Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gyshall posted:

CK2 is on sale on Steam right now - http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/ what the hell do I need to buy to get everything?

Should be the CK2 Collection + The Old Gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Started playing TOG last night and went on a raiding binge all around Europe. Can't decide which was more fun, raiding the Vatican or sacking Constantinople. Either way I'm positively swimming in gold now, time to go collect holy sites and reform the Norse religion. For Odin! :black101:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rejected Fate posted:

Why does my gay marshal lover have a -10 Liege is Homosexual modifier? :psyduck:

I mean it's balanced out by the attraction to homosexual thing, but still.

Self-hating homophobia?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kingturnip posted:

So, my starting character finally died, aged 70. He made quite an impact, though:

Why haven't you taken Kola Sami yet? Those borders are driving my inner :spergin: nuts.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

kingturnip posted:

It's actually one of the easiest starts. If you choose the ambition 'Become King', you've got enough manpower on your side to start Subjugating one/two province Counts, and the ambition lets you do that non-stop until you can afford to create the title. You probably don't even need to conquer them all, since I found a few would accept Vassalisation.

At that point, you can switch to raiding for a bit of cash, or just keep going with the :killdozer:

Speaking of :killdozer:, after founding the Kingdom of Norway and claiming Iceland for myself, I declared five different pagan invasions of different counties in Ireland simultaneously, shipped ~3k vikings over, and in the span of about a year carved a blood-soaked swath across Ireland. Round two is coming tonight to claim a few more, found the Kingdom of Ireland, and take the entire island. Reclaim the north for the Allfather :black101:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SkySteak posted:

It might have been sheer luck but getting over 100 free boats and 5000 free men is absolutely fantastic, Planned Invasion wise. This gets even more amazing if you have a large enough warchest (from raiding) to then buy a load of mercs.

What do I need to do to get a Planned Invasion CB? I've been wanting one to try to expand further but I don't know how to do it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

As Dauntasa said, your realm needs to have fewer than 40 holdings, and you must have 1000 prestige (you get 1 prestige per 1 gold you raid, so this is easy).

It is mostly the target that is a problem with prepared invasions. Your goal in a prepared invasions is to take all holdings in a de jure kingdom from the ruler you are targeting. The number of holdings must still be 40 or less. Take Charles the Bold, king of West Francia at game start. You cannot target West Francia, since the king holds all lands of the de jure realm of West Francia, which are more than 40 holdings. On the other hand he has holdings in Frisia and Aquitaine, in both cases under 41, but over 8, so you can prepare an invasion on him and later decide if you want to conquer Frisia or Aquitaine.

The problem in preparing invasions can be that the target is either mostly or fully part of one de jure kingdom with more than 40 holdings and too few counties in other kingdoms to be a valid target, or a ruler can have just too few holdings/distributed among too many de jure kingdoms to fulfill the prepare invasion criteria.

Wait, there's a 40 holding limit on your holdings + target holdings? Ugh, no wonder I'm having trouble finding an invasion, guess I'll stick to fabricated + de jure claims mainly then.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Diogines posted:

I have not played the game in a while, but I swear there used to be a button to let me search through every character in the game. Am I crazy? If it is gone, how do I access that function?

It moved from where it used to be, now it's down in the lower right-hand corner underneath the minimap.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bloodly posted:

Raiding is weird and annoying.

It's tied to religion. Fine. Easily modded such that all religions may Raid.

Raiding means you need to siege down the province in question. So small places can't raid due to lack of numbers, especially since Mercenaries can't do it for you(Mercs are specifically disallowed from Raiding).

And no-one has any ships in 867, so travelling is hard to do.

So how does a small realm get to do anything fun?

You don't need to siege a place to raid them, and you should have a few ships at your disposal in 867 provided you have coastal territory. Go toggle the raider button and nab some gold!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh what the gently caress. In my current game I'm trying to destabilize Lotharingia in order to take the last holy site the Norse religion is missing, so I figured I'd go and try to kill the king. His name is King Louis II 'the Cruel' of Lotharingia, so I figured this should be easy to find backers for my plot, but no. Despite being a cruel depressed homosexual kinslayer, he is loved by all of his vassals except one, the mayor of a small city no one gives a poo poo about. What the gently caress Crusader Kings :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SERPUS posted:

What does taking a concubine do?

Lets you not have to murder your wife after the age of 40.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Veryslightlymad posted:

So I just reformed the Norse faith in 897 and I feel strangely hollow. I mean, I know, I should start focusing on forming England and then Brittania, but... it was too easy to collect all the holy sites. I probably was playing out of character, since I started in York, but.... I dunno.

I was too gamey. Playing Gamey ruins this game. :(

I still can't get loving Zeeland. Screw you Lotharingia t:mad:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Veryslightlymad posted:

In my file, the Holland area went under the crown of Italy, and half of it tried revolting for independence alongside Tuscany and Modena, so I just stomped the hell out of Italy while they were busy trying to hold their south together.

