Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

GimpInBlack posted:

Figure this might get better discussion over here:

Riffing off of this for a moment... I've never really liked the idea that Infernals are chosen from the people who failed to live up to a Solar Exaltation. It always felt flat and boring and frankly CAPSLOCKGIRL covered all the reasons I don't like it better than I probably could.

You know, I actually changed up that one before I ever used Infernals. I only know one person who has as much of an interest as I do in Aristotelian virtues, but I think they're great background knowledge for playing with Exalted because of the intended social milieu and mythic assumptions. The way I liked to handle it was that someone exhibited all the character traits, that burning spirit, which you need to become a Solar, but in your moment of truth, circumstances result in a catastrophe beyond your control instead of you failing due to your own character. Instead of them being inferior Solars, the could-have-beens, I made them into the might-have-beens who had been betrayed by petty circumstances and incidental happenings. I felt like the Yozi, world-entities brought to bended knee by a few thousand angry sprigs of mistletoe, would empathize.

I thought this was interesting because it made the Infernals more compelling characters, and gave Sidereal Akuma, demons, and loyalist Infernals an interest in subverting heroic moments in subtle ways. Nowadays, I am not sure I would do it the same way and wonder if something even further from the original should be used. Your thing would probably have too much overlap with how I like to view Abyssals for my tastes, but it's very good for creating strong characters!

Also, CAPSLOCKGIRL has some good commentary in that thread about why I almost never wanted to play a Solar in 2e despite really liking their original portrayal and the kind of stories you tell with them. I love being the renegade opposed to the established corrupt order looking to revolt and build a better world, and in turn having to deal with all the problems that the original Empire had to deal with. I was turned off by the setting trying too hard to make Solars the Ultimate Designated Heroes of Perfect Shining Supremacy to the point where playing one did not sufficiently feel like playing an underdog mercenary dirtbag Anathema looking to overturn the Realm's perfect order. I hope, in 3E, they are not so much infinitely ultimate as the spoiler in the millenia-long cold war deadlock between Sidereals, Elementals, Lunars, Dragonblooded, Gods, and other players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Oligopsony posted:

Wasn't there a Jackie Chan-style MA all about smacking people around with improvised weapons, or am I making that up?

First Pulse, Solar Hero, Infernal Monster, and Dark Messiah all count "Improvised Weapons" as acceptable form weapons for the style. First Pulse is literally Exalted Street Fighting.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Mexcillent posted:

The Silver Pact and Renown for Lunars was some cynical crap. I can get on board with that complaint. Hoping there isn't a Silver Pact in 3e.

Maybe now that Lunars own actual Kingdoms up to and including Australia, they can be organized geographically instead of ideological factions that made sense at first, but mostly fell apart and stopped making sense when you tried to fit them into the game world or look at them too closely.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
It's always disappointed me since I started playing Exalted that, when a player puts dots into Manse, 99% of the time, the focus is on the Hearthstone they can use rather than the actual magical fortress. I would like to see Hearthstones purchased separately from manses. Manse is for players who want a fortress and magical base of operations. Hearthstone is for players who want a rock that makes them regenerate motes faster, plus some minor powers. Perhaps you get a discount if you buy both together, or perhaps not, but I think "I have a magical death fortress" deserves more focus.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
This could be either. For manses, I generally look at awesome, ancient buildings, and wonder what magical powers they would have if translated to Exalted. Perhaps the Colossus of Rhodes was a point defense system and lighthouse in combination, and it was of Hesieh. That sort of thing.

I'm not as good at demenses, but I'd consider doing the same for landscape features and deities. "Why is there a hole so deep here? Perhap this houses a group of crystal elementals who wanted to see the sky."

Ferrinus posted:

I think it's good to link the two, such that your magical death fortress always counts for something even if you're adventuring half a world a way. Also, like I said, the understated nature of a hearthstone's actual benefits makes a fun point about what it means to be powerful. Is it really worth it to unilaterally restructure an entire community and to siphon away the flows of natural magic that may well have sustained that community's livelihood just to provide yourself with a minor portable convenience? The answer is yes.

