Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My first game in the Old Gods, and I'm having an absolute blast. In two raids I somehow first found a battleaxe + 2 (hilarious, and gives you martial skill), and also managed to abduct a young Carolingian woman and her son from a besieged castle. While I was out doing this, my brother (thanks forced Gavelkind) rebels and I hire a bunch of mercenaries to kick his rear end. This takes a while, and the Carolingian kid comes of age. Of course, I then make his mother into my concubine, knock her up, then hold a viking feast thing (blot?) where I sacrifice him and then, despire much pleading, my brother. Yeah, Charlemagne can't help you here bitches. As it stands I'm a kinslayer but everyone, including Odin, I hope, seems to love me thanks to all my sacrificing. Except my Carolingian concubine, of course, who I am fully anticipating sending assassins my way anytime soon.

Also, Jorvik has somehow conquered all of England. I love how much more scope for things going totally off the rails there is with the earlier start date, and with no horrible Holy Roman blob in the middle of the map. Brilliant expansion, well worth the extra few dollars, and I haven't even looked into the non-norse pagans yet.

fake edit: One minor annoyance - the number of times I've sailed my men halfway across Europe to do some sweet raiding, only to realise I forgot to toggle them into loot mode. That could be tweaked, slightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Torrannor posted:

I can swear fealty as a king to an emperor. Is that new with The Old Gods?

I think you've always been able to do that if they're your de jure liege.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ymel posted:

Seems like they forgot the Schism doesn't happen until 1054, there are no orthodox and catholics at 867!

Apparently they realised this, but decided for gameplay reasons to have a divide earlier. They justify it by saying that while they were still technically together until the mid-11th C, they were pretty divided theologically speaking. It's a reasonable compromise considering the amount of work they would have needed to put into making it more realistic - Rome was at odds with Constantinople well before that, but I agree they should have done something with it, even if that was just a few events for flavour. I would hope that if they ever do a theocracy DLC (which I guess would likely be their last) they would address the Catholic/Orthodox issue a bit more alongside expanding papal elections etc. At any rate, I find it hard to complain given how much stuff has been added by the Old Gods.

Also, has anyone been a little dull and played a standard Catholic ruler from the earliest startdate? While being a viking is great fun, I can imagine it would be very frustrating to have tons of them running all over your realm as Charles the Bald or whatever (historically accurate, if nothing else).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

So I'm trying to reform the Norse faith. Finally got three holy sites and plenty of piety, only to find that moral authority needs to be 50% minimum and it's currently at 30% and dropping fast. Is there any way to correct this or have I missed the boat?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Also, I was wondering whether there was a limit with regards how powerful stats can make you. If I was to make a monster 60 martial guy in the ruler generator, would he be more or less unstoppable, or is it a case of diminishing returns? For example is it a case of everything over 30 or so doesn't make a great deal of difference, or could you make a guy with every point in martial who could just take on an army of 5000 with 500 men and win?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Smirr posted:

You could do it like me: curse a lot and briefly consider fighting (in your case) 20 subjugation wars before your guy drops (taking a cool 200 years if you don't have the "become king" ambition), then say "gently caress it" and edit your savegame so you have 50% authority. v:shobon:v But yeah, if you don't want to cheat you need to ramp up the conquering.

How exactly would I do this? No matter what I do I can't seem to conquer faster than I lose authority, because other norse guys are currently having their asses handed to them by catholic England.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Smirr posted:

