Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trying out this game after reading a few LPs for it and finally giving it a shot despite wanting to try it for... A while, not sure how long really. Attempting the Ua Briain start, but it doesn't seem to go as well for me as it does in the LPs and such; even when my vassal gives me everything he has and I train troops in my territory and stuff my troops barely outnumber the guy I have the de jure claim on, and I lose the battle when I actually attempt it. Is there something I'm missing or have things changed enough that starting Irish is no longer the way to go? Or is the RNG just really mad at me for some reason? If it matters, I have all the DLC, and everything except Sunset Invasion (don't want to get wrecked by the Aztecs in my first game) is active.

Anyway, two more questions. One, what should I do to get prestige back on my son after I marry him to a lowborn genius (I think this was covered but I can't remember what I actually need to do), and two, what are good things to look for in a wife when I already have an heir? Something to tutor any grandchildren in if the son's wife doesn't have what I want (after of course I do most of the raising myself so I can make the decisions), maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, still doing my Ua Briain game, it's going better. Was in the process of taking over enough counties to become King of Ireland. However, in the process of besieging the very last one, my guy died, leaving his inheritance to his son. Which, well, whatever, war's already over, and- Wait why can't I have the ambition to become King of Ireland? Why did I not get the option to create the title upon conquering the place? Is that only a thing Murchad can do, and now that I'm stuck with Brian I'm out of luck, or is there something I need to wait for?

Edit: Scratch that; making my conquered lands into duchies fixed that for some reason. Dunno what the problem was, but oh well. Now to save up money until I can make myself King.

Edit again: Still can't get any new ambitions on Brian, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 15, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, doing much better in this; the LPs just made things seem much faster-paced and usually cropped the images so there wasn't always a sense of how much time actually happens between things, so I felt like I was going way too slow. I've now managed to become King of Ireland with seven counties, get four of the remaining six to swear fealty to me, then conquered one of the remaining two, after which the last one saw the writing on the wall and reconsidered her decision to not join the Kingdom of Ireland.

I have a problem, though. I married my eldest son to some woman with claims in York (now Privek or something) in the hopes of eventually getting claims to the lands over there back when my first guy was still alive; however, after the marriage he went over to her court, and now, even though I'm king and everything's going to poo poo over there, I can't get either of them to come back. Besides this probably loving up my grandkids' education, I'm worried as to where he'll be when my current dude dies. He's still my heir, but will he return to Ireland or stick around over in that shithole?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jazerus posted:

Your heir isn't such a sucker that he'll pass up his inheritance - he'll take over your court as normal. You generally shouldn't marry your heirs to landed people for exactly this reason, though. Your grandkids are the only real casualties but man does losing control of their educations suck. You might see if you can ask his wife for permission to tutor them anyway - as you're their grandfather she might agree.

Oh, good idea. Didn't think to do that. Thanks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Started a new Ua Briain game, found (after a lot of searching in which I had at first apparently selected "No" to "My Religion" and didn't notice until I went through the whole list) a Genius wife for my son with over 20 Stewardship (though only 1 Diplomacy, since she's Shy and Paranoid as well as a Midas Touched), plus a good Grey Eminence to marry myself. Half a decade in my wife has given me four sons from three pregnancies, while my first son still has yet to have any kids. Baffled, I investigate, and discover that both he and his wife are Chaste.

Hoo boy. At least my conquest is going pretty well so far; got Desmond fast without losing a single war, and am in the process of taking Ormond as well. Chancellor has yet to fabricate a single claim, but hopefully he'll get at least one done before I finish sieging out this guy.

Edit: And finally, they had a daughter. Better than nothing, though she's apparently not a Genius or even Bright sadly.

Edit again: Aaaand in 1073 Murchad died. Gavelkind split up the three realms I controlled (drat chancellor failed to fabricate a single claim), so Desmond and Ormond are now in the control of my five and three year old half-brothers. Murchad didn't even have any real reason to die, it was a "natural death". Gosh dangit. I'm considering fratricide; I suppose I've gotten into the spirit of the game. Or alternatively I'll savescum because jeez.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 27, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Topic of Ireland, I got bored with forming the Kingdom of Ireland again and how much my progress slowed down when trying to expand to England/Scotland. So I did the reasonable thing and fired up a Zoroastrian game because Zoroastrianism is interesting. While I've had to employ some savescumming because holy crap can you die easily in this start, it's been really fun. Got Tabaristan and most of the Shahdom of Khiva so far; for the latter I just need to take the last four counties from the little punk who owns them, though breaking a truce with him again (didn't realize that there was a truce to be broken the first time) will probably ensure that I get holy warred into oblivion, whereas otherwise it's just really, really likely. Can't usurp it from him since it's his last title or something, so I'm gonna have to kick his teeth in instead. Or kill him and take it from his heir. Edit: Actually it looks that like Zoroastrian revolte that started a few years ago is going to completely conquer his everything. Wonder what will happen after that. Maybe I can get them to accept vassalage after they put this punk down.

