Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yureina posted:

Just grabbed some of the DLC's I didn't have yet since they are 75% off on Steam right now. Going to wait and see how Old Gods seems before I consider forking over my money. The idea of pillaging poo poo from the whole of Europe (or Westeros!) sounds incredibly enticing. They should have had that in the vanilla game.

Edit: Wait... according to the patch notes, pillaging is in the vanilla game now too. Kickass. It's time for me to burn poo poo!

Yes the looting system is implemented in vanilla, but for the few norse NPC's that you cannot play as because they are pagans. So you cannot ever raid until you have ToG, only have the AI raid you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can swear fealty as a king to an emperor. Is that new with The Old Gods?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vodos posted:

I'm still a bit confused about de jure drifting. Let's say I form the kingdom of Sweden and then I grab duchies in Denmark. If I don't create/grab the king title of Denmark, those duchies will start drifting into Sweden, is that correct? Once all duchies have been absorbed into the kingdom of Sweden, king of Denmark becomes a titular title?
Are there any advantages to being an Emperor with a single massive kingdom instead of having some vassal kings?
Can I get a kingdom to drift into my empire? I can't seem to get it to work as Scandinavia.

If you are emperor you can hold one (primary) kingdom without penalty. The de jure vassals of all your other kingdoms get -20 opinion for "desires kingdom of XXX". Your primary kingdom is the kingdom that contains your capital. So if you are emperor with a massive single kingdom you don't get these opinion penalties in your secondary kingdoms.

Being emperor with vassal kings can work, but it depends on your empire. In Hispania there is one kingdom with 2 de jure counties (Galicia), one kindom with 3 (Navarra), one with 4 (Castille), one with 5 (Leon), one with 10 (Portugal), one with 12 (Aragon) and one kingdom with 20 de jure counties (Andalusia). If you are Christian you cannot form Andalusia, so the you could hold Aragon, don't form Portugal and have the vassal kings in the smaller kingdoms, which are no bigger than the average duchies. You can treat these kings just as normal dukes.

In Scandinavia, where the kingdoms are about equally big, a vassal king can be a serious threat to you if he revolts, so you would be better of holding the kingdoms yourself or destroying the secondary kingdoms.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
From a meta perspective, The Old Gods is just perfect. Before TOG, when you start as an Irish count or something, long stretches of the early game consisted of waiting. Waiting for money to finally upgrade something/ assassinate someone/ hire mercenaries, with a bit of waiting for inheritances thrown in. Now you can raid the coasts of Europe, or at least the counties around you if you play other pagans. The early game as a ruler of a small realm is much more active and interesting. I wonder what Paradox could do to spice up the game for non-pagan rulers?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StashAugustine posted:

I'm running England as an elective monarchy, is there any real advantage to creating the five or so duchies that don't exist yet? Seems to me it would only mean more electors to worry about, but is there some advantage I'm missing?

Raising troops is easier with a few dukes replacing the many counts, and you get more prestige, but from a powergaming perspective you should not create these duchies. Elective monarchy with few electors is the best system in the game, increasing the number of electors is always risky.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Now, it used to be that you dropped your councillors in the capital in order to learn things there faster, right? Yeah, that no longer happens. The research options for your Steward, Marshal, and Religious Advisor (Chaplain, Seer, whatever) now are designed to increase the rate of technology spread. To properly utilize them, you place them in a province next to a high-tech province, to encourage the spread of those high technology levels into the new province (so, for example, if your capital is in Dublin and you learn a new level of Heavy Infantry, you might put your Marshal in Leinster to speed up the drift of your new Heavy Infantry level over to Leinster).

In one of the dev diaries they suggested using the advisors to promote 'corridors' of tech growth through your country, so that the tech levels can spread out from the corridors the way we're used to. A nice theory, but I don't know how practical it is in practice yet.

