Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

allta posted:

Cask 2:

The location for this one is Charleston, SC
The verse associated is either 5 or 6 (see the list at the bottom)

Yeah, this one is pretty clearly Charleston. The pattern on the masks' forehead is the Charleston peninsula from the air, and the shape of the little mask is the shape of Fort Sumter from the air.

quote:

Not used/Not known verse:

Verse 2
At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

Verse 5
Lane Two twenty two
You'll see an arc of lights
Weight and roots extended
Together saved the site
Of granite walls
Wind swept halls
Citadel in the night
A wingless bird ascended
Born of ancient dreams of flight
Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest
To the south
White stone closest
At twelve paces
From the west side
Get permission
To dig out.

Verse 6
Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration
White house close at hand.

Verse 7
At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet
Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Almost any of these could be a Charleston verse. The "sovereign people built palaces to shelter their heads for a night" certainly describes the antebellum architecture of Charleston. "Citadel at night" could refer to The Citadel school in Charleston; "Long palm's shadow" could be anywhere in Charleston or Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Verse 9 is the Charleston verse, it would make a lot of sense as the Fort Sumter verse. "The first chapter, written in water". First chapter of the civil war?

quote:

The first chapter
Written in water
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking
Shell, limestone, silver, salt
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

EDIT:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=google+maps+fort+moultrie&ie=UTF-8&ei=0fOoUYT6H5GA9gSXl4G4CQ&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

The area to the left of Fort Moultrie there, if you zoom in on Google Maps, there's a long stretch of picket fence, some of which is now dilapidated and unpainted but which could have been green, some of which is now painted white. It's immediately next to Fort Moultrie, which is part of the Fort Sumter national park. There's a large tree back there too but I imagine there would've been other trees there before Hugo came through, so who knows.

It's on the waterfront so seems to fit a lot of details. Of course, it also makes sense for St. Augustine to fit the "first chapter" in this verse, as the oldest settlement in the US, and St. Augustine is also a port and has shell/limestone construction in plenty of places.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 31, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
My wife suspects that the "wingless bird" in Verse 5 may refer to a cannonball. That could be a general reference to Fort Sumter, but metal stars similar to the star on the mask/pendant's right side are often used in Charleston as historical markers of where civil war cannonballs were dug up/found.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fistgrrl posted:

Ireland. I don't get the countries either but the list is on the front page of the wiki: (scroll to Summary)

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage

Edit: okay I guess a lot of these countries were important sources of immigration for the cities (Milwaukee=Germany, New Orleans=France, St. Augustine=Spanish). Still not sure where they're getting them assigned from. Chicago's should've been Poland.

As far as that goes, the fairy in the Charleston image looks vaguely African-American and has bracelets that vaguely resemble manacles. Slavery? There are a few places in Charleston still associated with slavery, such as the Old Slave Mart, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there a .pdf of the full book anywhere? There may be additional clues beyond the verses and pictures.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Charleston

Don't think there's ever been a world's fair in Charleston, either.

bonestructure posted:

Cask 2 - Charleston SC

Sullivan's Island was a good guess, but I think that the verse for this cask is 6, not 5, and it's talking about Hampton Park. The first clue is the huge lion that dominates the image; in the 1950s and 60s, all the way into the early 70s, there was a public zoo in Hampton Park, and its primary attraction was a very unhappy African lion in a small cage. He roared continually, especially at night, and people living around the park complained about him. I remember visiting the park and seeing the lion as a child many times. There are two other things that make me think it's Hampton Park, which are the references to May 1913 and to the Fair remuneration. There was, at the time the book was published, a capstan from the USS Maine in Hampton Park (it has since been moved to White Point Gardens on the Battery) that was put in place in May 1913. Hampton Park was also the site of the Charleston Exposition, which was formally named the Interstate and West Indian Trade Fair. The landscape architect who designed most of the park was John Charles Olmsted, the son of renowned land designer Frederic Law Olmsted (where law defended?.)

There are a number of Confederate monuments in Hampton Park (it's named after a Confederate general, Wade Hampton.) That could fit "Men of tales and tunes, cruel and bold." Another prominent feature of the park when the zoo was open was an aviary ("listen to the birds"), which is close to the park's reflecting pool and fountain ("the cool, clear song of water.") The "white house close at hand" could be the park's large white band stand, which is the only remaining original building from the park's founding (if you interpret loosely, over the years almost all of the individual elements of the bandstand have been replaced at one time or another) or it could refer to the colonial Washington Race Course that was originally on the site. The main building of the Citadel military college across the way is another candidate, though I'd describe it more as a fortress or castle than a house. "Edwin and Edwina named after him" almost makes sense to me, it sounds like a reference to Edwin Harleston and his daughter Edwina (Harleston Village is an area of Charleston close to Hampton Park.) "On the eighth" could be Eighth Avenue, which runs into the park. "Below the bar that binds" sounds like a reference to the bridge that spans the two sides of the long reflecting pool.