And then I need to worry about the Abbasids and Saffarids... Oh well, making decent progress towards the Empire of Persia, and if Vandad fails his heir (which he will hopefully have a male one of by then; I'm going to have enough problems without my heir being the female child of my concubine if/when Vandad kicks the bucket) can finish the job. Too bad that dumbass in Gilan declared holy wars against the biggest empires he could; he managed to lose three holy wars in the time I won three, keeping Zoroastrianism's moral authority at 20%, and now he doesn't even have his land. I'll probably try to invite him to my court; I get an assload of lands to distribute to Zoroastrians after every holy war and I've already run out of people to give stuff to several times already.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 28, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, started the Zoroastrian game over because I felt like I hit a dead end. New start is going pretty well. Holy warred for Khiva right out the gate and took it, then holy warred the Taharids while they were dealing with the Saffarids. Got three of the four counties (Lut had already been besieged by the Saffarids, though I seem to have the two baronies), including the holy site, so I'm off to a good start. Also the Gilan dude managed to take over Tabristan and win a defensive holy war from that big rear end in a top hat in the west, so Zoroastrianism's moral authority is sitting at a pretty 42% (though my idiot vassal having declared a holy war for Merv and then getting his rear end stomped is going to knock it down a little again).

However, now I'm wondering what to do. I mean, when it comes to holding counties and stuff; obviously I'm going to take over Persia in the long-term. On the one hand, distributing out all the baronies and counties beyond my demense drastically cuts my levies, which I need a lot of, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure that costs me in the long term, and unless I hold everything all my vassals will hate me for holding so much, so I'm not sure if going full tyrant and holding everything myself is worth it. And there just aren't enough Zoroastrians to give only one thing to each; in my last game I was giving everyone the baronies with the counties I distributed, but I'm not sure how good an idea that is either. Advice on the pros and cons of all this?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zig-Zag posted:

IMO I would right click the baronies and create a random vassal. For barons or dukes that are directly under you I would pick zoros. Tbh though you should have such a high opinion with someone after you grant them a landed title they should convert when you ask them.

Oh, didn't realize that was an option. Neat.

Still, dang, running low on courtiers to give single counties too. Gonna have to do something about that somehow. Should I spend money on the Intrigue option to invite noblemen to court for that, or some other option?

Edit: VVV Alright, so I was close. Thanks.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, thanks for the tips. Think I'll be handing out the baronies with the counties anyway, since it gives a bigger opinion boost but they still make their own vassals anyway apparently. Meanwhile the ways to create new courtiers are really useful, though yeah, now that they have their own courts the Character Finder, limited to men of my religion and no land holdings, should be enough to find people from now on. It's just the beginning where it's hard to find people.

Edit: I find it funny how distributing land differs here from my Ua Briain games, though. In Ireland I try to give everything to other Ua Briains when possible, while here, family doesn't matter, as long as they're Zoroastrian. Obviously there being no Karens besides Vandad and his sister-wife makes it hard to practice nepotism, but it does reflect my general priorities here pretty well.

Also, while I already said that I did it, how I won Qohistan was interesting. In one of my sieges I captured one of the ruler's secondary wives. Despite being pregnant she didn't give a drat about her, so I just left her in my prison. She proceeded to give birth and die, and while I was wondering what to do with the little kid I noticed my warscore had jumped all the way to 94%. Turned out I now held his only son in my dungeons. The war was over shortly after that, only one more sieged city and I was at 100%. So that was fun.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, one last question. I didn't usurp/create the title of Satrap of Khiva or whatever after winning that holy war, and eventually the icon disappeared. Any ideas why? I still own all four counties that make up Khiva, and I also have the option to usurp the Satrapy of Khorasan now that I own (most of) it, so I'm lost.

Also for some reason Vandad's title this time around is Emira rather than Satrap for some reason, which doesn't make a difference but is still odd.