This is not always the best idea. If you play a technology backwater place like most Norse realms are, then the best course of action initially is to send your spymaster to an advanced county in the south, which should enable technology spread to your capital (often at quite high percentages, 10% chances are not uncommon). Then you drop your councilors in your capital to speed up tech growths, bringing these 10% chances per tech up to 15-20%, depending on the councilors stats. If your capital has no tech to speak of, you gain no advantages trying to spread non-existing techs to your neighboring counties.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gorelab posted:

Would there be any way to mod the game so that vassals can't do out of realm conquests? Having my vassals randomly go after things half the map away is getting kinda crazy, especially when they'll remain my vassal afterwards.

Absolute crown authority prevents your vassals from waging wars, so you don't need to mod anything to stop them from conquering.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

quiggy posted:

What do I need to do to get a Planned Invasion CB? I've been wanting one to try to expand further but I don't know how to do it.

As Dauntasa said, your realm needs to have fewer than 40 holdings, and you must have 1000 prestige (you get 1 prestige per 1 gold you raid, so this is easy).

It is mostly the target that is a problem with prepared invasions. Your goal in a prepared invasions is to take all holdings in a de jure kingdom from the ruler you are targeting. The number of holdings must still be 40 or less. Take Charles the Bold, king of West Francia at game start. You cannot target West Francia, since the king holds all lands of the de jure realm of West Francia, which are more than 40 holdings. On the other hand he has holdings in Frisia and Aquitaine, in both cases under 41, but over 8, so you can prepare an invasion on him and later decide if you want to conquer Frisia or Aquitaine.

The problem in preparing invasions can be that the target is either mostly or fully part of one de jure kingdom with more than 40 holdings and too few counties in other kingdoms to be a valid target, or a ruler can have just too few holdings/distributed among too many de jure kingdoms to fulfill the prepare invasion criteria.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dauntasa posted:

This can't be right. I launched a prepared invasion against East Francia when I had 37 holdings and after I won I had 70 something. It must be that you have to have under 40 and they also must have under 40, so if you have 39 and they have 39 then everything is still go.

To be clear: You must have fewer than 41 holdings in your realm, and the target must have fewer than 40 holdings in the de jure kingdom you wish to conquer/invade. Let's take the king of West Francia at game start again as an example, with you the petty king of Sviþjod (basically Sweden). You have 22 holdings, Charles the Bald has 115 holdings: 73 holdings in West Francia, 21 holdings in Frisia and 21 holdins in Aquitaine. So you can prepare the invasion and declare war for either Frisia or Aquitane, and if you are successful you vassalize or take all holdings of king Charles in Frisia/Aquitaine. But you cannot invade West Francia because he has 73 holdings there, so more than the 40 upper limit. You then have 22 + 21 holdings, so more than 40; this means there is no restriction on your holdings + target holdings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sanzuo posted:

Another thing that keeps happening and is kind of annoying is that members of my court (especially my spymasters) keep getting murdered. The message tells me who did it, but I'm unable to link to them and since the ability to search for specific people seems to have been patched out finding who did it and why is often impossible.

You are able to search for specific people? Use the character finder (rightmost symbol under the mini map [excluding zoom in/out]) and write the name in the empty box on top of it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pimpmust posted:

I've formed the Iberian Empire but nothing is integrating and half the kingdoms that were integrating into Andalusia started reseting and then stopped working entirely, this loving mechanic man :iiam:

About the kingdoms integrating into Andalusia: You now control the de jure empire of all the Spanish Kingdoms, so of course they stop being absorbed into Andalusia and reverting the counter to zero.

And there should not be any kingdom integrating into the Hispanic empire, because it seems like you don't have a single kingdom outside of Spain that you control every holding of. For Italy you miss Cagliari, for Burgundy you miss parts of the duchy of Upper Burgundy, for Aquitaine you miss Melgueil, for Sicily you miss Gaeta and Kroton, and for Lotharingia you miss Saintois. Note that you need to control all holdings, so merely having all counties is not enough, make sure to control all baronies in these counties as well.

As an emperor you mostly stop to assimilate duchies into kingdoms, although I believe there are special circumstances where you do assimilate duchies, but this is very rare.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shorter Than Some posted:

Is there a way to check other religions moral authority without tagging over to one of their characters?

