Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The first rum I had that truly opened my eyes to sipping rum was Angostura 1919. It can usually be had fairly inexpensively and it's a really fantastic sipper.

Smith and Cross is awesome, but I don't think I could sip it (is it even made for that?). Great mixer though, as it's strong enough to shine through mixers and doesn't get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

swimming anime posted:

Yes, you can sip it. Once you get deep into spirits, stuff at 80 proof starts to taste watered down. Whether it's whiskey, rum, or whatever else, the higher the proof, the better. Maybe 151 is a little too hot but Smith and cross neat tastes real good at the end of a shift.

It's not the high proof that puts me off. I just feel like there's just so much going on and so aggressive that I wouldn't classify it as 'a sipper'. If you're happy sipping it, then by all means, enjoy away, but for someone who's just starting to explore rum and is looking for something to sip, it's probably not the best path to go down.

I haven't sat and sipped S&C in little while though, so I might give it another shot after work today :).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
A shop near me is selling a 'Santiago De Cuba Carta Blanca' rum. Anyone tried it? Any good?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a bottle of Myer's Dark in my cabinet. It's rubbish, what can I do with it to make it palatable?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a ton of really nice fresh ginger, so making ginger beer is a fantastic idea. Rum cake also sounds great. Thanks, guys!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sean10mm posted:

I'm very rum-ignorant and am looking for a dark rum that isn't strongly woody/smoky/charred tasting and isn't crazy expensive.

Where do you live? Angostura 1919 is my go to for this recommendation. It's £20 in the UK but I've only seen it for $50 or so in the US.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I needed a solid white rum and being put off by the Flor de Cana nonsense, opted for Cruzan Aged Rum. How did I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh man, please tell me it's not Old Monk. That stuff is vile :(

• Locked thread