Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MassaShowtime posted:

I'm pretty sure the Montreal one is somewhere in Fletcher's Field or at the base of Mount Royal if its paired with Verse 2. The image has the Montreal Flower in it, refers to Pie IX station (the square with PX1), and if you count that to the end of the green line (21 stops) you get off basically at Mount Royal. The Mount Stephen club has the same weird statue as on the pope dude as well which is right outside the same station. The three stand watch could refer to the three peaks, and the sound of friends in the afternoon would be the tam tam players that surround the George Etienne Cartier statue. The palace could refer to the Crystal Palace that was in Fletcher's Field. I just can't figure out what the gnomes and fays are about but its been a while since I've been there.

not really possible for the 21 stop thing as you need to transfer at berri for that and technically it can go in any direction. the gnomes thing might have something to do with la parc olympique or botanical gardens, who had a gnomes display in 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

im sure this has been mentioned but somebody needs to run off this for cask 9.

the dude's neck is st.joseph's oratory. to shape and form. in mont royal park, which has three statues at its base.

the numbers are most likely the paces to take from the stairs. what are the numbers hidden in the picture?

also, st.josephs is known for devotees stopping and praying on their knees at each step. fifteen hail mary's to one our father (yay catholic alterboy upbringing! )

so mtl goons, thoughts?

two edits: upside down neck= go south from the oratory
2) how many stairs are there to get to the basilica?

stab fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Dive Kick posted:

I feel like we are awfully close to the Montreal Cask, it seemed like a few of the theories earlier on in the thread showed promise. While I suck at riddles, perhaps we should focus a bit more attention back in that direction. As well, it seems as though a few times the author has spoken and given vague clues. Are we sure the ones we have discussed (mainly that the ethnicity of the image relates to the spot)are the only relevant clues?

yeah if somebody can blow up and identify stuff for the montreal picture it would help. the around stjoseph thing is screaming at me

stab
Feb 12, 2003

okay somebody please blow up cask 9.

the flower has a finger or a music note.

the lapel has an x an inverted p and a weird 1.

that can stand for pie ix as discussed before, or my tired observation, what if that reverse p has somethinf to do with Euclidean geometry. or x marks the spot?

or if the p isnt a p but rather a flag? flag+1= formula 1...which races on ile ste helene...one massive park....

also, I cant find any numbers unlike the other casks, but im guessing the hair has something to do with it.

and did anybody count the amount of squares in his shirt? and run long/ lat off the answer?

I count 30 and 35

do those numbers appear anywhere?

a: gently caress yes, both are in the long/lat for montreal.

now can I get some help hahaha?

and that dog looking thing has three different clues, but I cant make them out...

stab fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 5, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Imazul posted:

Pie IX is a street that pretty much cross Montreal completely from South to North. It's also a metro station on the green line that is neat the Olympic Park. It's nowhere near the legeater statue though.

which is the metro that connects to the Olympic stadium, which opened in 1976

there a 76? anywhere in the picture? :)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

PunkNickel posted:

Cask 9

If we go with runes, the P rune (wunja) is: W, V, (which means joy, success, recognition and contentment).

The closest rune for the other(upside down inverted L?)rune is T. I am unable to find any associations with it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q3s1bfXOkXc/TsVo7u2UfpI/AAAAAAAAACc/uJoBIiQs3YA/s1600/RuneMeanings.jpg
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U16A0.pdf

I'm working on the overlay for Montreal. Can anyone tell me what the official name of the "legeater" statue is?

e: found the other rune

So, in short if they are ruins they are W, T.

oh gently caress

w= world
t= tomorrow

that was the name of the exhibit that famously burned down and you guys can see when you watch the f1 race this weekend (the ball that looks like epcot):greatgift:

edit: just spoke to my dad and hes corrected me. world of tomorrow was also the theme of the new york expo and that was the working title of the usa pavillion

stab fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 6, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

stab posted:

oh gently caress

w= world
t= tomorrow

that was the name of the exhibit that famously burned down and you guys can see when you watch the f1 race this weekend (the ball that looks like epcot):greatgift:

oh shittttt

guys read the wikipedia page for expo 67 right now.