There is. Under the mini-map is a line of "information finding" tools. The second from the left is "Ledger". Open it and push the "next" button until you are on page 4 "Religions". You will see the different Religions, their religious head (if they have one), the moral authority and the number of counties following the religion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So I keep getting distracted by all the possible viking starts and never play any game more than 100 years, but is there a message when you can no longer travel the rivers as a norse ruler? Is it dependent on tech, or buildings or time? And what if you play as a norse Rurikovich and just conquer all the territories including the rivers, can I still use them to sail from Sweden to Greece?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The decision to form the Varangian Guard at the new start date costs 300 gold.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Opinion tends to be split on the question of 'keeping titles in the family.'

See, on the one hand, if you give titles to all your kids, some of those kids are going to be pretenders (i.e. 2nd or 3rd in line for the throne) when your King dies and your new King inherits, and if they have titles, then they have land and they have armies and they can start a succession crisis. Giving titles to kinsmen - relatives who aren't part of the main line of inheritance - is often safer, but that's usually not an option in the early game.

Still, I find the benefits far outweigh the negatives. The positive opinion bonus for being in the same dynasty can be a lifesaver, and the accumulated prestige from having all those titles held by a dynasty adds up (in my current game, Ivar the Boneless' descendants are currently getting a birthday present of ~1500 Prestige the instant they're born, just by virtue of being part of my dynasty, and that's several points worth of Opinion bonus right there... and it's 1080 AD, imagine what it'll be like by game's end). In a game where the whole house of cards can collapse if you have an unpopular ruler, every bit of popularity you can squeeze out is a good thing.

Just don't get caught killing any of them, because the Kinslayer trait is a bitch.

But remember: In elective monarchy, non-dynasty vassals have a much higher opinion of you than your relatives, because the +20 elective monarchy bonus is replaces by a -5 penalty for people of your family. Also, where do you guys get good councilors? Giving lands to high-stat landless people is one of my main sources of competent councilors.

Although I admit that having a high prestige at birth is very valuable. But it is +1 opinion for every 100 prestige, with a cap of +20.

And at long last, it is just not realistic. Has there been any point where the European nobility filled most inheritable posts with their own kinsmen? Even the Hapsburg family got most of their lands through marriage.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rurik posted:

What's kind of strange is that the ability to raid remains even if the Norse faith is reformed. Seems like it makes it kind of overpowered in late game, but is that so? I'm in 960s yet.

And can pagans receive missionaries from Christians AND Muslims? In my Ivar game I've gotten only Catholic missionaries, which makes sense because I've hanged out around Britain and Scandinavia. It would be cool however if Muslims could convert the Polish, the Magyars and the Russians or other pagans too. (So far in my game all those peoples have yet remained pagan.)

I used a prepared invasion to take over Sicily and my two kingdoms (Norway and Sicily) were split among my two sons. I played the one who inherited Sicily and have since then sacrificed many Muslim Imams to the blot. So yes, Muslims can try to convert you too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hellsjudge posted:

I usually give something to my heirs so they can build prestige until my duke/king whatever dies and they come up, that way the land doesn't instantly erupt in rebellion. This way you can also take them to war so they can build up their martial stat or learn new traits. This is very useful in Crusades as well, so they can get the Crusader trait and get opinion bonuses.

Giving new land to kinsmen will keep them loyal to you though, and ensure that county's flow of gold into your coffers.

If you educate your heirs yourself and only take the good options to have an awesome ruler later on, then you should not give them titles because they tend to accumulate bad traits while ruling.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^ :argh::argh::argh:

CapnAndy posted:

I've never played CK2+. Here is what I know:

Pre 1.10
- Started as an Irish Duke
- Set inheritance to Primogeniture first thing I did
- Created Kingdom of Ireland
- Game had no problems with that being primogeniture

Post 1.10
- Created Kingdom of Wales
- Usurped Kingdom of France
- Created Kingdom of Brittany
- In every case, game immediately set Crown Authority to minimum and wants HCA for primogeniture
- If I go back and look at Ireland's laws, it says Medium Crown Authority is all you need for primogeniture
- Wales, France, and Brittany seem to feel differently about this

Is that correct behavior or am I bugged

Primogeniture has always required high crown authority in vanilla CK2. The only exceptions is if your de jure title does not exist, then you are not bound by any crown laws. Since the Kingdom of Ireland doesn't exist at game start, you could play a ruler on tutorial island, create a duchy, change succession to primogeniture and then create the Kingdom of Ireland, which would retain primogeniture succession from your duchy.

