Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, the Haraldr Fairhair start in Old Gods is way too fun. My dude upgraded to a Brilliant Strategist with Inspiring Leader and Mountain Terrain in the first one or two battles. I successfully claimed and stole one of the other Norse religious sites from the Swedish dukes, but unfortunately Denmark had solidified into a fairly powerful kingdom.

So now I'm trying to snipe Zeeland from Lothgrania, which absorbed all of Italy minus one or two counties at the south. But my Bulgar allies sent a tiny army in and managed to reinforce my 5000-man deathstack, and Lothgrania has a huge number of revolts all over the place. It also helps that my two sons who are helping me lead this army both have Defender and Flat Terrain, so we just beat an 8000-man stack with less than 500 losses. Having insanely high Martial lords makes battles with insane odds completely winnable as long as you utilize your unique Martial traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Especially because since it takes a pretty long time to merge Abyssinia and Nubia, especially with the 867 start. I always felt like it was hard enough to form the kingdom without the Caliphate making GBS threads on you, then the Egypt change made it basically impossible.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never realized the 867 Magyar start was basically the easiest way to get an empire, as well as choose between a few major religions. I formed the Empire of Carpathia before I even ruled Hungary for 5 years. I also have ~half of the Wendish Empire and a good third of the de jure Byzantine empire under my control. I have a shitload of kids and all my vassal kings are my dynasty. This owns.

Also I made all my vassal kings and direct vassal dukes convert to my religion and they promptly imprisoned and revoked all the titles of about half of their subjects. :stare: The AI doesn't gently caress around with religion.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

My prepared invasion of Africa just ended inconclusively because the Sultan gave his brother the Sultanate (the capital moved from Tunis to Tripolitania; the sultan didnt die or anything) :negative:

Ah, the Roman strategy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh boy, I finally played a single game long enough to see the warnings for the Aztecs showing up. I wonder if I can manage to beat them with a 17.5k retuine, a 40k vassal levy, a 20k personal levy, and all 5 holy orders (4 of which are vassals) that exist at this point in the game. Maybe I can marry a girl or two off to the HRE in time.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Probably not. I mean they are like Mongols on steroids and you aren't meant to beat them in a straight fight, but by all means throw everything you have at their bullshit stacks and grind them down so you can eventually take back what is yours.

:negative:

Oh well. I suppose that in worst-case scenario, I'll still have roughly half a century to take back my holdings before the game ends. Maybe I should pull the Roman technique and just move the capital over to somewhere in Norway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress the Aztecs are a nightmare. I have no clue how I am going to handle this well, especially considering the whole Iberian peninsula decided now was a great time for smallpox. Apparently the Aztecs don't get attrition.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of the Roman Restoration, I always thought it was annoying that Catholic Italia wasn't allowed to mend the schism by conquering Constantinople. The Romans weren't Greeks goddamn it. There's probably a mod that does that but idk.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So the Aztecs showed up. I hired 40k mercenaries and 35k Holy Orders, and combined with my retuine and personal levy I was able to get about 88k soldiers. For some reason almost the entire invasion force went to go gently caress with the muslim clown car in Morocco and lost about half their soldiers. I managed to bait the Scottish invasion into attacking a tiny army on mountainous terrain, then moved in my 80k doomstack and had my 25 martial ruler with two holy order grand masters beat the poo poo out of them.

The AI is really bad at armies sometimes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just completely destroyed the city of Paris. Goddamn I love that feature.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

RoI is probably the worst DLC. I would say except Sunset Invasion, but I've actually had fun with that one.

Sunset Invasion is a little goofy but gameplay wise it's fine. It just makes it so someone who's not playing in Russia or Persia gets to actually have something happen to ruin their slow blobbing spread.

I mean, it comes so late usually you have enough troops to just outright win, but hey. Gotta start somewhere. Rajas on the other hand doesn't seem to add anything and I have never seen an Indian nation push out of Afghanistan.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

What's this? I've never heard of this before! I'd always been under the impression that, aside from trade along the Silk Road and through India, China was always more preoccupied with what was going on in their side of East Asia.

it's almost like every part of the world had things happening besides the mediterranean and europe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Romuva has two of it's holy sites (two of the three that are normally in dejure Lithuania) unspawned at game start on the Charlemagne bookmark.. :downsbravo:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite Charlemange bug so far is how if you convert to a merchant republic from a tribal government, you automatically get Seniority election. However, the Designated Heir title still works and overrides Seniority. It's pretty sweet. I just wish being a Cathar let you select female heirs :smith:

