Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Since I backed this back in the First Age I've pretty much avoided any news or info on the game, since I figured it'd just make me impatient for the game to actually drop. I recently heard the game leaked, and just looking over this thread... I'm getting an impression of people's opinions on it, so I'm just gonna ask straight up.

Is Exalted 3e good? Is it just poo poo? When I start up my next campaign, should I try and convince my friends to just try Mage instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Would anyone be up for a RollD20 Exalted game?

On one hand, I'm up till 4am at the weekend anyway, and I want to play Exalted. On the other hand, I'd need to actually read the leak and gently caress that.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Upon flicking through the pdf, seeking to create the best Exalted character ever for this game, I notice a little merit called Selective Conception.

What? :psyduck:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I get it being in there for fluff or whatever, but I don't really get why it's something a PC needs to be able to mark on their sheet? Especially in the context of the rest of the merits. If there were a bunch of similar little details it wouldn't come off as weird I think, though it'd definitely change my opinion of the game's tone.

Is there really no "Rival" type Merit or flaw in 3e? I need a blond Liberian ninja to my suave Brazillian Samurai.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Clinton 2.0, the first robot president, will be in the Whitehouse before the book comes out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I seem to recall celtic mythology has a couple of magic spears that are awesome to read about. Aside from the famous Gae Bolg, (which when it hit someone, it went through every nook and cranny of the body and had to be carved out the victim) there's one that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of that had to be quenched in a cauldron of venom to stop the tip from igniting and, lets see "it's thrust would kill a man, even if it did not strike him. And if the spear was thrown it will kill nine men, and there will be a king, or prince or plundering chieftain among their number".

Starmetal is fate and stuff right? You could "mark" a target and then the spear is now fated to hit that spot next time it's thrown. So you could, like, go to another town and just chuck the spear at the wall and it appears and stabs straight through the dude. Plausible deniability.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
How long has this loving taken? I'm working today and then once I finish I have a game, but I'm pretty sure that I could still manually fix all the Page XX in my rulebook by tomorrow. Even without million dollars worth of cutting edge 90s technology to reference stuff, CTRL + F exists.

Hell, skim the book with a physical notepad and jot down all the changes you need to make and it wouldn't take this long. Is this being done exclusively while Holden is waiting in line at the pharmacy for his brain medicine?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

SunAndSpring posted:

What game? I was talking about the one that NutritiousSnack guy was advertising here.

I knew there was a reason I haven't gamed online in like 9 years.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Heavy download volume huh? The suspence is killing me. Haven't I toiled in hell long enough???

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
At least Claymore is relatively recent. Every time I hear some loser going on about how cool Ninja Scroll is I can smell the stench of the grave practically oozing through my screen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I feel like the white text on the blue background at the beginning is really hard to read, at least on my computer monitor, it's probably fine on actual paper maybe, but then again, it ensures that I don't accidentally read me some White Wolf intro fiction, so I suppose it was probably the correct layout decision.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The word warstriders appears three times in the book. At no point are they explained, stated or even described.

I'm pretty happy that Thousand Courtesan Ways is in the book, now my Dio Brando PC is viable, though since this book only lets you make Solars I can see issues arising.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 23, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

SunAndSpring posted:

Hmm, I'll think about GMing. A bit busy with schoolwork this week, but I think I can manage. Probably will use roll20.

Will you vanish into nothing three days before the game is due to start? Will you abandon me like everyone else in my life?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Hmmm. What do you guys think about using a Martial Art style that can be used unarmed with a Cestus? I mean, it's just a metal glove you wear, and the tags aren't super different?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Bedlamdan posted:

In 2E, I kind of assumed that using a Cestus = Unarmed, but that's because bare fists were lovely weapons for martial artists back then.

Both unarmed and a Cestus are light weapons in 3e, it looks like. The main difference is you can't take your arms off unlike a glove and you can't hug your enemy with steel arms.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Everyone knows robots don't have feelings.

I hadn't really considered the artefact thing. I'll probably see if I can just say I'm wearing a cool metal glove but use the same rules as being unarmed? It's what I was gonna do before I saw the book actually had cestus as a weapon so I'm not too concerned. I mainly want to be able parry swords with my bare hands and I can just do that anyway.

I'm guessing if I want a sidekick support sniper, retainer is probably which of the three very similar merits I want.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
It's a nice upgrade brag from "My hands are registered as lethal weapons"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Am I crazy here or is this box a little inaccurate?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Hows about you have the flavour text be not only separate, but notably different in formatting, so as to eliminate any confusion as to the separation of the two. Like maybe use italics or something? Now, now, I know that this insane radical idea has blown all your asses clean off since no one else has ever thought of doing this in a game before, but try to remain calm.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Ferrinus posted:

Until your Storyteller read the Lore rules, you were able to do that without first paying a lot of XP for the privilege.

Yeah I think this is kind of my issue with it. I love games where there's more player input into world creation and such, but having it be something that you need to invest actual XP and stuff into is kind of weird to me. "I'm sorry Andrew, that rad idea you came up with isn't happening because you wanted to be able to punch people."

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Essence levels are bullshit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
To be honest I'd be perfectly happy with the first paragraph totally as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
It's the dots on a d6. Like, when you roll a five, there are five pips showing.

• Locked thread