Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kersch posted:

Man, I need a guide on how to pronounce Norse names with letters that I've never seen before.

Það er í raun minnsta mál að bera fram hina ýmsu norrænu bókstafi sem hafa skotið upp kollinum í þessum aukapakka. Augljóslega er ö borið fram eins og í „Björk" og Þ er einfaldlega borið fram líkt og í „Þúsundþjalasmiður" og Ð er bara ð. Einnig vill ég taka fram að afi minn fór á honum rauð eitthvað suður á bæinn að kaupa bæði sykur og brauð sitt af hvoru tagi með ótal úrkynjuð maurildi þjótandi í stríðum straumum útum eldrauðar og þandar nasirnar og að nafli er lok fyrir ástand í alheimsvanda úti sem og gabríel.

Varðandi hin margrómaða tölvuleik Krossfara Konungar II: Hin fornu goð, sem þessi spjallþráður á víst að fjalla um, þá hefur mér tekist nokkuð vel að leggja undir mig Noreg og Jórvík sem hin sér íslenska Vofuvarga-ætt en Svíþjóð og Danmörk veita ansi harða samkeppni. Afkomendur Ívars Ragnarssonar ráða ríkjum í Skotlandi og eru nánustu bandamenn mínir. Það er hinsvegar ágætis skemmtun að leggjast í víking og höggva mann og annan í herðar niður.

börk börk börk.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm Norway. I want to reform the faith but I'm a bit hesitant to try and conquer the holy places from under Sweden or Denmark. One of my sisters was married to two Danish kings in a row. Both died very young from natural causes.

Perm used to control most of Denmarks eastern territories but their king was part of the same dynasty as the Danish royals so I assume some inheritance caused this. Aquatine has swalloed Francia and Scotland controls almost all of the British Isles as well as a few strands on the mainland. The Magyars vanished without making much of an impact and Lotharingia used to control pretty much all the land from Holland down to southern Italy until the king died in a "accident" and the land was divided among his family causing some vry very ugly borders.

I have a crazy amount of prestige and money from looting. or I had. This screenshot was taken a few days after my 80 years old king, who spent the better part of his life carving through christian settlements, died.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 3, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm doing pretty well as viking Norway except for a independence war that I can totally handle. Then my king dies. He's young, only recently took over and only has one son. I take the throne as his son and everyone hates me and I'm forced to give my aunt power. A few years later I get murdered by someone. She is my heir since my previous heir, my sister, had gone and died from natural causes at the ripe old age of 24.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just after the homosexual husband of my Norwegian queen gets out of prison in the Faroe islands he decides he's tired of not owning any land so he sets of to conquer a sultanate in northern Africa. He currently getting his rear end handed to him. Not sure how that could possibly have seemed like a good idea. At least he managed to knock up his queen right before jumping on the first boat from Reykjavik to Tunis.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Norse ruled Scotland, formerly the biggest kingdom in my game, is now collapsing on itself due to massive inbreeding producing nothing but morons that barely survive to adulthood. Denmark/Perm has similar problems although their woes are more a result of overextending their kingdom and me.

Also for some reason for a long time there was a single province in Aquitaine that was a totally independant duchy of Aquitaine.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

heh

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wanna be able to build a níðstöng to my enemies. Nothing quite says "I don't like you" like a horses head mounted on a pole with a carved inscription declaring that the target is a schmuck, casting a curse on him and encouraging all spirits to attack him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently noticed that the young queen of Sweden is childless . So I have her husband killed so I can marry her and our offspring inherit enough land to form an empire. Since her husband was Orthodox and a bit of a deuce it was quite easy to find people to join the plot, including the queen herself. But after he is dead I realize that I'm still married so I divorce my wife but a soon as it's through the queen has remarried. I have her second husband killed and quickly offer her marriage but she refuses to accept anything that isn't matrilineal and just marries some fat 16 year old.

:argh:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I had this situation with the Queen of Denmark. no kids, no husband, 3 sisters. None of them would marry me except the youngest one. 4 assassinations later, my son is the future King of Denmark and Norway.
I found an elegant and clever solution to this:
I invaded and simply took the country.

She was fighting an indepandance rebellion, some dude's host and trying to invade to different places so it was pretty easy. She is now queen of Finland living in a tiny province of Findland on the coast of the indpendant and rather large jarldom of Finland.

e:
The queen has died and her husband is now married to the queen of Denmark who was the niece and concubine of the former king.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 8, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I seem to be getting an awful lot of rebellions these days. I've had like 5 Old Norse uprisings in the 20 or so years since reformation and recently I had a Dutch Catholic rebellion which almost won despite having a lot fewer soldiers than. I only control like 2 counties of Holland so I don't know they went after me instead of the Scots or the French.

e:
I´ve also been getting raided by a couple of Old Norse dudes who are my indirect vassals. I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 10, 2013

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope they add Judaism in a future DLC. I really want to conquer the Holy Land as a Khazar khan and declare myself Messiah. Which should obviously make the Christians a bit cross.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

echopapa posted:

With the new release of CK2+ comes the new release of my landed titles mod, featuring a hell of a lot of localized holding names. If you want to see proper Anglo-Saxon city names, or proper Arab names in Spain, or Slavic names in Great Moravia, then this is the minimod for you. Just replace the standard CK2+ landed_titles folder with this one.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9m9avo

I do this myself by researching what the names mean and then translating them into Icelandic which is 'close enough' for Norse.

I might be a bit of a nerd.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also they save you the work of actually conquering stuff. One of my archpriests drove the Pope out of Rome(forcing his holiness to take up residence in Bohemia). Also the jarl of Norðureyjar took over northern Iberia all on his own.

HenessyHero posted:

What do I get from pulling a Norse to Danish cultural transition, other than an opinion malus?

An incomprehensible guttural accent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Title suggestion for the next thread:
Mo' magne mo' problems.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Started up a viking age game as Amalfi and am trying to claw my way up to becoming the ruler of the Byzantine empire and restoring the Roman republic. It's currently 940 and things are going pretty well for me but not for the realm itself. I started by swallowing up everyone around me until I could form Sicily and then I swore fealty to the emperor. The upside of this, besides making me slightly more powerful than his other vassals, is that he can't easily revoke my title. Genoa, my main competitor, was swallowed up by Burgundy (which was then swallowed up by Italy but fragmented back into Burgundy on inheritance and then by East Francia and then fragmented again into Italy) and Venice by the Byzantines making me the only merchant republic in the world. There's been a lot of holy wars and jihads against the empire, which always seem to occur at the exact same time as major rebellions, but so far all of them have been unsuccessful. Probably because most of them have been by the Shia who aren't very numerous or powerful. There is currently a host attacking the empire but the dude lost like half of his army marching it all the way from northern Germany down to Italy so he'll probably fail. It'll probably be a while until I can get anywhere close to the imperial throne though.

The election bug seems to work in reverse for me. Several times it's looked like I was going to lose the election but somehow I won against all odds.

There is something strange going on with Hungary though. There are two seperate kingdoms: Catholic Hungary, which holds basically all of de-jure Hungary, and Tengri Magyar which has two unconnected counties inside of Catholic Hungary. Both kingdoms are ruled by the same dynasty. I'm guessing this is gavelkind loving up.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How do I actually go from being a vassal republic in the ERE to being a Consul of the empire? I can't seem to form a faction to install myself, probably because it isn't in elective. I am marrying my kids and grandkids to his kids hoping to at least get someone with a claim. My second oldest son is married to his daughter, their two sons are set to marry his youngest daughters. Their mother's sisters. Hopefully this will eventually allow me to put myself or a heir on the throne and get to work on restoring the old empire.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there any way to invite other vassals into a revolt that weren't in the original faction?
I'm trying to install my sister-in-law on the Byzantine throne and when I tried to force the emperor to meet my demands he was fighting another rebellion and I had more than a 100% more troops than he. Then he still refused and the war went very well at first and I only had to capture two counties to get the score to 90% warscore but as soon as that happened the other revolt ended and they instantly became unoccupied. I've managed get the warscore up to 70% by using merceneries and attacking every army he sends to retake his lands but I'm going broke and he has far too many soldiers. Can I get his other vassals in on the rebellion somehow or do I just have to lose and try again later?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it possible to create a Mongol Jain merchant republic?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

