Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is anybody really talking so far about the graphic design of the card faces? I don't know about anyone else, and I'm sure it will depend on what size they end up being displayed in the client, but in places like this card gallery they're displayed at about the same size on my monitor as paper Magic cards but seem far less easy on the eyes. At the very least they seem significantly harder to read or make sense of than the classic Magic cardface, and given how much bellyaching there seems to be about that every time it comes up, I'm surprised there isn't more critique about this aspect of the design.

Having said that, I'll be backing this around the first of the month, when I can be sure how much I have to spend. From what I can tell, if it's not a better experience than Magic in the long run, it'll be because it's held Magic's feet to the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jedit posted:

What's hard to read about them? I'm astigmatic and have no problems other than with a couple of the lower resolution screencaps.

The font seems harder to read than it could be, it seems 'busier' than Magic with the symbols and stuff like the stylized frame for the 'cost,' and there doesn't seem like any reason (aside from getting sued less I guess) to put the 'power' and 'toughness' in separate corners so that they're not as easy to take in at a glance. And yes, I realize that you can blow them up onscreen, but it seems weird for the size of your average physical TCG card to not be the standard at which these will be viewed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Korak posted:

What I don't understand is, why not just have a a thing called X Block where you will always play against the same cards of that set. So if you love X Block, you can keep playing it as long as you can find other players that like that block. You could have a block where people vote on the cards they want to see in the block.

You could have a million different things that isn't feasible for WotC to do with Magic. I just really hope the dev team for Hex tap into that reality. They can certainly make it so cards only lose value by being beaten consistently by better configured decks.

Block Constructed is a thing in Magic and technically even the old block constructeds are still around, it's just that "as long as you can find other players that like that block" usually translates into "extremely rarely if ever" for anything but the most recent one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oh man, I want them to make an obvious name knockoff of Floral Spuzzem that has an AI so it actually CAN make decisions on its own.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Jesus Christ, that'd be embarrassing even if it were a human.

Maybe I'm just not understanding it but how is the relationship between her left hip and the corresponding leg supposed to even work

e: I have to say though that after reading the article that's like the only coyotle design that's embarrassing to me, at least for sexuality-related reasons. Most of the other pictures (including the ones that are pages of concept sketches, so like a dozen character designs total) seem pretty awesome. It's like they generally had a handle on the art direction and then brainfarted on one piece of terrible furry cheesecake?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 1, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Since I decided I wouldn't be trying to go to GP KC in my hometown after all, I used some of the money I would have spent on cards and entry fee and upped my pledge from the $20 to the $120 level. :getin: y'all

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The people who are pulling their plug to spite the opponent in a game they're losing aren't going to come back to the game anyway (or if they do, they'll be at a disadvantage on the timer or whatever, assuming it does the smart thing and follows MTGO's generally good timer system) so how is prohibiting reconnects going to prevent ragequits?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

thiswayliesmadness posted:

30 seconds was what they had in Chron X way back n' what I was used to, so just what I quoted. Admit it's not really a good amount of time to reconnect, especially if you have to go all out and reboot your modem each time. It was an issue in Tourney's during With Authority! because someone would get into a match, get stomped early and pull the plug. Log back in with enough time to restart the match and possibly screw over your opponent. They really didn't do much to counter it besides add a 'disconnect %' underneath their w/l/d record so you'd have a good idea who was doing it regularly. But those same people could just create a new account and trade all their cards to it so...

Just something I've been dicked over on other online TCG's and hoping to not have to deal with.

What does "enough time to restart the match" mean in this context?

Like I said, in MTGO, if someone rage disconnects then comes back X minutes later, they've affected nothing except get themselves X minutes further into the hole on their clock. If it's more than 10 minutes or whatever, they're down a game. They still have to deal with the match as it was. I think that was a pretty good system and it doesn't screw over legit disconnects any more than it absolutely has to in order to keep the matches moving.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

If someone disconnects from your unranked casual match why do you even care? Just fire up another match and move on.

Yeah, this is what I do in MTGO.

The answer to pretty much anything related to game clocks and disconnects is likely to be "just do it the way MTGO does." Ditto draft picks when you disconnect and such. There's a lot of MTGO that deserves to be set on fire and left burning on the trash heap of history, but this isn't one of them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Honestly I can't wait to see what ridiculously customized poo poo you have to run to beat some of these raids. I'm looking forward to synergistic decks being used in 3v1. It's way more interesting than gearscore.