I'm not having a lot of luck matching up the images in the illustration other than the lion, though. The round things that are a repeating motif are almost certainly earthquake bolts on the buildings downtown, so it would probably be a matter of looking for bolts with an endcap pattern that matches the drawing. The map overlays pretty well on a map of the downtown peninsula, but I'm not sure what the hairpin shape represents. The legs of it seem to parallel King and Meeting Streets, with White Point Gardens at the end as it goes out into the water. In fact, White Point Gardens was my first thought, but that seemed too easy, the Battery is hands-down the most famous spot in Charleston. The pear, pine tree, and daisy have me baffled.

This is a neat theory, but it it has some problems. For one thing, the lion exhibit closed as of 1975, which would probably be too many years prior to the book's publication. The lion could just be a generic Africa reference, though, which fits in with other details we have, as per the poem for Cask 2:

quote:

Cask 2, Africa
"Africa's Diamond, earth-born star,
Bright harvest of the midnight rock."

Otherwise your thoughts on Edwin and Edwina Harleston are worth considering, only so many "Edwinas" out there.

I still think Poem 2 is worth considering, but Poem 2 is nigh indecipherable:

quote:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

"A Sovereign People" could be a civil war reference -- South Carolina was first to secede. And the antebellum homes in downtown Charleston certainly are "palaces to shelter / their heads for a night!" The same might be said of New Orleans, though.

One possible answer is that the reference to "Iberia" is a reference to Moorish Iberia, and another veiled Africa reference.

EDIT:

ANother possibility, though: Marion Square park in Charleston could fit with verse 5 in that the old Citadel building, which is literally shaped like a castle, is directly adjacent to the park on the north side.

2nd edit: I'm really dense and momentarily confused CASK 2 with VERSE 2.

3rd EDIT: More I think about it, yeah, Hampton Park kinda works. It was founded at the "West Indian" exposition in 1900, "the birth of a century."

Is there any actual sand at Hampton Park though? Unfortunately I fear the park's had some major renovation since the 1980's.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 3, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I don't see a copy for sale on Amazon but it looks like biblio.com might have one. We really need a high quality scan of the whole book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kingnothing posted:

I must say the weird nose shadow is present in both images in the same exact place.

I suspect the artist was probably working from reference photographs. Wouldn't surprise me if that shot of the Statue's face with that exact shadow was the reference photo used for that part of the image.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Plus, asking the illustrator seems like cheating.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Barfoid 3 posted:

Ok. But the OP was confident that this one was in boston before people started making all these "connections" to the library, etc. Why?

I believe that the OP was based on the Lemontiger deduction pages: http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Barfoid 3 posted:

Is there a better summary of the OP's evidence that cask 11 is boston? That's just a link to unlabeled images.

There's also this:

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Absolute Lithops posted:

New Orleans/Charleston
On the other forum, they noted that this part of the verse is a direct quote by "Sarmiento" that refers specifically to New Orleans. I assume they mean Domingo Faustino Sarmiento, a president of Argentina who wrote an Alexis de Tocqueville-like book about his travels in the US. (When I first read the "sovereign people" sentence, I thought it was a quote from de Tocqueville.) The book can't be read online (in English, anyway - I haven't searched for the Spanish title), so we have to take their word for it.

Yeah, I saw that but I couldn't find the quote. It could be coincidence or error until we see the quote. Regardless though everyone seems to think an entirely different verse fits New Orleans anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
How much would it cost to rent ground imaging radar for a day or two?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
CHARLESTON

bonestructure posted:

Yeah, I brought up Hampton Park as a possible location earlier in the thread. The curved line doesn't match up, but a fair number of other things do.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552196&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post416068861

I don't think the lemontiger guess of Stella Maris on Sullivan's Island is right, because I've attended that church and the congregation is very protective of it, they wouldn't want to even chance having all kinds of people digging up the grounds. I definitely can't see the rector at the time (Father Connor) allowing it. None of the boxes were buried on private property without permission, were they?

