Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Premeditated Toast posted:

I grew up on the Outer Banks, and I think they may in fact be referring to it STARTING at Roanoke Island:

"Verse 11
Pass two friends of octave (The towns of Manteo and Wanchese on the island)
In December
Ride the man of oz (Go over the Washington Baum Bridge)
To the land near the window
There's a road that leads to
Dark forest (Oceanside Drive to Nagshead Woods, our local "haunted forest" park. Oh and look, the armor in the picture is sporting the helmet of an old horse's head!)"

The rest would then seem to indicate specific directions inside the park perhaps (which has indeed changed a lot since the 80's). I don't live there anymore but my sister does, maybe I can get her to scope it out. It could be the Elizabethen Gardens, but the "Ride the Man of Oz" line makes me think otherwise.
That the first line could be referring to Octave Chanute, who was friends with and helped out the Wright brothers. That would start you at kill devil hills. If that is the case I think you'd be going across the Baum bridge the opposite way than you are saying here, right? If you take The Window in "the land near The Window" to mean the Lost Colony Amphitheater, then it could still be the Elizabethan gardens.

ETA: and this line “From this hallowed ground they walked away through the dark forest and into history.” is apparently on a plaque at the entrance of the gardens.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Occams taser posted:

Cask 3
Verse 11

Look north at the wing
And dig

That is where the Elizabethan gardens that we have been talking about are located.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Verse 11
Pass two friends of octave
In December
Ride the man of oz
Dark forest
Where white is in color
With two maps
After circle and square

I don't know for sure what much of this means, but going by what what others have posted in this thread and what I know/gathered, I think these clues basically leads up to the Elizabethan gardens, specifically the sunken gardens.

In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood
Under that
Which may be last touched
Or first seen standing

Again, a lot of stuff I am no sure of. But as I recall, there are a couple of paths leading out of the sunken gardens and to the beach.

Look north at the wing
And dig
To achieve
By dauntless and inconquerable
Determination
Your goal.

This last bit seemed that it had something to do with the wright brothers, since it was talking about looking at a wing. I googled it up and it turns out that several of the words here are actually on the wright brothers monument - "In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright conceived by genius achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith."

Added to that, the monument itself looks just like a wing...

and it is made of granite, which apparently has a lot of mica in it (? someone able to tell me how wrong I am here?) which could start to explain the "A path beckons, To mica and driftwood" lines.

I dont remember, but can you stand at or near the beach at the Elizabethan gardens and actually see the wright brothers monument? I think maybe the puzzle leads you to the Elizabethan gardens just to show you where you need to go to actually dig. "look north at the wing" may not mean look to the north where the wing is but instead it could mean go stand at the wing (the monument which happens to be made out of mica) and look north for the place to dig. Was the original wright brothers flight in a generally northern direction? looking at the field and maps it looks like it may have been, but cant find anything saying so, just that the wind was from the north. would they take off facing the wing or with it at their backs? if they took of facing the wind, maybe the marker stone where the flight ended (the "goal"?) is the place to dig.

A couple of other probably far fetched things to support this possibility; If you look at the illustration, the armor kind of looks like a plane, with the arms out like wings, and being supported by beams that look somewhat like the wings of the replica plane in the wright museum. And if I recall correctly, wasn't the field they flew from originally used to graze cattle on? If so, that could explain the helmets face plate looking so bovine like.

ETA: according to this, the flights were to the north. I wanna go dig up all around the first landing spot now.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 1, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

lfield posted:

To add to this, from lemontiger.co.uk:

I posted this earlier, but my hunch is that the "Under that/Which may be last touched" line refers to the "Croatoan" tree that John White found when he returned to the colony.

