Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

crm posted:

What's a good place to start with Old Gods, because I don't know wtf is going on.

I'm starting as Harald Fairhair of Ostlandet, and it seems like a pretty cool start. He's young, highly skilled, and with the ambition to become King of Norway you can subjugate all the little dudes around you. Watch out for his uncle, though, he plots like a Disney villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Kainser posted:

Ireland is a goddamn looting piņata :toot:

Reform the faith.

Hmm. What were the Norse Holy Sites? Apparently I need them before I can reform.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Whups, Harald died a bit early for my plans, and now it's a duel between his two quick sons. Fortunately, the elder has 2 duchies to the younger's three, and he has 18 Diplomacy despite being only 14 years old.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My duke reclaimed his lost duchy, hit 16 and became a grey eminence (26 diplomacy now!), and picked up the +12 glowing axe from an Irish raid.

And then the King of Sweden (and some bits of the Baltic coast) declared war on me. If I can survive, I can probably turn the tables in a few years and bring the might of the united Scandinavian Empire down on Europe with a generation. If not, well, playing Norse seems to be easy come easy go.

Paradox's next promo video should be a CK2-themed Bohemian Rhapsody.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My second game of Fairhair is going much better than my first. Two things I did differently:

- Be more aggressive.
- More ritual sacrifices of missionaries and evil plotting uncles (and mercenary company leaders)

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh, I just discovered that there are FOUR options for changing succession laws! Ultimogeniture is a pretty awesome-sounding word, and might let me spare a couple generations worth of elder sons.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It took far too long for that image to be posted in this thread.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've had some fun things going on recently. First of all, Old Gods seems to have broken the scoring system...

The other thing is the crazy Petty King of Tripoli, and his family line in general. I'll have to dig back in my saves to see how he came about, but on one of my raids I noticed a small blob in the solid Muslim green of the Middle East

He passed away shortly after, giving the throne to his son...

...who is pretty much the best non-pregenned/player-raised and non-bright/genius ruler I've seen in a long time. Both he and his father are sitting on the only Catholic territory east of the Schism, and have somehow managed to avoid any sort of invasion from the superpowers surrounding them.

And I just now noticed that they are Bretons.

:psyduck:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

How do I take concubines from foreign courts? I've spotted a young and quick Orthodox girl, and I'm hoping she can give my current Fylkir the male heir that his Empress (and concubine Spymaster) can't.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I just added Girl Power to my game, and now clicking on any of my savegames results in a crash to desktop. What am I doing wrong? :ohdear:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Okay here you go!

Also, I believe Girl Power is compatible to the latest version.

I tried this version as well, but it still crashes. The first savegame I click brings up a completely gray map with the wrong date, and clicking anything else causes the CTD. I don't have any other mods running, and have all the major DLC.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

What's the secret to pruning the family tree? Do I have to assign my unwanted heirs to a county before I can plot to stab them?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Are you muslim? Being muslim is kinda the only reason why you'ld want to prune it.

Speaking of, goddamn the in game family tree is unwieldy when I have 2000 total members and 600 are still alive. How do noble families like that work? Is there the main branch/house and holdings and everyone else is all spread out over the country?

Not Muslim, but my first wife was a 'safe' nobody and I want her kids out of the way so my second wife's (Queen Skuld I of Scotland's) kids can inherit two kingdoms.

^Ah, okay. So I have two sons and three daughters ahead of the lucky lotto winner baby girl. If I take out the two sons with diplosassins and ship off the unlucky daughters in normal marriages, then the target daughter will inherit once she is married matrilinealy, right?

AfroSquirrel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 16, 2013

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Wrong. It doesn't matter if a girl is married normally or not, your oldest daughter will inherit (except if you run ultimogeniture or elective/tanistry of course). You need to eliminate your daughters from your first marriage as well, or hope for a son from your second wife.

Hmm. There's another outcome, possibly. If I play as one of the unlucky sons, he should get some sort of claim to Scotland (if the ruler is his sister and not a theoretical brother), right? It'd be annoying, but I could probably take it by force.