Open the savegame you want to modify in a text editor (the savegame is in My Documents, and using Notepad++ is advisable for Paradox savegame editing/modding). The religions are towards the end of the save file. If you do a search for "norse_pagan=", there should only be one hit and that's the block you want to modify. It should look like this:

code:
	norse_pagan=
	{
		parent="noreligion"
		reformed="norse_pagan_reformed"
		authority=
		{
			modifier="lost_holy_war"
			date="977.6.29"
		}
		authority=
		{
			modifier="looted_infidel_temple"
			date="967.5.27"
		}
 [and so on...]
	}
It doesn't tell you what % authority is at, so take note of what it is in-game. What I did then was to simply repeat this modifier, from a war I had actually won, 11 times (I was 11 points short and it's worth one point each):

code:
		authority=
		{
			modifier="won_county_conquest"
			date="975.3.29"
		}
I used the same date for all 11 wars that I "won". The game doesn't seem to care. Although you might want to take care that you follow the chronological order of newer events towards the top - I'm not sure if that makes a difference. When I loaded that save I had 50% authority. There might be better ways of doing this (e.g. using a modifier that gives you more than one point so you don't have to c&p as often), but if it works it works.

Thanks man. Somehow, I managed to do it without cheating. Burned a lot of churches. The fate of the reformed Norse faith is looking pretty good right now. Norway has been united under my rule and my first son and heir is betrothed to the infant queen of Denmark. Brilliant.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Erm, I called a Great Holy War against the German queen and for some reason my only allowed targets were Hungary and Frisia? Any good reason why this would be? She owns a hell of a lot more than that, and I wanted to take Brunswick as the Bishopric of Paderborn in it is the only Norse holy site I have left to take. I'm Norway and have spot on 40 holdings.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I'll ask again, because I'm damned confused and could use an answer. I prepared an invasion against the Queen of Germany (I thought it was a Great Holy War but apparently not as they're not available until 1100 and I'm still unsure of the difference). I wanted to invade Brunswick to get that last Norse holy site, but my only allowed targets were Frisia and Hungary. Any reason why this should be the case? Standard Holy Wars are still available for the other areas (I'm reformed) but using them would have cost me all the independent adventurers who turned up to help.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Pakled posted:

Prepared Invasions can only target titles that control between 9 and 40 provinces. Maybe Brunswick has fewer than 9 provinces.

Ah, I see. Would that be de facto or De Jure? Because I'm sure Frisia had less than 9 provinces too.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Really I would kill for some sort of Last Will and Testament mechanic that worked such that when your character dies (or even before) you are called upon to parcel out inheritances for your heirs, with succession wars if your heirs don't agree to the terms of your will.

Yeah, I suggested this earlier in the thread. I don't think it would be too hard to implement, really. Just have a function where you can allocate a successor to each title in the same way you would a bishop under free investiture.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I just noticed that Byzantium has reconquered all of Italy and a ton of the middle east. I think the only Pentarch still missing is Alexandria. Got me thinking, can the AI fix the schism/reform the Roman empire? I've never seen it happen but it would be drat cool.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Is it possible to challenge people to duels or is that just a random event that happens sometimes?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

In my first huge Scandinavian empire Norse game, Europe just looks ridiculous. The Abbasids own all of West Africa, Arabia, Iberia and France and are therefore impenetrable. the Byzantines conquered right up to Holland before fragmenting into a hideous patchwork of warring states, so Orthodox christianity is the dominant religion in most of Europe. The Pope only owns about three random bishoprics and his moral authority is less than 20. The only significant Catholic concentration is on the British Isles, which is owned by Fraticellis and is in the process of being converted. All of what used to be Lotharingia/East Francia is Cathar. The map is just a goddam mess. Is this normal? Obviously things can and do go totally off the rails, but I never expected to see the total collapse of Catholicism by the mid 12th Century, and the Muslim states seem horribly overpowered at the Old Gods startdate.

Rejected Fate posted:

Is there a console command that allows you to change capital freely?