Does anyone know if that tree is still there? Or maybe a monument/information board at the site of the tree? If you can see the Wright Brothers monument from that spot, I'd reckon it's a pretty strong contender for the location.
That was over 400 years ago. how long do trees live?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Mnemosyne posted:

I want to go dig between that gatepost and the pine tree really badly, but I'm also a giant pansy who is afraid of getting arrested. :ohdear:

I also live about 6 hours away, but I've driven to the Outer Banks before, and would be totally willing to do it again for this, if it weren't for that getting arrested business.
A bunch of people want to dig up the Elizabethan gardens, I want to dig up the wright brothers monument and I'm sure others have different ideas. I wonder what exactly the police reaction would be to a murder of goons swooping in with entrenching tools and hastily crafted MS paint treasure maps to dig dozens of random holes in their historical monuments in the search for a hidden sugar bowl?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Roanoke

Sorry for the image dump here, but I just cut out a couple of things that looked odd in the Roanoke image. I don't know what any of it means (nothing to confirm my wright brothers landing area theory), but maybe something will catch the eye of one of the folks that lived there or are more familiar with the Elizabethan Gardens, or maybe some of this is on a statue or something?

the spoon at the bottom right was bugging me, so I cut it out and made it larger and marked it up (poorly).

It is hard to tell, but I think it is a lever coming out of the wall, not a spoon. the handle of the spoon might also be coming out of the face of a lion or dog or something? it could just be poor quality image and me imagining things too. The lever is being held from flipping up by a pin on the left side, right above the bowl of the spoon. if you look at the whole image, it looks like there is a string or line of some type coming from a hook on the arm of the armor down to the middle of the spoon.

The left side has something similar as well, with the line coming out of the arm into an anchor or something on the floor.

This is the piece hanging off of the right arm of the armor, where the key ring is hanging from. blown up, it looks like a fox head looking to the left.

the air hole patterns on face plate of the cow helmet (the inset in the above image) looks very similar to the layout of the the sunken garden.

this is an image on the left side of the chest plate. I thought it was a butterfly at first, but now I think it is a clover or maybe a tree? My wife (who now thinks I am nuts) suggested a scepter or an angel of some kind. The texture around it strikes me as odd as well; rocks or sand?

this is from the lower right side a little ways below the bell. it looks like writing of some kind. I'm guessing it is the artists signature, but I cant tell. The text is really faint, so it might be nothing, but it does look like it may be something.

just a dump of the symbols on the armor, the keys and the bells in the hope that someone would get hit by some inspiration on what they may represent.

also if anyone actually goes to the gardens, could you see if they have a map of the trails? maybe they match up to the cracks on the wall.

E: for some clarification

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 2, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Roanoke

That is the Virginia Dare statue in the EG, which I think may call for some further examination.

After circle and square

I have been assuming this means the sunken gardens, but if you look at the map...

...the sunken gardens could be the square and the well head the circle. So after the circle and square, following that path, would be either the the Dare statue or (obviously) the other side of the sunken garden, which would lead to the gazebo. (BTW, the gazebo was built in 1981, right around the time that I think the author was burying things. If he got there while it was being built, it may have been the easiest place for him to bury something.)

In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood

Virginia Dare was born in August. Her statue was originally crafted in Italy out of marble (does marble have any relation to mica?) but it was lost in a shipwreck while in transit and lived on the ocean floor for a few years before it was recovered. Maybe that is the driftwood reference.

The pedestal that the dare statue sits on looks a lot like the pedestal that suit of armor in the illustration sits on.

Under that
Or first seen standing

This is probably far fetched, but the statue itself is the artists rendition of what Virginia Dare would have looked like as an adult, since she actually died as a child. So the above lines could be interpreted as the first time anyone has seen Virginia Dare standing, since she died as a child (possibly even an infant), and the statue being the last time you could touch her.

It would be awesome if you could see the Wright Memorial, even just barely, from that spot, but even if you cant it would be interesting to dig on the north side of the statue (the side facing the wright memorial).

The "In July and August" line is killing me. Someone mentioned a stone that had it written on it...

This is the monument stone that says July and August on it (if you look closely you can tell it also has a cross on the top that is very similar to the one on the armors breast in the illustration). Unfortunately, I cant seem to find where the actual stone is located at. Any one have any idea?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

BJG posted:

(A sign with two maps by White on the Harriot Trail with a view of the Wright Brothers "wing")
This sounds plausible, but it bothers me that it is so out of line with the rest of the verse. the entire verse is linear, it leads you from the wright museum, to the bridge, to the gardens, but then in order for the above picture to be accurate you have to think he randomly inserted a line that tells you the final destination, and then followed it up by going back to a linear description of where to go.

