Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
This just has me excited beyond words. I'll be checking out the St. Augustine riddle myself within the coming weeks. (even if I have no idea what the riddle or corresponding picture actually represent :shrug: )

e:
I'm pretty sure this might be tied to Ponce de Leon and The Fountain of Youth, so in keeping up with the park suggestion I'll be hitting up the Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park first.

Wiki for a little bit of info.

Way Strong Pimphand fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
So this thread has officially eaten up a majority of my night, but I think I may have finally gotten somewhere with Cask #6.

According to the wiki, the coordinates within the image seem to be placed at 41 or 44 and 82 or 83. These coordinates don't exactly lead to anything significant. I analyzed the picture a bit more and, for me, the coordinates seem to place the cask somewhere in the Florida Keys at 24, 83. More specifically the coordinates lead to Dry Tortugas National Park which, shockingly enough, was first discovered by Ponce de Leon. People can't seem to disassociate de Leon with St. Augustine, which I'm assuming is why people think the cask is hidden somewhere in that area.

The verse containing information about water most likely references the park's nature, which is comprised primarily of water. According to the wiki, the park has been heavily associated with sunken treasure. And drat that tree in the picture can be found everywhere in official park photos.

http://www.nps.gov/akr/photosmultimedia/photogallery.htm?id=89404A1F-1DD8-B71C-07C25C8631876288

And while I might be going mad, seeing as it's 4 AM and I'm analyzing a 30 year old buried treasure map, I swear it looks like a turtle and tern appear within the image as well. (both of which are tied to regional wildlife)

Stars move by day
Sails pass by night

Could this be referencing transportation to and from the island? During the daytime: planes (stars move by day) and at night: boats. (sails pass by night) I LITERALLY HAVE NO loving IDEA

I'll work on this more tomorrow. :effort:

Way Strong Pimphand fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 31, 2013

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

Hot Dog Day #98 posted:

Same, came here to point that out as well. While it would be nice because Clearwater is closer, it is more than likely St. Augustine because of the conquistador.

I still think it's Dry Tortugas. :colbert: Key West goon meet! ... :smith:

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

TShields posted:

I'm wondering how many of these got obliterated in some sort of construction endeavor, or were found long ago and nobody had any idea what they were.

I was literally thinking the exact same thing. I'm sure some kid, somewhere, was all :psyduck: thanks to this book.

While they might be tough to find, they're probably buried right next to noticeable landmarks and I'm sure at least one curious mind has accidentally dug up a cask or two by now.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

Fistgrrl posted:

It's not been getting much play, but St. Augustine seems like the park is confirmed. It's marketed as an "archaelogist" park. I wonder if anyone's called the park and asked about digging for this treasure. Seems like it would be good PR for the park. :)

Verse 9
The first chapter
Written in water
Near men
With wind rose
Behind bending branches
And a green picket fence
At the base of a tall tree
You can still hear the honking
Shell, limestone, silver, salt
Stars move by day
Sails pass by night
Even in darkness
Like moonlight in teardrops
Over the tall grass
Years pass, rain falls.

From the tweleve.org forums, proof:

- SELOY (the village of Seloy) as is the word formed by the first letter of the last five lines of Verse 9
- Is surrounded by a green picket fence
- Has a sign at the the entrance that says The First Chapter
- Has a marquee for an exhibit that says "shell, limestone" and another "silver, salt"
- Has an actual Wind Rose, sign saying wind rose and subsequent exhibt.
- Has a statue that looks very much like the man on the horse (actually, more than one in the park).
- Has a sign in the park depicting the coastal outine of the park that matches the face in the Image 6 rock hill almost exactly.
- Has signs nearby matching the arrowhead outline of Lower Right blue hue section of the image.
- Has many lone palm trees about the property (ambiguous)

Here's the sign at the entrance:

I know I made a Dry Tortugas prediction, but a few of us are checking out the park next week. I wonder if any workers in the park have any information about it since the park has always been private property with a small entrance fee.

Way Strong Pimphand fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

NO
Nothing jumped out at me, but if you're familiar with the area, it can't hurt to go over this list and see if something for Ace makes sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_(disambiguation)

If they are, the one on the left is Anglo Saxon and the one on the right is either mirrored or Younger Futhark.

Google Earth only has back to 1994, but the coastline has change somewhat. Maybe someone can find a map from ~1980 and compare it?

I've been going as far back as I could on Google Earth and anywhere else I can find like NYCityMaps, if I'm in the group that meets in NYC, my first stop will be the public library to check out historical maps.

I think this further proves the coastline theory, the 1994 outline looks even closer to the image than the 2013 scan. Some of the connections people are making from the photo are a bit out there, but they all provide evidence to a single location: the Fountain of Youth Park. Regarding the tree, I believe the tree in the painting and the tree mentioned in the verse are one in the same. In fact, there's a few palm trees on the right side of the coastline that seemed singled out and might be worth looking into.

And as far as numbers are concerned, the base of a tree is circular, much like a clock. Perhaps the '2' (in the rocks) represents the location of the cask in correspondence with the number '2' on a clock.

But again, I really have no idea at this point. :v: