Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of a simple script that actually informs you when one of your ships has been destroyed? I know you can enable a warning sound when one is under attack but it's weird that the only way to find out which ship has been destroyed is to go through a couple menus and check your log book. Like something that just scrawls along the bottom of the screen for a second or two, like when you're selecting missiles.

edit: doh, found what I was looking for https://www.x1tp.com/root/jdownloads/X3%20Terran%20Conflict/FIGHT/Fleet%20Management/Shipkillednotifications-V1.0.3-16.11.2008.spk

Someguy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Stephen posted:

Is there anywhere outside of Terran Space that I can get Matter/Anti-matter Warheads? Some rear end in a top hat is requesting 250 of the loving things and I picked an Argon start.

Grab this: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=223503

Pretty invaluable mod that wasn't included in the OP.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Liberatore posted:

I haven't used it yet, but I believe Teladi Information Service, included in the OP, does that already.

Oh neat, I've never used that either but I suppose if for whatever reason it doesn't work, or anyone finds it lacking, the Buy/Sell Locator is really awesome and works perfectly.

Also going back to L chat, I find a good way to spot an empty one is to fly to warzone sectors (Argon ones work well) and just look around, I often find empty ones after what I assume was a large battle. Especially good if you're a low level or don't have any assets to fight one yourself.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Never do missions in Terran sectors, they all suck. Personally I think the best missions for profit/relations/ease are the assassination ones. Finish the Terran plot and get yourself a Vidar, or splurge on a Spring-blossom and then jump into the sector and make a beeline for the target, once you destroy it most of the other larger enemies will jump away. Once you've got some cash, buy a large transporter and do station building missions, coupled with Best Buy locator it's one of the easiest way to make money in the late game, since once you get your Fight rank up assassination missions get harder, and the targets become Carracks which are tougher to kill.

edit: vv I remember some of those missions would let you use any ship with lifesupport, but others would force you to use a transport class ship, and who flies those things around? I just like assassination missions because you get to kill stuff instead of auto-piloting around like a busta, I guess

Someguy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 4, 2013

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
I was going to tell you to get an increased hull strength mod and then link to it, but I can't seem to find it and remember it being really hard to get in the first place. It's really useful if you use MARS or Smart Turret scripts because it's pretty lame when all the battles are over in .2 seconds and you can't even watch them from a distance because of it. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll scrounge around for it and throw it up somewhere.

edit: you need to find a place that sells e-cells as a primary resource, if it's a secondary one you'll be fooled into thinking you can buy some when you can't, only sell

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Use this mod http://forum.egosoft.de/viewtopic.php?t=248405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Resizes the stupidly large Aldrin rock so it doesn't cripple your fps

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
This looks pretty amazing, my only concern is them dumbing down the game, but that's probably unfounded.. right? :\

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

ZombyDog posted:

Rebirth info from the demo at Gamescom here

"Ship is very fast and very agile. Strafing speed is enormous. It's very easy to orbit big ships while avoiding fire. Feels like springblossom with spacesuit agility."

Well if they were determined to only allow you to pilot one ship the entire game, I'm glad it's that one.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
God I hope I really hope it's not dumbed down, that is like my biggest fear.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Mr. Crow posted:

The whole point is its dumbed down.

I'm hoping there's significantly more variety in the ships than they've shown, being there isn't though :(

There is a difference between streamlining legitimately clumsy gameplay elements and dumbing down the more complex but still fun stuff. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
The full soundtrack is up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVDjQsLRVvU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
God dammit all the new games I'm interested in always turn out to be poo poo. :(

Maybe it will be patched and modded for next year when I have hardware to run it at full details.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Pretty spot on review for the game encase anyone was still on the fence about buying it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUx96-6-dw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Alright, let's drop the fig leaf. Egosoft made a Freelancer clone, with modern graphics, stripped of breadth and depth, with high school-level voice acting, plot and dialogue written by an unpaid intern, translated into English by another unpaid intern, tailor-made to an x360 controller intended to be used with a PC, realized what a pathetic scrapheap they've wasted 6 years worth of money on, slapped the X brand on it and hoped people wouldn't whine too much.

There. That is actually what we can see. A Freelancer with modern graphics but none of the things that made Freelancer fun or compelling. Claiming that X:R was originally a console game excuses a lot of inexcusable decisions.

No, claiming Rebirth is bad because 'wahh consoles' is just some retarded whiny PC nerd justification that is pretty much unfounded. It's already been explained why there is '360 code' (like two lines) in the game files, and why they went hard on making the game work well with a controller. It's clear the devs were simply trying to answer the complaints that had been levied at every single previous X game and just failed miserably to make a good game while trying to not retread past mistakes.

You can't blame this on anything but developer incompetence, plain as that. I'm sorry, but lots of other developers have made great games and then dropped the ball badly afterwards, it happens.

• Locked thread