Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Ireland is a goddamn looting piņata :toot:

Qwo posted:

Are all Norse realms stuck with Gavelkind...? :raise:
Reform the faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

AfroSquirrel posted:

Hmm. What were the Norse Holy Sites? Apparently I need them before I can reform.
Use the religious map mode.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Gavelkind seems to be a lot more logical with the division of the inheritance now. It's pretty great.

vvv: reform the faith

Kainser fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 28, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Surviving the Mongols in a 1066 start isn't very hard in the first place if you are willing to blob a bit and I can't imagine it being harder when starting from 867.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh man I bet Paradox are pissed right now. When I enable dlc in the new releases list it's hidden on page 2 because of a mountain of Aliens: Colonial Marines DLC :v:
I don't think they are to bothered really:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

JosefStalinator posted:

To raid, do you need to organize an invasion? I can't seem to loot anything cause its always considered a friendly territory.
You must put your raiding army in looting mode (button next to merge etc.) before you send them out to pillage stuff.

And yeah, you can't do it to people with the same religion.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Seems about right.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Balts are just as bad about nationalism/racism as eastern Europeans, who woulda thought. :allears:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690565-Baltic-Face-DLC
I'm pretty sure that most nationalities/cultures are well represented when it comes to nationalism on the Paradox forums.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SeaTard posted:

Already patched, you're out of luck.
You can apparently roll back the patch by right clicking on your game in the list, open the properties window, go to the Betas tab, and then switch to "1_09x Patch Level"

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Decided to run a handsoff game and welp:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Or you just roleplay it and fight your brothers for your inheritance like a true pagan, The game isn't very hard if you are minmaxing and disinheriting/killing all kids but one :black101:

e; but yeah, raiding is incredibly overpowered right now so you can just throw mercenaries at all problems as a Norse.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 30, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
It's a bit weird how Pagans and Muslims have all these fancy features and superpowers now, while the boring old Catholic church can, uh, excommunicate people? :geno:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Nightblade posted:

You'll still have the ability to raise runestones, but only until 1150, whether you reform or not.
Being forced to use ink on paper instead of the clearly superior Runes on Stone after 1150 is complete bullshit. :colbert:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
There were times where the Subjugation CB simply wouldn't work for me for some arcane reason even though I seemed to fulfill all requirements.

e;

quote:

E: And you can't target someone who's defending in another Subjugation war.
Oh, that might explain it.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 30, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Nightblade posted:

Actually if I'm reading the battle_events.txt file correctly Berserker trait makes you immune to death, maimings and wounds in battle. You can still become incapable due to a blow in the head in battle, though. Unless there's some special death events for berserkers it's an extremely good trait for a commander, and it does correspond with IRL lore.
Berserkers just get their own set of Wounded/Maiming/Death events in another file.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gaussian posted:

I just bought this game (and therefore suck at it) and installed the Game of Thrones mod, but every time I try to run it, CK crashes. Does anyone know of a fix for this? I got the version of CK2 that was on sale on Steam this week, if that helps. I did not yet get the Old Gods DLC.
The game was patched to a newer version and the mod haven't been updated yet. You need to roll back the patch by right clicking on your game in the list, open the properties window, go to the Betas tab, and then switch to "1_09x Patch Level" and it should work (I haven't tried it)

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Patrum Scuta have been updated if you want non-terrible looking coat of arms in case you are a sperg about that like I am :toot:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 31, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SeaTard posted:

I'm looking at the before and after shot on the first page of that mod thread, and I can't figure out what the hell is supposed to be different about it. It might be easier to figure out if he had taken before and after shots of the same characters, but it's all entirely different people and makes it a pain in the rear end to see whatever minute difference there is. I guess maybe they are slightly larger?
Yeah, the before/after image is terrible. The mod basically makes the randomly generated coat of arms look less like blobs of random patterns and colours and adds a bunch of historical ones.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 31, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ThePutty posted:

max_consorts = 1000

:getin:
I am a bit of a concubine connoisseur, I only kidnap the close relatives or wives of kings and emperors.