Yeah, this makes sense. I'll rephrase to focus on my primary issue: The magical death fortress itself is rarely detailed and doesn't usually manage to count for anything besides the Hearthstone. This is a sad underutilization of it.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously, one of the more tedious ideas that seems to have crept into Exalted since I was last involved in it is the idea that "Exalted irrevocably gently caress everything up forever and are also huge assholes, just don't touch anything in case you ruin in with your big clumsy fingers you rear end in a top hat."

I mean sure, let incredible power have consequences if used irresponsibly, I'm down with that, but it'd be great if that wasn't wedged into every possible aspect of the game as humanly possible right down to "oh, and that sweet magic rock you have caused an earthquake that destroyed a village, hope your +2 to jump checks was worth it O Prince of the Earth."

Yeah, there are enough dreary things in the setting without saying "Every time someone makes a manse, all the little forest creatures die and acid wells up from the ground, the Earth withers away, and everyone dies." Yu-Shan is entirely covered with manses and it's reportedly a pretty chill place to live, but forget lore reasons; It's dumb because "Human attempts to master the untamed wilds always have big negative drawbacks" is a Werewolf thing that Exalted games shouldn't shoehorn in by default. It would be cool to have a one-off story where dismantling the Manse of a big jerk would create acres and acres of arable land, and the PCs could send up a Martial Arts Dojo in the ruins, but it should be equally valid that your manse channels raging underground water energy into creating an oasis that can feed thousands in the middle of the desert. In my opinion, a pretty big theme of Exalted is that power is eternal, and its ultimate consequences can only be determined by the character of she who wields it. Having manses categorically be a black stain on the environment in a way I would find highly obnoxious.

That said, I wouldn't mind using "defective/thoughtlessly-placed manse is harming the majority of the area's residents" as a plot now and again.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ferrinus posted:

On another subject, here is an important reminder: in the current build of Exalted 3rd Edition, whether you know Martial Arts is completely unrelated to whether you know Martial Arts. That's because many Martial Arts don't require the practitioner to have any Martial Arts, while, conversely, each type of Exalt will have access to a tree of Charms that aren't part of the Martial Arts, but that require Martial Arts to use. So, while your character might be a Martial Artist, they might at the same time not be a Martial Artist, or vice versa.

I think they've mentioned that a Merit or something might allow you to use your Charms which require Martial Arts but aren't Martial Arts in conjunction with your Martial Arts that require Martial Arts, though I'd guess not in conjunction with your Martial Arts that don't require Martial Arts.

Call it Unarmed. Call it Kung Fu. Call it Body. Call it Close Quarters Battle Doctrine. Just call it something that doesn't require me to parse this (and it parses just fine and I totally understand it, damnit.)

If Martial Arts needs to be on the character sheet just make a BIG FAT BOX that says MARTIAL ARTS in some faffy Exalted script and STICK IT RIGHT ON THE CHARACTER SHEET and divide it into THREE PARTITIONS with CHARMS, MERITS, and TECHNIQUES inside them for your special MARTIAL ARTS CHARMS, MERITS, and TECHNIQUES.

At home I'm probably just going to call it Fist.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Attorney at Funk posted:

The 3e Kickstarter just passed Monte Cook's Numenera to be the biggest RPG Kickstarter ever. Good job, guys.

Word. Before this Kickstarter, I didn't know who Melissa Uran was, but her art was exactly what Exalted needed to get people fired up about it. It really helps to carry Novia Claro and Perfect Soul out of the 'Strong Female Character' ghetto and into the realm of women who women can genuinely think are badass. A ton of great people have and are going to continue to put a ton of great work into the Third Edition of Exalted, just like the authors of the past who built the core setting conceits that make it such a strong brand of RPGs.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Attorney at Funk posted:

Apart from that one thing I've been really impressed and enthused by the creative and technical work that's gone into this at every step of the process.

