Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Are all Norse realms stuck with Gavelkind...? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kainser posted:

Reform the faith.
Yes I know, but weren't most Norse realms in real life nominally Elective? What were žings, after all?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Really, though, what's the justification for Norse being Gavelkind?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
How do you reform the Norse faith, anyway? I couldn't see a tooltip for it when I was hovering over things in the Religion panel. Do you personally have to own all the religious sites (or is it a certain number of them?) or can it be reformed so long as anyone of the Norse faith holds those sites?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Does the size of your raider army relate to how quickly they pillage gold, or is it a set amount?

Also it seems the loot bar on owned provinces affects your tax income?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

gfanikf posted:

So I'm installing the game and I was wondering with all the religious options is it possible to try and rule as a Jew?
Now that would be ridiculous.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Yeah Europe's always a mess in TOG.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
The game ends.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

crm posted:

Can somebody verify this works in Norseland?
Temple owners are disinherited, but I thought only females could own temples? Maybe it's both genders.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Will that work if you, as a Duke, make your heir a City-level landowner? Will you have a republic when he inherits?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Did they change how modding in new CoAs works? I did everything correctly - the new CoAs show up in-game, BUT they don't show up when using previous savegames. So in order to use custom CoAs I have to start a new game? That seems bogus, and that wasn't the case before. Anyone familiar with this?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Two questions I've seen asked but not answered;

1) How does the HRE form? What conditions need to be met, or will it just fire at a certain date?

2) How do the Magyars form Hungary? Can they ONLY form Hungary in the Carpathian basin? Will the decision to do so eventually go away after a certain date?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Raiding means you need to siege down the province in question.
This is not true.

And thanks, Walliard!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

HenessyHero posted:

Some homeless guy wants to take one of my county's, just because, I see he brought a big army with him so I call in some mercenaries to now outnumber him 5-2, with a completely stacked frontline of 20+ martial brick shithouses with good traits. This guy proceeds to kick my teeth in, wiping out more than half my guys while taking like no damage himself.
Speaking of, does anyone know what changes Paradox have actually made to the battle system? Combat seems rather different, as do levy sizes.

Do Norse rulers get a levy bonus? I feel like there's more doomstackery going on in the 9th century.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
This talk of the broken balance is a bummer. I've never tried Better Armies before - will the new version fix said problems/be savegame compatible?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Those are called portages.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Useless Shotgun posted:

While I am all down for having an update on Christianity, I really would like to see Paradox put Judaism into the game. I know it's in CK2 Plus, but it seems like such an important part of Medevial life to leave out. Plus it is sad to see Tengri Khazars, being that Dictionary of the Khazars is a book I really enjoy.
Doesn't Paradox have a "no Jews" policy, or did I make that up?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Gyshall posted:

What other Rulers are similar to the Muenster start in Ireland 1066? I'm interested in "babby's first CK2" game type of things.
Maybe Ivar the Boneless of Suthreyar in 867.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Are there any events/mechanics tied to any of the Catholic heresies? ie, is there any benefit to my converting to Lollardy or Catharism besides holy wars and the self-reward of being less morally reprehensible than Catholicism?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

marktheando posted:

I want more Africa, I want to play as Great Zimbabwe.
That would be seriously amazing. If only Paradox wasn't Paradox.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Speaking of which, is there a version of Vinland Saga that's printed left-to-right? This thread made me want to read it but I can't stand the manga format.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Annath posted:

I don't think it's even printed in English, I've only ever seen fan translations, and those will always be right to left.
Ah, you're right, looks like the first English translation is coming out on hardcover in October.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Is the Vinland event a chain with a chance of success/failure, or is it a one time thing?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
What form of succession/crown authority is most likely to break apart or weaken big blobby empires? The Byzantines are huge in my game and I want to keep them from continuing to expand. Should I edit the save file to make them.. pure cognatic gavelkind with low crown authority..? Is that most liable to cause civil wars?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kalos posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a mod that makes the big fuckoff empires a little less stable in computer control? Sure they have their succession crises and civil wars, but I've never seen a large state really balkanize or get any sort of independence movement off the ground without player intervention. The only time I see significant changes in borders is when two massive states breed with each other enough that some lucky sap inherits both France and the HRE or something equally horrifying.
Yeah I'm really in need of something like this.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Is there something I can mod into the game to seriously prohibit AI blobbing? How does CK2+ do it?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Thanqol posted:

CK2+ reduces levy sizes based on your realm's size, so the HRE gets say 15% of it's levies while a smaller realm gets 100%. This stops it from being a giant empire steamroll every time.
This sounds perfect, although I'm glancing through the CK2+ files and I'm not sure what files specifically govern these values? Anyone know?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Could someone upload their triggered_modifiers.txt (under CKII/common) or paste it on pastebin? I hosed it up accidentally and now my checksum is different. :/

I would be eternally grateful.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

YouTuber posted:

I've always felt like Anti-Pope was a poo poo mechanic that was half finished.
This describes all of the theocratic/papacy-related mechanics.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
What even shows up in the Chancellor slot, then?

I hope there's horse portraits

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Daktar posted:

Tell me my borders look pretty. TELL ME THEY'RE STILL PRETTY!

This is the result of me aggressively downsizing Scandinavia. I'm trying to keep hold of the Russian Empire area, Britannia and, of course, Scandinavia itself. Everything else must go, save for a few counties to keep the river routes into the inland seas clear and Venice for that sweet, sweet trade money. It'll be interesting to see how it looks in a hundred years or so. Practically everyone is part of the sprawling Dakthorr dynasty too, so there's claims and counterclaims and alliances all over the shop. I get called to war almost every minute.
I would just give up if my game looked anything like that.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
That is super interesting, thanks for posting it!

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
It turns all male characters female.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I for one am partial to Red Jews.

Dear thread, I have a modding question:

Is it possible to make it so that any character can offer to join any other character's war? Rather than it being restricted to holy wars/alliances?

Or is that hardcoded?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
So what's the state of CK2+ and Better Armies after this latest patch? :/

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Does that mean I don't need to have CV-Fixes/whatever, as in its been bundled with Better Armies, or does it simply mean that you've made it compatible with the CV stuff?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I wish someone would mod CK2+ to return all the duchy, county, and kingdom colors to their defaults. Scandinavia and the British Isles are giving me a headache in 867 in CK2+, and it's such a pain in the rear end to go through and change all the colors back.

This is very important.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Amalfi in CK2+ doesn't start out with enough tech in Trade Practices (or whatever is needed) to build Trade Posts. What file contains the values that govern this? I can't find them.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Anyone know how to edit a realm's starting tech levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Protagorean posted:

Is there a way to change the crest for a kingdom? The off-center, too-small menorah flag Wiz used for the Titular Kingdom of Israel is loving awful.
Yeah, just open the k_israel.tga (might be called something else) file in photoshop (it's under CK2Plus/gfx/flags) and copy-paste your own image in.

• Locked thread