Also, it says you can't change capitals more than once per ruler unless it is to the traditional capital. Is there any way of telling exactly which provinces are these 'traditional capitals'? I mean, it's easy enough to work out with areas you're personally familiar with, but otherwise not so much.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Also, it makes perfect historical sense that all of the Karling realms should have claims on each other (And I've still not seen Francia reform itself naturally).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Has anyone played a single game from the Old Gods start where Catholicism has survived in any functional capacity? Every time, the Ummayads overrun France and blob, the Abbassids usually do the same to the middle east and take over most of Anatolia and the the Magyars tend to form the empire of Carpathia and own the whole north east down to Germany. Honestly, the only place I see regularly stay Catholic is the British Isles and (if the Byzantines get trounced by the Abbasids before they overrun it) Italy. I like the setting, I just wish it was more balanced - without player interference it just ends up as three giant blobs (Ummayad, Abbassid, Carpathia) with only Britain, Scandinvia and maybe Italy escaping. It's just kind of dull when that happens, and for some reason none of the huge empires ever seems to want to fracture via civil war. The Abbasids were sitting at 100% decadence for half a century with no effect, and by the time anything did come of it they could raise something like 150k levies easily so it was never any real problem.

On that note, I'm beginning to think retinues need some rebalancing. When kings/emperors get uber-powerful they are the only ones who can acquire/afford large contingents in their respective realms so it makes anything but the most serious, universal revolt trivial to put down.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Still curious as to whether anyone has seen Catholicism survive in any real way from the Old Gods start? I've never had a game that didn't end up with the Muslims taking France and the Magyars taking Germany. Maybe if Francia was reunited?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Not enough to make an entire DLC out of, I don't think, however, naval power was far more important than its portrayed in CKII. I mean invading an established England wouldn't be easy simply because of their ability to crank out ships and meet them in the channel. The English and the French also fought a number of small battle in said channel and along the coasts, including the Phillipi Races of the Hundred Years War. Further, naval power was how the (and I am loathe to use the word, but for lack of a better term) Arabs managed to conquer and hold Sicly and Spain for as long as they did. In fact their loss of those territories can be attributed in part to their decline in naval superiority. Likewise, the naval power was especially important for the Italian Merchant Republics, because it was how they could assure their trade dominance.

Shorter version: Naval power should be able to assist you in repelling invasions and would give you an incentive to invest in naval infrastructure.

Don't forget Lepanto, which effectively stopped Ottoman expansion in its tracks! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lepanto

Granted, it was a while after the CK2 period, but not excessively so. Just goes to show that naval battles could on occasion prove even more decisive than those on land.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's weird how...normal things can look after you beat back the Vikings.

P.S. Alfred the Great is an amazingly fun start.

The Alfred the Great start obviously has a lot of potential, but I just can't seem to beat back Ivar the Boneless. He just throws 10k doomstacks at my few thousand guys. How do you guys go about beating him? It doesn't help that despite his amazing stats Alfred starts as with only two counties and his craven brother for a liege (who just won't die).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

So what exactly is the point in sending missionaries to pagan states when they always just imprison them within days? Is there something I'm missing here?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Rumda posted:

or expand the map south to the cape

It would get a bit ridiculous though if you could sail round the Cape of Good Hope as a random Irish count in the ninth century. Maybe it could work if they tied your ability to enter certain naval tiles to tech progress, so you had to have a highly advanced navy for that sort of expedition. Even then, the first recorded historical rounding of Africa by a European power was by the Portuguese in the late fifteenth century so it would have to be a very late game thing if anything. It's probably not worth it on balance, because you'd then have to consider the wildly different political structures of the African/eastern provinces and research all of the historical rulers/locations. For the scope of CK2, it really works best to restrict it to Europe/the Middle East, so I'd much rather they made that experience more fleshed out (for example, I'd like to see the implementation of some sort of monastic system/a more complex Catholic church with Cardinals+Papal elections etc) than overextending themselves by adding substantially to the map.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

Weird that the Religion tab says that Lejre isn't under control of the Norse religion then. Might it be a city site that hasn't been built yet? Or, alternatively, got burnt to the ground completely? I've destroyed a couple cities while raiding already and I've not been raiding nearly as much as the rest of Scandinavia.