Lotharingia used to be a super power, covering roughly the territory of the HRE in 1066 and reaching all the way down to the tip of Italy. I successfully assassinated the king, splitting the country into two: Lotharingia is the north half, Italy is the south half. I declared a conquest of Zeeland, raised the levees of Norway and Ireland, and sailed south. By the time I landed my 7k soldiers, Lotharingia had somehow created a 15k doomstack that marched in. Now I'm trying to kill the new king of Lotharingia seeing as his heir is a 4 year-old girl. I just want this loving county :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Thesoldier posted:

Calling it now, future expansion will be another Rome based one that starts off in the 400's during the end of the Western Empire.

God I hope so, this sounds awesome. Alternative options include theocracies or some more New World alt-history stuff (c'mon colonization).

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ofaloaf posted:

Hey guys, the Newab of Bengal, the grandson of a previous king of Norway who's now become a Hindu, inherited Apulia five years ago in my game. I've been waiting for Bengalese Italy to erupt in revolt, but so far everything's been quiet. How do I get the Bengalis out of Italy?

Probably a combination of stabbings and JFK references.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rumda posted:

They have also added a Roman culture

Oh gently caress yes :flashfap:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gyshall posted:

So I feel bad for buying this game on sale because goddamn those patchnotes. Also Paradox rolling mod fixes into their own game? That is loving awesome.

It's ok, you'll have plenty of opportunities to spend money with new DLC/CK3.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

Heading over to the Paradox forums to read massive outrage over a fantasy DLC pack!

I hope this is real, I love the Elder Kings mod for CK2, too bad that it is not updated to the latest patch so I cannot play it any longer. SO more power for fantasy stuff!

Knowing Paradox fans they're probably more upset at the possible inclusion of Jews than the possible inclusion of wizards.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Geokinesis posted:

I think the only DLC that would get worse responses would be one focussing on Romani,

Is it wrong of me that now I want Paradox to release a DLC explicitly for the purpose of baiting racists? "CK2: Now with Jews, Romani, and, aw what the hell, African Americans and Aborigines."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dauntasa posted:

Caveman Kings 2.

Interesting Characters: Fred Flintstone, Count of Bedrock

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Isn't the Paradox stream supposed to be live right now? Any idea what's going on?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ThomasPaine posted:

Excellent! I wonder if we'll have playable theocracies?

This is all I need to hear for me to be willing to plop down my money. I want to play as the pope so badly :catholic:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I realize that in the real-world time period there wasn't a huge presence for Jewish leaders but only two playable Jewish leaders? Seriously Paradox?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kainser posted:

Uh, what exactly do you want them to do here?

Alt-history scenario. More low-level Jewish rulers. Conversion to Judaism. There are options they could have explored beyond "hey here's a Jewish leader and oh yeah you get a second if you have TOG."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm not booting up the game just to check how much territory Khazar holds in 866, but the fact that there's "one last Jewish Khazar duke" in 1066 implies that there's more than one Jewish Khazar character in the Old Gods start.

There's one last Khazar duke in 1066 for players who don't have TOG. For those who do, there's also the Turkic Khazar Khaganate, which admittedly problem has more than one ruler. That's still a pretty underwhelming number especially for players who don't have all the DLC.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rapdawg posted:

I like to think of this that, much like in real life, playing Jewish leaders is going to be playing hard mode to the loving max. I wondering if they will have an ambition of restoring the Kingdom of Israel not unlike the one with the Holy Roman Empire.

I just want to make a character with Strong and call him Sampson.

They've already confirmed a restoration of Isreal ambition, as well as a restoration of Judah and rebuilding of the temple.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yikes, I'm sorry for being disappointed in the very small representation of Jewish rulers. Thanks for letting me know what I am and am not allowed to be disappointed about in a new DLC.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fool_of_sound posted:

They didn't add India and Imperial China or let me ahistorically explore the new world. I'm so disappointed in this DLC. :rolleyes:

I too don't understand why somebody would want Jewish rulers in a DLC entitled "Sons of Abraham". If the DLC was called "The Silk Road" or something like that and left out China I think people would be understandably disappointed.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Look, I'm bummed there aren't more Jewish leaders is all. Ok? Cool. I'm shutting up.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

Who is that?

Ben Stein, noted comedian, game show host, and poo poo head.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

DStecks posted:

Thanks! :)

Have this... interesting pic as my thanks:

Do you really expect any differently of a 15 year old boy?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fader Movitz posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before but there's a new expansion to be announced next week.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...f9f1943fda34261

The hint says

Not really sure what to expect though, maybe a map extension.

Randomized maps based on the EU4 CoP map randomizer. Calling it now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

alcaras posted:

Have they posted a screenshot of the new map yet?

And will India be contiguous with the rest of the map, or is it a separate game mode?

No and they haven't specified, although I assume it will be contiguous.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

If I can't play a mixed-race Norse Indian Orthodox woman count living in Spain, this expansion sucks :colbert:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

Oh, the screenshots are interesting:

So no Mongolia, Tibet or China. Also note that the Caspian Sea consists of 4 different zones.

So, no problem sailing from Egypt to India, looks great.

Wait, so can you not sail around Sri Lanka because of Adam's Bridge? That's... bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Torrannor posted:

I think you can:

Oh, I didn't see this zoomed-in one. The placement of the war marker in the more zoomed-out picture made it look like Sri Lanka touched the bottom of the map making travel around it impossible.

• Locked thread