Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Just Another Lurker posted:

Can anyone reccomened rums that are available in the UK though i'm in northern ireland so my possible selection might be more restricted than the mainland..... and no i'm not going near Bushmills with a barge pole. :colbert:

I tried rum for the first time a couple of years ago (stuck to Morgans until recently) and am currently devouring a bottle of Lamb's (very nice indeed) with Sailor Jerry next on the hit list.

And are any of the spiced rums worth trying?

People seem to have a love/hate thing going for Kraken. I like it with ginger beer and lime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I know one of you has mentioned a place called Pirates Cove a lot which is San Francisco based.

I'm assuming you're thinking of Smuggler's Cove, the BEST tiki bar in existence. Can't really buy bottles of rum there, but you can certainly drink bottles of rum.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

3 drops of bitters is like nothing. If you need to measure, use something like 1/4 tsp at least.

Yeah I recently learned that a dash is ~1 mL so I guess you can use that if you are metric.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

For those in the Bay Area, K&L is having an awesome rum event at Bar Agricole. Will feature Ed Hamilton's replacement for Lemon Hart 151 and other amazing stuff. I have a vague recollection of Kenning being nearby, if so, this seems right up his alley. $50 for food/tastings/cocktails.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1193254

quote:

First, RUM!

three single casks of rum on the coming container next week, two from Guyana and a Jamaican one, but there’s plenty of new rum already in stock that must be considered!

Here is the second cask of our wildly popular FAULTLINE St Lucia Rum and it’s even better than last year. Cleaner, showing less burning tire and salty tears than last year, it is by no means lacking in character, but shows more balance. A massive rum caught in the tension between hogo, ester, spice, and fruit. A powerful yet elegant example of why pot-stilled rum can scratch that itch like no other spirit on earth. Grab it, sip it, or mix with it. Life is good.

Faultline St. Lucia Rum 750ml $39.99

A few years ago I had the pleasure of tasting an odd rum from St. Lucia as part of the Berry Bros & Rudd privately-bottled collection. I was instantly smitten. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before: fruit tea, menthol, root beer, molasses, and earthy pot still goodness all brimming from the bottle in waves. I brought it to a tasting group with friends and they all freaked out too. There was only one problem with that bottle: it was $110. I went on a mission to find a younger, less-expensive version of that rum to share with K&L customers, but, alas, I always came up empty. I emailed the distillery to see if they would sell us a barrel directly, but I never got a response from this mysterious producer. It wasn't until earlier this year that an importer randomly approached me about the possibility of selecting a single barrel of St. Lucian rum for K&L. I about fell over! YES! OF COURSE! We went through samples, found a barrel that worked, and got our amazing label designer into the studio. Now, for all you Tiki lovers out there, we've got that rum I've been longing to give you at a price you can afford: big sarsaparilla and root beer aromas, spiced tea, brandied fruit, and an earthy molasses note on the finish. It's a true representation of fresh molasses. This is easily sippable, but so Mai Tai friendly that you'll have a tough time making anything else. Ginger beer, rum Manhattans, anything. It's mind-blowing rum and it's finally ours!

Hampden Distillery Rum Fire Jamaican White Overproof Rum 750ml $21.99

This is the high ester white from the famous Hampden Distillery in Jamaica. The Jamaicans love their esters. Using a long dunder fermentations to create one of the world’s most outrageous products, Rum fire is high proof and high potency. At 63% you’d expect the name to be a reference to the high proof, but actually this stuff is pretty soft on the burn, showing great sweetness and balance at the high proof. Instead, the real fire is those drat esters. This stuff can make you cry from across the room. It’s 100% olfactory overload. If you think the J.Wray White is just a little too tame for your tastes, grab a bottle of this and get wild.

Hamilton 151 Overproof Demarara Rum 750ml $32.99 & Hamilton Demarara Rum 750ml $24.99

The long awaited Lemon Hart killers from rum impresario Ed Hamilton are finally here. He made a point of letting us know that these aren’t designed to be a replacement for the storied brand, but are in fact BETTER! Well of course he likes them, but so do we. Sourced from one of the big Dutch rum companies, he’s figured out the perfect blend of pot and column still to highlight the incredible quality of these southern Caribbean rums. Neither have been sweetened and both are showing incredible depth. These are the new standards for any Tiki geek, but should be considered for anyone looking to build a bar.

If you want to taste some of Ed’s fabulous offerings plus our exclusives, join us in the City to greet the official Minister of Rum at Bar Agricole on February 24th. This event is going to be off the hizzy bizzy, so get out and taste some of the world’s best rums with the world’s foremost rum expert. On Tuesday, February 24th, we'll be teaming back up with San Francisco's Bar Agricole for another mega patio party. This time, rather than brandy, we'll be focusing on the house specialty: RUM! And we won't be alone! Legendary rum figurehead Ed Hamilton will be on hand (lord of the Ministry of Rum) to pour some of his latest private-label selections. We'll have a few upcoming K&L exclusive specialties on hand as well. It's going to be off the chain! Not only will you get to taste a lot of different rums from a lot of different places, Thad and Eric will be there behind the bar, mixing up endless rum cocktail delights. And don't forget the food! There will be food to nourish all that rum in your belly. What more do you need? We'll be operating from 6 to 9 PM, and tickets are $50. No paper tickets, as we'll just add your name to the guest list. Reserve your spot by clicking on the link below. See you there!

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Oh they're doing tastings of 20 year Uitvlugt Demerara and 25 year Enmore Demerara at that rum thing tomorrow if you need more convincing. Goddamn that's going to be good. Anyways, if anybody is going, send me a PM, it'd be cool to meet.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Vox Nihili posted:

Let's say I like bourbon. What's a decent, aged rum to pick up and try?

El Dorado 12 would be my suggestion.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Shbobdb posted:

It's a little pricier but St George Rhum has a wonderful olive flavor. It's almost like drinking a dirty martini.

That'd be like telling someone to have Smith + Cross as their first Jamaican rum. That's real high octane stuff. I'd start with something a little more friendly (and aged) like Rhum Clement VSOP, Neisson Eleve Sous Bois, or JM Vieux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Solumin posted:

Mountain View, CA, about a half mile from Castro Street.

Go to K&L.

• Locked thread