Edit: Actually another question, is it worth it to just keep breaking my oaths with the people I fight and holy war them out of existence, or should I respect them? If it were only an opinion malus with the Muslims I'd do it in a heartbeat, but it also gives me a Diplomacy penalty with everyone, which seems like a really bad thing. Also it eats tons of Prestige, which is bad too.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well this is interesting. Shah of the Samanids died of poor health, so I holy warred for Merv now that his son was in charge and I didn't have a truce stopping me; Merv is also the territory my idiot vassal had holy warred for earlier. Said holy war had never finished, and despite being around 50% in the other guy's favor he had Merv and one of its baronies besieged. When I won the war, I didn't get Merv (though I got the other three territories in the Satrapy of Merv, before anyone asks/gets confused), because it was sort-of controlled by my vassal. Which, alright, he can have it. Except, it's still in the control of the guy I kicked the crap out of, and apparently will be until that other holy war ends. Which, seeing as my vassal is marching his ~500 troops into a completely unrelated territory, may be a while.

Any tips on how to get this dumbass to finish what he started? The warscore, despite me dominating his opponent, is still heavily against him, so I doubt his opponent will surrender soon, and for some reason he doesn't seem too eager to end it himself. (Tangent, but when I started my holy war I had a warscore of 12% from the start because it counted me as occupying what my vassal did, so he gave me a bit of a head start despite his generally poor performance.)

Edit: Okay, turns out he was heading his army to the Shah's last remaining army. Except their armies were about even in size and he lost horribly, so now the warscore's even more stacked against him and he has less than 200 troops left. I mean, it looks like the Buddhist rebellion is going to finish the Samanids off anyway, but still.

Edit again: Okay, after the Buddhists destroyed literally all of the Shah's troops, causing the warscore to tick down a few percent every month despite my vassal not doing anything, they eventually made a white peace. At least it doesn't affect Zoroastrainism's moral authority, and in fact, after my plot to assassinate this kid goes off, will let me just claim Merv for myself instead and give it to someone less incompetent (and not in control of two duchies already). Meanwhile I'm eager to see the Buddhists destroy all of Samarkand and take it over; I can probably holy war them afterward and not have to worry about anyone else hating me for it since it's a rebellion of some peasants rather than any established group, so I won't be provoking any alliances or anything.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, another one of my vassals decided he could succeed where the other failed and is holy warring for Merv. Since Merv just has two castles to siege before it falls (the other two baronies I got after winning the war), that should be pretty fast.

On the other hand, though, the Buddhists are caught in a weird loop where their armies will start their sieges, then start moving (one's in a dark province but given that the smoke there disappears I'm assuming it's moving as well), then stop again, so their progress in the war has stopped. Any way to make them just sit down and end the war they already won, or are they going to be there forever with their 6000+ troops until I holy war for Samarkand and put them down myself? Because holy crap do I not want to deal with those massive armies, and also it's really annoying to watch that stupidity in the corner of my screen. Edit: Now I can see both, and yeah. One starts moving towards the other, then that one starts moving towards teh first, then they both stop moving, each time ending their sieges to do so. What the hell.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Darkrenown, anyone else from Paradox:

Please, please for the love of god let us set "this character is forbidden from leading armies" on anyone instead of just councillors. I've just wrecked my second promising Zoroastrian start in a row to "woops, turns out your king was leading an army and got conked on the head" because every time I raise an army he gets thrown in there somewhere, no matter how many times I subbed him out in the past.

Oh yeah, that's frustrating. I had to deal with it too, though for me the issue was that it kept Vandad away from his wife and concubines and made the already slow process of making heirs take even longer. Fortunately I have a pretty sizable peace period going (for me, at least), so hopefully they'll finally get a son soon.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allyn posted:

Leading troops/being a councillor that's stationed elsewhere/whatever has absolutely no impact on fertility, actually. You're just getting RNG'd (or have lovely fertility on your guy and/or his wife and/or his concubines).

Oh, really? Because the one time (I can remember) my wife got pregnant while I was away, I got the message that, well, it happened while I was away, i.e. She cheated on me. Which turned out to be true, and it was a bastard daughter. Which was rather unfortunate. Though I ended up discarding that save for other reasons shortly after anyway.

Anyway, the Buddhist armies are still being stupid and refusing to sit and siege, but also aren't moving anywhere, just starting to move and stopping repeatedly. Plus side, my vassal took over Merv, so I'm one holy war away from controlling all of Khiva.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommonTerry posted:

It's always awesome when that guy wrecks house. In one game he single handedly took over all of Iraq from the shattered Abbasids while I was getting pounded by the Samanids.

He waged holy war for Azerbajin as well, but died before it could finish, and his heir took over and, after a while, White Peaced. (Or alternatively his heir started that war himself, I can't remember exactly, but I do think that a war kept me from offering him vassalage for a while.) Tried inviting him to become my vassal, but as I'm not his de jure liege (I am now Shah of Khiva) he wouldn't accept. Fortunately, I'm in the process of taking over Persia (the kingdom, though also the empire I suppose) so hopefully it won't be too long before the Justanids join the Karens in restoring Zoroastrian dominance.