Looking at the google map...

...and now knowing where the marker stone is, I have to ask why we are assuming the sugar bowl is inside the gardens? the verse is...

Dark forest

...while I cant figure out what "the land near the window" refers to (yet), there is nothing there to definitively say we should actually be going into the Elizabethan gardens themselves, just that we should follow the road that leads to it. The plaque that we get the dark forest reference from actually says “From this hallowed ground they walked away through the dark forest and into history” which could be interpreted to mean the dark forest itself is our destination, not the Elizabethan gardens. This actually fits in with the verse, which just says go to the dark forest; we have all just assumed it meant the gardens because some clues later on kind of fit with that idea, but only if we disregard the verse being linear.

Where white is in color
With two maps
After circle and square

Has anyone considered the road at the right of the google maps image as being the circle and square instead of the sunken garden (see previously badly marked image)? If everything in the verse is linear (and up to this point it has all been linear, so no reason to think it would change now), then the line "where white is in color" could just mean the areas that White mapped and he almost assuredly mapped the fort (in color=live and in person vs the monotone of a map), and the circle and square would be the parking lot/road (assuming it has not been rebuilt since 1981/82). Is there a couple of whites maps of the fort/colony on display anywhere by chance?

In July and August
A path beckons
To mica and driftwood

if the above is correct, then this would possibly refer to the 1896 stone. I pointed out in an earlier post that the top of the stone has a symbol on it that looks a lot like one of the symbols on the armor of the illustration...

I haven't been to the outer banks in years, so I cant remember the area all that well. Is there a path from that stone that leads to the ocean by chance? Are there other statues, monuments, markers or anything else along that trail that may hold similar clues (if the path even exists)?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

JG_Plissken posted:

Cask 3 is at the Memorial Tower atop Kevin Devil Hill not far from Roanoke (drive across the bridge into Nags Head and turn north). The tower is a memorial to the Wright brothers who are friends with Octave Chanute.

The tower is made of granite (which contains mica) and bears the phrase "In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright conceived by genius achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith."

The verse contains the lines

I suggested this early in he thread...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&userid=130681#post416024957
Shot of it is I think it's possible the clues lead you to the beach at the elizabethan gardens so that you can see the memorial, which is where I think he sugar bowl may be buried.

I have 3 places want to look at, if I ever get down to the outer banks again. The spot where the wright brothers landed heir first flight, the north side of the Virginia dare statue In the elizabethan gardens, and somewhere down the trail from the 1896 memorial marker at fort Raleigh.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 5, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Roanoke
Anyway, Premeditated Toast posted that he has contacts in the local park service, so maybe he can get clearance/confirmation from them about whether it's okay to do some shallow digging around the gardens.

I don't entirely follow the arguments that the the cask is at the Wright Brothers Memorial. Everything in the poem and image so far point to Roanoke, and specifically the Elizabethan Gardens, as the most likely location. See my summary here and the stuff Mnemosyne found in the image here (as well as Premeditated Toast's observation here). All of that seems way, way more suggestive of the gardens than Kill Devil Hills. As I'm interpreting things, the Wright Bros. Memorial is important as a reference point but not as the actual location.
Roanoke

We all agree that the verse leads you to the Elizabethan garden itself (though another theory of mine is that it doesn't take you into the garden, and instead you follow the path by the 1896 marker stone). It is then possible that it is leading you down the path to where you can see the wright memorial (I think the path by the marker stone ends at the beach where you can see the memorial from as well, though neither I nor my wife remember for sure and no one has confirmed that to me yet). So one way or another we get to the point where we can see the wright memorial from across the water.

A Path beckons
To mica and driftwood
Under that
Or first seen standing

The memorial is made out of granite, which has a lot of mica in it, and it looks like a wing. Also, earlier someone pointed out that the bit of armor sticking up on the right arm looks like the wing from across the water. The driftwood could be a reference to going across the water, ending up at the memorial. "Under that which may last be touched or first seen standing" is a complete mystery to me.

