Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
After trying various rums over the years, I realized I like white rums the most. At least for home mixing. Similar to how I always go for Blanco Tequila. That weird?

I brought some of this stuff back from France, good stuff.
http://www.rhum-hse.com/en/rhum/cuvee-titouan-lamazou/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nice. Try Neisson if you can find it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Terminus posted:

I'd recommend Rhum Barbancourt 8-year. Tasty and it's very affordable, around 20 USD.

I love me some Barbancourt, it's among my favorites, but I feel like it doesn't quite hit the agricole notes that most people are talking about when they're talking about agricole. To get that real grassy twang I think you need to get into some Martinique stuff, which is unfortunately fairly pricey. This market has expanded dramatically in the last few years and I haven't really been on the ball following it, but I do know that everything from Rhum JM is fantastic, and worth the outlay if you're really interested in getting into some cane squeezins.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

...just had a cryptic clue (just the wordplay, no definition)

Before Jamaican rum, you'll find it on the floor.

MATRON

Yeah this was my learning that yes, rum is actually ron in spanish speaking places.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Posting this from r/cocktails:
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/2016...ucts-for-export

I've never bought Angostura Rum before, I guess I wouldn't now. The Bitters, however, it wouldn't bother me where the rum base came from.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I had a bottle of theirs once. I found it deeply underwhelming for its price point, especially compared to e.g. Zacapa 21 (or even Flor de Cana 7...). Now I can feel smugly vindicated about that!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm very rum-ignorant and am looking for a dark rum that isn't strongly woody/smoky/charred tasting and isn't crazy expensive.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sean10mm posted:

I'm very rum-ignorant and am looking for a dark rum that isn't strongly woody/smoky/charred tasting and isn't crazy expensive.

I don't know if it's the right tool for the job you have in mind, but I've been enjoying the Smith & Cross I got a few days ago. It's a blend of two distillations, one aged less than a year, and the other between 18 months and three years. Plenty of flavor, and most of it not from barrels. Cost me $27, I think.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Toast Museum posted:

I don't know if it's the right tool for the job you have in mind, but I've been enjoying the Smith & Cross I got a few days ago. It's a blend of two distillations, one aged less than a year, and the other between 18 months and three years. Plenty of flavor, and most of it not from barrels. Cost me $27, I think.
Smoth & Cross is a terrible choice for someone new to rum looking for a non-aggressive flavor. Great stuff, but not for your first bottle.

sean10mm posted:

Zaya 12 is a safe bet, though some people think it's too one-note. Worst-case scenario, it makes absolutely killer hot buttered rum, and in my experience it's just the thing to start with.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ralith posted:

Smoth & Cross is a terrible choice for someone new to rum looking for a non-aggressive flavor. Great stuff, but not for your first bottle.

Oh, yeah, no. Probably not a good first rum (not that I have a ton of experience myself). I just read it as "help me find something that doesn't taste like a barrel."

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

sean10mm posted:

Where do you live? Angostura 1919 is my go to for this recommendation. It's £20 in the UK but I've only seen it for $50 or so in the US.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

angor posted:

Where do you live? Angostura 1919 is my go to for this recommendation. It's £20 in the UK but I've only seen it for $50 or so in the US.

Isn't that the one that recently was shown to be "eh we'll just bottle any ol rum and pretend it's cool"?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Isn't that the one that recently was shown to be "eh we'll just bottle any ol rum and pretend it's cool"?

On this very page even...

Unfortunately Rum in general is not nearly has "honest" a product as say single malt scotch whisky or bourbon. There's a lot more wiggle room for producers, and there isn't really a central authority dictating what can an cannot be called rum.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sean10mm posted:

I would look for the sweeter Spanish style rums from Central and South America. I would suggest Diplomatico. There may be some subtle oak in there but no smoke or char, and the oak is way in the background behind the powerful brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, clove, nutmeg, cinnamon etc notes.

The Diplomatico Reserva is very nice, and the Reserva Exclusiva is even better if you can swing it.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 11, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also Diplomatico is really well priced for the quality

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What's a good rum for Airmails?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
Eldorado 12 Year (red), 15 Year, and the Diplomatico Reserva are literally the best 3 out there for beginners to rum. It's what I think of when, "imagine what rum SHOULD taste like" - dreaming of pirates and poo poo. Plus they are an excellent value for what they are. Where else can you get a badass 12 Year old aged Scotch for $29.99 ?

If your local store doesn't stock it, you can purchase it here https://www.drinkupny.com/Balcones-Rumble-p/s1204.htm

While you check that link, the Balcones Rumble is simply amazing, and quite rare. I'm not really sure if it's technically a rum (it's made virtually the same method), but it's wonderful, sweet, and something special.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Landrobot posted:

Eldorado 12 Year (red), 15 Year, and the Diplomatico Reserva are literally the best 3 out there for beginners to rum. It's what I think of when, "imagine what rum SHOULD taste like" - dreaming of pirates and poo poo. Plus they are an excellent value for what they are. Where else can you get a badass 12 Year old aged Scotch for $29.99 ?
Eldo 12 is unbelievably good for the price. Equal parts that, 3 year Eldorado and S&C makes the best Navy Grog on earth. I haven't tried the 8 year in place of the 12 in it yet because it's not available to me locally, but next time I do a DUNY order I'm going to get some and see if it's an even less expensive option.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Been a while, forgot how good mount gay extra old can be neat. Just slowly sipping.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for a good entry into the world of rhum agricole?