I am enthused by lots of things; There seems to be a renewed effort to make every splat unique, playable, and interesting, and to make it possible for an ordinary human to create enough NPCs to populate their game and resolve combat in a timely fashion. I have expressed concern regarding certain issues, and cannot be certain they will be handled in a way that satisfies me, but I still have hope that when the Core Book drops I will feel like Charles "Barkley" Spaulding just hit me in the face with more Facets of Enlightenment than there are dimples on a basketball.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

BryanChavez posted:

I was sort of hoping that we'd get a thematic five for the corebook: Tiger, Bull, Spider, Wolf, and Falcon, to cover the sobriquets of the Solar castes, and also add more animal styles than just the obvious Chinese-flavored ones. Then add a few more, like Righteous Devil and such. Obviously that requires them to write-up four entirely new martial art styles instead of just translating from earlier editions, but I never said I was reasonable about my hopes.

I really hope that Eye of Heaven makes it in, because I would love to seek out an ancient Dragon King to study under or start with one as a Sifu to learn Dinosaur Kung Fu. I am extremely excited about Crane style being in, as I love the whole Compassion-focus of it, especially the capstone, and wonder how 3e would handle its weird Perfect.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'll second Crane being a good choice for inclusion...it gives you a "soft" style that isn't all about murderizing people as hard as it can and it's a classic staple in a lot of kung fu media.

Yeah, and this is how you practice it to show up some rear end in a top hat Realm guy. I want to be able to put the Reach tag on my sword.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 2, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Nessus posted:

Please: Lisa Lisa would combine DPC with what are apparently now Solar Brawl Charms. That's the one thing I regret about losing Solar Hero: I just described it as the ripple :(

Losing Solar Hero? It's not being lost, it's just becoming "The Solar Brawl Tree."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
So, I just noticed that while the stretch goal said two backers would get to add two Martial Arts to the book, there were actually three openings there for people to pledge at that reward tier. Are there going to be even more MA styles in Core?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Zereth posted:

Wasn't it fluffed as like the ultimate something something of beauty or something like that?

A giant seahorse monster.

Masters of this style achieve a perfect waking and lucid union of timeless dream and finite self. With this Charm, the
martial artist opens herself to Creation’s collective dreaming consciousness and assumes the form of the fell and beautiful
Chimera. Swirling light shines down upon the Exalt. Her clothes and accouterments merge with her body as her form
extends to five times her normal height. Her neck grows up to four feet in length and supports a delicate and goldenbeaked
foal’s head. Four sets of spiraling gazelle’s horns adorn her head, reshaping themselves like tendrils of smoke. Many eyes line either side of her narrow snout and continue down her back—ranging from the size of small pearls to the size
of goose eggs. They alternately blaze like sapphires in the noonday sun and blink demurely. Gold-veined pearl scales cover the Exalt’s entire form, providing an additional 6L/12B armor. Instead of arms or legs, the martial artist floats just above the ground on a pair of four-foot-wide carp fins for every dot of Essence she has. These fins enable her to hover in or swim through the air with serpentine grace at 45 miles per hour.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly it would not surprise me in the least if that were the case.

Nope, Charm was ported almost word-for-word from 1e.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Nope. Illustration was new to 2E. That was someone's rendition of the Seahorse Charm.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I feel like it would stick out, as 1e stuff and 2e stuff tend to have different aesthetics. Unrelated, is Invisible Fortress still going to be canon in 3E?

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ferrinus posted:

Perhaps Language should be a Story merit. After all, what if someone just smugly declares that they've picked up in a month something your character spent years of their childhood learning!

I thought that the Story merit doesn't mean that you can't spend XP on it. I thought it meant that you can spend bonus points on it at character creation or XP whenever you're spending XP, but the ST is encouraged to hand it out for free in play if it makes sense for you to have picked it up by now.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

A_Raving_Loon posted:

The more we hear about them, the more I get the impression that Liminals are an attempt to port aspects of Alchemicals to something more in-genre for creation than an army of civil service robots.

I am personally hoping stuff like this is used so they are not all "The Frankenstein Exalted." While Frankenstein's a great book, I hope Liminals also can be used to tell stories of "The crafted perfect super-soldier" or "The veteran brought back from the grave, but not quite right." I do think that the developers are probably trying to give us the core vision now, and later open up with a variety of appearances, power sets, and backgrounds for Liminals; Promethean was pretty good in the regard of definitely evoking the themes of Frankenstein with the product pitch and some of the core elements, but also including other things, like the Jewish Golem.