As for the memorial itself, if you have crossed the water already then when we look at the following lines...

Look north at the wing
And dig
To achieve
Determination
Your goal.

..."look north at the wing" does not mean stand at the Elizabethan gardens and look north towards the wing, it then mean go to the wing and look north. In other words, The line could correctly be read to be saying "Look north [while standing] at the wing"

I think it might be at the landing spot of the first flight because that is north of the wing itself, and that would be the goal that the wright brothers were shooting for; a successful flight. So "By dauntless and inconquerable Determination" they reached their goal of successful flight and landing. The verse says that is our goal as well.

A few other things that may indicate this are that the armor in the image itself looks a bit like the wright brothers plane with its arms extended and the wooden supports and wires around them. I think the field that the brothers flew from was grazing land for cattle, which might explain the helmet looking so bovine like.

Plus, the part about the wing and the Wright brothers at the end of the verse is 6 lines long. That is fully 30% of the verse which are dedicated to it (not including the first 2 lines of the entire verse); it seems as if this might be more important than just telling you that you should be able to see the memorial from the spot where the sugar bowl is buried.

And now that I think about it, you could look at the verse as a whole as a clue for the hunt; it starts by talking about the memorial and then after a bunch of twists and turns it ends by talking about the memorial again. Maybe that is what we should be doing, starting at the memorial, following the twists and turning clues, and then ending up back at the memorial, which is our "goal".

I wish I could go to the wright brothers museum and memorial to see if anything in the illustration matches up with it.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

SheepNameKiller posted:

Yeah the jewels are no longer there unfortunately, finding the cask really just gets you the cask itself. I was unclear on this for a little while too even though it's explicitly stated in the OP.
Just the casks, yes, but imagine if every time you offered coffee to a guest they said "hey that's an interesting sugar bowl, where did you get it?"

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Roanoke

The main reservation I have about the landing site idea is that the directions would have essentially taken the reader in a full circle. Remember that the start of the verse tells the reader to pass the memorial and then cross the Washington Baum Bridge, which takes them away from the location of the first flight. It seems very odd (and literally roundabout!) to then route the reader through Roanoke and back across the waters to the memorial. It's possible, as you noted at the end, but a key question I have is, is that kind of twisty-turny set of directions consistent with the two found casks and their accompanying verses?

That, and all of the imagery in the book links the Cask 3 site to something Elizabethan, rather than to our good ol' American friends Wilbur and Orville.

Then again, there is a lot of circular imagery in the illustration -- all those key rings and bubbles -- so heck, maybe there is something to the Wright Bros. site.

We ought to compile a shortlist of proposed Cask 3 sites with the supporting evidence/interpretation. I can try to do it later this week, unless someone else wants to give it a shot first!
Oh it could very well be that i am completely wrong, it is just a different theory. I kind of like the idea because I don't know that it was ever explored. People seemed to have been through the gardens looking for other clues, but I haven't seen anyone going through the museum and field.

The problem with it being the gardens, as i see it, is that the trail just goes dead. Everyone can get to the gardens, most get to the sunken gardens, and then...nothing, With the one that was found in Cleveland, when they got to the right spot they new because of all the thing from the illustration that they found. Columns, fountains, statues, walls, all kinds of things. None of that really appears to be happening at the elizabethan gardens. If nothing is fitting like it did in the other finds, and we are just guessing that we should dig under this bench or that gate, then it may be because we are not in the spot where we should be digging. That's why I am really starting to think it is not in the elizabethan gardens; like I said earlier we are led to the Gardens by the poem, but not really ever led into them.

I was supposed to go down to the outerbanks this year and we decided not too. Now I wish we did, so i could walk around the gardens, the fort and the museum with my ipad and a camera looking for items in the illustration that matches something in real life. of course, My wife would not be happy with me spending our vacation looking at symbols on marker stones and counting bricks.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

TheLastManStanding posted:

Just look at these other things that have been posted (most of them by the poster I previously questioned).

A raised cross in a circle and a raised cross in a circle. What is it you find so implausible with this?

If you look at the solved ones' many of the clues in the illustration are not exact replica's of what the ar based on. http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 6, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

BJG posted:

I don't think people should get too hung up on the idea of linear trails through verses or places. Most likely some bits work like that, other bits don't. There's nothing linear about the Chicago solve; geographically it's all over the place. Likewise in the Cleveland verse, specific details about the location precede more general ones.
Even not speaking linearly here, looking at the Cleveland example when they got close they could pick out multiple items in the illustration that were in the area they wanted to dig. Fountains and columns and all kinds of things. Even the wall they were supposed to dig behind was in the image. When it comes to the Elizabethan Gardens, I am not seeing anything close to that. Even the single clue from the poem, two maps on the plaque at the overlook, is kind of tenuous IMO.

Earlier you posted the two places where people think the cask is hidden, under the gate or near the bench, but as far as I can tell there is no real reason to believe that either of those areas are correct other than those are the two things at the end of the trails. No clues in the image that this is right, no real reason in the poem to suggest the gardens themselves.

Don't get me wrong, their could be very compelling evidence for either or both of those two areas, I have only known about this for a few days so I may very well have just missed the explanation of why we should dig there.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

BJG posted:

OK, well, in no particular order...

Pass two friends of octave
In December

Wright brothers, friends of Octave, Wright Brothers Day is in December.

To achieve
Determination

Modified quote from the Wright Brothers monument, in the shape of a wing.

Ride the man of oz

Baum ferry to Roanoke

Map of Roanoke in Image 3

Dark forest

Mangled quote from a sign. We know Byron likes quoting from signs. Cleveland was solved from a Googled quote on a sign.

In July and August

Quote from sign

After circle and square

?

Under that
Or first seen standing

Log / felled tree? Whatever.

A path beckons
To mica and driftwood
Where white is in color
With two maps
Look north at the wing
And dig

Sign with two maps by White where you can look north at the wing, and I think there's a path to the beach.

This isn't my theory; just the best idea I've heard so far.
This was kind of my point. Once we get to the dark forest bit (we all agree, I think, that up to there is leading to fort/EB area), it takes some fitting in to make it work as being the gate or the bench. That in and of itself may not mean much, but when you add in the fact that there does not appear to be any clues from the illustration confirming the location like they had in Cleveland, then the possibility of it being buried at those locations becomes even less likely, IMO.

Having said that, I hope I'm wrong and the Goon that is planning on going down to look for the cask manages to dig it up right under the gate or bench (I think that is where he is planning on looking anyway).

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

LargeHadron posted:

Nobody's mentioned Boston in awhile. What do the Q4T forums say about it? Also, who do I gotta sleep with to get access to those forums?

If you figure out how to get accsss please let me know. I registered but never got approved

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I havent looked over or payed attention to any of the illustrations aside from the Roanoke one, but the fairy really looks familiar. As in, was there a super model or actress that had a famous poster in a very similar pose as that in the late 70's?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Any news on Roanoke? That feels like the one we're closest to finding, just need to get some brave soul on the ground to start rooting around for it.
I haven't been able to get access to the quest4treasure forums (I mailed he webmaster a few days ago, hopefully he will get back to me and grant me access) so I can't see what they have on Roanoke, but the more I think about it the more I think that the casque is not actually in the elizabethan gardens. There is little in the image that anyone can definitevly match up to anything in the gardens. If that was where it is buried, then you'd think that there would be things in the image that would indicate that, like the columns, the fountain or the wall in the Cleveland casque. I wish I could go down to the outer banks and look around the area of the gardens (especially the path by the 1896 marker stone) And the wright memorial. I doubt I would find any matches with the illustration, but it would be fun to do so.

The only other explanation for the lack of matches that I can think of is that maybe we don't have the correct illustration to go with the verse, but the lat and longitude plus the outline of the island near the window are pretty compelling.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

I was planning to head there this past Wednesday but the Outer Banks is currently getting slapped around by Tropical Storm Andrea.