As I said the title finder wasn't finding it.

Alternatively, select the religion map overlay and all provinces with holy sites of your religion will be highlighted in white. Clicking a province of another religion in this mode also shows all of their holy sites. Can be handy for quick reference.

A related question: do you gain extra piety/moral authority for looting/taking another religion's holy sites or does it only affect them? What I mean is, is losing a holy site a purely negative thing, or does the person taking it get anything out of it beyond the usual spoils of conquest?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

Yea pretty much, it was a bunch of private armies lead by all sorts of nobles. Obviously the ones who communicated with each other more were the 'successful' ones.

Yeah, the First Crusade was more or less a clusterfuck in which individual warriors, bands and armies went over there with only the vaguest direction (LET'S GO GET US JERUSALEM!) and a hugely fragmented, ineffectual leadership. There was a bishop put in charge by the Pope (this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhemar_of_Le_Puy), but when it came down to it he couldn't get all the nobles to agree on anything (One guy, for example, decided to gently caress off on his own and conquer Edessa: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_I_of_Jerusalem). The whole thing came within the brink of collapse on numerous occasions. It's such a miracle that the enterprise succeeded I'm not surprised the participants took it as a sign from God, but really they'd just had the good fortune to hit Palestine right when the Middle East was experiencing crippling internal division that left it weak and vulnerable.

Oddly, enough, the Third Crusade is considered the most organised one usually. Despite this it was far less successful than the first. Richard the Lionheart and Philip Augustus get most of the attention, and they (Mostly Richard) did end up coming to more or less a stalemate with Saladin, but Frederick Barbarossa was also involved. He's probably one of the most tragic characters in the whole debacle (though I guess his death probably saved more than a few lives). He built one of the largest, best equipped armies Europe had ever seen and had the poised to turn the tide of war decisively in favour of the Christians, but then he drowned crossing a river which crippled the morale of his men who promptly deserted en masse.

That's not to say communication didn't help, it sure as hell did in most cases. However, the piecemeal First Crusade succeeded purely based on good luck, and I guess really the more organised Third Crusade collapsed because of bad luck. It was always a losing battle, despite a few successes.

(Which reminds me - I'd really, really like to see a First Crusade starting bookmark. You'd think that would have been in the game at release. Seems odd that something called 'Crusader Kings' has precisely one crusading start - the Third).

e: Whoops, beaten on a lot of that. Also, the 'exporting violent nobles to the east' theory isn't just a throwaway line by some historian, it's actually fairly well accepted that it played some part. It's been a while since I studied this in particular, but I remember reading that it was actually a conscious, open position of the Papacy and was connected to the whole Peace/Truce of God (in a very basic nutshell, the church asking the nobles if they would mind not killing each other so very much over all of Europe all the time). It was a happy coincidence - the Pope wanted Jerusalem, he also wanted some degree of peace (at least for the clergy) in Europe. The cause of the latter problem was the solution to the first.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 13, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Allyn posted:

Not 100% down on Republic mechanics (though I've been playing as them the past couple days) but you want to build them in the highest tax provinces. There are a few things you want to watch out for, though -- what's highest now may not be highest later, so I tend to prioritise those with the largest holding size cap. Also you'll want to consider the possibility for future expansion via seizing the city/county. Also if they're in an area that's constantly at war then note that occupation (even by non-Norse raiders) actually loots the province and reduces tax income; it takes something like 3 years to go from 0% all the way back up to full, which will be noticeable when it happens.

