Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Even with vassal kings, there's some pretty annoying restrictions on who you can transfer vassals to and if you create a bunch of merchant republics like I do, you don't want to lose access to that sweet, sweet filthy lucre. Apparently just being adjacent ain't enough. Also for some damnable reason the fucken pope refuses to create crusades, even though I specifically got catholicism into top-dog position again on top of Lollardism but eh; whaevs.

Gonna try and go for another steppe-muslim; just wish the Bolgars weren't so bloody annoying and that you could get at least some cash; But at least I'll be able to have my vassals actually be of some drat use in war. Disabling being able to raise individual vassals is so loving tedious and dumb, ugghhh.

Merchant republics stay as your vassal if you use viceroy kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Please learn how to generate claims through marriage and intrigue.

Yeah fabricating claims is a last ditch kinda thing- marrying into a family and murdering the other heirs also works, as does inviting heirs to your land and pressing their claims if you're desperate

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's with people wanting to go steppe Muslim? You lose your invasion cb, and the tengri boost to cavalry that makes the unique steppe buildings even more awesome.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's interesting and difficult. It's a strange sort of fun to play as the duke of gently caress all. It's also neat to play Muslims entirely distant from the Muslim world.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm starting to get my head round other ways of gaining land other than using fabricate claims.

I have a vassal with a claim on Glamorgan so I should be able to gain it through him, right?

My issue usually is that I can't press a weak claim, I guess I really need to start looking for people with strong claims to marry into my dynasty?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Walton Simons posted:

I'm starting to get my head round other ways of gaining land other than using fabricate claims.

I have a vassal with a claim on Glamorgan so I should be able to gain it through him, right?

My issue usually is that I can't press a weak claim, I guess I really need to start looking for people with strong claims to marry into my dynasty?

Sometimes they'll even let their younger sons marry your daughters matrilineally. :getin:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

One more question, I'm full of them lately. I have a claim on Poland and I should be able to take them. Are there any pitfalls of going halfway across Europe to take some land? I should have enough cash to hire mercenaries if Norge start poo poo.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Walton Simons posted:

One more question, I'm full of them lately. I have a claim on Poland and I should be able to take them. Are there any pitfalls of going halfway across Europe to take some land? I should have enough cash to hire mercenaries if Norge start poo poo.

Well there is attrition and your troops starving from not having supplies but other than that I can't come up with anything. Both of those issues are solvable though.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Walton Simons posted:

You're gonna want to have military organization at 4 or you could probably outnumber them 3-1 and still get your face kicked in. Inland Slavic counties will have supply limits of like 900 men every winter. There's also "ran out of supplies" to deal with if you're talking about walking there. If there's 3 counties between you and Poland, you'll take attrition in the walk, but nothing serious. If there's 15, it might be ill-advised. That's why Odin created boats.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

Defending land that isn't contiguous might be more trouble than it's worth. Everytime your polish vassals revolt you'll have to march your troops across europe to defend your lands.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I'm ruling Eire so it's a ways. I'll scope out Poland's terrain and size up our armies and tech before I do anything. It's an inheritable claim and my King is only 26 so no mad rush. Slightly concerned about capital distance and culture penalties, too.

It turns out I can take Glamorgan for myself by pressing the claim of one of my vassals so I'll definitely do that first.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

I'm ruling Eire so it's a ways. I'll scope out Poland's terrain and size up our armies and tech before I do anything. It's an inheritable claim and my King is only 26 so no mad rush. Slightly concerned about capital distance and culture penalties, too.

It turns out I can take Glamorgan for myself by pressing the claim of one of my vassals so I'll definitely do that first.

I wonder if just relocating the capital and your demesne to Poland may be better, max holdings per province seem to be better, and it's a nice base of operations for holy warring any nearby heathens since you get an easy CB and attrition is not going to be as bad. Also may be easier to create an empire. Main downside may be any tribal holdings, having the HRE assholes next door, and hoping that the Hordes peter out before they get to your borders.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What determines whether I can prepared invasion someone? It seems really arbitrary. I can get the Asturias guy even though he doesn't have more than ten counties. I can't get pannonia for...reasons??? Does the prepared invasion not work against pagans?

Also norse are supposed to be able to take coastal territory but I can only take catholic counties. Stupid.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 5, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Walton Simons posted:

It might be fun to conquer it and hand the crown off to a talented relative/2nd son one day. Spread your dynasty far and wide. I wouldn't really bother holding it myself.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Vichan posted:

Which mod(s) would you guys recommend if I want to enrichen the 'vanilla' gameplay experience? I'm mostly looking for expanded pagan mechanics, a much more unstable Byzantine empire and more lethal combat.

I use declare friends and rivals, as well as realistic battles mod. That mod makes you very likely to capture or kill the leaders of a defeated army, as well as increasing the chance of death in battle all round. You're actually more likely to escape unscathed if you are craven, making it a good trade off instead of just getting brave every time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No, Craven is still terrible. You never ever want a trait that lowers your Martial and gives you a -10 opinion malus to all your vassals.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It might be fun to conquer it and hand the crown off to a talented relative/2nd son one day. Spread your dynasty far and wide. I wouldn't really bother holding it myself.

It's far more fun to keep yourself holding only one kingdom and one duchy, then hand as much as you possibly can off to dyansty members. If you have Tanistry on most of them because you started Celtic, it starts getting pretty funny when you randomly inherit owning like 8 duchies and then the next guy is just a lowly count who happened to be super old.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, if you want to keep your guy safe during battle then uh don't send him into battle.