That's located in Fort Raleigh National Park, right beside the Elizabethan Gardens. If you hop the rail and hang a left you'll get to the Garden Gate. Could be worth a shot.

I don't know dude, Strongylocentrotus and Mnemosyne both made some strong arguments between pages seven and nine of the thread. Some casques may be tied more to the verse than the pictures.
Could be. And I freely admit I am quite probably wrong and in the minority of opinion. But I think it is worth looking outside of the gardens, which based on the plaque at the entrance to the EB could be to dark forrest referenced in the poem. The fort, wherever the path by the marker stone goes, places like that. And the wright memorial too heh.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm convinced the Roanoke one is buried next to one of the ends of the Lost Colony playhouse. I'm in Tennessee though and have no idea when I'll get to go and break some laws digging up their property. Maybe I'll just plan an OBX vacation.
I think at this point it will come down to someone going down and looking around to see if they can match up anything in the image or verse to a final spot to dig. I think a couple folks from the Q4T forums have tried this already but I don't know if they actually found anything compelling or not.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

Greetings everyone.
I am Rook and I am from TX.
I saw this site thanks to White Rabbit over at Q4T.
I have been working on this hunt for over a year and have made good progress.
I like the organization of this site which is not unlike the methods I used to solve some of the puzzles.

I am currently planning a Houston dig but am uncertain if I will get permission to dig.

I do really believe that there are two or three treasure locations already solved, there just needs some digging to be done.

Please let me know if you need any assistance or have any questions. :)
I have a question... how does one go about getting access to the Q4T forums? I registered, and then sent an email to the webmaster as BJG suggested, but nothing!

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

There is evidence in Roanoake that leads the the spot where the bench is at. The shape of the trail is on the image, the wooden post/fence thing is also in the image. What it comes down to is how you interpret, "Under that which may be last touched or first seen standing." A bench meets that criteria.
I suggested a path in the image earlier heh. Do you have something that shows the path in the illustration by chance? Or tha shows where in the image the post fence is?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

xie posted:

I'm willing to back-burner Charlesgate, and really all Boston parks and try to match some imagery.

The imagery matched in the Cleveland park was pretty small, except for the wall itself, and the leg eater is also fairly small.

There was the columns, the arch and 2 different fountains I the Cleveland illustration, al which were in the park,along with the wall.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

GWBBQ posted:

"From research, it seems that there are only three blue domed Russian Orthodox Churches in the United States: Kodiak, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia"
Which image/verse is this in relation too?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

I'm sorry I posted things assuming everyone had history on what I said.
I made this summary for Roanoke, which is basically a freebee.

Please please please keep in mind that digging there may be a crime.

http://freepdfhosting.com/ca8c713629.pdf
This one of the ways I figured it as well, all the way up until the bench. Don't get me wrong, i am not saying I am right or you are wrong, I just have 3 issues with that bit. First, I am not so sure that the railing and the trail path are in the illustration; they just seem like poor matches to me (though the bit you are using as the trail in the illustration has bugged me since we started this thread, and the crack that it is coming out of has a very rough resemblance to the marker stone as well). Second, you kind of have to close your eye and squint with the other to make the last standing bit fit with under the bench. And lastly I don't like the idea that you have to take 1 single line "Where White is in color With two maps" out of order when the rest of it seems to be linear in its direction giving.

Would be nice if someone went and dug at that spot though; probably prove me wrong but either way would find something out.

ETA:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

You might wanna reread the last part of this thing I said about illegal digging before you go turning any places over good:

Never ever EVER underestimate a city's ability or desire to sue people for money and/or fines over the dumbest of things, or for the dumbest of reasons. Because chances are that, no matter how stupid it may seem to you, there is somebody out there who is just crazy enough to do it. Even if only to "make an example" out of you.
It is a crime to dig on federal park lands for relics or artifacts. It is also illegal to disturb the land. And using a metal detector or sonar or any of that type of thing is illegal as well. http://www.nps.gov/fosm/parkmgmt/metal-detecting.htm