CK2 turns me into a monster :smith:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The Magyars are already really strong and definitely don't need a buff. Maybe if they also make it a lot harder to reform the Tengri Faith.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

a bad enough dude posted:

What do the Norse in the British Isles convert into?

Norse outside of Scandinavia will stay Norse unless converted through other means.

e; Rurik's descendants seems to become Russian most of the time in my experience at least.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The AI will do that during invasions, it's because they will get more land if they keep fighting since they'll get all the territory they occupy.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 2, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Pimpmust posted:

There's a line in the marshal job description that says "is_female = no". Remove that line and women can command.

*All women*

I don't think there's any way to limit it by say, culture/religion/law or decision, sadly.
You can make incredibly elaborate requirements and limits if you are willing to do some scripting.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Charlz Guybon posted:

I married my heir to the Queen of W. Francia and she got conquered by E. Francia. Now she's a Duchess and her husband is imprisoned by the King of E. & W. Francia. Shouldn't the price for his ransom by 145? I gave my heir enough money but there he still remains, his wife doesn't like him so she won't be bailing him out I think.
The guy who holds him imprisoned can refuse the ransom if he doesn't like him enough.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Beta patch released:

Paradox posted:

I've just uploaded an open beta version of patch v1.101 to Steam. It is only available for Steam users, and remember: it's a BETA patch, so there might be issues with it.

INSTALLATION: Right-click Crusader Kings II in your Steam library, select Properties, and under the "Betas" tab, select Open Beta Patch v1.101.

As per usual, report any bugs in the bug report forum. Here's the blurb:

MAJOR:
:siren: - Added a "Retract Vassal" interaction :siren:
- Disallowed destruction of non-titular titles under Gavelkind

INTERFACE:
- Added lots of portrait fixes from the "CK2 Portrait Fixes" mod by zebez
- Adjusted the random CoA colors and color choices
- Scripted a lot of CoAs for various dynasties
- The CoAs of titles named after a dynasty now match the dynasty CoA
- Bishops no longer wear pope hats, but the pope does
- Livonia now has the correct pagan flag
- Buildings requiring a coastal province now show up in the tech tooltip even if the capital is not coastal
- Fixed some tooltips in the settlement view not showing building levels with the name
- Nicknames are now shown for heads of religion
- The 'Grant Independence' action is no longer even shown if the recipient is not your vassal
- The 'Prepare Invasion' action is now shown but grayed out if you are at war with the recipient
- Added missing Bektashi religion description
- Endgame screen now shows correct score for characters
- Added missing name of the Reformed Aztec Church title
- Tweaked the religion colors to make them more distinct
- Corrected some event text typos