Also, there's some achievements in one of the game's files. Any idea why they aren't live?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hmm, I'm having some trouble with using the Subjugation CB. I'm currently King of Denmark, and want to use it on the King of Sweden. We're both pagan, and the Norse religion has not been reformed yet. What is keeping it from going off?

Also, where are the casus belli requirements in the game files? That might save some time rather than constantly asking questions.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've done a Subjugation before, but I thought that it was a 10-year time limit. I haven't kept count, but I've had two blots since my last one so something must have gone wrong (or it's now a lifetime thing).

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I think this is the best I've ever done with one character:

This is my first 867 start, and this is 921 just after my starting character died, so I'm not sure how unusual the stuff that's happening in Europe is, but the Magyars in this game apparently had no interest at all in taking hungary and were content to chillax on the banks of the Dnieper for 50 years, meanwhile the Khazars got expelled from the Steppes and apparently took their place. The Byzantine empire is still all together, and the Karlings keep warring back and forth over bits of Frisia and Italy.

I've been tanking the authority of catholicism, and the Queen of Great Moravia just went Lollard. I'm hoping that's a trend.

West Francia: Now further east than East Francia!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

My Prepared Invasion in a recent game had a weird little quirk. At the successful conclusion of the invasion, the troops went away, but not their boats. Since the game hasn't required me to disband them in order to declare wars and such, I've kept my 143 ship 'ghost fleet' as the Emperor's personal raiding fleet.

I resolved my earlier inheritance problem, by the way. Queen Skuld died young, and her daughter inherited. Then my King died, and Gavelkind made a mess of things, but my heir was the only one to have hit adulthood so far. He stabbed two of his little brothers to regain jarldoms, revoked another county from a third for pretty borders, and then stabbed the lil' Queen of Scotland and inherited her land. And then subjugating Sweden gave him the piety to be declared 'the Holy', since none of the plots were ever solved. He's now Emperor of Brittania, King of Denmark, Scotland, England, Sweden, and Ireland, ruling out of Sjaelland (because island-capitals look best on the map).

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So, I'm trying to change succession laws in my empire, but peace is hard to come by (especially since I can't join my vassals' little slappy-fights). Do I just start stabbing and plotting until they wars stop, or is there a better/less bloody way to quiet things down?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Ok so playing as the Petty King of Munster in Ireland I'm gradually getting the hang of stuff but I've got a few questions:

War:
The county underneath me is de jure mine but the guy who owns it is not a vassal, I tried fighting him and pressing my claim but I don't know how to get enough troops to successfully siege his castle after beating his levies, how should I go about doing this?

Marriage:
If I had a daughter is there any point to marrying them off non matrilineally?

War: Save money and hire mercenaries.

Marriage #3: Alliances!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

grancheater posted:

I will not be blackmailed!

Now just give him the wink and it will be perfect.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Coolguye posted:

drat it, I just picked this game up again after about a year of not playing it, and it's bad enough that they nerfed my "brown people in Scandinavia" nonsense, but when did they change it so you can't have Absolute Cognatic inheritance unless you're Basque? Is there an easy way to mod that crap out?

You can grab the 'Girl Power' mod posted a couple pages back. It also lets ladies hold council positions under Absolute Cognatic if they have a suitable education.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I went back 10 pages and didn't see it. Could you link it, please? I actually have a Midas Touched Genius daughter right now and holy gently caress it's terrible that her massive intellect is going to waste.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bacy8vdjbg9m5mq/Girl+Power.zip

It's not vanilla-save-compatible though.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

f12, just like any steam game.

Also I'm running a tavern now.

That event chain is the best "Improve X". The choices actually matter! Also free money, and the mental image of an Emperor twice-over serving drinks at a tavern.

