Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Given the mythology that originates with our own sun and moon, imagine the kind of gods and myths that would belong to an intelligent civilization of such a world. I mean a massive gas giant and bright suns in very vibrant red and blue, combined with those eclipses... :allears:

Imagine when they figure out how big the red one is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Just...gently caress. 0.9.7.2. :stare:

I will never get tired of this beautiful goddamn game.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Oooh, anyone else seen a smaller gas giant orbiting a larger one with there being a bunch of other moons? All I've had before this are twin systems with two gas giants of roughly equal mass and diameter orbiting each other, ran into this one on M4:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Once in a while I'll run into something that's like half a dozen Jupiter masses with something Neptune-sized around it and a few normal moons, yeah.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I wanted to point out the pictures that are especially amazing in that post but gently caress that, they are all amazing.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
When you guys are saying things like xJupiter masses or whatever, is there some way in game to see the dimensions of bodies expressed in those terms, as opposed to raw numbers? Or do you all know the diameter of the Sun off by heart and can figure it out for yourselves?

What I mean is all the numbers in the top left are pretty meaningless to someone without a frame of reference.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Dekko posted:

When you guys are saying things like xJupiter masses or whatever, is there some way in game to see the dimensions of bodies expressed in those terms, as opposed to raw numbers? Or do you all know the diameter of the Sun off by heart and can figure it out for yourselves?

What I mean is all the numbers in the top left are pretty meaningless to someone without a frame of reference.
Well, in this image for example,

The circle with a + sign in it in the mass and diameter fields is the traditional symbol for Earth, so you know that that particular body is about 2.65x Earth's diameter and about 8 and a half times Earth's mass. When a body passes a certain threshold, it stops measuring in comparison to Earth mass/diameter and starts measuring in relation to Jupiter, and replaces the 🜨 symbol with a ♃, the traditional sign for Jupiter. Likewise for ☉ once you start getting up into solar masses/diameters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dekko posted:

You can also do this for any system:

Dekko
May 23, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Well, in this image for example,

The circle with a + sign in it in the mass and diameter fields is the traditional symbol for Earth, so you know that that particular body is about 2.65x Earth's diameter and about 8 and a half times Earth's mass. When a body passes a certain threshold, it stops measuring in comparison to Earth mass/diameter and starts measuring in relation to Jupiter, and replaces the 🜨 symbol with a ♃, the traditional sign for Jupiter. Likewise for ☉ once you start getting up into solar masses/diameters.

Thanks, now I can stop alt-tabbing to wikipedia at every new planet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I linked the download site to some buddies only to discover the site is down. Anybody know what the deal is... or have a mirror to the latest version?

vvv awesome, thanks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 13, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GreatGreen posted:

So I linked the download site to some buddies only to discover the site is down. Anybody know what the deal is... or have a mirror to the latest version?
It's actually up but if for some reason you can't enter it here are some direct links of various mirrors:

http://funix.mirror.spaceengine.org/engine/latest/SE-0972-setup.exe
http://rv1109.1blu.de/spaceengine/SE-0972-setup.exe
https://yadi.sk/d/mYqSJYsqdeL77
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3QD-W_7cA1IdDFpd2VQR3EyYmc/view?usp=sharing
http://www.indiedb.com/downloads/mirror/78636/102/f23a02cfc1133563f8bd6cacd9578138
https://content.wuala.com/contents/DDDuke/Latest/SE-0972-setup.exe/?dl=1

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New stuff for the next release, other planetary bodies will cast shadows on the rings of other planets and Auroras are more detailed:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

0.9.7.3. released:

http://en.spaceengine.org/load/core/spaceengine0973patch/2-1-0-31

Changelog and all that.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Just...gently caress. 0.9.7.2. :stare:

I will never get tired of this beautiful goddamn game.
I made a quick and dirty desktop background

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So good that the guy is still working on this. I hope that when he finally gets to a relatively stable version he'll finally release it as Early Access.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Apparently the advanced Auto Exposure has been removed from this version (info from FB), he says you can reenable in the console with "set AutoExposureMode 2".
Going to do the usual download in case it now works for my GPU...
Also to note, it's a patch for version 0.9.7.2 so you need that first.

e: :siren:HOLY gently caress it actually works on my AMD card again!:siren: Finally! OK Terra worlds aren't loading landscape properly but everything else seems ok... Goddamn!
This is on an AMD HD6870 for anyone interested. Hasn't worked for a good half a year at least but this patch seems to have gotten most things going fine.
He's updated the planet detail a lot (maybe not since last version but definitely since I last played), this is incredible:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 17, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
0.9.7.3 Photodump...mostly focusing on planets because they look loving amazing after the update:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What's that fire object in 2,3, and final pics?