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 17, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

xie posted:

edit: I re-regged on Q4T last week and got all of their questions correct on the little quiz :\ Would love to have my membership approved.
Me too. I'm hoping to,read the debates/ideas they have had. So far, at least as far as ronoake goes, we seem to have just covered the same ground they already did. Be interesting to see what we missed.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Was one of the images independently found to have some relation to Paul Revere or was it just one of the verses?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

Wow and you havn't even seen his Battle Star Galactica theory.
I just got approved at Q4T, now I have to go find this theory.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Looks, dude's got weird theories but I'm more tired of listening to criticism of him than his weird theories. He/she only gets one a day and you can always just press ignore.
I am not criticizing his theories. I don't care if he has a million of'em. So far they are all entertaining (what I found of the BSG one was equally entertaining). While his ideas may be reaching and not all that feasible, something he says could spark an idea for someone else which is about all we can ask for.

roanoke
Anyway, I read the Verse 11 and Illustration 3 threads at Q4T, and I didn't see very much that we hadn't already arrived at ourselves in the first couple of days. A couple of things that I did see...
They think the spoon in the bottom right is a pea spoon and that it represents pea island which is pretty close to Roanoke, though I still think it is a lever.
At one point some of them were making a connection between the bells and the glass insulators on a telephone pole.
Someone posted an image of a lantern that hangs all over the Gardens and that has some resemblance to a bell.
There seemed to be a lot of interest in associating the wizard of oz to the puzzle.

I didnt really pay attention to individual posters while I was reading, so it could be just a single poster pushing one or all of these ideas.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 20, 2013

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

GWBBQ posted:

I rotated it 90° counterclockwise and it reminds me of a hood ornament from the art deco/streamline moderne era. I have to run to make my train, but I'll see if I can find a match when I'm at home.

Looks like a genies lamp.

if I knew it was actually a clue and I were to guess though, I would say it is an outline of a lake/river.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Nesetril posted:

Gentlemen, behold.

If I ever get off my cheap rear end and manage to convince myself its worth $5 to have an avatar, and if no one else has used it, I might steal this.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

allta posted:

Out of the remaining casks Roanoke seems to be the one of the easier ones
I don't think Roanoke is as close to being solved as everyone else does. The clues lead up to the general area of the Fort and Gardens, but then there is nothing but conjecture and (in my opinion) ill fitting clues to confirm the final dig location. That leaves a bunch of different places where the sugar bowl has been guessed to be buried, but nothing to really prove it. If it is even possible to get permission to dig on the land, I don't think anyone would get it without something to solidly confirm the location.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

I'm curious, what part of the solve don't you like?
Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing you are absolutely wrong, I just have reservations. I keep comparing it to Cleveland, where the illustration had multiple clues as to the location in it. Columns, a couple of fountains, the very wall where the casque was buried. All the Roanoke clues lead up to the area around the EB/Fort (or more specifically IMO to the path by the marker stone), but there is nothing that says "dig here" in any of the locations deemed to be the final spot. The illustration has not really been much help so far (if it weren't for the map of Roanoke, I might even question if it were the correct image at all; I did do a little looking into the possibility that it may point to Philly, but aside from some tenuous numbers that could be coordinates for Philly I didn't find much, and I could not discount the map).

For example this (taken from Q4T image 3 thread)...

Is not very compelling considering you could find a match for a line with a cross member just about anywhere you looked.

Or the path in the map(from a PDF you linked earlier)...

isn't really a very close match to the illustration at all. It is similar, sure, but not all that similar.

And to be honest, I don't find the bench to be all that compelling as an answer to what "Under that,
Which may be last touched, Or first seen standing" means.

It just seems as if we have a lot of tenuous clues that have been deemed close enough, but none that really point to the bench (or anywhere else for that matter) as being the right spot. While I agree that the clues could point to the bench, they just do not seem to fit well enough that we could get permission to dig based on them, which is why I am not as convinced as most of you seem to be that the Roanoke casque is all but found and just needs to be dug up.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

For reference, here's where the Marker stone you keep referring to is located: Right in the middle of the park's path, near the visitor center. Probably the most exposed spot to dig out of all the theories besides the Wright Memorial, which is basically a barren field on a hill.