Speaking of double-Emperors, is there a reason I should have multiple Empires, or should I just pick the color I like best and destroy the other title?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Crusaderking posted:

So I was clowning around with the ruler designer in the Project Balance mod,(which for whatever reason has set all the penalties for traits to 0) and I created a martial demigod with 21 health. He died at age 38 in single combat against a 55 year old drunken, craven, gluttonous bastard in a fight where said bastard was outnumbered 4 to 1.

:psyduck:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I had my 20+ martial king with the berserker and viking traits lose a Viking duel to a landless courtier with 4 martial.

edi: Ooh. And the Strong trait.

The Valkyries must not have been feeling patient in claiming your dudes. Rest assured that they're partying it up in the afterlife!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Pretty sure it's a duchy in West Africa which makes the image all the more confusing.

They must have developed a successful flying machine and laid claim to the skies!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I've got a bit of tech trouble. Starting today, clicking on an save game triggers and immediate crash to desktop. Has this happened to anyone else before? I haven't modified my game since I played last, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't any update last night.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

maev posted:

Quck question about founding the Roman Empire. I've got everything except control over the entire duchy of Genoa, which I actually control except there's 3 holdings out of 5 which belong to Genoa, not to me, which means I technically don't control it.

I've just come out of a war with Genoa, is the only way of securing the other holdings to declare war on each single one (those are the only options I get in the declare war menu) with the truce gaps in between each? I know I can just say gently caress my prestige (the first broken truce will cost me 6k..) and the christian foreign views but I'd rather erm, not do that.

Stab the ruler after each war. The new guy won't be protected by the truce!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh, now my game works fine. No idea what caused that odd day.

Oh, and the Duke of Thrace succesfully revolted and kicked the Basileus out of Constantinople. :psyduck:

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

You know what would be a great joke DLC/expansion? Fake language options! Like Ye Olde Englishe, or replacing all the letters in the English translation with a Norse rune font.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Game installed. That...that is a lot of DLC to purchase. :catstare:

Most of it is cosmetic (but still worth grabbing on sale anyways. Except for Mediterranean Faces). The main ones to get are Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, The Republic, and The Old Gods. Sunset Invasion is only if you want reverse-Aztecs.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

1066 Ireland -> 1066 Christian Iberia -> 867 Pagan Poland/Lithuania seems like a good progression of difficulty.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This lass looks like a good candidate for future Empress.

I didn't know base scores could go above 11. And the Emperor is a Grey Eminence. She's going to conquer the world with a smile.

Edit: This generation has favored the ladies. The two older sisters are both Quick and broke 20 in Diplomacy and Intrigue, respectively. The older brothers one the other hand, didn't break 10 in anything. Little bro looks like he might make a good steward, but the new littlest bro (born after this screenshot) is Slow.

AfroSquirrel fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 2, 2013

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

How are you going to make her Empresses with three brothers and two older sisters?

Elective succession.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Zurai posted:

I've never been able to choose grandchildren under Elective, which definitely seems strange but may have something to do with it being based off the HRE succession (I don't know enough about it to say). As for the rest, it generally sticks to close members of your dynasty, especially if they're still in your realm, as well as powerful kings/dukes.

I think I've only been able to pick grandchildren when they were landed or their parents were dead and they remained in my court.

So the answer is - as always - stabbing.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Billy the Mountain posted:

Edit: Holy jeesus I just noticed the Timurands 193k Doomstack of stupid bigness in Egypt.

Wow...um....huh.

There's always a bigger fish. Unless you're Pagan God-Emperor of the entire world!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rincewind posted:

For me, Girl Power was the culprit, so I just contented myself with editing the succession rules so I could switch to cognatic even though my culture was Anglo-Saxon.

Is there a reason why Basque is the only allowed culture in the base game?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh, I just discovered miracle healing. My Emperor was maimed early on, and later became possessed. One of the possessed events wounded him, and when the wound healed he was no longer maimed and instead only had the scar.

It must be one impressive scar.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

https://www.humblebundle.com/store CK2 Collection for 20USD for about as long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

What are the requirements for Ironman Mode? I've deleted all my mods and verified my game cache but it still won't let me use it.

• Locked thread