GAMEPLAY:
- Norse Pagans can no longer employ the coastal conquest CB against other pagans (neighboring counties can still be taken though)
- The Subjugation CB can now only be used once per lifetime instead of every 10 years. (Unless you have the 'Become King' ambition.)
- Characters with the "Become King" ambition and access to the subjugation CB can no longer move their capital out of the de jure kingdom
- Subjugated rulers of another religion now get a smaller opinion bonus vs the winner, lasting for a shorter time
- Fixed a bug with many vassalizing casus bellis where the target's own counties would be seized when they should not be
- Tengri Pagans are now limited to Agnatic succession
- The Jomsvikings now reform if the Norse reformation takes place
- Fixed an issue where the primary heir under Gavelkind would not inherit the capital county
- West African pagans can now also raid
- Lowered the spawn rate of TOG rebels by 20%
- Added the "Ghanan Band" mercenary company
- Slavic, Baltic and Finnish Pagans now get a bonus to their levy sizes, at the cost of their garrison bonus
- Fixed a problem with the decadence invasion event
- Fixed a bug with decadence revolts ending strangely on the attacking ruler's death
- Court Chaplain job events no longer restricted to men for pagans
- Made the Chancellor job to improve relations more effective
- Mercenary ships will no longer spawn in major rivers
- The Viking trait can now only be gained by adults
- Heirs returning from the Varangian Guard to take the throne of their dead father can no longer get the same event twice
- Piast the Wheelwright and his son are now of the Piast dynasty
- Pagan festivals can now only be held in summer as intended
- City Shipyards now produce slightly more galleys than their Castle and Temple counterparts
- Fixed a bug where banishing landed vassals would not take all their titles
- Under Gavelkind, your oldest son will no longer ask for titles
- Added additional names and dynasties for Roman characters created in the Ruler Designer
- Added an earlier king of Ireland to make Irish liberation revolts possible
- 867: Strengthened the coastal Baltic, Slavic and Finnish tribes with better Holdings
- 867: Slightly strengthened the initial forces of Ivar and Halfdan
- 867: The Karling kingdoms are now on Agnatic succession
- 867: Moved Uglich from the Meryas to the Vyatichi
- 867: Byzantium is now properly on Primogeniture, not Gavelkind
- 867: The Duchy of Meath now exists, called "Tara" by the Irish
- 867: Made some important vassals to the King of Italy Italian culture to prolong the survival of the culture and ensure more internal troubles
- 867: Adjusted the initial political and dynastic setup among the Baltic tribes to make them more resilient
- The vassal opinion for free investiture law now correctly only applies for Catholics
- Build cost and time is now affected by your capital tech, not the average tech in your realm
- Ignoring pagan defensive attrition is now controlled by your capital tech, not by the average tech in your realm
- Own fort level no longer affects ability to navigate major rivers
- Tweaked the AI bonuses on Hard and Very Hard difficulty settings
- Successful non-claimant adventurers are now known as "the Conqueror"
- Fixed a bug with weird dynasty names for the commanders of Liberation rebels
- Castrating or blinding a prisoner now removes the righteous imprisonment cause when they are released
- The ambition to gain a council position now only increases a skill the first time it is successful
- The generic Pagan religion now has a description and holy sites
:siren: - Added the Hellenic religion :siren:
- The events when certain cities are sacked now properly trigger for the Mongol Empire
- The event when you raise a runestone as a zealous Reformed Norse character no longer treats you as a Christian
- Captured Rebel leaders now have a "Broken Spirit" modifier, making them pretty useless
- Fixed a bug where Gavelkind could produce republics
- Fixed a general bug with multiple kingdom inheritance that could produce republics
- The decision to create the Kingdom of Leon now makes it a de jure part of the Empire of Hispania
- Trade posts are no longer counted towards the Prepared Invasion realm size limits
- Fixed a bug with being able to semi-grant invalid duchies and kingdoms to your heir under Gavelkind
- Heathen priests can now inherit titles
- Mayors and heathen priests will now marry if they are heirs to other titles
- Lack of Piety rumor event now only triggers for Christian lieges as intended
- Trade post garrisons now give less retinue cap increase
- Moved the counties of Loon and Julich from de jure Cologne to Luxemburg
- Technology points are now gained by own demesne when containing buildings that give technology points

AI:
- Will not convert to Norman culture if in a huge Norse empire
- Higher prio on building temple towns
- Adjusted propensity to backstab brothers of the faith who are primary parties in holy wars
- Behaviour is now affected subtly by the difficulty settings
- Tweaked max field army sizes a bit
- Will not agree to concubinage for title claimants

MODDING:
- Exported BASE_REVOLT_CHANCE_MOD and TOG_REVOLT_CHANCE_MOD to defines
- Added a 'can_appear' field to dynasties to prevent for example the Seljuks from appearing before their event

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 5, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^^ A small area in Morea was supposedly still Hellenic at the 867 start. And nobody would expect unique features for a Hellenic religion so it's easier to add I guess.

e: It's only used for history files (and the ruler designer) apparently.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

So what does "Retract Vassal" mean/imply? I'm assuming it's something we've been waiting for forever and I'll realize it when it's explained to me but for now :iiam:
As far as I am aware so does it mean that you can take away vassals from your direct vassals. It basically means that you can make prettier internal borders.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 5, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
A lot of people in the Paradox thread were sure that Paradox adding the Byzantine Empire to V2 meant that they were going to release a EU3 to V2 converter at some point.