If it's anything like WoW the raids will, eventually if not initially, be tuned down so that you can grind them down with whatever dumb poo poo you bring. :shepface:

But I agree with you, I've always been utterly fascinated by the min-maxing poo poo that people on the bleeding edge of MMO raids do to beat challenging content, and I can't wait to see what that entails in a TCG format.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Regardless of how many boosters per month you can get at $1 before you have to move to paying a WHOLE TWO DOLLARS, it's still going to be an insanely good entertainment value compared to the other options in the genre (assuming that the game is fun to draft in the first place).

I really hope this takes off so that MTGO's feet (and MTG's in general) get held to the fire. I know that it's a tall order to significantly break into this market, similar to trying to break into the traditional MMORPG market with WoW serving as the 700-pound gorilla, but I'm going to hope every time it comes along.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sacrificial Toast posted:

It's not like they can really beat Wizards anyway. MtG has Hexproof.

Unfortunately, because it's Hexproof instead of Shroud, they can cast their own bad design/business decisions on it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Consider that the part anyone cares about isn't the rarity stamp, it's how onerous it is to get something. Drowned Catacomb and Underground Sea are both "rare." It's trivial in principle to create a game where cards are "rare" coming out of booster packs yet are reasonably easy to acquire for constructed, and one hopes Cryptozoic will learn from others' pasts in that regard.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

A lot of people, when they say "going infinite," include selling off all the cards you draft (that are at least marginally valuable as singles, obviously). You still need to finish in the prizes of an 8-4 or whatever with decent frequency to go infinite in limited, but each time you get a good mythic or a staple rare it gives you a little bit more of a cushion for when you have bad beats.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Veyrall posted:

God the Shin'Hare look like complete rear end. Like a parody of a Saturday morning cartoon or something.

You shut your mouth. :mad:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zonekeeper posted:

Huh, so Hex counterspells have Stifle's effect built in. That's certainly a way to do it. I know 3 mana counters aren't very exciting to seasoned Magic players, but that plus the cost increase might push it into 'playable' territory at 3 mana.

Plus, the reason why 3 mana vanilla counters are underwhelming to us is that we're used to thinking of 2 mana as being the base price point, or 3 mana with added value. Until we know what Hex's curves tend to look like in practice, we won't have as good an idea what to think of a 3 mana counter, will we?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Kubert posted:

I think the biggest problem with some of the Magic dual lands is that they often don't offer very interesting decisions when deck building. Bad design would be making a dual resource that makes any deck playing both of those colors strictly better rather than playing a basic resource in its place. Good design, then, would be making a dual resource interesting enough so that a player has to make an interesting decision whether to include it in their deck or not. This is easier said than done, the design space for resources in TCGs is typically very limited.

By this standard Magic has been doing bad design pretty much forever (not that I necessarily disagree with you, at least where manabases are concerned).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Doom lied to me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gross Dude posted:

Why wouldn't they call it incubus?

Perhaps they thought that an amusing portmanteau was better than the strictly accurate name. :shrug:

Also is it just an artifact of the picture or does dude have huge nipple rings

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

All Nines posted:

Regardless of whether or not Cryptozoic comes out of this well, this is a huge downer; setting aside my frustration with the possibility of this game being shut down after I've invested in it, it's really depressing that Hasbro/WotC would rather use their money to make other games worse/go under than make their own game better by paying for decent programming. It would be much less upsetting if they were actually trying to compete and simply had a better product to offer than Cryptozoic.

This seems to be something that happens whenever a nerdgame company gets huge enough to be an up uP UP capitalist behemoth rather than an, um, game company. This sort of intimidation lawsuit is exactly the same thing as Games Workshop did.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

...annnnnnd that means I'm out of this thread until this is all resolved

What? Do you think WOTC's lawyers are going to come after you for posting here? Am I missing some context?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I know I'll be preaching to the choir here, but it's really dubious to claim that the effective duplicates of Magic cards are evidence of Cryptozoic doing something shady or wrong rather than just being good game designers. If we assume that it's not a violation of copyright to largely use the same sorts of game mechanics--and it seems to have been established that it is not--then certain card designs, especially when you're dealing with simple ones, are pretty likely to emerge.