So I decided to try and become a Jain Mongol merchant republic but things are a bit strange. Ghengis himself died a few months in but as his son I managed to gobble up basically all the area belonging to the Persians, except for a few pesky northern provinces, pretty easily. Some time later I was continuing my conquest westwards and taking over Georgia and the surrounding countries when a Hindu missionary begins arrives at my court saving me the trouble of having to get myself a Indian concubine. After some time I get the event to convert and do so. Some time later after forcing anyone to convert I can and conquering a bit more I notice that I no longer have a heir of my dynasty. I have several sons and grandsons but for some reason my heir is now my chaplain and there is no text at all in the panel for inheritance laws. I try getting the chaplain out of my court by sending him to preach to some pagans but now I just have no heir at all.

I think maybe being Hindu, Mongol and tribal might be a bit too much for this game but I´m still only at medium tribal organization and might well die from old age before being able to feudalize my poo poo. I can't make a feudal holding my capital because it's "wrong holding type".

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why the heck are the Zunists lumped in with Pagans when they were a Hindu cult and should be with the Indían religons?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didn´t the real Mongols give whomever they invaded the option to surrender without a fight? And those that did got to keep their titles and privileges and the pre-existent social structures were kept in place as long as they payed tax to the khan and provided him with troops when asked. But if they fought back the Mongols would loot, burn and kill until there wasn't anything left worth looting or burning.

I have never actually had to defend against Mongols in the game but I'm playing as the Mongols right now and a lot of the vassals seem to remain the same after invasion so I´m constantly dealing with uppity Persians and Georgians who don't like being under my heel and I can't seem to just have them executed for daring to even look at me funny. Wouldn´t it make sense that anyone being invaded by Mongols would get a event saying "The Great Khan has sent a messenger offering the choice of surrender and swear fealty to him. If you do he promises no harm will come to you if you don't your realm will burn." and if you surrendered you'd become his vassal without a war and he couldn't revoke your titles without a massive penalty but if you didn't and he won all the holdings would be massively devalued from all the looting which should make sure this wouldn´t make the Mongols any more overpowered than they already are.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Check out your titles - you might have somehow usurped/inherited a holy order or mercenary company. They've got weird inheritance rules and always force themselves to act as your primary title so you just need to give it away to someone else and that should fix it.

I checked my titles and this doesn't seem to be the case. But it's alright. I got a huge independance rebellion, which oddly enough had a lot of support from dudes with the same culture and religion as I had even a few from my dynasty and then died and had a game over because I had somehow become a theocracy or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mongols randomly switching to Open Elective seems to be a reoccuring problem. It's really weird. Sometimes when you die you switch to the person that should be your heir if the succession wasn't bugged and sometimes you switch to whichever random lowborn courtier the game has selected as your heir but somehow don't get a game over despite having no dynasty any more and sometimes it's just game over.

At first I thought this might have something to do with me converting but it seems to occur even when Tengri. It might have something to do with creating vassal republics or maybe it's just the game being unable to handle being Mongol and tribal.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Didn't the IRL Seljuks have some form of gavelkind?

I remember being taught that one of the reasons that the First Crusade was a success was because instead of facing the Seljuks at full strength there were fighting a realm fractured by a recent inheritance that was also at war with the Egyptians.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

How does the game handle the Golden Horde and Il-Khanate if you're playing as the Mongol Empire?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BBJoey posted:

Actually I just did a couple of tests as the Mongols and uh they or at least their special (?) brand of Gavelkind is completely hosed.

Aren't Mongols supposed to start with ultimogeniture or something?

I just started a game as the Mongols, after several failed attempts due to randomly switching to open elective before the last patch fixed that, and it looks like my primary heir is going to inherit everything that matters and the others are just going to get some poo poo in the middle of nowhere and stay under the empire. I have already conquered Persia though and created a bunch of duchies and a couple of kingdoms for my relatives to better oppress the locals. That could possible effect how things get divied up. I'm still playing as the first character so we'll see how things go when old Genghis kicks the bucket.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't the Pope get a random barony from a random Catholic ruler if Rome is taken?