Beautiful pics btw

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My guess would be a very rapidly spinning star...?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Man, this new update is beyond gorgeous but it kills my graphics card to death. :sad: When a planet fills my screen, I either have to turn off clouds and atmospheres or live with sub-10 fps rates. Boo.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

site posted:

What's that fire object in 2,3, and final pics?

Beautiful pics btw
Rapidly-spinning red (super/hyper)giant. Spinning faster makes it more ellipsoidal, and the puffiness is what some models predict large enough red giants actually look like.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh wow. Actually I had asked because in those pictures it looks so close. I was kinda thinking it was some sort of controllable ship mod you were using or something.

Strange how dim it is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

site posted:

Oh wow. Actually I had asked because in those pictures it looks so close. I was kinda thinking it was some sort of controllable ship mod you were using or something.

Strange how dim it is.

I think it might be a setting I have on, it would probably appear brighter in RL. It's actually not THAT close, just like 1200 times the size of our sun and so on...

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 22, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

site posted:

Strange how dim it is.

The game controls brightness and contrast to let you see detail on objects quite a bit, doesn't it?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The game controls brightness and contrast to let you see detail on objects quite a bit, doesn't it?
It has an auto-exposure that you can disable, yeah.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

DarkCrawler posted:

0.9.7.3 Photodump...mostly focusing on planets because they look loving amazing after the update:

Do you mind posting your specs? I'm building a new PC and want to make pretties like this.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Haven't been able to check out the new version yet, can I see some of these new conical volcanoes? Hopefully that's the end of the flat nonsense we had in 0.9.7.2

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It has an auto-exposure that you can disable, yeah.

Which is neat because then you can pick between realistic lighting model in space where you can't see stars when a nearby bright object is visible, or a more sci-fi movie model where you can see other systems basically all the time.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Haven't been able to check out the new version yet, can I see some of these new conical volcanoes? Hopefully that's the end of the flat nonsense we had in 0.9.7.2

I've only seen the flat ones, didn't realise there were meant to be conical ones in this version? If there are, someone post screenshots already!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Messed around for a couple hours and couldn't find any towering volcanoes. No regrets, though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Peas and Rice posted:

Do you mind posting your specs? I'm building a new PC and want to make pretties like this.

I would but I know jack and poo poo about computers! I bought this off my friend for $1000 and trusted his word that its a good one.

What I could find out from the basic Windows system look:
8G ram
AMD FX 4530 Quad-Core Processor
AMD Radeon HD 7800

Another photodump, I hope people aren't getting sick of these. Messing around in other galaxies for pretty much the first time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

What is that?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

DarkCrawler posted:

I would but I know jack and poo poo about computers! I bought this off my friend for $1000 and trusted his word that its a good one.

What I could find out from the basic Windows system look:
8G ram
AMD FX 4530 Quad-Core Processor
AMD Radeon HD 7800

Thanks... the system I'm trying to build should make pretties no problem then. And by all means keep posting cool poo poo.

quote:

What is that?

Where god lives I think.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Met posted:

What is that?

Some kind of perfectly shaped planetary nebula maybe?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DarkCrawler posted:

cool pictures
Don't worry, photo dumps are always cool in this thread!

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

It's a supernova remnant. See: Crab Nebula, or the more spherical Tycho supernova remnant

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nothing new on the Space Engine front but No Man's Sky is coming to PC alongside PS4 so for everyone that loves SpaceEngine you should look forward to that as well.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
post more pics you motherfuckers

EDIT: Besides a short period of exploring other galaxies that filled me with existential dread, still staying in the confines of the same star cluster I've been exploring the entire time (or systems immediately close to it) I've had this program...INFINITY GAME

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 11, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man this game sightseer is looking prettier all the time. I should really try it some day. Is a 560ti decent enough to run it and still look good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man this game sightseer is looking prettier all the time. I should really try it some day. Is a 560ti decent enough to run it and still look good?
I still have a 280 and I made it work pretty well.

• Locked thread