Tangent, looking around the Persian Empire's lands, it seems like Khiva is one of if not the best provinces in it, with seven possible holdings. Are there any better places for my capital, or should I just leave it here when I form said empire?

Also, what are the risks of holding too many ducal titles now that I'm a Shah, other than my vassals being unhappy? Now that they won't leave my control I don't mind handing the extra ones out, but I just want to know what this entails exactly.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 29, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update on The Worst Son (i.e. kid of the badass single-county Zoroastrian dude who conquered several counties and successfully held off the Caliph in a defensive holy war before dying): He managed to holy war away a single province from the Saffarids, though he was also being counter holy warred by the Caliph. After getting that one province (he wanted three more in the same duchy but belonging to the Dulafids as well but failed to get them), he successfully stopped the Caliph from destroying him.

...By converting to Sunni. I mean, he did have a 6000+ doomstack parked right on his capital, but it's still disappointing. My current goal now is to vassalize him again and make him convert back; the Justanids being Sunni doesn't seem right after all his father did. Also, their family crest is a pyre and all, pretty much the most Zoroastrian symbol besides, well, the actual Zoroastrian symbol. I'm four counties from forming the Kingdom of Persia; let's see if he'll accept my vassal request then. If not, I might have to take more direct measures to make him listen to me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On something related to that, in my Zoroastrian game I just had my third holy war a vassal has declared on an enemy that I have a truce with. Are there ways to prevent them from doing this, and/or can I help them without just assassinating the enemy and declaring war on his heir? (Not that I don't want to do that, it's just that when all your enemy's vassals hate you for being an infidel it's hard to plot against them most of the time, and meanwhile hired assassinations are more expensive than I can usually afford and really unlikely to work.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, out of curiosity, what are some good mods for this? The OP says that CK2+ isn't updating anymore but I swear I heard people talking about it more recently than that. Could be wrong though.

Also, semi-related, how on earth does multiplayer work in this? Can anyone pause it or does it just chug along the same for everyone, or something else? It seems like it would be rather frustrating either way, though if you have voice chat or something you could at least warn about upcoming pauses and stuff.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gotcha, thanks. Knew about the GoT mod and was thinking of trying it eventually, but the other things are good to know.

Couple more questions. First, I remember Sorites making his daughter his heir in his Zoroastrian LP despite (I think) him having other sons. Is that an option in elective nibarcies even if your laws aren't absolute cognatic, or am I just misremembering the "other sons" bit?

Also, for CK2+, how do Zoroastrians fare in it? The holy war changes seem like they might be a drawback, but on the other hand being able to start with 100 piety thanks to Xwedodah and then get more piety through warfare while your enemies can't declare an offensive war on you for a while and can only try to stop you from taking their stuff might actually buff their early game, which is presently "declare holy war immediately or pray you don't have it happen to you". (It will, Shah Nasr is an rear end in a top hat, take Khiva from him immediately because Khiva is a seven barony county and also gently caress that dude.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Demiurge4 posted:

The GoT mod is really good but I only recommend playing from Roberts Rebellion and onward if you have either read the books or don't mind being spoiled on some of the later events. It's also a very different experience from the base game because you will almost never hold more than two holdings personally and quite often you'll find your limit is 1. This is because a lot of the game is set around politics and personal relations rather than conquest, in fact there's a new tab on your character sheet that shows relations which lists friends, rivals and marriage ties to simulate the alliances.

Really? I had heard that as long as you avoided the A Feast for Crows scenario or whatever you were relatively safe, spoiler-wise, since before that was all stuff that had happened in the show and, this being CK2, things go quickly off-script when you actually play.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Torrannor posted:

Uhm, I don't know what nibarcies is/are, but elective sucession makes no difference between agnatic-cognatic or absolute cognatic. Only in agnatic are you barred from nominating females.

Ahahahaha, crap. That was meant to be "monarchies"; my finger was one key off for those first three letters. Thanks for the info, though; since absolute cognatic gives an opinion malus elective might actually be a better option for putting awesome female heirs on my throne, at least if I'm super-popular, and it doesn't require me to put out any effort and mod it so I can actually have absolute cognatic as an option.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can female Zoroastrian leaders take male concubines? I've got my Bright and generally ridiculously skilled daughter (only eleven years old and her stats are already 9/9/7/5/4 because she's just racking up the virtues and other great traits) elected as my heir in both my kingdoms, and while I'm probably going to directly marry her to one of her half-brothers for Xwedodah, it'd be great if she could get her own harem going like daddy Vandad (currently seventy years old and still kicking rear end; despite having picked up Craven a decade or two ago he's still by far the best warrior I have and leads in every war I've had, which combined with Shy and his other traits makes for a pretty cool story really; despite being a demure and somewhat traumatized man he's still fighting for his faith and countrymen and leading them to victory). If it's not possible in the base game, can it be modded in?