And I checked in-game, and it clearly states you need high or absolute crown authority to change to primogeniture if you play as the Irish king. Although you only need high crown authority to change to primogeniture, after that you can lower it to autonomous and still retain primogeniture.

Edit: Beaten, but I do like this change. It is less gamy than the other system. And people just need to either live with gavelkind (it is not so bad if you plan carefully, or just weather the 2 succession crises it takes until you get high crown authority), or embrace elective monarchy for two rulers, it is not that bad.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 4, 2013

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Absolutely, especially if you like to start in small realms. The become king ambition gives you an unlimited use of the new pagan subjugation CB inside the de jure kingdom of your capital (if you play pagans). And if you play a Norse character you can go Viking raiding in Europe, which gives good amounts of money and prestige and makes the early game much more interactive. And the new technology system alone would be worth to get the expansion, if it didn't came with the patch for free instead. Playing around with the different faiths is also amusing, as is trying to reform them. I think the Old Gods is the best expansion for CK2 yet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Welp, I just loaded my save up and can't declare any wars because it thinks I have levies raised. Tried dismissing fleets too, as well as mercs and retinues, tried loading an earlier autosave and doing the same and nothing works. That was thirty hours well spent on a now broken game, guess I'm waiting till ck2+ or GoT updates.

What is the connection between your problems and CK2+ or GoT? Seems such a bug would make your CK2+ or GoT games unplayable too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrNutt posted:

That's good to know. So is there a better place to start in Ireland than Dublin? Earl Murchad is a dumbass with dumbass children and a dumbass chancellor (6.01% chance per year to forge a claim :hurr: ).

Grab The Old Gods while it is fresh and unbalanced. Playing Norse characters is much more engaging, if you are not doing anything else you can always go Viking and raid some European coast. This gives you money and prestige, so it is just awesome. Also you won't have any problems with getting CB's because as someone already posted in the thread:

Daeren posted:

Vikings, meanwhile, can point to any border or coast province and go "DIBS :black101:" and just take the loving things whenever they want. They can also subjugate entire pagan kingdoms at once every decade or so. Viking early game is way more engaging because you don't have to sit around praying for the right claim to be grabbed so you can finally start pushing de jure claims.

You can then play the count of Dublin, scion of the Yngling dynasty (those are the kings of Norway for most of the games time period, and your cousin will probably form said kingdom before 30 years are over). Raid people to get money, use the conquest CB to grab Ireland and when you are strong enough you can overthrow your liege, who may be king of Scotland.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The nice thing about playing the Byzantines is knowing this: For all the trouble the Abbasids/Fatimids/Seljuk are giving you, you know that in time the game will throw the biggest "gently caress you" at them and you can watch them being slaughtered by the Mongols.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It shows why pagan religions are overpowered, NERF their troops! Or assassinate their druids.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Necroneocon posted:

I am 35 pages behind this thread but after 20 pages of goon sperginess about "pretty borders" I was hoping that Wiz hasn't done his last CK2 plus because I want him to add something that makes every county a random color because pretty border colors are the dumbest thing to complain or freak out about. It's not ADD, it's just really dumb and the gooniest thing possible.

So please Wiz, can you do that if you haven't made the last CK2 plus, thank you I will love you forever. That or make all county colors black. :sparkles:

I don't get it. Why would you play CK2 if not for the pretty borders? :confused:

I just had a nice experience with gavelkind (unpatched because Gamersgate). As the petty king of most of Norway I started a prepared invasion of Sicily, and took it from the Byzantines. Then I formed the Kingdoms of Norway and Sicily, and a bit later my king died and left his lands to his two sons. I had changed my primary title to be the king of Sicily, and my first son inherited the kingdom of Sicily, the duchy of Sicily and all six counties in the duchy, including Palermo, which I had made my capital earlier. My younger son inherited the kingdom of Norway, duchy of Ostlandet and the three counties in it. Both realms were split up in the most logical way, with all my holdings and vassals in Norway going to my younger son and all my holdings in Sicily going to my eldest. So it can work like you would expect it to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ha, no matter what Wiz says but reforming paganism is not a straight upgrade in vanilla CK2, unreformed pagans never have a "levies raised too long" opinion penalty.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BillBear posted:

They do, its just not as heavy.