Do they have to be all fleshy? Can they ever be stone? Metal? Wood? Dirt? I suppose I'll find out sooner or later.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Dodge Charms posted:

Good potential villain.

Sounds kinda like a one-man Borg, or the bad guy from season one of Heroes.

I always knew Megaman was the bad guy.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Mikan posted:

I don't know why you guys want the White Wolf forums back up, because the people posting there are awful. If they put up a "we'll never host White Wolf forums again" stretch goal I'd even consider backing the project.

I suggested this on the Kickstarter comments yesterday and was told I was overstating the problem.

I was told this by someone who self-identified as the OP of multiple brony threads in the very same comment.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
The line is pretty awkward, sure, but Seven Devil Clever is aware the other Lunar is not interested in any sort of sexual poo poo with him and drops the matter like a mature and non-creepy adult. That's actually not a terrible way of expressing he's a solid and professional dude, unless I'm missing something.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Flavivirus posted:

Slight problem there; Seven Devil Clever, the narrator, is the woman rather than the man. Still don't think it's creepy, just a weird choice of idiom.

Oh, right. Sorry, just woke up.

Yeah, I think the idiom is too close to a modern colloquialism, which makes it sound juvenile, but overall I don't think the passage is painting the Full Moon as creepy.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ferrinus posted:

Breeding is a crummy game trait and there are plenty of ways for the Dragon-Blooded to be in decline that don't involve their maximum essence pools dropping by a fraction with each generation!

I agree with Ferrinus. The Dragon-blooded shouldn't be in decline because their blood is inevitably thinning. They should be in decline because they're mostly egocentric and decadent gaping assholes.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Saying Charms are the exact same thing as Feats in 4e D&D is not correct; Charms provide your combat powers and your utility powers, which are primarily separate character-building choices from purchasing feats. Feats, primarily, upgrade your ability to use them, which is done by Abilities, Attributes, and Merits. That said, what game element in Y system is like a different game element in Z system is a pretty silly distinction when, firstly, we don't have the core mechanics of one of the systems, and secondly, we know that one system operates off of a system of resource tracks when the other has powers that refresh individually, one system uses abstracted combat ranges while another uses discrete squares, one system is class-based while another is not, et cetera, et cetera. Seeing people try and analyze the core mechanics, which we don't have, through a 4e lens, makes me confused and annoyed, and arguing about whether the core mechanics will be good or bad belies the greater issue here.

Paraphrasing Mikan posted:

We don't have the core mechanics!

The Emperor's not wearing any clothes!

I get buying in without core mechanics, and I did too, because I really appreciate all the work that was put into making 2e an actual playable game, which was what led me to back in the first place, but I think it's a really weird call to not release any quickstart material in the Year of Internet Word of Mouth 2013. I have seen Holden state "We are not giving away our core system for free," but I must confess, I see no reason why they wouldn't let it out to get people excited, as the people who played it with no prep on their end or required knowledge of background material at Aggiecon seemed to find it loving awesome. The only thing I can discern is that they are concerned that, with the core system mechanics radiating throughout the interweb, memetic harmful descriptions of them might start propagating, but I would be really surprised if that weren't outmatched by people saying "Look at how Ex3 handles this, and this, and this, and how cool it is, et cetera, et cetera." There are always nerdsayers, but if a quickstart had dropped on Day 1 some Youtube videos of baller Skype games of all kinds and flavors would have thousands of views and poo poo by now.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 6, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Nightskye posted:

People have faith in them because they have a track record for producing good books. This thread has turned really uncharitable in the past few days.

I want them to do a preview too, if only because feedback is imo always beneficial to development, but it's not like we're entitled to it. I bought D&D 4E purely on "faith" too, and that one turned out pretty well.