Also, man. From the same game, my oldest son (fourth child) came of age with a ridiculous 20 Martial. I decided to let him lead one of the flanks of my army in the war I was in. First battle, he died. Depressing; he would have made a killer Marshal for his half-sister. (Rest of his stats were trash and I had already married him to a different half-sister so they wouldn't have married though.) Edit: To make matters even worse, it was in a holy war for a single county, and it was against The Worst Son, Justan "the Cruel" Justanid, son of Wahsudan Justanid, who had managed to go from just ruling Gilan to being Satrap of Tabaristan and fought off the Caliph before dying. Between being indirectly responsible for the death of my son, refusing to accept my offers of vassalization, and forcing several Zoroastrians to convert to Sunni, I think I'm done dealing with him. Instead of trying to bring Wahsudan's son back, I'm thinking of plotting to kill him, replacing him with his son and vassalizing him instead. Despite having been brought up Sunni and therefore considering me an infidel, the kid likes me better than his horrible father does.

And on the topic of elections, I've got some dumbass trying to start a faction to become leader of one of my two kingdoms. This is stupid because he didn't nominate himself for it; my (again, only eleven years old) daughter is running unopposed and getting the votes in both. This guy is apparently aware that he can't compete with a child, so instead he's trying to subvert the whole system (and failing; his threat is hovering around 30% and I don't think he has any supporters). Edit: Wait, no, he's trying to get one of my sons on the throne. One of my child sons. Who, again, he could have nominated instead of trying to get a (supportless) revolution going for.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 2, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

No. Only men can have concubines.

Can it be modded, then? I remember seeing that Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession are both in the game but not active unless modded to be, so it seems reasonable for this to be a possibility too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edison was a dick posted:

Nope. You can't even use the scripting engine to add male concubines.

Dang. That's disappointing.

Speaking of disappointing things, got my first adventurer coming for me. Over a decade ago I crushed the Samanids, but apparently one managed to somehow forge a claim on one of my lands and raised an army. Fortunately, he "only" has 30k troops. To my 12k. Hoo boy, this is going to take some serious planning to deal with, especially since it happened while I'm holy warring the Saffarids for one of their last remaining lands. Not that the Saffarids are a threat (they've got like 1k troops left and are dealing with a rebellion with more troops than they have), but now I have to choose between sieging their stuff and devoting everything to dealing with the rear end in a top hat and his adventurers and letting my warscore for the Saffarid land slowly tick down.

Edit: Ahaha, wow. This guy's actually Shah Nasr's son. Even from beyond the grave Nasr is trying to gently caress with me. Going to have to crush this dude extra hard now. Fortunately he's splitting up his armies into 4.9k stacks all over the place so I can take them out one at a time with minimal losses if I do this right.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 2, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vandad finally kicked the bucket in my game (sadly before finishing the wars he was in, so I'll have to get around the truces some other way), at a spry young 78. Now Navvaba, his daughter and master diplomat (22/10/8/7/7, and with her 11/11/14/9/7 brother-husband and her council her state attributes are 45/31/34/26/29; she's pretty beastly, even if she's not the ubermensch some here have created) is here to finish the job and reform the Persian Empire. Hopefully; she's got a lot of time ahead of her (she's presently only 19) and despite being a female leader her vassals mostly love her because of how drat personable she is, but there's still a way to go.

Something interesting that just happened, the Tengri have reformed. Besides trying and failing to invade my lands when Vandad was still in charge, they haven't really done anything until now. Wonder how well the reformed faith will do in the hands of the AI. At least the flavor text for the Lords of the Sky is pretty awesome.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I think I pissed the game off because it's outright cheating now. The Caliph declared war on me, with his 17.9k army (yes, his levies were raised, which I'm pretty sure is supposed to preclude declaring war) right on my border; it then proceeded to immediately stomp into my land and start assaulting my holdings. I reloaded my save because that seemed like a bug, and now it happens immediately. Even on saves older than that one, and regardless of circumstance; after realizing that it didn't matter what save I loaded, I tried scumming one until I assassinated the caliph without being discovered, before which I had bribed his heir so his opinion of me was positive, and it still happened. I really don't know what to do here, since besides him declaring war on me my levies seem a few thousand units smaller despite all my vassals loving me, so trying to fight him off is nearly impossible and I don't want to forfeit territory to him even when he isn't breaking the rules and declaring war with raised levies.