I have never seen my Norse vassals complain about levies being raised. And I fought some pretty long wars. Are you sure it is not your catholic vassals being unhappy?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KPC_Mammon posted:

Wouldn't an AI army with more moral be easier to kill to the last man? My retinue of 15k elite housecarls chase the Francia Emperor's armies all over Europe, if they'd stand and fight I'd have a much easier time.

The harder difficulties sound easier.

On that note, the +60% offensive power on housecarls has prevented me from picking up any other retinues. Do most people stack up on their unique retinues or use a mix of troops? I've found all heavy infantry all the time wins fights, especially with an emperor who specializes in heavy infantry, but has trouble eliminating doom stacks. I'll just chase them around the map picking up a few war score points at a time.

Who gets improved horse archers or heavy cavalry? Does having the large, elite retinues of cavalry make up for weaker levies?

I'm assuming unique heavy infantry is better for levies than other unique units, due to how many you can raise at castles. Unique pikemen seem like they'd be terrible for this reason. Is this not the case? Do other cultures get more pikemen or archers than heavy infantry?

What determines which unique units you have access to? Is it possible to double up on unique units?

Sooo many questions but I will try answering them:

Higher morale is normally not as good when killing them. You can inflict huge losses on fleeing armies without taking any casualties yourself. Of course if you have a big advantage in the melee phase it may take you less battles to destroy their army but you would probably lose more men yourself.

Yes I do often use my unique retinue. The bonus is very strong for certain cultures. The housecarl retinue is strong with +60% defense, while the Irish retinue is also a heavy infantry unit, but with +defense, which is far less useful. Pikemen (Scots/Dutch/Italians) can be useful if you fight against cavalry heavy armies (i.e. Mongols), but they are generally weaker than heavy infantry retinues. The English/Welsh archer retinue can be quite strong as well, especially if you fight much smaller armies then your own. If you have a archer heavy army with a skilled commander he can use a tactic that gives +400% archer attack, combine that with high attack ratings in the skirmish phase and you can cripple your enemy even before reaching the melee phase. The downside is that you are basically hosed if the enemy survives with a good number of units and can hack your archers down in close combat. Note that archers have a much higher siege rating than heavy infantry, using archer heavy retinue to siege castles and your normal troops to defeat armies can be quite worthwhile.

But the best retinues are the Frankish/German heavy cavalry retinue, the Byzantine Cataphract retinue (heavy cavalry mixed with horse archers) and the Mongol horse archer retinue. There is no reason to use any other retinue than your unique one if you play as them, except if you rule a really huge empire to create archer retinues for sieging castles. Heavy cavalry and horse archers will murder absolutely everything.

Unique retinues are determined by your culture, so you cannot double up.

Edit: Beaten and redacted incorrect information.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm tempted to take a Frankish or Basque concubine to raise my next heir, just to get access to better cavalry.

A Frankish heir would have an easier time conquering Europe without peasant revolts, right?

Basque culture gives you the lovely light cavalry retinue, so that won't help too much.

And why would the Franks have an easier time with peasant revolts? I don't see the connection.

Also I would not change culture lightly. This can easily lead to your vassals hating you. And you lose every investment in culture-dependent buildings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

marktheando posted:

Seems like CK2+ has it so that you can't loot without sieging. Every province has 100% of its cash protected by fortifications. Is this a bug (I did change it so reformed Norse could still raid, but I'm currently unreformed) or a deliberate decision? I prefer the way it works in vanilla, where you can loot a little bit without sieging anything. Is there some kind of middle ground where you don't get the insane amounts of cash you get in vanilla, but can still do fast hit and run raids?