I know where the marker stone is. I was not suggesting digging by it, just that I believe it is possible that the trail of clues leads up to the path by it and then gets murky, not that the trail ends there.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

The Monkey Man posted:

The negative space between the rock and the tree on the bottom right forms the outline of Virginia. We're pretty sure that this is near St. Augustine, Florida, but Virginia's outline is pretty unmistakable. Maybe this was supposed to be in the Roanoke picture and ended up in this one by accident?

EDIT: This is stretching it a bit, but the negative space between the tree and the edge of the painting is shaped a bit like Tennessee- an interesting juxtaposition, as those states don't share that border in real life.
My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is there no reflection of the tree in the water?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

BJG posted:

For me the gate fits the image better, but the map fits the verse better. Judging the map theory on the image is a bit unfair, since the verse fits great IMHO. Re: image matches, bear in mind that the people working on this hunt have never had any decent photos of that area to toy with, and you're not going to find another Grant Park, no way Jose. (FOY is solid as a rock in most people's opinion, with no image match except Ponce in a different posture as a general clue for the park, not unlike the Roanoke map.)
I think, at this point, Roanoke needs people on the ground looking for matches and clues from the image. I know a few people / residents / workers have looked already but they haven't really found much beyond what we have discussed in this thread, as I recall. Hopefully, the clues are still there and just being missed or they are found in a different location.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

allta posted:

Once the off season turns up having scouts should be a lot easier. As it stands right now the summer season is in full swing there and the prices are so inflated its almost ridiculous. Come September/October I can almost see it feasible for me to make a vacation there for some relaxing/cask hunting but definitely not now when it would cost an arm and a leg.
My wife and I have free access to a house a mile or so up the road from the Wright Memorial, but we decided not to go this year. What a bad decision.

E: or maybe a good one. At least I know I wont get arrested for digging random holes in a national park.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Or you know, there's the Washington Baum (aka the author of Oz) Bridge. That you can take via Hwy 12 ("In December" referencing the number 12).
While I think Urban Smurf is pretty far off the mark in his theory (munchkins?), in order to be fair it has to be mentioned that Thomas Baum, who I believe the bridge is named after, operated a ferry between Roanoke and Manns harbor. I have not been able to find if he had other routes or not (I dont think he did, but I found nothing conclusive to say either way), but it is kind of plausible that he also ran ferry routes to other islands, so riding the man of oz could conceivably mean the ferry and not the bridge.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Very Nice Eraser posted:

Has there been any progress on the riddle in verse 11?

I see four ways to parse the riddle:
  1. Something that, when it is first seen, is standing and that you touch last.
  2. Something that you first see when you are standing and that you touch last.
  3. Something that, when it is first seen and last touched, is standing.
  4. Something that you first see and last touch when you are standing.

Finally, it's something that the cask (or maybe you) can be underneath. And it's probably found in the Elizabethan Gardens on Roanoke Island or at the Wright Brothers monument at nearby Kill Devil Hills.
The problem is that all of the suggested digging spots, the gardens, the wright memorial, somewhere down the path from the 1896 marker stone, the amphitheater, or really anywhere else that has been suggested, is a federal crime. Even if you knew exactly where it was, who wants to go to jail and/or pay a fine, have a felony on their record or even just get arrested because they have a strong hunch on where to dig up a broken sugar bowl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

rookhunter posted:

Well then permission must be obtained. You never know until you ask. If that doesn't work we write our congressmen. There is even an archeology group that has been digging at Roanoke for years, they might help. If someone is willing to dig then I will try and obtain permissions.
Sure we could ask. But I think in order to receive permission to dig we would need some really solid proof as to the final location which, despite some peoples insistence to the contrary, we don't really have.

I know you have been at this for awhile; I stumbled on this page saying that some of the Ft. Raleigh had been subjected to ground penetrating radar, leading to a couple of archaeological digs, and that they were planning on surveying much more of the park in 2009. I couldn't find anything else about it though (I didnt look very hard TBH); do you know if they did a lot of scans or where they actually did them at? I don't imagine it was anywhere we are looking, but you never know.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 10, 2013