I didn't say anyone was entitled to anything, and I do think they have an overall track record for producing good books in addition to doing a good job at fixing busted-rear end mechanics and making things work right, as I especially love Shards and Alchemicals as two of the best books to come out this edition. That is why I backed the thing within 24 hours of it opening. I'm just saying I think it's a strange decision on their part to not release anything like that.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ithle01 posted:

As much as I like some of Neph's work I'm glad someone finally said this. The 2nd ed. Abyssal charm set was bad all over and I really like Abyssals so I have some problems with him. Aside from the Only Murder theme knee-capping their charm set there was no effective surprise negator, no effective flurry breaker, and no step 7 perfect. This wouldn't be particularly damning if it weren't for the fact that he helped design the system and didn't realize that this made Abyssals terrible at combat, which was apparently the only thing they were allowed to do thanks to Only Murder.

They actually get a perfect surprise negator in Ominous Portent Method, depending on interpretation and if they're willing to have the Neverborn in their heads all the time, and they do get Wounds Mean Nothing for a step 7 perfect if they're willing to dig deep down into the Resistance tree, but the general thrust of your criticism is definitely valid.

The number one thing that really made them comparatively poo poo at combat was the Spectral keyword, which was fortunately deleted entirely.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 6, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ithle01 posted:

I don't mind the nihilism, in fact that's actually one of the things I really like about Abyssals. Hell, I actually ran an Oblivion loyalist Abyssals game as one of my most successful games. Ironically, the players ended up doing more to help Creation than any other game they've played in.

Edit: I forgot about Wounds Mean Nothing, I forgot that it's Iron Skin Concentration that they don't have access to, not Adamant Skin Technique. Still a problem though. And Ominous Portent Method giving you resonance in a fight can be.... problematic let's say. Seriously, it's basically GM fiat once you hit resonance 10 and the ST has to decide whether or not the resonance eruption is of the kind that will get you killed or do absolutely nothing.

I don't mind nihilism, as I can totally dig using Abyssals, or really any splat, to explore nihilistic themes. I just thought 2e Abyssals were too nihilistic for my tastes, and often nihilistic in an uninteresting way. That said, I can easily do things of that sort differently at home, but the "IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE UNDERWORLD THERE IS ONLY MURDER" charmset was a huge problem I couldn't fix on my own. The spectral keyword and other BS put in there because "No one can step on the Solars' toes!" was icing on the cake and brought it to the point where, while I might have story reasons for wanting to be an Abyssal, I never had mechanical reasons for wanting to play an Abyssal over another splat; The mirror keyword was also, I found, an issue here, but the mirror keyword not being as cool as it sounded has been echoed by the 3e designers many times at this point.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Yeah, it's actually pretty loving boring to play in a region, in any game, if that region only has variations on one major type of scenery. Like, I hope the North has a much bigger variety of environments, and the West has some larger islands that can sustain a more complex climate than "You know, the standard island climate." The Directions also don't only need to be differentiated by environment; They can be differentiated by who's there, and, since this is a fictional setting, the themes and types of adventures the area is geared towards.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

cenotaph posted:

I've also heard that we should feel secure backing the game because the current staff has put out "multiple five-star books" and if anyone actually knows what those are I'd like to find out because the only mechanical content I've seen is errata.

I just hope they are holding off on a mechanics preview until they charge peoples' cards. It would be absurd to know nothing up until release. Also maybe the could use some of the kickstarter money to have a PR intern filter out their offensive content and passive-aggressive tone. They could even use the dollar I gave them!

I agree with you, but wanted to respond to your questions regarding books. Shards of the Exalted Dream is, in my opinion, one of the best books Exalted has ever seen, giving info on how to use the core concepts and themes within Exalted in four different settings, providing an entirely new mini-rpg about kung fu battling, charms related to the modern era, rules hacks that improve multiple splats, four awesome settings, baller new artifacts, et cetera, et cetera. Holden worked on Alchemicals, which, mechanically, were probably the best-functioning splat in all of 2e, and definitely had some cool stuff in it as well. Glories of the Most High was written by John and Holden, and it had some great charms, martial arts, and fluff interspersed with some not-so-great things, particularly in the Luna portion. It still sold really well, or so I hear.

There's also CotD: Autocthonia, which was released episodically; I don't know much about it, but I hear it was quite popular and would definitely check it out before running an Alchemical game. The final book was Masters of Jade, which was an awesome thing about the Guild which a great subsystem for running organizations in general. One or both of the current developers have author credits on all of these books, and almost certainly others I've forgotten, so they've done a lot of things besides errata.