I once saw the Pope relocate to Croatia when some heathens took Rome. I might have been those heathens, I don't remember.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I hope Way of Life includes a combat system like the one in GOT mod where fighting another character in combat, duel or battle, is series of events where the choices depend on your martial skill and traits.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

http://youtu.be/UN-II_jBzzo?t=6m22s
John Green indirectly sums up CK2 about 20 seconds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SeaTard posted:

That sounds really bad; event popups in the middle of battles would make wars take forever.

Maybe if it was mostly just duels and even then it had to be over a claim or between rivals or vendetta related and was actually very rare in battle.
Also if if most of the time the duel would end with the loser yielding and losing prestige and being taken prisoner if in battle and death and serious injury were rather rare.

Also if traits played a part. Like if you were deceitful you could pay the other dudes squire to blunt his weapon, if you were gregarious you could talk your way out of the duel without losing prestige or if you were wroth or cruel you couldn't let your opponent yield.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mantis42 posted:

Eh, at least get the face pack that adds black people to the game. Its kind of weird without it.

The Turkish, Persian, Mongolian and African portraits are a must because every one who isn't European looking and dressing like Arabs is mega stupid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nobody likes Danes, especially not Danes themselves.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Copenhagen is alright if you like bicycles.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Odobenidae posted:

Is there anything I can do about 90% of the ducal titles in the byzantine empire being viceroyalties? The only two inheritable/normal duke level titles are held by me and the emperor, and there's no way for me to usurp a duchy that I have full control over because it's a "theme" and the jackass emperor gives the title away to anyone but me whenever he gains it back.

Isn't that how things worked in the actual historical Byzantine empire?

I´m not an expert but I seem to recall that instead of a bunch of heridary nobles the empire was for the most administrated by appointed officials (who were of course all nobles).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It's slightly more complicated than that. That's how it worked in the earlier stages of the Byzantine Empire (though an Emperor who did not do the courtesy of allowing a son to inherit his father's important position might be at more threat of rebellion and coups), but as time went on, particularly after the 4th Crusade, appointed officials decreased in power and a more feudal system of sorts began to take hold.
I did sort of suspect that it might have been the sort of thing where technically it was an appointed office but it was expected that the previous holders son would inherit it in most cases. I took like one class on the crusades in university and I remember the teacher say that the way the Byzantines did things was simultaneously similar and very different from how it was done in the rest of Europe.

Things went a bit downhill for them after that whole 4th Crusade thing didn't it?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think if you want to convert to a non-pagan religion as a pagan, the best way to do it is raiding until you capture a Christian, concubine them, and then convert to spouse religion via decision.

This is how I created a Jewish Hungarian empire of Carpathia. Then it turned out that even if you have thousands of men at your disposal and a shitload of land it still isn't easy being a Jew in CK2.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

e:
This post didn't happen.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mostly bad luck. Bad inheritance* at the exact same time as a bunch of wars. Muslims and steppe dudes invading from the east and the Byzantines invading from the south and two religious rebellions as well. I mean I managed to crush the rebels but I lost a shitload of land and money. The biggest problem is that the Khazars had been wiped out so there were no other Jews nearby who could be allies and everyone in the area hated my guts. I could probably have managed to get most of it back had I just waited for the correct time to strike. But then some big patch came out and I gave up on the save.

*The usual. Smart oldest son dies just before his father and everything is inherited by his idiot younger brother that no one likes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm thinking of trying the Game of Thrones mod but I've heard that in the most recent version the Iron Throne is constantly at war with the Free Cities of Essos for no good reason. Should I get an older version or aren't the embargo wars as bad as some have said?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Current version is out of date with the most current version of CK2, and by all accounts the game slows to a crawl after 100 years. Best to wait until the next version comes out and the Westeros-only submod gets caught up to that as well.

I installed it and played a bit but it crashed if I as much as looked at it funny so this rings true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Which of Ragnar's sons is the best if I want to form a empire of Britannia before Crusades kick in and I'm hosed?

• Locked thread