Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Playing without CK2 has made me remember how painful it is rebelling against large empires. The Byzantines are able to call an absurd number of troops when literally have one loyal vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Can someone explain the difference between a republic and a merchant republic too me? Or more specifically; how can I make a merchant republic as a one of those finno-urgic dukes north of Russia? I want to try a gimmick game as a stuffy patrician family at the edge of the world but all of my attempts so far have ended up creating unplayable republics.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Ah, that's the problem. There are no cities on the northern coast, so I've been granting inland mayors coastal provinces - Guess I'll have to play as a duke for a while til I build the funds to get a city up there.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Also the cost/benefit relationship between over a thousand gold and having to let your levies reraise for 6 months. Even if raiding meant you lost your army half the time it would still be insanely profitable.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

CK2+'s patch notes are a bit contradictory there. Do reformed pagans get to use rivers or not?

I suspect the latter half of the patch notes are a copy paste from the beta patch, since they appear to be identical.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Fintilgin posted:

I usually leave it off, although I love that they made it. I think if I were to play a Sunset Invasion game I'd start with some power in middle Europe (Italy? Poland?) right before the date the Aztecs show up (1300?) with the goal of playing out CKII to get myself in position for a alt-scenario EUIV game.

The one time I left SUnset Invasion on and played a full game this happened:

None of the Hordes ever had serious revolts or broke apart, it was terrible world of monster Empires totally ignoring eachother and dividing the scraps between themselves.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Four loving generations of fighting the kings of Pannonia and I can't get a single goddamn win in battle. 7000 of Lombard's finest heavy inventory vs. a bunch balkinite fuckers with sticks and my troops rout at first contact every goddamn time. I do not understand this game's combat system at all, i do not understand how I enter a battle with even troop numbers on even terrain and I lose 5000 men while they lose 500, and my incompetence in making me angry and sour.

Like i can take my decent rulers being assassinated by rivalrous dukes I don't even know loving exist two generations in a row, i can take fuckwit seducers spamming my Duchess' with events over and over with no option to turn them down, but I can't take spending 100 years mustering every single resource i can to take down a single pagan kingdom and losing every battle like they were the french vs. EU3 natives.

I hate that my wrothful and brave Duke can spend 8 years in the war focus, not gain a single point of martial, and then loses brave randomly I'm. I hate that I hit 'Get Help With New Holdings' button and it gave away my best land without even giving me a yes or no prompt (this is totally my fault I'm a loving retard but I'm still mad about it)! Every time I try to do anything cool in an ironman game i just get horrifically frustrated and I feel the only way I'll ever be able to finish a full game and get that achievement is to start in the loving faeores and spend 15 hours watching the map change colors because everytime I actually try to play the game my troops get jelly knee and my liege's are immortal genius shitlord's with a hardon for crown authority and getting into random wars against the only friendly neighbors i have.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

I've already deleted the save so unfortunately no record exists of my failure other than my subsequent welching.

It's a testament to the quality of the game that I've spent the last hour or so reflecting on how it took an incredible amount of mistakes and carelessness on my part to end up in a situation of total failure, and how at every turn there were better and more reliable options I could have chosen. For example, I was using elective succession as a pure dukedom (no counts under me) so I had complete control of who my heir was, and despite this I still ended up with playing in regency for like 1/4 of my run because I always choose my characters kids to inherit since it seemed like the simplest thing to do. I think it's really easy for people who don't normally play Ironman to tunnel-vision on one aspect of the game (gotta defeat these pagans!) and then get totally blindsided by something else but still not really learn their lesson since they can just reload and adjust their play accordingly.

Volkerball posted:

Are you assigning flank leaders to your stacks?

I'm making sure their are three dudes who aren't craven in each command bubble on the army screen, is there something more I should be doing?

edit: Someone give me a moderately hard goal (like 'Become the independent King of Croatia as a Lombard Duke') and I'll chronicle my attempt and post it. The only major DLC I don't have is Rajas of India.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 8, 2015

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

I thought that when you used the 'Found a New Kingdom' option from the intrigue menu it would let you choose the name and color of your new kingdom. Instead it just gave me the Kingdom of Croatia title, which I already had the requirements for and could've gotten at any time.

I just wanted to make a sweet blue colored Kingdom of Aquileia, why is that so hard :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a DLC that lets you edit basically everything.

Can you use it while in IRONMAN mode?

Ragequit inducing event of the day: Pick the stewardship lifepath for my pretty good king, get Depressed, Stressed and Ill within three years and dies at 38. Then his son inherits at around 9 years old and rolls the Ambitious event - his guardian removes it. I change his guardian and then the kid rolls the diligent event - his new guardian removes it and gives him slothful instead.

He's still quick and will probably turn out fine after a pilgrimage and some hunting expeditions, but holy moly did my lineage's situation go from good to complete trash in less then a decade.

• Locked thread