Though, on a tangentially-related note, is it worth it to build the unit-enhancing cultural buildings if you already have retinues? I read that the bonuses from those are the same as what the retinues have, and I don't know if they stack or if retinues just don't get or need those bonuses, such as with horse archer retinues and the bonuses from riding grounds. If they do stack, then I'm going to build the crap out of them, but if not then I may as well not bother since I pretty much only get horse archers from my retinues anyway at the moment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allyn posted:

The bonuses only apply to troops from that holding, but they apply to all troops of that type from that holding. So say you're English/Welsh, the cultural building gives you archers +30% attack (or something like that), which applies to the archers from that building and the archers from the militia training ground in that castle. The retinue gets the bonus regardless of any building.

Gotcha. Hm, seeing as you get 60 horse archers if you get all the riding grounds upgrades... Unless Persians just get horse archers from normal levies as well, which I don't think they do, it doesn't seem to be worth it. Will put that money towards other upgrades instead; it'd probably be worth it for a different culture, but my retinues are my only source of horse archers without those upgrades, and they get the bonus already. Thanks for the info.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DStecks posted:

Are you sure they aren't event troops somehow?

Well, I suppose it's possible, but it'd be very odd because it's almost the entirety of his forces; he has fewer than 1000 troops beyond the doomstack. And I'm not sure where he'd get such a big event from in 910; the Abbasids' event troops form the start both were far fewer and are long, long gone. Pretty sure it's not a retinue either, he's only got Military Organization 1. (And either way it doesn't explain why no matter what he/his dynasty declares war on me, even in saves where he previously didn't, unless there's some mechanic or weirdness I'm unaware of that stretches across save files.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allyn posted:

You can always load up as the Abbasid guy and take a look at what his troops are, if you're curious. Then jump back on yours and consider what to do. If they are event-spawn troops, then once they're gone they're gone for good, so if he's only taking a duchy then forcing him to assault through and burn a bunch of guys may actually be worthwhile.

Huh, dang, they are event troops. Not only that, but while they're at just under 18k now, their original size was nearly 30k. What the hell kind of event did this guy get? (Also, yeah, since apparently he won't not declare war on me I guess I'm going to let him wipe out his troops assaulting all my crap. And I could holy war him first maybe; will have fewer troops then because my vassals don't have the massive opinion boost, but I'd actually get something out of the war.) Also wow minus the event troops his forces are tiny.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. Well, the Caliph having that massive army is really annoying, even if he won't get it back when it's gone.

Plus side, the opinion boost from defending against infidels is enough to make my vassals finally approve High Crown Authority, followed by Harsh City Taxes (I had it at High previously, then lowered city levies to balance it; I figure now I can crank those taxes up to max) and everyone still loves me because I'm standing between us and that Abbasid jackass.

Still baffled as to why he suddenly hates me so much it crosses time, space, and save files though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahahahahaha, wow. Two separate holy wars (well actually four or five if you count the ones that were declared but never actually did anything) from my vassals just took out the last of the Saffarids. Their dynasty no longer holds any land or power, because my vassals decided that I wasn't the only one who should get to holy war her enemies to death.

Too bad I'm going to have to take away all that land they claimed so I can have pretty borders inside my borders. But that can wait until I deal with the people outside my borders.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm just buying more horse archer retinues in my Zoroastrian game whenever I can. Horse archers are awesome.

Meanwhile, I'm having a bit of a problem. In my main shahdom and my second-largest, people have decided to ignore my nomination of my super-daughter and instead have voted for my half-brother, her uncle and betrothed. Other two shahdoms, though, are following my lead, but since my main shahdom isn't voting for her she's not my heir that I'll play as and also it's gonna split my realm.

My character's presently only 32, and other than a bout of pneumonia after giving birth to her son she's really healthy, so I have time to fix this. Just wondering if there's anything I can do directly; my vassals love me but they aren't changing their votes, possibly because my half-brother is also a diplomatic monster. Obviously I don't want to kill him, and I am just a little worried that something awful will happen to my current character before my daughter matures and wins over the people.

Edit: Also the Shia are rising or whatever. Funnily enough, despite my character hating their leader he likes her a lot, between her ridiculous diplomacy and them both being scholars. Perhaps an alliance can be worked out with them in the future, seeing as we both really dislike the Sunni that happen to be between us. I think they're over in Egypt, too, so until I've finished forming Persia (and possibly taken over India as well since it's cut off from everyone else by me) I have no reason to fight them.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 2, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like having dukes (or satraps, I suppose), personally. Makes my map prettier.

Topic of my earlier problem that started this whole discussion, my vassals have started supporting my daughter instead of my half-brother now. Just took them some time to come around I suppose. Man, the girl's got good stats already; 10/9/9/8/9 and she's only 10. Plenty of time to get even more traits. (I know this isn't nearly as impressive as some people's eugenics results, but it's the best I've done so far. And it's probably only going to get better; husband's going to be Strong so if I can get that and Bright or even Genius on one of their kids...)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 3, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, I've become empress of Persia. How many kingdoms can I hold as an empress/emperor without pissing my vassals off? Two, like duchies as a king?

Also, is there a way to choose to plot specific title revocations or are you stuck with whatever the list gives you? My demense increased so I want the last province in the second duchy I control, but the guy there isn't a traitor and I don't feel like murdering him and his three kids for one piece of land.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 3, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ithle01 posted:

Don't bother to form the kingdoms unless you're going to hand them out to vassal kings it's just more of a headache with succession.

You can plot to revoke counties in your capital duchy, but I don't think you can do it in other duchy titles you hold. Anyway, if your demense size increased try building new holdings in your capital duchy because you'll get the "in capital" bonus to your levy and make more in the long run. The beginning castle upgrades are fairly cheap so you'll match whatever that holding is in terms of levy fairly quickly (this is a lot easier as a norse since making money is so much easier for them).

For the kingdom thing, I'm asking because I already have the kingdoms and am getting a penalty for it (I think). Handing out the lesser ones was indeed the plan. That's why I need to know how many I can hold before getting the opinion malus. (Specifically, I'm getting a -45 for "Elector Titles Held". Might be because I control so much stuff in an elective monarchy, I suppose.)

Also, for the county thing, I'm looking at the list, and the province I want to revoke, which is in a duchy I directly control, isn't there, but three outside of the duchies I control are. It is rather odd, though all three that are there are outside of their de jure liege's control so that might be it. (Though strangely a fourth that's also outside its de jure duchy is not there, so I don't know what exactly qualifies these for this.) I'm wondering if there's a way to start a plot for this instead of just going by what's in the Intrigue screen's menu, though, like how you can plot to assassinate pretty much anyone.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man. Why does the dang Caliph have to hold so much of what remains of Persia? I want to become the Saoshyant but no one wants to kill the bastard and I'd rather not sink several thousand prestige or take a Diplomacy penalty.

Maybe I can incite some revolts and snatch the land up before he puts them down. I'm definitely not waiting decades for this; he's got four different partial duchies I need and my current truce with him was formed less than a year ago. Half the holy wars I need to declare will be against him (or his heirs/revolting vassals); there are four other places I need, each one with a separate ruler (though the two I do have truces with are blocking off the two I don't), so I can rip through them soon enough. (Edit: Actually I'll need only three wars with the Caliph; what I thought were two separate counties are in fact all part of Baghdad, I just control the part between them so looking at it outside of de jure duchies mode made it look like two separate things.)

Oh, and the Justanid story's come to a disappointing apparent end; Justan II ended up being absorbed by one of his neighbors after I took everything but Gilan from him. When I targeted his neighbor I went for the bigger section that didn't have Gilan in it, hoping he'd still be around after I finished that war. Instead, his liege took his land after I took his and just booted him out of his court entirely; now he and his family are courtiers to some dumbass down in India, and because of his religion he won't accept an invitation to my court. My goal of converting the Justanids back to Zoroastrianism and putting them in charge of Tabristan is going to take a lot more effort than I originally thought.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 3, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angela Christine posted:

You could try pissing him off, eventually he'll plot against you and you'll have free cause to arrest him and revoke one of his titles. Make him the court jester, repeatedly assign him to council and then fire him again, whatever it takes to make him hate you. Afterwards he'll probably hate you for the rest of his life, but his kids won't.

He already hates me quite a bit; was the only person who refused to come to my feast. Not sure what to do beyond that, though; while he has a faction to lower crown authority in the shahdom he's in (though not the empire as a whole, so it doesn't mean much) he hasn't plotted in a while.

Topic of plots, two funny things about them in this game. One, the game apparently doesn't calculate whether someone already has 100 opinion of you when calculating if a bribe would push them over the edge to joining your plots; I can get to 74.5% in my plot to revoke one of the counties outside its de jure borders in my land, and I can't get to the necessary 80% because all the people I'd bribe already love me as much as they can so the bribe literally does nothing except lose me money.

Other funny thing is how much people are plotting to fabricate claims in my lands. Since I'm the Zoroastrian leader, every single title in my land was either usurped or outright created by me, then personally handed out to whoever I saw fit. I can just imagine my ruler calling people into her court and asking them how, exactly, they are in line to receive the title when that title did not exist until she created it. (This is helped because, despite everyone loving her since she's a diplomatic beast, she has a pretty negative opinion of almost everyone. I can just imagine how silently frustrated she is all the time.)