Beyond that, I think you want to control sea zones as that boosts trade income. I don't think holding trade zones in contiguous land does anything specifically beyond make the Republic overlays look prettier :v:

As far as I know, having the majority of the trade posts bordering an individual sea tile means your republic owns that sea tile. Any sea tile you own gets a slight boost to all of your trade posts in it, while having an unbroken chain of sea tiles back to your capital gains you a significant boost in income for any connected trade post. So yeah, you want as much as much of your trade network as possible connected directly back to your home county and in order to ensure this it's important to have posts in over 50% of the counties for each sea tile you expand into. If you only take one in each while there are no other competitors it won't be a big deal, but all it would take would be another republic building posts in more counties than you for you to lose the sea tile and disconnect a huge chunk of your network, slashing your profits and forcing you into a war to recover it. This is a major issue along the bottleneck around Gibralter, if you intend to move into the Mediterranean as the Hansa etc or the North Sea as Venice etc.

Republics are interesting though and I haven't really given them the time they deserve. They play so completely differently to anything else in the game. I got kind of bored because they seemed to recycle the same events over and over again - have any more been added in subsequent patches? I got kind of sick of the clearly Italian republic oriented stuff (like the Romeo and Juliet parody) occuring in non-Mediterranean ones and in general it felt like there wasn't enough to keep it engaging for a full 1066-1453 game, let alone an Old Gods start.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Allyn posted:

Right, that's what trade zones are. But from what he posted I figured he meant in neighbouring land provinces rather than neighbouring sea provinces. E.g. as Venice there's no real benefit to going Aquileia & Istria over Aquileia & Ferrara just because they're land neighbours -- all 3 border the same sea province, so they all count towards controlling the sea zone equally. In fact Ferrara has an extra holding slot over Istria, so that would be preferable. I could be wrong and that's not what he meant, though :shobon:

Yeah, sure, I get what you mean. I was just trying to say that it's kind of in your interests to build trade posts close together land wise just to ensure you have a firm hold on a particular sea zone, rather than building one and moving onto the next immediately and leaving yourself vulnerable. Obviously it makes no difference whether that land zone is directly adjacent to the first, but it usually works out that way anyway (and yeah, it looks prettier). Kind of makes me wish they'd implemented some form of overland trade system though (Novogorod was a major, major republic) and just generally made what they do have more important to everyone in the general game. As it stands republics just seem to play their own little game seperately from everyone else and if you're a feudal ruler you can easily forget they even exist if you don't directly border one. There should be benefits + drawbacks to having trade posts in your counties as a ruler (maybe slightly higher tax revenue + less revolt risk due to the availability of resources vs. this risk of coastal invasions, feudal vassal opinion penalty due to competition for power, religious differences if there are any etc.) and they should play a greater role in the world as a whole - choosing to take loans (I always hated that taking a loan happens at random, especially when you have mercs and that quick cash injection is the difference between winning the war and having your whole invading army collapse into infighting as they go renegade), hire ships/men (with interest rates + prices calculated based on the Doge's opinion of you who would just flat out refuse if he hated you). If you're playing a republic, you could offer loans/ships/men to rulers or they would ask and you would reply, and you'd have to choose who you supported wisely based on whether you thought they'd be able to pay it back or not and whether you valued the opinions of those they were at war with. In fact, the whole mercenary system could just be combined into a general republic relations screen for loans/mercs etc, with maybe a few independent bands left to mix things up a bit.

I just really feel that they missed a trick with the whole Republic expansion. SoI did what it said on the tin, LoR gave some pretty cool flavour to the Byzantines to differentiate them from the West (and, of course, retinues), SI was terrible but whatever it was a cheap joke DLC that can be fun on occasion, ToG was just absolutely stunning in scope and I'd have paid most of the asking price just to have the 867 start date. The Republic has a lot of good ideas but just seems to fall totally flat, fails to hold any interested for extended games and misses so many cool opportunities.

edit: Also, any word on the next DLC yet? I'm anticipating a Catholic focused expansion with Papal Elections, some sort of Monastic representation, more fleshed out (and maybe playable?) Holy Orders etc. I'd also like to see them expand the actual Crusading aspect, as it does form half the title. As it stands Crusader states rarely seem to get established unless you choose one of the later startdates where they already have a foothold, and even when they do they're essentially dfficult to govern kingdoms with hostile neighbours but otherwise totally indistinguishable from their counterparts in Europe. I want to see a better representation of crusading armies, with some degree of centralised control to make them not be a total joke (but not too much, to preserve their chaotic nature). I'd also like to see more flavour events for established states and more room for survival by political means.