There are still a lot of "hits" on the Sullivan's Island / Fort Moultrie theory, though, especially some of those images.

Personally right now I think the most likely theory is somewhere on the coast near Fort Moultrie, with the problem that Hurricane Hugo took down a lot of trees and landmarks around there so those parts of verse may now be indecipherable (hence my suggestion of taking ground penetrating radar). Hampton Park seems a decent theory also due to its proximity to the Citadel and the 1900 West Indian exposition, but the whole lion thing seems like a huge stretch because the lion was gone by 1975 and Preiss wasn't a Charleston native.

Marion Square also is adjunct to the *old* citadel building. I wonder if any of the verses potentially match up with Charles Towne Landing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BJG posted:

This book does have some really obscure things in it. Like, "Edwin and Edwina named after him" is borrowed from P164 of a book called "Abroad in America".

The same book is the source of the "sovereign people" in Verse 2.

"Here is the sovereign people who build palaces to shelter their heads for a night! Here is the religion which is dedicated to man as man, and here the marvels of art are lavished on the glorification of the masses! Nero had his Domus Aurea, but the Roman plebeians had only the catacombs to shelter themselves!"

One of these quotes relates to Charleston, and the other to New Orleans...two of the casque locations.

So...this might have nothing to do with Marietta, but I wouldn't rule her out on the grounds of obscurity.

Link to the book in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Abroad-America-Visitors-Nation-1776-1914/dp/0201000318

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kingnothing posted:

While I like the Bryant Park theory as well, I agree with this. I also see that we can rule out Edwin Booth because Edwin and Edwina have nothing to do with him as posted earlier.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that based on a random quote from a random book. Coincidences are possible when you're google-searching the entire internet for phrases.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chunderstorm posted:

I am 99% sure that "Beneath the only standing member of a forest" just means under/next to a tree, presumably by itself. Good poo poo otherwise, dude. Hope you find it.

Yeah, I mentioned Marion Square upthread as a possible. You'd think there would be a more explicit reference to the John C. Calhoun statue, that thing dominates the square.

I think a lot of renovation was done on Marion Square in the early 80's but it may just have been surface landscaping -- if the casques were buried a few feet deep could very well still be there. A bigger issue is that a lot of notable trees were blown down in Hugo so for any given tree in Charleston it's a gamble as to whether or not it's still there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There's this copy on biblio.com :http://www.biblio.com/books/472457234.html

Twelve bucks, plus $30 shipping to the US!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

This post got me thinking, why not White Point Gardens? It may seem too obvious, but wasn't the whole idea that he suspected these things would be found? This is clearly very speculative, but I'd just like to add a case for White Point Gardens into the mix:

White Point Garden
As bonstructure already pointed out, the hairpin shape on the map passes right through the end of White Point Garden. Additionally, The Battery, unlike some of the previous parks mentioned, is one of the places that you can actually see Fort Sumter (as represented by the ornament). The diasy could potentially represent Daisy Breaux Calhoun, famous Charleston socialite, whose husband owned what is now the Battery Carriage House Inn directly across from the Garden. The arches on the map could represent the arches of the bandstand, but obviously they could also represent pretty much any arches at all.

This article goes through the many monuments in the Garden. The problem is making any of the riddles match up to this. There bits and pieces of different ones that could be significant ("the namesakes meeting" in Verse 2 could literally reference Meeting St., which runs right into the Garden, "men of tales and tunes" in Verse 6 could reference all the war monuments and the bandstand).

Important to note in the above linked article, though, is that the USS Maine capstan was moved from Hampton Park to the Garden well before this book was written, not since then (1927 specifically). So references to the capstan (the 1913 thing) could actually place it in the Garden.

How could you possibly write about White Point Gardens and the Battery without writing about pirates OR the little dancing girl statue, though? You'd think one or the other would be in the image at least.

I had the same thought ("Is the Battery just too obvious?") but you're right, a lot of things fit. You can see Fort Sumter from the shore (there's even a marker conveniently pointing it out),

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think that's just a reference to diamond == africa = slave fairy in the picture, Charleston's history of slavery, etc. The midnight rock is presumably coal.

And, of course, there's a white house and a palm tree right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/5hp4c

If you go over the battery wall and down there's rock and sand at the base of the wall. There's even a little beach about a block down the street at the base of the wall. No palm trees though that I remember anyway, not down there.