And man, her daughter's even more beastly in stats than she is, despite only having Bright (which she has as well), the same education, and four other traits: Just, Patient, Ambitious, and Diligent. Four of the best possible heir traits to get; all except Just boost at least four stats (and Just is still +2 +1), and Just and Diligent give an opinion boost with vassals. The Karen matriarchy is pretty powerful so far, and since it's Elective I don't even need to worry about unlanded sons and whatnot. Now if only I can breed Attractive into the line as well; I already have positive opinions with pretty much everyone except the pope because of my diplomacy, but a +30 to opinion from male rulers (i.e. most rulers) would make things even better.

Also, now I get to point and laugh at the Caliph. He's gone from the bane of my existence to a nuisance in that I am limited in how often I can go to war with him and take his stuff, and now even other Sunni are taking his land from him. He just lost Damascus (his old capital) to the Bursaqids. Sadly they aren't taking away his land in Persia for me to subsequently steal from them, but it's still funny to watch.

Edit: Unrelated, but is there a reason I can't search for traits in the Character Finder? People said you can but I haven't been able to.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 3, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darkrenown posted:

Just type the trait name in in the name box of the character finder.

That's what I'm doing. It isn't working.

Also, something annoying; I can arrest plot leaders, but actually doing anything to them is still viewed as tyrannical even though arresting them isn't. Why is this? Literally all I can do without gaining tyranny is release them, which, well, while it does boost the opinion of other vassals, is not what I want to do.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, the Tengri are doing really well in my Zoroastrian game. Besides reforming the faith as I mentioned before, they've actually formed Tartaria. I need to go check their accomplishments, because other than their failed invasion back when Vandad was still alive it seems they've been doing very well.

The HRE's also doing well, of course, massively overstepping its de jure borders. I won't have to deal with it for a while, since I'm still getting the last pieces of Persia (I am in the process of getting one of the last three duchies that make complete it), but assuming something awful doesn't happen to it I'm going to have quite an opponent when I start going beyond Persia's borders. The Saoshyant is the "savior of the world", after all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh boy, got my first jihad declared on me. Doubt it'll come to anything, as my retinues, levies, and the Immortals are well over 30k, maybe even 35k around 40k large all together, but it's still an interesting happening. Sunni religion's still hovering around 70 moral authority despite the beatings I've been giving the Caliph and my other neighbors, as well. They're still doing surprisingly well for themselves, despite things. (Do assassinations of the religion leader end their jihad/crusade/whatever? I've had a plot to kill him going for a while, so I could take more of his land without waiting out his truce, but I'm curious how it'll interact with this.)

Shia, though, doesn't even have any provinces following it; the "Rise of the Shia" dude got converted to Sunni ages ago and has slowly been having his stuff taken from him. More people follow the heresy Hurufi than there are actual Shia followers. Kind of disappointed that one dude didn't do better; was hoping to ally with him, pincer our Sunni enemies between our armies, and lay waste to the Caliph and his allies. Guess I'm going to have to steamroll them all myself instead.

Edit: VVV It can be 450 if you're assassinating an emperor. That's how much it'd be for me to try to assassinate the Caliph, for example. Same for the ruler of Tartaria, while the pope only costs 350, so it's an emperor thing rather than a religious head one.

Tangent, man. The HRE and Byzantine Empire get those fancy borders for their icon, and Tartaria has a really neat frame with horses and stuff as well, but the frame I'm getting for Persia is just a bigger version of the one I get as a normal shah. It's disappointing; they could at least had something other than exactly what you had before.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, while I went with female heirs because they were the ones inheriting Quick, I'm really seeing the drawbacks of it as a Zoroastrian. Besides the missing choices and events (some of which don't even make sense; why can my female ruler not host a tournament?), the lack of concubines has me worried about my future gene pool. Also the grandchildren aren't even getting Quick, which is annoying. Really, some of the things denied to female characters in this game are silly; male concubines were actually a thing in history, and even if they wouldn't be as mechanically effective as female ones (the female ruler can still only have one pregnancy at a time, no matter how many men she has) it'd be really useful right now to keep my family tree from getting too tangled. Also it'd be fun for story purposes.

On a different topic, is it normal for the people I give kingdoms to to have two "Vassal King" opinion modifiers sinking their opinion of me? Because that seems really, really annoying. Especially when my empire title goes down to someone who doesn't have the opinion booster of having given those assholes their kingdoms in the first place.

• Locked thread