And a First Crusade bookmark. Why isn't that there, seriously. And crusades for the Orthodox, they're so underpowered now sandwiched between two hostile blobs with no crusade mechanic which even reformed pagans get.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 29, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone know how I can take over a county after seizing all the holdings?

I am playing as an Irish lord and some Norse prick with two counties in Ireland declared war on me and after I hired a mercenary company the war went poorly for him. I've defeated his army, locked up his wife, and successfully sieged all the holdings in both of his counties. But I don't know how to officially take these counties from this guy. If I try to force him to surrender all I get is some prestige.

You can't take the county because that county title isn't what the war is about, so you winning just gives you prestige, money (depending on the form of the invasion) and gets rid of the invader's claims on your titles if he has one (not if it's a holy war or pagan invasion, the latter of which it probably is in this case). If you want his counties, you'll have to force him to surrender and then declare a new war for the county you want. If he was Catholic that would get kind of complicated because you'd need to find a claim to it, but seeing as he's an enemy of the faith you can just declare a holy war and take everything he owns within a duchy, getting you the ducal title and any lower lands he or any other non-Catholics own within that de jure duchy (you'll vassalise other christians). If you're a minor count in Ireland be careful though, Holy Wars tend to attract a lot of allies in defence, even if they aren't related to the defender, so you might well end up with half of Scandinavia charging up your beaches if they're not otherwise preoccupied.

edit: what the guy before me said. I always felt it a bit daft that you were penalised so heavily for breaking truces against infidels, especially pagans. I guess it would be ridiculous gameplay wise if you could just keep battering them though year after year.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 29, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I did have one game where I was playing one of the tiny West African counties with an Old Gods start so I was more or less ignoring the rest of Europe. Then I check the map at around 1100 or so and everything looks disturbingly right - the Muslims had been almost entirely pushed out of Iberia bar a few southern counties, England and Scotland had both formed their respective kingdoms along their de jure lines and were Christian. The HRE had somehow been formed and dominated Central Europe, while West Francia had become France and again was more or less restricted to it's de jure borders. The Norse had been badly beaten and half of Scandinavia was Christian, with the holdouts fighting a losing battle.

I find it really cool that this somehow managed to happen totally organically. Being such an isolated and inconsequential African character, the game was effectively on observe mode (apart from me harassing the North African Muslims every now and then.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

So I'm noticing a lot of heresies springing up, check the moral authority of Catholicism and it's somewhere around 50%. What's going on? Well, turns out there's an anti-pope. A female anti-pope. Living in Rome. Landless. With the title King-Bishop for some reason. Everyone loves her so my plot to kill ger gets like two supporters, the current actual pope being one of them. Then I get possibly the best event I've ever seen 'Pope Agapetus VII has told everyone about my plot to Kill King-Bishop Lucezia after drinking too much in a local tavern. I should have never gotten that drunken fool involved!'.

What even. I'm so confused on so many levels.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the explanation is that the previous Pope had a bastard child, and that child gained a claim to the Papacy. It's apparently surprisingly common.

I have no idea why she's a King-Bishop, through.

I checked and she had no claims and no lands and wasn't related to any pope current or previous. And she was listed as a full antipope despite being a landless courtier in the Pope's court. It's actually so funny I don't mind but obviously a bug I guess. I ended up just assassinating her via the diplomacy screen and because she's technically only a courtier it cost like 50 gold and had an 80% success rate.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dr. Tough posted:

How common are anti-Popes, I don't think I've ever actually seen one in a game I'm playing.