Edit: here's the little mini-beach, white house and palm tree nearby:

http://goo.gl/maps/uQPIu

The benefit of that beach is it's a place it would be easy to go digging around in.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 4, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bonestructure posted:

The Battery and that little spit of sand down in the corner by Water St are continually pounded by the waves in the harbor. The "beach" changes in size and shape from month to month and sometimes from day to day if there are storms. Anything buried there would almost certainly be washed away.

I figured diamond for Charleston because of the daisy in the picture. Daisy is the birth flower for the month of April, and diamond is the birthstone for April.

Edit: Also, it's hard to tell from the view above, but the silted-up sand beach in the corner is about a ten-foot drop from the Battery above (a bit higher or lower depending on the silt level at the time.) It's actually pretty difficult to get to. This photo shows it a little better.

Edit: Hieronymous Alloy and TotalHell, are y'all still local? We should all meet up at the Battery with our poking sticks and see if we can figure this out. :)

Unfortunately I'm up in Columbia now and can't really make it down -- I'm just voyeur-hunting :P

If it were buried deep enough it could still be there, but then there's water table issues, I'm not sure how deep it could have been buried. That's also a good long distance away from the actual park. I just remember wanting to dig there when I was a kid and my parents saying "hell no."

Alternate theory, and a general observation: The "long palm's shadow" could refer to the palm of a hand, such as that on the Confederate memorial monument statue, not a palm tree.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BJG posted:

Incidentally apart from the month/flower/gem and lat/long, another thing several of these pics may have in common are the shapes of parks. Eg maybe Shore Road Park in NY...? (Still my favourite for a view of the "Isle of B", aka Bedloes/Liberty)

Yeah, there are a number of weird little shapes in the Charleston image that I can't reconcile. I spent a while trying to match up Castle Pinckney with various shapes like the butterfly wings etc. and it just doesn't work. Problem is hurricanes have changed coastlines anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
CHARLESTON

A few more thoughts, some of which may be repetitious:

Presuming we're on verse six:

quote:

Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds
Beside the long palm's shadow

Those three lines seem like they're the "x marks the spot" for this verse.

"Between two arms extended" seems like it probably means the two arms of a statue. There are two separate statues in Charleston's White Point Gardens that have extended arms. The first is the Confederate Memorial out on the point. Two statues each waving an arm around. If that's it, the "Bar that Binds" could be the dike wall of Charleston, which bars the ocean from flooding the city and binds the city together as well. "Beside the long palm's shadow" could be a palmetto tree or the palm of a statue (perhaps at the time of day/month noted on the clock?). One interesting point with this theory is that inset into the dike wall, directly opposite and in front of the Confederate Memorial statue, is a marker pointing out Fort Sumter dead ahead in the harbor and Fort Moultrie off to the side.

There's another statue with an extended arm in the park, though -- the Sergeant Jasper memorial. If we draw a line between that and the Confederate memorial, that would be "between two arms extended" also.

If we really want to get crazy "arms" could refer to the cannons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
CHARLESTON

There are four parts of the Charleston image that are still really bugging me.

1) The pattern on the lion's forehead. This looks like a coastal/river map but I can't make it match up with anything in google maps. Part of the problem may be that the coastlines may look really different at high and low tide.

2) The patterns in the fairy's wings. The outer edges look vaguely like coastline (perhaps the "wings" of the harbor mouth?) but again, don't quite match up. The inner sections look a little like cobble-stone streets (Chalmers street?) but again nothing quite matches. For a while I thought I could get them to match up with Shute's Folly Island / Castle Pinckney (what a great location to bury something!) but again, doesn't quite fit (and what other landmarks would be on Castle Pinckney to triangulate off of?)

3) The pine branch, and 4) the pear -- are these connected? A rebus of some kind? All I can come up with is "hey, sometimes pears look like apples, pineapple? Pineapples are all over Charleston!" but that's a huge stretch it seems. And there's only one really striking Pineapple landmark in Charleston, the pineapple fountain in waterfront park, and that wasn't built till the '90s.

EDIT: Doing searches on Google maps, I don't turn up any pear or pine streets in Charleston (though there's a pear street out in Hollywood it's not near anything significant). There's an Evergreen street out west ashley but it's just a modern suburban neighborhood.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BJG posted:

The Pear could be Pearman bridge and/or a hint at the South Carolina flag, with a crescent in the shadow:

Hrrrmmm. If the Pear is (was) the Pearman bridge, it's gone now. Maybe the pine branch is actually a road or river map with the pear marking where the bridge connects/crosses it?