Take the Atrophy/Instill Infection comparison. Is the idea of permanently weakening a creature (whether you need to use a counter to represent it or not) obvious? I would say yes. Is the idea of cantrips obvious? Again yes. Saying that, a cantrip that permanently gives -1/-1 is pretty likely to emerge as a draft common. Now the other aspect of the card that looks copied: the cost. Well, what should they cost it at? Presumably Magic's designers are smart game designers who costed it at 3B because that is a reasonable, obvious cost for this card in this sort of TCG!

Now--obviously I don't claim that Hex designed the closer duplicates in a complete vacuum, I'm sure they're all aware of Magic and its card designs and "knew" that 2BB would be a good cost for their not-Damnation (for example), but asking them to wipe their own memories and reinvent the wheel seems a bit much, especially when they would end up with the same result again if their design was good (and presumably have exactly the same amount of nerds complaining that they'd copied things).

Once again this is all predicated on the (I believe correct) assumption that Cryptozoic is not in violation for having mana, power, toughness, etc., by different names, but once you grant that premise, I don't see how you can blame them for having some duplicates, especially given that Magic has had literally 20 years to camp out many of the remotely obvious or good card designs. That's not even getting into the much looser comparisons in an already cherry-picked list, like the Greed comparison where Hex's costs 1BB and 2 to activate, or the Form of the Dragon comparison where it shares the cost and Moat clause (and flavor, but I think we can laugh out any implication that Wizards has a claim on the idea of your fantasy wizard turning into a dragon) but differs mechanically in some other, potentially very significant even, ways.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Karnegal posted:

This is a good article, people should read it.

It was an illuminating read but I'm confused by the conclusion. From my lay perspective, it seems as though he spends most of the article talking about how WOTC's claims are weak, spurious, etc., and then predicts that Wizards will win on patent claims and has a good shot at winning on copyright claims. I don't see how he got around to that conclusion unless he's just really cynical about who the judge will probably favor, or assumes that the discovery phase will reveal poo poo that is damning to Cryptozoic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Did my first two drafts today, scrubbed out in the first round both times.

For some reason, although I knew that power and toughness switching effects and other granted abilities lasted through zone changes in Hex, I didn't realize that the Pacifism effect would, too. Oh well. :shepicide:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Afgad posted:

So here is a question for you Hexagoons:

Can all of you see the Nobles forum on the Hex official forum? Can anyone with an account see it? We're all kind of curious what it is and how exclusive "nobility" seems to be. Some info from you guys could help narrow down exactly what's going on.

I'm not sure I'm interpreting your question correctly, but are you asking because you don't know what a Noble is? There was an explanation at the end of the backer e-mail today (the same one that gave their statement on the lawsuit). Basically, they're community helpers. If you know MTGO, think ORCs. I believe that's what they are, anyway.

If you're asking how to become one, I have no idea.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I cannot draft an aggro deck without being paired against a deck where every single card incidentally gains life in round one.

Those are my favorite kinds of decks to draft so far. :getin:

Ironically I'm drafting a ruby/blood orc aggro deck just at the moment. It will probably be bad and lose.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

How do I rejoin a game if I got disconnected? When I restarted, it got me back to the tournament lobby, but not to the game.

edit: Okay after waiting there for a minute or two it popped up the sideboarding screen but without any cards or champion visible and nothing happens when I click save & continue. Waiting for the timer to run out and I'll see what happened :shepicide:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

gently caress, it lost me the match 2-1. I was up 1-0 too, got disconnected in the middle of the second game in a winning position. Pretty tilted right now. Where do I go to file for reimbursement, again?

e: never mind, found it. Ticket in. Their support site seems kind of... low-rent, I want to say? Like it doesn't have the polish the rest of their stuff has. And why did I have to make an account for the support site when I already have an account with them? :shepicide:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 22, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Evolve is not a quick action.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

No, but Wild Aura is and I keep getting those two mixed up.