Not really very unless you make one.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Great Lakes Log posted:

I've been playing CKII off and on ever since I got it last year, but only picked it up again recently during the steam sale after grabbing the Republic and the Old Gods. I was very excited about the possibilities that come with trade empires in the Republic but I felt like I was missing something and it seemed a bit boring. Is it possible to start as a non-trading republic nation and become one? That seems like it would be more interesting.

I was blown away by the Old Gods though, playing as a pagan in the early start is really fun and hectic.

Yeah, merchant republics are a nice idea but there's a lot more they could have done with them. I've never found playing as one interesting enough to play a full game to 1453.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Oh god my borders oh god. France exists seperate to Francia and is totally surrounded by it, Byzantium is Sunni. Weirdly Ireland and Wales have both formed. I'm Scotland. England is a clusterfuck of warring states, was owned by Denmark for most of the game and has never seen a king of its own.

This is going to be an interesting EU4 start.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Quick question. Some Norse pagan has inherited a duchy in my kingdom. My crown authority is on medium and every major ruler in the realm is Catholic bar him. Medium crown authority says that revokation of infidel titles is free, but when I go to do it I'm still told it'll get me tyranny points. Is this right? It seems insane that a ruler would be penalised for coming down hard on an enemy of the faith, even without a specific reason.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Oh my God, I just had the most beautifully epic turn of events.

Gigantic, terrifying Francia, its borders stretching from the Pyrennees to Hungary, the boot of Italy to Brittany, was becoming a problem for King Constantine II the Great of Scotland. Its utter dominanation of mainland Europe under the Karling dynasty was seriously damaging the interests of his Ivaring kin. Despite interfering in several independence revolts under the banner of the traitors, precious little ground had been chipped from the mighty monolith. Something had to be done, and so a plan was hatched.

Out of nowhere, the perfect moment arose. The Kaiser died, leaving the throne to his disfigured, excommunicated, morally dubious female cousin. The nobles of Francia wanted nothing to do with her, and every petty lord with a claim and an army rose in revolt, hoping to secure the Imperial throne for himself. King Constantine realised that he had to react to this swiftly, before the Frankish realm could recover under a more honourable ruler. Wasting no time, he requested license to invade the realm of the dire excommunicate from the Pope, who did not hesitate in granting this rare boon. Amassing all ten thousand fighting men of his kingdom, and hiring a few thousand detestable mercenaries with the gold reserves saved for this very day, the King of Scotland set out to sea, determined to break asunder Frankish hegemony in Europe with only a single strike force of fifteen thousand men. Great liturgies were held across Scotland, pleading that God allow victory before Francia recovered and flexed its full military might - well in excess of a hundred thousand men.

The men disembarked near the foothills of the Pyrennes, meeting only scattered, feeble resistance amongst the burning farmsteads and vineyards. Marching their way toward the Frankish capital of Perigord, sieging castles, cities and cathedrals as they went, they encountered only a single moderately sized Frankish army which dissolved before the inspirational leadership of Constantine - a useful quality left over from his days spend crusading in vain in the Holy Land. Before long, all opposition crumbled and, with half of the great Frankish Empire still completely unaware that they were being invaded, the King of Scotland sat upon the Imperial Throne of Francia.

Rapidly, envoys from the provinces came bearing gifts and offering terms of peace, shrinking before Emperor Constantine the Conqueror's greatness. Governing this vast territory was not, however, part of the plan. Offical documents were sent out to the farthest corners of the realm, declaring the dissolution of the Frankish state. Those within the de jure Imperial territory were deprived of their titles and provoked as much as was possible. When the inevitable declarations of war arrived, the Emperor stepped down without a word, returning to his homeland victorious. Here, he used the cover of the shattered husk of what was once Francia to declare his own independence. Clearly percieving the threat Constantine posed, an Imperial army led by the new Kaiser, Adalbert, landed upon the shores of Gowrie itself, where by the grace of God it fell directly into the arms of a waiting Scottish force. Adalbert, captured, accepted the independence of the Caledonia and returned to his burning realm in shame. The Frankish realm had lost half of its territory overnight, its remainder even more shattered than ever before. It would be long before any semblance of stability would return - the Lord had certainly stripped the Franks of their status as his chosen people.