On the matter of offensive content, I think there's a bit of an elephant in the room in that, in comparison to D&D or Pathfinder, there are almost certainly a greater percentage of Exalted players who use it for Animes/Furries loving Each Other. Holden and Plague of Hats have pretty much stated that they find these people creepy, appalling, and basically :psyduck:. I wonder if, post-Kickstarter, there will ever be a concerted effort to purge Exalted of those people and tell them:

THIS IS GAME:
NOT FOR PERVERT :commissar:
NOT FOR FURRY :dogout:
NOT FOR PAEDORAPIST :barf:
NOT FOR BRONY :fuckoff:
THIS IS RAW, CONAN EPIC FANTASY. :black101:

Toxic customers like that being out there give people the wrong impression about Exalted way more than Fred Ogreguy or whatever his name is ever could.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Valhawk posted:

Basically, I'd be more likely to believe them if they straight up apologized, and made assurances that they weren't going to be doing this puerile poo poo on the actual kickstarter in front of god and everyone, and not just on our paywalled forum where none of the creepers will see it.

Yeah, I would much rather see them make a public statement to that effect, stating "What was previewed and found objectionable by many was ill-thought-out and correctly identified as offensive, and no such material will be in any published 3e product." than for them to send someone here to pacify us. It would, as the pervert element have gone on the record of grognards.txt stating, anger the pervert element and therefore actually be them going out on a limb to improve the hobby. The only really public and readily-observable statement on the matter for your average backer was "Some people misunderstood our intentions with the charms" which is, for me, insufficient.

That said, I really feel for everyone at Onyx Path and especially on the Exalted team who had nothing to do with that or who want nothing to do with that sort of thing. Only three people are even credited on the objectionable preview material, and I don't know how many of them actually wanted it to be released to the public or felt they were in a position to object. It is why my final pledge amount is not $0, though also not as high as it could have been.

cenotaph posted:

They could really use someone to say "no, don't say that" before they put their foot in their mouth again. Presumably hatewheel, as the development lead, would be responsible for this but so far it hasn't worked.

Considering Hatewheel wrote the charms in the first place, there are at least a couple cognitive biases that psychologists might identify as to why oversight did not occur.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Ferrinus posted:

Holden rightly points out on the White Wolf forums that tabletop RPG powers that use sex as the vector for a game-mechanical bonus rather than a game-mechanical attack are still skeevily coercive, since, gosh, I guess the only way for you to be cured of your fatal poisoning is for you to have sex with me, what are the odds of that, well I suppose there's nothing we can do, etc.

When "kill someone by loving them" and "buff someone by loving them" are both off the table, all you've got left are, like, mechanical representations of how good your character is in bed, and who exactly needs that? Don't we literally have a long post by Holden or John or someone explaining precisely why the game shouldn't be going to great lengths to mechanically track how strongly you follow your stated sexual orientation or whatever?

I agree. It works in Apocalypse World and Monsterhearts, but those aren't games where mechanical advantages are nearly as sought-after as in Exalted, and they're a specific cordoned-off section of the rules than can be detached. In Exalted, even if you write your sidebar, you're throwing them in the pot with everything else.

[quote="Lymond"]

Lymond posted:

My biggest concern is how good they are at dealing with feedback. Playtesting is going to be crucial for their new combat engine, and Holden and John haven't dealt with criticism too well so far. I'm not just referring to the Abyssal preview: back in the day, Holden's reaction to criticism for Cobra Style (which was seriously broken) was along the lines of "I'm disappointed that all you people want Martial Arts to suck", and more recently it's been "people were being hysterical, it's not so bad".

So far, they seem to be too defensive, for sure, I completely agree, but I'm sympathetic to his retrospective on Cobra Style, as while it's busted, I think it does a lot of cool things and could be reworked into something awesome. It has the best intro charm of any 2e MA, for one. And, yeah, while the 2.5 update is unfinished, I don't know that I'd call it a mess for any reasons other than that it's built on a foundation of 2e, and that it's not like anyone was paying them to errata all the things too busted to fix.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 7, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
Well, talking too much about Exalted caused me to have a dream about Exalted. At least, in the dream, I was certain it had to do with Exalted. I'll try to get the gist of it down. I'm terrible at fantasy-prose-writing, though.