I also wondered if the butterfly fair wings were a reference to the butterfly pond out at Middleton PLace but again doesn't fit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PunkNickel posted:

If you look at allta's post on page 26, the "summary post" for this cask, this has been addressed. Orange_Lazarus provided a map that shows a very similar/matching water way with the pattern on the lions head.

e: gave credit to the goon who posted the watermap/lions head

I think the post you're referencing is about the pattern on the mask, not the pattern on the lions' forehead. The pattern on the mask is a 100% match with the Charleston peninsula, it's what nails that as the Charleston image.

Only idea so far for the lion-forehead is a map of the Holy Roman Empire and that just doesn't seem to match up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Tjadeth posted:

I quite like this theory for the purpose of the daisy. The pear could represent something else, but if you put any more on the daisy, it'll be pulling triple-shift as a stand-in palm tree, a birth flower, and a third piece of symbolism.

Oh wow, daisy-as-palmetto works really well, I hadn't put that together till you said. Could be another sign pointing towards Ft. Moultrie & the palmetto logs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

My main issue with the pear/SC flag tree thing is that it doesn't necessarily tell us anything new if it IS true (unless it's really abstractly pointing to Fort Moultrie, which I am willing to keep as a possibility). We know it's in Charleston, SC. I feel like it's much more likely that it means something just as you said: in conjunction with the pine and probably the daisy as well.

Looking back at the verses, I did realize that Verse 5, which has the very strong Citadel call out, could also reference the SC flag. The "single standing member of a forest" would be a tree, and what most famously has one tree but the flag itself? Could indicate a place where the flag would fly (like a fort or government building).

I buy that the daisy is a Palmetto tree, though mostly because I think it's reinforcing Fort Moultrie as the site (with a possible secondary reference to the Sergeant Jasper monument in White Point Gardens, though that's a Huuuuge stretch and unlikely imho). I don't really buy that the pear is the crescent, I think it's more likely a part of some kind of rebus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The Charleston Aquarium wasn't completed till well after the date of the book. The Angel Oak might be worth looking at in more detail but the real problem is there's nothing there except Oak Tree, no other markers or statues or anything to serve as landmarks or reference points for the other dates in the verse.

Not buying the flounder image personally but it's as good a guess as anything I've come up with (cobblestones?)

I think the pear must be a rebus of some kind. Pair of . . . ?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bloke posted:

Haha I can't believe we had the new orleans so wrong, it's audobon park/zoo. And it's definitely verse 7, I'm still working on it but will post later.

This is like the Fermat's Last Theorem for this thread, isn't it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

There is Slave Mart Museum, which is in an old slave mart building. Not sure if it was a museum when this book was written or not.

It's been a museum for forever but I think it was closed during most of the 80's (could be wrong). There's not really a park nearby or anywhere that's an obvious place to bury stuff.

My bet is that it's near the "white stone" with the 3 and the inverted 2 in Fort Moultrie.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

You might be able to speak to this: I was just reading an article that mentioned the Battery area has a bit of a lion theme going on, with lion statues, lion heads covering earthquake bolts, and lion faces in iron fences. Do you know if this is the case? Might be a big clue.

Eh, sortof. It's probably worth having someone wander around downtown with a camera and photograph anything they see that's vaguely lion shaped. There are a few houses etc. that have lion statues but I'm not sure anything that's coherent enough to be an obvious clue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, my guess is the writer just traveled to Montreal and was looking for distinctive landmarks, and the legeater is pretty distinctive.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bonestructure posted:

Cask 2 - Charleston, SC

This is what the geodetic triangulation marker looks like.

I put a blue star on the Battery map to show its location. You can also go to the location (though you land a couple of feet off) in Google street view: http://goo.gl/maps/yNFNw

Standing on the top of the seawall at the spot of the marker and looking toward the park, you see this. The Fort Sumter statue is just to the left out of the shot. The statue of General Moultrie you see in the picture is on the same spot where the USS Maine's capstan stood in the 1980s. The "white house" is off to the right.

High Battery is just that, it's about six feet high. It is also about six feet wide and is flagged with slate to make a promenade on top of the wall. The marker is on the water side of the wall at the edge of the promenade, embedded in the concrete surrounding the flagstones. The picture was taken while standing on top of High Battery on the promenade at the spot where the marker is embedded. The gentleman in the blue shirt is standing at street level in the planting bed. I plan to set a plumb line on top of the geodetic marker and run the string across the wall to drop down into the approximately 5-foot-wide planting bed that is between the wall of High Battery and the street. I'll then set markers for a foot on each side of the plumb line, which will give me an area approximately 2'x5' to dig in.