I enjoyed lightly raiding the byzantines and then running back on my boats before their armies could get to me. This is now impossible in CK2+, you need to have a protracted siege to get any money so raiding anyone you don't outnumber is out of the question (unless their doomstacks are being used in a war).

Wow, that would suck. I usually travel around and loot only the unprotected parts of province wealth, deliberately using small armies that cannot siege castles. I kind of roleplay it, because I don't think the real vikings were in the habit to siege down all castles when they looted the countryside. Also pretty sure that it must be a bug, how would you get any raiding done as a one province count?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThePutty posted:

It still has a few bugs:

Uhm I don't see it? The papacy was always a titular title, it was always open elective, and the Pope is Catholic.

Oh, the flag icon! Yes that is rather unfortunate.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

See, my thinking is that everyone else is thinking "poo poo, how am I going to amass a suitable powerbase to win independence/lower crown authority/become King myself if this poo poo keeps happening?" and thus the opinion malus makes perfect sense.

Remember, CK2 vassals are all greedy assholes, just like you.

It is also a serious breach of the feudal contract. Remember, executing a noble is not as bad as revoking his title(s), because those remain in the families hands. The same with revoking vassals.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Caufman posted:

It's like this in Vanilla.

No, you could get tanistry as an Irish ruler or ultimogeniture as a Mongol.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, they sort of won the war for Scotland and I have 9,000 men left out of my 100k while they have multiple untouched 20k doomstacks. I'm gonna reload and have armies waiting for them so I don't take that fuckoff no morale penalty and see how it goes, but they seem to have armies on infinite-spawn and if there's no AI between them and me to make them "settle down" or whatever and start playing by the rules...

I can only give you hints about the start of the war. Biggest question: How could the Aztecs kill your levies one by one? You play an island nation, as soon as you raise your levies you immediately let them board your ships and then you can gather them in one place.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zeroisanumber posted:

I had an organization question. I've started a game as the Byzantines, and I'm immediately given the option to create several kingdoms. If I do that, a number of them immediately become title loss on succession and almost all of them start with minimal crown authority. I haven't played the Byzantines before, is the idea to create the kingdoms and then immediately pass them off to a vassal to let them deal with the problem? Or do I just suck at CKII and there's something easy that I'm missing?

As the Byzantines it is almost never a good idea to create extra kingdoms. You have the "born in the purple" mechanic, meaning the first son born while you were emperor will inherit before your children born before you were emperor. But this is only for the empire title, it is easy to loose individual kingdoms over that. Also as somebody else said the Byzantine Emperor can revoke duchies for free. That is REALLY powerful. When some rear end in a top hat duke joins or leads a faction against you, revoke his duchy and give it to one of his former count vassals. The new duke will love you for getting a duchy from you while the former duke is now only a count, which reduces his power, and he is no longer your direct vassal, which means he can no longer join factions against you. If he refuses even better, beat him in war and chop off his balls. Also this makes managing mega-dukes much easier, since you can just revoke any extra duchies they have.

If you form the kingdoms and give them away you now no longer have direct control over the dukes, meaning no check against mega-dukes, and you have a potentially powerfulvassal who has a real chance to beat you in war. Kingdom revocations are not free.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AfroSquirrel posted:

Not Muslim, but my first wife was a 'safe' nobody and I want her kids out of the way so my second wife's (Queen Skuld I of Scotland's) kids can inherit two kingdoms.

^Ah, okay. So I have two sons and three daughters ahead of the lucky lotto winner baby girl. If I take out the two sons with diplosassins and ship off the unlucky daughters in normal marriages, then the target daughter will inherit once she is married matrilinealy, right?

Wrong. It doesn't matter if a girl is married normally or not, your oldest daughter will inherit (except if you run ultimogeniture or elective/tanistry of course). You need to eliminate your daughters from your first marriage as well, or hope for a son from your second wife.

SkySteak posted:

How many King Titles can you have at once, as an Emperor before you run into penalties?