Milton's INVOLUNTARY IMAGINATION posted:

It's dusk. A well-built man with dark grey skin, marred my mottled, purple blotches on his back, lets his black eyes stare up at a barren mountain. The scrubland that separates it from him has nothing but cracks, tumbleweeds, and the occasional frail, grasping skeleton of a tree, and the air is filled with a red, malignant dust, choking him and his companion. She's a broad-shouldered woman with shockingly white hair and skin of alabaster- No, her body is actually composed of alabaster. The man doesn't care. He's still staring at the top of the mountain, wherein lies a city and a citadel all at once. His heart, if he has one, is racing with a mixture of fury and trepidation. The woman sighs. "It's fine, Rael. Just keep your mind on what they've done."

Rael balls both his fists and makes a low, grumbling noise. The perspective changes, and now the city atop the mountain is at the base of the field of view. A massive, grasping hand, reaches out for any one of three people. He can't see them, but he can sense them. The first is caught unawares, and a giant middle and index finger snatch them up into a grip with a thumb the size of a carriage. They're split in two. The others are made aware, though, and are now too keen to be caught by the massive being's hands. This doesn't stop him from crashing his fists into every hiding place like meteors.

There's a moment of seeing nothing but black, and suddenly Rael is back at ground level, human sized, panting. The two of them have found him. The modest, black clothing they wear looks like the trappings of some religious order, and their blades are lithe and small, blue and purple. He turns towards the one charging his front, and as the other prepares to slip a daiklave in-between his ribs from behind, he arches his back. This causes the strike to sever his spinal cord, and he begins to waver on his feet. While the religious attacker stands triumphant, the purple stains begin to disappear from his back. Suddenly, white, charged liquid metal jets out of the hole in his spinal cord, vaporizing the skull of his would-be killer in an instant. The rest of his back turns to ash, and Rael's arms bend back at impossible angles and lift up the torso of his attacker. He puts himself back together. The last member of the religious order stares at him with incredulity, unable to do anything, and the alabaster woman takes this moment to rip his heart out. She watches it continue to beat in her frozen, stone hands, examining it closely before deciding to toss it on the ground.

The man's shaking. "It's fine. Rael. We'll find someplace else, just like all the other times."

Kinda stoked for Liminals now, tbh.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
If anyone buys the Chargen Example tier and names their character Exorcist of The Creeping Phantom or Chaste Exemplar of Discarding Lust, I will de-creepify and fully write up any three things in all of Exalted Canon

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Mendrian posted:

I've always had this beautiful dream that Limit Break would just be removed from the game entirely. In its place would be a list of larger-than-life character flaws that grant bonuses (big bonuses) when they're indulged, sort of like the nWoD's Virtue/Vice paradigm. Except for Greek-myth level flaws.

Aristotle held that vices could be an excess of a good character trait, so one who ceaselessly cultivated the heroic virtues might have character flaws like:

Thrasus, the character trait of being too confident, associated with being fearless in all scenarios.

Anaisthētos, someone so even-tempered they take no pleasure in anything. (This one actually sounds a bit dull, so I'd go with the opposite, Akolasia, the vice of PROFLIGATES.)

Asōtia, being generous beyond good reason.

Apeirokalia, making a great display of matters which needn't be made such.

Chaunotēs and Philotimos, believing that one is destined for or deserves an absurd level of greatness, beyond all reason.

Orgilotēs, which can be the hero who brings down her wrath for the right reason and the right time, but brings the full force of her righteous indignation whenever slighted.

Alazoneia, excessive boasting regarding one's accomplishments.

Bõmolochia, never being able to resist mocking people and making jokes.

Now, I'm loving inspired to make a system of rewards for indulging these.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Dammit Who? posted:

The White Wolf forums have decided again that Asskicker Dorothy is terrible, and have also concluded that she loses all her powers if she ever leaves that field. I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but those are some stupid motherfuckers.