I really wish you could set Papal Investiture even though you are a Republic. It's not a real Irish Republic unless it's full of die-hard Catholics.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am starting to think there's some kind of hidden mechanic where if you name your kid James II or some poo poo after your ruler, he's gonna end up with horrible dogpiss stats.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why don't Merchant Republics have the ability to set Papal Investiture? So strange. I get that the law basically means 'does the king appoint bishops, or does the Church?', but since I'm just a hopped up burgher I should really be conceding to the Church anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't say I hate Garmantes Guy for wanting a Roman Empire mod but honestly I don't see how even Imperial Rome's way of doing things is at all represented by CK2. IMHO it's better just being ignored even though Roman history is super loving cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Wait wait wait.

This dude is a lustful maimed dwarf. A lustful maimed dwarf who is the Sword of the Allfather. It's a Viking Tyrion Lannister. That is amazing.

You have AIDS, my man.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first game as Ireland had me winning the holy land, finishing the reconquista for the Spanish (and making all of Hispania Irish while I was at it), driving the pagans from Lithuania, brutally curbstomping Cathars, etc. I was the sole winner of every single crusade and defended almost 12 Jihads for for the Holy Land single-handedly. The key is to not give up just because the Muslims look big and strong. The Shia and Sunni Caliphs waste a shitload of time beating eachother up, so just wait till they've been in a war together for a while and Holy War their stupid rear end.

Also I don't know why there's a few extremely vocal dudes in this thread who just tell everyone to cheat whenever they encounter a problem. What the gently caress? If you wanted that experience, I recommend picking up a bunch of historical novels.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just remembered today that my favorite thing about the CK2->EU4 converter is how anything owned by the HRE at lower than Absolute gets broken up into duchies and independent counts, leading to hilariously huge and unstable HREs in EU4. I known the converter sucks but I wonder how hilarious it would be to conquer as much as Europe proper as possible as the normal HRE from say, 1066 or the 1200s or something and then convert it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

Hey its not that bad :(
I put my heart and soul into it. Heck, I still do.

I know a big part of it is because CK2 doesn't have as detailed of culture as EU4 but it breaks pretty horribly every time anyone uses it :shrug:

At least there's a converter at all though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if we're ever going to get noble republics in CK2. I guess it'd work similar to a merchant republic where the current ruler inherits the titular title and gets all those powers, but otherwise his regular vassals just keep on keeping on. Maybe it's just more trouble than it's worth, I dunno.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It might be fun to conquer it and hand the crown off to a talented relative/2nd son one day. Spread your dynasty far and wide. I wouldn't really bother holding it myself.

It's far more fun to keep yourself holding only one kingdom and one duchy, then hand as much as you possibly can off to dyansty members. If you have Tanistry on most of them because you started Celtic, it starts getting pretty funny when you randomly inherit owning like 8 duchies and then the next guy is just a lowly count who happened to be super old.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, if you want to keep your guy safe during battle then uh don't send him into battle.

Nobody knows anything about the prepared invasion rules? Oh well. Consoled myself a claim on Pannonia and took it over in a fake prepared invasion since the game is being a dick about it.

People like you are the problem with CK2.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a particular play style I'm trying to accomplish. Basically, I started at the Charlimeign period as a Nordic duke, created Norway and planted my dynasty all over the place in Scandinavia. Now I'm looking at England and trying to dump the Norenger monarchy onto some cousin or someone of my kin and hop onto one of my Christian dynasty members who I planted in Jorvik and conquer England as a Norse Christian duke. Is there a way todo this?

It's exceedingly difficult to swap dynasty 'branches' under non-elective government forms without just not having a direct heir, forcing a switch to a different branch.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

Hotfix 2.3.5 is coming which will disable console.

Epic joke about making the game shittier from the dev who constantly talks about map expansions and other dumb poo poo that makes the game run and play worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angela Christine posted:

Just what I was going to say, permanent allies are better than constantly rebelling vassals. Make your own Karling clusterfuck. If you have enough spare kinsmen give them all dutchies in the new land and give the king title to a kinsman who ideally won't ever have a claim on your primary title. Eventually this generates a vast pool of spare kinsmen who have no claims on your titles.

If you can revoke other religions without penalty revoke everything and replace every single count and barony with your own dudes. That way in the future you'll have more people of your own culture and religion to marry or recruit.

Best part about doing this, is that even if you lose all your titles somehow you'll just switch over to be some other landed dynasty member. It's like having extra lives.

• Locked thread