Exactly. I learned this in the middle of combat a short while ago.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Thoom posted:

Won a draft with a deck I thought was actually quite mediocre. Never underestimate the power of Swiftstrike Mazat Ranger and Wind Whisperer. I guess the 2 solitary exiles, 2 terrible transfers, and an inner conflict didn't hurt either, but the Ranger and Whisperer did most of the leg work.

I spend a lot of drafts trying to force "Bant" colors because it's what appeals to me on many levels, but now that I've got a number of those under my belt, I feel like I should go heavy blood more often. Blood seems criminally underdrafted most of the time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I think I might not be drafting as much until they push an update to the beta to address some issues with reconnecting. Supposedly they made this possible, but while I've been able to reconnect a time or two, it's far from foolproof. It'll put me back in the current game but then not let me sideboard and forfeit the match for me, or it will put me back in the tournament after the first disconnect but not the second. They've been very good about reimbursement so far but that doesn't make it not a hassle to do it every time.

Really, one problem is just that as far as I can tell one can't manually click back to the tournament, you have to trust that the client will put you there. MTGO (prior to the current beta version) had a setup that was good in this respect, in that when you logged back in your games, tournaments, etc. reappeared as tabs and you could get back to them that way. Is there a way to get that functionality that I'm not seeing here?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zurai posted:

Did you have multiple Battle Hoppers out? My guess just based on templating would be that "name a troop you control" wouldn't fail as long as you controlled a troop by that name when the effect resolved, while "target a troop you control" would fail if the specific targeted troop died before the effect resolved. That said, Oath does use the targeting interface so it's probably just a poorly-templated card.

I've seen this card a few times but never actually used it, so I sort of glossed over the fact that it says "name a troop you control" and not just "name a troop," the way it would in Magic. That's a fairly significant difference in some cases. :geno:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

So is it the case, or am I just completely delusional about what I did, that when you change gems during sideboarding, the changes will persist into later rounds?

Because I'm 99% sure that's what happened to me. I started out with the "intimidate" gems in my 3/1 ogre guys. Got paired up against a mirror match so I swapped them for -1/-1 on block gems. In the finals, where I'm sure I hadn't changed them during sideboarding, the -1/-1 gems showed up in the ogres I drew, costing me the game, match and tournament.

I'm not really mad but I am curious if this is happening.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Although you can probably turn it off somewhere, I have to say that the default state of the profanity filter in HEX is hilariously bad. Like, I recall making fun of pretty much these exact same mistakes in primitive forums software in 2000. It censors the string 'rear end' out of entirely non-buttock-related words all the time, and I just watched it bleep 'semen' out of 'reimbursement.'

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Open the chat box settings, uncheck profanity filter, done. It's super duper easy to turn it off. It's worth noting that you couldn't do this in the alpha.

Yeah, like I said, I didn't doubt that you could turn it off, and it doesn't really bother me--my post was more of just sitting here laughing about how anyone could code something that silly. :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Not that I know what I'm doing, but man, Soul Marble owned my draft deck hard. I mean, the first game I was doing lousy because of mana troubles anyway, but I had no counter for Soul Armaments even so. I was pulling ahead in the rematch because my opponent had some early mana troubles, and he only had a Scrivener for the Armaments to pump by the time he finally got them up, whereas I had a full house of critters including a flight gemmed Grim Skull Sorcerer and was gaining life off every one due to my own Scrivener...but then he plopped down a flier of his own that was promptly bigger and that was the beginning of the end. I couldn't really connect again and I just never got any way to make a beneficial trade against his pumped guys and hadn't drafted any sort of constant removal. (To be fair, I'm not sure there was even anything in the spread that could.)

Still, fun game and I got one third of the Triumvirate while I was at it.

Soul Marble is an insane bomb in draft from what I've seen. Like, worth splashing as your only diamond card, IMO, unless maybe your deck is just removal and a few fatties.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Gross Dude posted:

New patch is up with something I am stupidly excited for..... sleeves in limited tournaments. :D

As of a few hours ago the new patch had also introduced a bug with priorities not appearing properly in certain situations, so nobody could do anything. Also tournaments were down. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I was able to play a few constructed games, including accepting a challenge, but most of them fell victim to the priority bug. It appears to be particularly associated with Countermagic, but it hit at least once outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I assume the "competitive" draft queue is the single elim one? It's confusing how they've labeled them.

• Locked thread