Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Others have already mentioned Flor de Can~a, which is my go-to rum. All of them are not only delicious but delicious for the price-point. That said, lately I've been getting into Wray and Nephew Jamaican Overproof rum. Given the high alcohol, it is a different drinking experience than other liquors but it is quite pleasant. A nice clean grassy taste, a cleansing blast of alcohol and a light sweet finish.

If you want a "different" experience with your white rum drinking and/or don't have any mixers handy, give it a shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

DjErichB posted:

Is there a good way to use Wray and Nephew Overproof? I've had a lot of medium to good rums (Zacapa 23, Zaya 12, Flor de Cana 7 and 4, Appleton estate white and VX, Pussers, Barbancourt, etc), but i just cant get over the FUNK of the overproof. It manages to overpower the flavor of anything i've ever mixed it with, and not in a good way. Is there a way to tame that rum?

Overproof rum is supposed to be drank straight. It is actually quite nice. I agree it doesn't play well with others, so just drink it how it is supposed to be. It is very bright and refreshing and it makes a fantastic digestive.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kenning posted:

There's certainly a lot more action in the spirits game lately. Hell, I was in this loving dive in Oakland tonight and they had Denizen on their shelf. It was next to a lot of bullshit, but Denizen! That is a fantastic rum.

Which dive was this? If you don't mind sharing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Drinkin' some mojitos with bacardi silver. Judge me all you want, poo poo's good. If I could get Flor de can~a or some cubano rum from the place next to my house I would. But I can't. I can, however, get some bangin' mint.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

rxcowboy posted:

Time to go lowbrow: Whats a good rum when you just want a simple mixed drink like a rum and coke, or ginger ale, fruit juice, etc?

Flor de Can~a has come up in this thread multiple times for a good reason. The silver is good for when you want a nice white rum. It isn't an agricola but straight it has a nice light flavor that I associate with agricola rums coupled with a wonderful, just wonderful, citrus finish. Mixes super well. The 4 year rum is wonderful for rum and cokes. It is a dirt cheap rum but you can make rum and cokes the "real" way where it is almost all rum with a dash of coke for "color" and a lime wedge. You will really love what you are sipping. Or you can have the drink be 75% or even 50% rum and really drink it down. Mix it with anything and everything.

The silver is always good but the 4 year may be a little too "vulgar" for certain crowds. I don't think that is you and yours but the 8 year old isn't that much more expensive and is much better. Look at them both and do a quick cost/benefit analysis based on your budget. Personally, I'd go with the 4 year old version if you are just doing rum and cokes or whatever but if you want to start thinking about "cocktail culture" the 8 year can carry a cocktail the way a bourbon can. Just go lighter on the simple syrup/cherries/whatever because the inherent sweetness of the rum will carry you. If being able to hit that demographic appeals to you, go with the 8.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I had the 12 year old and I didn't love it. Which was too bad, I had high hopes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When I was living in the barrio, Dominican rums were cheap and usually quite nice. Since I moved to a non-Dominican neighborhood, I can't comment on how their prices work outside of that area but check them out. Mamajuanas are nice and sweet, so dangerously mixable (because you don't want much mixer). That would probably be a good place to start and branch out from there.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, rum Greyhounds. Mix your rum with some fresh squeeze grapefruit juice. More of a white rum kinda drink, but FdC 4 works great too. Grapefruit used to be called the "Forbidden Fruit" because it was so awesome, they assumed that is what Adam and Eve went all ga-ga for. gently caress apples, man. This is the poo poo!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
BevMo has some great rums on sale right now, or at least they did recently. A nice 8 year old rum for $12? I thought it was too good to be true but, eh, I'm a drunk and could afford the experiment. Wow, really great stuff.

Also, Trader Joe's has some super cheap rums. The white is basically rocketfuel but if you'll take a 5%abv hit, the spiced rum isn't bad for $3.99. Sure, you gotta mix that poo poo but it works fine with coke or banana juice -- presumably other things as well.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Thanks for the tip! I'll check that out.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, favorite Smith + Cross cocktail: go!

I'm normally a Fdc~n partisan but I'm ready to have my mind blown.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anyone have any more information on dunder? I've got a scientific background and brew. I also know some people who moonshine. But this is the first I've heard of dunder in the stilling process. It makes total sense and sounds like the sort of neat product that adds that little bit of alchemy to a scientific process.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's definitely a mixed fermentation of some sort. He mentions using a lot of overripe bananas for his dunder while other people will use all kinds of crazy stuff like bats. Bananas make sense as a great source for sugars and esters to keep both the culture happy and kickstart all those good flavors. Just curious to see what more there is to it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anyone in the trade (or with access to booze related journals -- I'm looking for ic davis or siebel people gère) gavé any papiers on this?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you are gonna rock high proof rum, you've gotta go with Stroh "80". 80% alcohol baby! Wray & Nephew is 63% booze and ain't shabby. But Stroh baby, gotta love them Austrians.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Run to Brandy. That is still super cheap. A regular go-to drink for both drinking and cooking is E&J XO. It is ~$9-$12 depending where I can pick it up in the Bay Area and is deliciously oaky. Sure, that oakiness is hiding some cheap higher alcohols but, hey, a good drink for under $15 is a steal! French brandies are also undervalued. Trader Joe's has a good one for under $15 and if you look you can find world class ones for $20-30. It's a good way to save on cash while deliciously destroying brain cells.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Just drink prussers and think of England.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anyone have a solid mamajuana recipe, ideally one that focuses on ingredients at least semi-available in the US? The last part isn't essentail since I can hit up a botanica but I'd rather dodge that scene if possible.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

mfcrocker posted:

There's a reason it was introduced to me as being akin to being touched up by your dirty Uncle Ray. Terrible stuff neat :gonk:

Really? I think W&N is terrible mixed in just about anything but it is a great drink straight up. Clean and strong with nice fruit esters.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

bunnyofdoom posted:

As a Canadian yeah. It's decent.

So I ran out of red vermouth. Give me a good use for a 2/3 full bottle of aperol

Not Rum, but I love aperol spritzers. Put some ice in a glass, fill it 90-95% of the way with aperol, top off with bubbly of your choice (that dry prosecco you have left over from brunch is a good call) and throw in a lemon or orange peel.

It's a wonderfully easy drink in the afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a good entry into the world of rhum agricole?

It's a little pricier but St George Rhum has a wonderful olive flavor. It's almost like drinking a dirty martini.

• Locked thread