Basically none. The vassals of each kingdom will get a -20 wants kingdom title diplo hit. I can't recall if this is also true for your "primary" kingdom (where your capital is located), but this definitely applies for every other kingdom. You get no penalty for having too many kingdom titles, it will always be the -20 in the individual kingdoms you hold personally.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Something I was told recently, if you let others educate your heir you should never choose a zealous tutor, since those will almost always choose the piety option in education events. The piety option is the one where there is a 80% chance of nothing happening and the tutor gets piety, so it is one of the worst traits a tutor could have. You want your tutors to be diligent, and if you want to culture change the tutor should also be gregarious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Trujillo posted:

I think the King of Azerbaijan and the Jarl of Jylland decided to trade places and see if anyone would notice:

This is hilarious. CK2 genetics!

And what is up with Ostlandet? They have not yet formed Norway AND they hold this big part of Germany? Are the Karlings that incompetent in your game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrSunshine posted:

Aaaagh. Through some perverse feat of marriage, the Kingdom of the Westerreich merged with the Kingdom of the Barrier. Now the Faith of Sonendis rules two of the largest swathes of Central Sonendar. I gave that faith the decision to turn every single religion into a heresy of Sonendis if they manage to control all the territory surrounding Lake Sonendar.

Also the Kingdom of Bregnac has almost totally absorbed Everdell and Manxwall to the southwest! And in the east, the Zhao Dynasty is well on its way to reunifying the Yuan Empire!! And I just noticed that the Kingdom of Daxos is being picked apart by Ghanipur and The Westerreich/Barrier in the Northeast.

Shiiiit! :suicide:

If you want to get in on this madness, download...

Sonendar v.1.04.2

EDIT: In the latest version I've altered the Pirate Raid CB a bit to make it even more devastating. In the last raid, I got my rear end kicked by Dagny Mancrusher of the Lost Isles, a descendant of Janessa, and she levied a toll of 842 gold ducats on me. I only had 280 in the bank.

This is one of my favorite mods but between the various vanilla games and the Elder Kings mod I hardly have time for Sonedar :saddowns:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

This is what happens to regents that steal from my treasury! :black101:

Also nice how your character has no care in the world for his castle burning. Your regent is probably overlooking the damage the Vikings did to your holding when you throw over the balcony. The raid also explains why the corridors are empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Belasarius posted:

The problem with buildings is that you only ever want to buy them early so you get a return on your investment, but gold is so scarce early on it seems like you are always better off using it to make titles or buying mercenaries to conquer more lands. If I'm a merchant I rush my family holdings though of course, several of those are awesome.

I think many people are a bit off when trying to determine if a building gives you a return on investment. Just look at the following factors:

Technology: The construction technology reduces build time and build costs! The infrastructure techs increase the money you get from each building. This could combine at the highest level to a 25% reduction in construction costs and 50% increase in revenue.

Stewardship bonus: My current ruler, the starting Byzantine Emperor (TOG start) has 13 stewardship, his wife has 3 stewardship and my steward has 19 stewardship. If I go to the titles screen and hover over demesne in the income category I see that I have a 52% stewardship bonus to all my income.

Councilors: Your steward can increase the money you get from one building very substantially.

So let's make a test case. My Byzantine Empire game: I have construction 1.7 and castle infrastructure 2.0 in Constantinople. This means -5.3% build costs and +12.5% castle income. I can build a Castle Town 3 in the barony of Blachernae for 300 - 5.3% = 290.8 gold. It will give me 2 + 12.5% + 52% = 3.29 gold per month year. 290.8/3.29 = 88.4 [s]months[s] years until the building paid for itself. My steward is researching technology so no boost from him.

So my initial calculations were a bit off but this is still a fantastic deal. My current year is 885, in 974 the building will start to generate profits, and with increasing technology for nearly 500 years I will get a ton of money. If I wait 300 years until 1185 the building will be much cheaper and generate more gold (because of rising technology levels) and it will still be very worth it. Economy buildings lose their attractiveness in the last 100 years of the game but this time period accounts for maybe 1/5th of the game. You will want to build buildings long into the game, I don't understand why people are so down on them.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 21, 2013

• Locked thread