This is most likely just one of those funny things that Paradox does guys, not a secret hint for their next DLC.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Meinberg posted:

One of the advantages I've found to there being cultural constraints on forming empires, is that it makes it harder for your vassals to set up competing empires and break away, so long as they're of your culture rather than the native culture.
Vassals can't create titles that are as high as the one their direct liege has anyway, so there could be hundreds of De Jure empires that anyone could create and it wouldn't change anything in that regard.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 6, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

crm posted:

Is there any bonus to having more than the 3 pagan holy sites to reform things?
Getting all 5 holy sites allows you to reform the faith even if you don't have the piety and the moral authority is less than 50 % (due to your fellow believers being idiots) as well.

e; welp

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Just don't start in any scenario after Robert's Rebellion and you'll be fine.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I'm up to date with the show, so will the earlier scenarios be spoiler free? I don't care about minor stuff like which characters are where so much, but if there are some characters dead or whatever I'd rather not know!

Spoilers in the Game of Thrones mod basically goes like this assuming that you are up to date with the show:

All scenarios up to and including Robert's Rebellion are 100% safe except for setting spoilers.

All scenarios from the Crowned Stag to Clash of Kings are safe except for one single major event which the show haven't gotten to that has a chance to happen in the mod. There is a txt file you can delete from the events folder to remove that if you really want to, I think it's invasions.txt or something like that.

Feast for Crows is spoilers galore, don't even click on it.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 8, 2013

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Someone on the Paradox forums wants to make an Egalitarian mod. Not everyones cup of tea obviously, but hey, it's not like it will harm anyone. First reply:

quote:

So you're putting in a game that's set in the year 1000 (now 800) 1970s problems?
"Indipendent" women in the middle ages?

I suggest you try something like The Sims for that kind of gameplay.
I also dislike how the equivalent for females of "chauvinistic" is indipendent.

Go play the Sims :reject:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mister Adequate posted:

Raid until you capture a Mongolian woman, make her your concubine.

If you're not playing someone with raids and concubines I don't know what to tell you.
You can capture people in any form of war.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Tindahbawx posted:

Would there happen to be a mod that lets you mass send Intrigue Plot invitations to a whole bunch of characters at once?

Clicking each one, clicking send, clicking Intrigue again, Clicking the invite button, Selecting the next one.....etc...etc... gets very old very fast.

Like say a bunch of checkboxes down the invite list of people that you can just tick to mass invite?
Rightclick on the portrait of the guy you want to invite to the plot in the list of possible plotters and select 'view diplomacy' (or something like that) and you won't need to go back to intrigue all the time due to the list closing.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

LowellDND posted:

Also, is there a convenient list of provinces for each kingdom/empire? Id like to know how many I need to grab before I get a crown.
Open to the title browser in the bottom right, go to the title you're interested in and mouse over the create/usurp button and it'll tell you what you need.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

CK2+ posted:

- Removed Karling claims on each other to prevent the Carolingian Empire from immediately reforming.

Is this a thing? I've only played/handsoffed a handful of games for any serious amount of time so this is obviously anecdotal, but in all my games so have the Karling realms never been united and and even if one guy manages to get 3+ of the kingdoms or so so will they always split up after he dies since it seems to be really hard for them to switch out of Gavelkind.

Also not sure about the no raiding for reformed pagan thing. I understand it from a balance perspective, but raiding (and capturing people) is one of the more fun things to do in CK2 and I wish that reformed pagans could be nerfed in other areas instead. But it's easily changeable so hey.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Giving away kingdoms isn't exactly optimal, but yeah, I do it as well since it cuts down on micromanagement.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I like having few powerful vassals since I'm to lazy to keep track of an empire filled with one province counts/dukes.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Having a hard time figuring out how this could mean anything but "Prince Bagsecg is the lover of his father, the King of Denmark."
It's a broken piece of localization, fixed in the beta patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Iunnrais posted:

What's the difference between a personal, and a de jure claim? Do you mean, fabricated versus de jure?
Personal claims are those that shows up on your character screen. Inherited/Fabricated/Claims to titles that have been usurped from you basically.

• Locked thread