It's a little pricier but St George Rhum has a wonderful olive flavor. It's almost like drinking a dirty martini.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Any recommendations for a former bourbon drinker who tasted El Dorado 12, fell madly in love, & immediately bought a bottle of the 15 year?
Mainly interested in sipping rum; I don't really do cocktails.

CARL MARK FORCE IV fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 27, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Diplomatico, plantation 20

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Shbobdb posted:

It's a little pricier but St George Rhum has a wonderful olive flavor. It's almost like drinking a dirty martini.

That'd be like telling someone to have Smith + Cross as their first Jamaican rum. That's real high octane stuff. I'd start with something a little more friendly (and aged) like Rhum Clement VSOP, Neisson Eleve Sous Bois, or JM Vieux.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Seconding Rhum JM, but the VSOP imo.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

My Demerara rum order finally made it through customs.
This is my first experience with Lemon Hart 151 and it's a wild beast to tame. I did a 151 swizzle and even after flash blending for more than 10 seconds it was still very hot. I'm excited to try it in a Zombie too, but I'm afraid it may not really come through. Anything I need to try that can only be done with this rum?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

sean10mm posted:

I love me some Coruba for that dark rum funk that's easy on the wallet. Great stuff if you can find it.

silvergoose posted:

Been a while, forgot how good mount gay extra old can be neat. Just slowly sipping.

That's a wonderful after-dinner sipper, for sure.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Reviving the thread because I just snagged a cheap (~25% off) bottle of Rhum JM Gold at my local liquor store. The salesman said JM is phasing it out in favor of the VSOP bottling; apparently "gold" evokes Bacardi garbage to too many US drinkers. Not sure how true that is (as I can't find any news about it with a cursory search) but it's worth looking to see if your local liquor store is discounting it, as it's a delicious intro to Martinique rhums if you haven't had one before.

Time to make a bunch of mai tais (after I get tired of drinking it neat and in old fashioneds)!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So I was looking on my local liquor store's website (I'm in the south bay area in CA) for some new rum to try. I've had my eye on El Dorado for a while now, but all they have is the El Dorado 21 for $120. :stare: At least the Flor de Cana selection isn't terrible.

(Feel free to look on the website and recommend any good (and cheap-ish) sippers and mixers.)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I was pretty excited to try Flor de Caña when I saw it recommended in this thread, but then I read this article about its production, and, welp.

quote:

CKD stands for chronic kidney disease of untraditional causes. In Chichigalpa, the rate is more than six times the national average; at least 2,800 to 3,500 people have died from the disease in the last decade. It's a disease that researchers have linked to working conditions at the sugarcane mill.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Toast Museum posted:

I was pretty excited to try Flor de Caña when I saw it recommended in this thread, but then I read this article about its production, and, welp.
It's a decidedly mediocre rum, especially the older versions. You're not missing out.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

:stare: welp.

Ralith posted:

It's a decidedly mediocre rum, especially the older versions. You're not missing out.

It's in the OP so I was looking for it. I'll pick up Cruzan instead, I guess.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Solumin posted:

:stare: welp.

It's in the OP so I was looking for it. I'll pick up Cruzan instead, I guess.

I haven't tried Cruzan's aged rum, but their white rum is fine, and I love their blackstrap. Looks like Bevmo has neither, which is weird.

They've got Barbancourt, which is in the OP and which I remember liking. It's been a while since I've had it, though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

I haven't tried Cruzan's aged rum, but their white rum is fine, and I love their blackstrap. Looks like Bevmo has neither, which is weird.

They've got Barbancourt, which is in the OP and which I remember liking. It's been a while since I've had it, though.

For some reason*, they show both "Cruzan" and "Cruzan rum" as brands. The former has the light rum, black strap, etc. It also depends on which store you choose, and there's 2 close to my apartment.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Solumin posted:

So I was looking on my local liquor store's website (I'm in the south bay area in CA) for some new rum to try. I've had my eye on El Dorado for a while now, but all they have is the El Dorado 21 for $120. :stare: At least the Flor de Cana selection isn't terrible.

(Feel free to look on the website and recommend any good (and cheap-ish) sippers and mixers.)

Where are you more specifically there are likely some way better shops we can recommend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Acethomas posted:

Where are you more specifically there are likely some way better shops we can recommend.

Mountain View, CA, about a half mile from Castro Street.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

So I finally got Wray and Nephew overproof white rum. Anyone got some killer cocktails to recommend?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Toast Museum posted:

Huh, well it's my go-to rum and I really like it but I'm sure as poo poo gonna stop buying it

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Can someone remind my why Barbancourt isn't considered Rhum Agricole even though it's distilled from whole cane juice?

I love the Rhum Agricole Blanc from Martinique I can get, but Barbancourt's white rum is significantly cheaper.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Solumin posted:

Mountain View, CA, about a half mile from Castro Street.

Go to K&L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

The Hebug posted:

Go to K&L.

They have Smith & Cross! And a lot of other nice rums! Thank you, I'll check them out.

• Locked thread