Nobody knows anything about the prepared invasion rules? Oh well. Consoled myself a claim on Pannonia and took it over in a fake prepared invasion since the game is being a dick about it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, if you want to keep your guy safe during battle then uh don't send him into battle.

Nobody knows anything about the prepared invasion rules? Oh well. Consoled myself a claim on Pannonia and took it over in a fake prepared invasion since the game is being a dick about it.

The only thing I remember is that your domain size can only be x% of your target. Check out the ck2 wiki page on prepared invasions.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Volkerball posted:

The only thing I remember is that your domain size can only be x% of your target. Check out the ck2 wiki page on prepared invasions.

They both have to be between 10 and 40 holdings within a kingdom.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

You also have to have fewer than 40 holdings, and can only do a single prepared invasion per ruler.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SeaTard posted:

You also have to have fewer than 40 holdings, and can only do a single prepared invasion per ruler.

Right, I know, I fufilled both of those requirements. It's still a mystery!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Right, I know, I fufilled both of those requirements. It's still a mystery!

They have < 40 holdings within the de jure kingdom you're trying to invade?

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Darth Windu posted:

What determines whether I can prepared invasion someone? It seems really arbitrary. I can get the Asturias guy even though he doesn't have more than ten counties. I can't get pannonia for...reasons??? Does the prepared invasion not work against pagans?

Also norse are supposed to be able to take coastal territory but I can only take catholic counties. Stupid.

Darth Windu posted:

These two are not the same thing.

Holdings are all the baronies, cities and temples combined.

But either way, no I don't think it works on pagans, that's what your subjugation is for.

TheBlackRoija fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 5, 2015

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

TheBlackRoija posted:

These two are not the same thing.

Holdings are all the baronies, cities and temples combined. Pannonia almost certainly has more than 40 if they have most of their de jure lands.

OH drat I didn't know it counted all the little places. That sucks. Oh well! Sorry game!

I still don't know why I'm not allowed to coastal conquer anyone non-catholic. Maybe its because they're so much smaller than me?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

OH drat I didn't know it counted all the little places. That sucks. Oh well! Sorry game!

I still don't know why I'm not allowed to coastal conquer anyone non-catholic. Maybe its because they're so much smaller than me?

You're supposed to use subjugation against other pagans

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I use declare friends and rivals, as well as realistic battles mod. That mod makes you very likely to capture or kill the leaders of a defeated army, as well as increasing the chance of death in battle all round. You're actually more likely to escape unscathed if you are craven, making it a good trade off instead of just getting brave every time.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for!

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I'm trying to wrap my mind around a particular play style I'm trying to accomplish. Basically, I started at the Charlemagne period as a Nordic duke, created Norway and planted my dynasty all over the place in Scandinavia. Now I'm looking at England and trying to dump the Norenger monarchy onto some cousin or someone of my kin and hop onto one of my Christian dynasty members who I planted in Jorvik and conquer England as a Norse Christian duke. Is there a way to do this?

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 5, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

People like you are the problem with CK2.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I'm trying to wrap my mind around a particular play style I'm trying to accomplish. Basically, I started at the Charlimeign period as a Nordic duke, created Norway and planted my dynasty all over the place in Scandinavia. Now I'm looking at England and trying to dump the Norenger monarchy onto some cousin or someone of my kin and hop onto one of my Christian dynasty members who I planted in Jorvik and conquer England as a Norse Christian duke. Is there a way todo this?

It's exceedingly difficult to swap dynasty 'branches' under non-elective government forms without just not having a direct heir, forcing a switch to a different branch.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Darth Windu posted:

I've found that even if your guy isnt set to be a primary leader, he's still on the field getting stuck in often enough. IDK if he's leading one of the levies under the main leaders, it's certainly surprising when he dies when you thought he was chilling at home

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

People like you are the problem with CK2.

because he used the console?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

because he used the console?

I used the console to get myself into a war that I wound up losing wow I'm so terrible smh

I was able to prepared invasion Serbia for real though so it's all good. Countdown too the Byzantines come knocking

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I think the head of state is always present in some way on the field of battle, even in cases where it might not make a complete amount of sense (like capturing the Pope during a crusade).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Windu posted:

I used the console to get myself into a war that I wound up losing wow I'm so terrible smh

I was able to prepared invasion Serbia for real though so it's all good. Countdown too the Byzantines come knocking

literally the embodiment of everything wrong with Crusader Kings II

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
You guys, CK2 is dead to me now, someone used the console. Ruining the game for everybody.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pwnyXpress posted:

You guys, CK2 is dead to me now, someone used the console. Ruining the game for everybody.

The more people use the console the more the game will slow down

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Hotfix 2.3.5 is coming which will disable console.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bitter Mushroom posted:

I've found that even if your guy isnt set to be a primary leader, he's still on the field getting stuck in often enough. IDK if he's leading one of the levies under the main leaders, it's certainly surprising when he dies when you thought he was chilling at home

Yeah, it happens a lot. Is there any sure way of preventing your ruler from being in an army? The only way I know is by not raising my personal levies, which is not an option for most of the game.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Half of my army away in France, my King gets killed and his 13 year old foreign heir who nobody likes takes the throne with his mum as a regent :stare:

Somehow managed to take the county I wanted and get my men back before anyone started poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Groogy posted:

Hotfix 2.3.5 is coming which will disable console.

yeah paracocks listened to their fan base and game players for constructive criticsm. like that would ever even happen. :jerkbag:

• Locked thread