The spot I'm going to dig looks like this. It's hard-packed sand but it loosens when water is poured on it (and there's plenty of water handy :) I just have to bring a bucket.)

The logic for choosing this spot: I am assuming that the verse is not a series of descriptors of one spot, but more a set of directions to get you to the casque's location. So the first part gives a general indicator for WPG, with the verse that paraphrases the opening of Treasure Island (a story about pirates) to point you to a location with a strong pirate association, then the bandstand (stand and listen), the Hunley marker with its fountains (cool clear sound of water), the Simms statue (harken to the words), the Jasper Revolutionary War monument (freedom at the birth of a century), the Maine capstan (May 1913, the date the Maine capstan was given to Charleston, that date appeared on a plaque on the capstan's pedestal), and the actual pirate monument (on the 8th a scene etc.) This gets you to the east end of the park. The location then narrows down with "Between two arms extended" (stand in the area between the pointing arms of the Jasper and Sumter statues, facing the Battery and the harbor), below the bar that binds (the "bar that binds" is the Battery itself, below it is the planting bed), beside the long palm's shadow (there is a tall palmetto there, and I think Preiss wrote the clue to specify the shadow, not the palm itself, because the casque is technically outside of the park proper), embedded in the sand (the sand-filled planting bed, because the only other major areas of sand in WPG are the walking paths and I tested them, they are hard-packed like cement and tremendously difficult to dig in.) Preiss is being very specific here: the box is in sand, not soil, and the curious word choice, "embedded", hints at the planting bed. Finally "white house close at hand", the large white mansion of 2 S Battery is in direct line of sight from the spot, about forty feet away.

My logic for choosing the geodetic marker is a bit shakier; I am going by the coordinate numbers in the lion's mane (the geodetic marker is registered with the USGS using that latitude and longitude), because the marker is a triangulation marker and the Fort Sumter mask's string forms a triangle, and because the marker is directly in front of you when following the verse as I've laid out above. It's a hunch, essentially. :) I keep asking myself, well, if it is the marker, wouldn't Preiss have included some disguised version of the marker in the image? I don't think so, because that would be too big of a clue. A verse all about WPG, a visual that looks like the geodetic marker, bam, you dig there. It would be too easily solvable, he had to leave the marker out of the image. Or so I keep telling myself. You were right in your earlier post, confirmation bias is a real stumbling block here. But I think this has as good a chance as most theories, so I'm going with it.

McInery, did you ever get a chance to look at that little war memorial on Sullivan's Island? (BJG's theory.)

Nice!

If this works, I'm totally taking credit for pointing out that "arms" could have meant between two arms of two different statues at WPG.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
For flowers, check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_of_flowers

I'd always heard it as "shrinking violet" though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I really doubt it's at Fort Sumter itself if only because getting out to the fort outside of daylight hours is really difficult and it seems Preiss generally buried the casques covertly.

At this point the White Point Gardens theories have a lot of merit and I think there's still some decent arguments for Fort Moultrie also.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The issue is that it's not clear Preiss got permission for any of his digs. Unfortunately though anyone retrieving the treasure and then publicizing that fact would have to worry about the consequences of digging without permission in a way that Preiss didn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
AT this point I suspect the limiting factor is more restrictions on ability and willingness to dig than anything else. There are plenty of theories, and there are only so many public parks in each of these towns. The problem is people don't want to get arrested for ravaging a historical site with a shovel, can't get permission from park maintenance, live in the wrong city and can't get there to dig, or the park in question is gone now or so wildly remodeled that digging would be pointless.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SquadronROE posted:

Holy cow, this is amazing. I live very close to Charleston so I think I'm going to take a look at that possible one a lot closer. Is the information in the OP and 2nd post still pretty accurate for where we stand?

I'm gonna take a look at the Wiki now to make sure.

Somewhere around the middle of the thread there's a really, really strong White Point Gardens theory, and there's a decent theory for for moultrie also. Problem is digging in either of those areas is a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SheepNameKiller posted:

It's not ADD, it's the lack of the ability for people to go out and confirm if any of our ideas are at all correct. Between legal concerns, 40 years worth of construction, and lack of goon motivation, we're just throwing theories out and in many cases have no way of confirming them.

Yeah, the sad thing about this thread is that I think people have probably figured out a lot of the locations long ago but dude committed a bunch of probable felonies burying the things in restricted locations and nobody wants to risk digging them up.