King Constantine the Conqueror died peacefully in bed at the grand old age of 91. He spoke little of his adventures in Francia, of his short time sat upon Charlemagne's throne. However he had smashed Karling power in Europe not by direct force, but by cunning, and this made his victory all the sweeter. His legacy would not be forgotten - a stone marking his final resting place in the palace of Scone to this day reads, 'Emperor Constantine I of Francia, second of his name to occupy the throne of Scotland, is buried here. Let his noble liberation of those oppressed and subjugated by the loathsome Franks never be forgotten. In God's name.'

-----

Yeah, I got a little carried away there. It was probably the coolest thing I've done in this game to date though, and I'm ashamed to admit I'm nearing the 450 hours mark by this point.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 5, 2013

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I just noticed that the Duke of Moray in Scottish Brittania is an Ummayyad. A Celtic, Scottish, Catholic Ummayyad. To my knowledge I've never had any dealings with the Ummayads at all, despite them owning all of Mali and most of North Africa and Iberia. How did this happen? :iiam:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I really, really would like them to put a stop to weird out of culture/kingdom marriages for 99% of the rulers of the game.

I don't know. I find it really entertaining, especially looking at people's family trees to work out what got them where they are. I understand the frustration if you're wanting to play more of a 'medieval Europe sim' than a game though. Maybe they could have an option to turn on a realism mode for this kind of stuff. They did stop you marrying infidels quite so easily in one of the recent patches, so that's something. I'm guessing that for the Ummayad Duke (well, Duchess actually), a Muslim character was taken by vikings early on that subsequently converted to Christianity and forced them to convert before releasing them to marry a local and start a branch of the Ummayad family that gradually became ethnically and culturally assimilated into Northern Europe, eventually finding themselves with a duchy. I guess there's some argument for something of that nature happening historically, albeit very improbable.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Also, quick question. I was under the impression that if you took a character's last landed title, any other titles they had would be destroyed. However, I was piddling about trying to unite Brittania and there's a three duchy duke with only two counties (no idea). I took his last duchy but rather than becoming unlanded and all of his vassals becoming independent counts, he seemed to just move to one of his vassal's counties and take it for himself. It's not a huge deal but I get sick of having to wait about 50 years to take five counties because of the loooong truces after each war, especially after they made truce-breaking much more costly (7000 prestige + -25 relations with every Catholic character? Yeah, I'll pass)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Mickey McKey posted:

Its not 7000 prestige - its half of your prestige. So if you have 50 prestige you lose 25, if you have 50,000 prestige, you lose 25,000. Also the "Trucebreaker" Diplomacy hit.

About the naval movement changes: It makes sense but I will enjoy the game a little less because one of my favourite things is what a friend of mine termed "boat faggotry".

Ah, fair enough. Still, it's a pretty huge hit compared to the old 100 prestige for everyone way back a few patches ago.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

loving hell, I didn't realise that changing culture outright destroyed your culturally specific military buildings. Yeah, I totally spent all that time and money building up my Norse housecarl barracks or whatever they are only to lose everything when I didn't realise my heir had converted to Scottish. You'd think there'd be an alert or warning or something about this because as it stands the only way to discover it seems to be to have it happen to you. (I haven't checked, but does anyone know if these reappear as they were if you regain a character of the same culture? Like, I'm Norse and have two sons, my heir converts to Scottish and inherits, wiping out the Housecarl grounds. If he were to die before having a son, would my second son, who remains Norse, be back to level one for them?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Any news on a new DLC? I'm killing to try out some theocracies.

• Locked thread