Sometimes I post cool ideas there to see how hilariously dumb the objections are. I said "I want Abyssals to be the Exalted of destroying whatever powerful institutions and people have wronged them and spreading the spoils amongst the citizenry." A dude was seriously like "How does that involve any caste other than Dusk?" I wanted to throw Leverage DVDs at him like Chakrams.

BryanChavez posted:

If a strawmaiden defending her fields - empowered by her God and the Unconquered Sun, with a great and mighty god-scythe and a pure heart - is able to fight against desperate odds and come out victorious against a Fair Folk raid, it ruins Exalted forever.

Strawmaiden Janest's optimality ruins Raksha protagonism. I wonder if Stephenls knows about this.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

BryanChavez posted:

That was actually one of the weirdest disconnects when I read that thread, because there were people who were like, "If a new Solar took on that horde, they would be wiped out." And it stunned me, because I sort of imagined that 'held off a Fair Folk raid' was a hell of a story for an Exaltation. Dragon-Blooded, Lunar, Solar, Exigent, whatever. That seems like one of the most basic 'this is why I was Chosen' stories you can tell.

I think that a large part of the issue is that many posters literally cannot comprehend a battle-grouping that works in a way other than them swarming Janest with optimal tactics and fighting until every last one of them is dead. Maybe a horde of losers get sent out and cut down first, then the Raksha Boss sends three giants and once one is down he's like "This pissant village isn't even worth my time! Withdraw!" or some villain poo poo like that and he becomes a recurring nemesis. Like, a newly Exalted Janest or Solar doesn't need to let themselves get surrounded and swarmed or go toe-to-toe with the six baddest nobles in the battlegroup to get them to say "Ok, gently caress this."

Stephenls posted:

Hey, I shared my take, and I'll repeat it here:

Ah, sorry Stephen, I actually knew that and was making a joke based on Forum Imitation Prana or whatever it's called.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Stephenls posted:

To be fair, the "Powerless off the wheat field" thing comes from something John said:

"Does she win this battle? Absolutely. She wins hard.

"They are standing in Creation, and in her field. She was risen up by the god of the field and given the divine mandate by Heaven to cast them out. The Unconquered Sun and Ten Sheaves are with her.

"She cannot lose."

I think you're being too gentle towards them. If one assumes my favorite basketball team cannot lose a home game, to infer they are necessarily incompetent when playing away games is pretty dumb.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Kai Tave posted:

Oh good, so it's not just me. Like, Volfer or whatever his name is, his design isn't so bad, but that sword is like someone played God of War and went "man, the Blades of Chaos are awesome...but what if I made them even awesomer?," and then managed to do the exact opposite of that.

That wavecleaver daiklaive is pretty sweet, I'd forgotten about that. And, like, what was her name, the Abyssal pinup girl iconic character, her sword wasn't that bad either. There was a picture of the Roseblack leading a beach landing where she had a daiklave that wasn't bad either. Beyond that I'm not really recalling very many good examples.

While I agree Volfer's sword is kind of goofy, I am really happy that it is part of encouraging Players and STs to invent their own weird and wild daiklaves, grand goremauls, and whatever else instead of having a bunch of identical ones special because they are made out of ~magical materials~. Like, now I will tell anyone who has a problem with a rapier daiklave or a meteor hammer version of a goremaul to gently caress right off. I already did that, but now the game supports that creativity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when
I honestly don't give that much of a poo poo what the sig chars' weapons look like because I'm just going to lovingly detail the signature weapon of every character I create. Even if it's their fists. Especially if it's their fists.

Yo, StephenLS, do you think I could reskin an artifact weapon as a legendary kung fu sutra in the 3e system? Like, instead of being a physical heavy weapon, meditating on it makes my fists break through iron bars and hit like they have a mass that would make no sense in our world. As I come to understand the true meaning of the sutra, I unlock evocations.

I get you guys would maybe not publish this kind of thing because it competes with your actual martial art styles for design space and people on the 'official forums' would probably find some reason to hate it, but if it's doable I'm going to do it.

• Locked thread