look at the picture of the habitat 67 building :psyduck: across from the port of montreal on ile ste helene

and there's the botanical events of the 1980's on that island...can we research what type of flower he's wearing?

stab fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 6, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Rick Deckard posted:

Montreal

Checkered pattern is prominent.
1) The hyatt hotel exterior is completely checker patterned.
2) The hotel is close by to the Leg Eater statue.
3) The hyatt hotel was built in 1976, before the puzzle was created. (Source for this is the hotel manager. I e-mailed them)

1)

Star on top rightis the hotel.
Star on bottom left is the leg eater.
2)

Is this the hotel where he stay?

oh my god I work a street away from the legeater..im going to check it out on my next shift on Sunday and report back

and ive passed by this place a hundred times and never noticed the statue...curse you cultural city! :argh:

stab fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 7, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Phony Username posted:

MONTREAL!!

I discovered this thread last night and I was very excited at first when I saw there is supposed to be one buried in Montréal. However I felt a little bit discouraged when the OP said it was one of the hardest of the puzzle.... Anyways, I read this thread until 3:00 AM last night (oh god I'm so tired right now!) and spent a lot of time in the last 24 hours thinking about this (the cask 9 image and the verse 2). I've made a lot of possible connections and even started my own theory. I'm planning a very long post with lot of pictures later on when I'll have more time. However, all I'll say right now is that I'm really tempted to think the treasure might be buried near the Olympic Stadium, more precisely in the so called "Esplanade", located at the corner of Pie-IX and Sherbrooke. If I'm motivated enough, I'll be planning a field trip over there this week-end to investigate on my theory. As the Olympic Park is a mere 15 minutes walk from where I live, it shouldn't be too hard for me.

I wasn't planning to post in this thread until I've read it all. I'm now at page 25, but I HAD to comment on this post below :

Very very good catch here! It's CLEARLY a reference to Expo 67. Even the FONT of the numbers match (just GIS Expo 67)! I spent some time wondering what the hell this thing in the flower might be. Now, after what you've said, I cannot unsee the 67! Also, don't forget that 67 can also be 76, which is the year of the Olympics!

I realised earlier today that the blocky black figure just under the dog-legged statue thing might be a reference to Habitat 67:

More should come later!

yeah thanks for confirming what I posted like 3 pages ago :) but the verse is hard to crack

stab
Feb 12, 2003

can somebody blow up the right side of cask 9? specifically to the right of his hair...there's something there, much lighter than the rest of the background shading...also edit again: is the usa expo 67 display visible in the background of habitat 67? a picture where they align over each other somewhere?

stab fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 8, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Devyl posted:

Original:

Contrasted:

Inverted original:

Contrasted inverted:

Even if it's nothing to do with the location, it's still pretty creepy.

thanks! have we done this exercise with all of cask 9? with our markings and all....

stab
Feb 12, 2003

god if it is on ile ste helene, the odds of it being still there with all the demo and renovations there is like zero :(...I mean there's what like 150 000 people on foot there thia weekend? :(

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Merlot Brougham posted:

Cask 9 - Montreal, Verse 2

I have little more on the Place des nations and verse 2. I think it generally fits into the spirit of using the image to get you to the general location and the verse to guide you in specifically.

I think the legeater is the direct reference to Montreal, just as the outline of the state of Ohio for the Cleveland cask. Knowing that, we can begin to make sense of the other imagery that points us toward the 67 Expo. I'm sold on his hat being an outline of St. Helen's Island, especially after looking at some of the official maps printed for the Expo. The island has changed throughout the years, but you can even start matching up some of the distinct bumps on the right side of his hat to St Helen's Island. I imagine they printed a shitload of maps for the Expo, and it's not a stretch that the author would have used official Expo material

On the Western end of the island, you have the Calder sculpture, the lake, and the Place des nations. If you follow by matching locations with the image you get:

The legeater - A clue to get us to Montreal.
The 67 - a clue that the cask is in Montreal in an area related to the expo.
The checkerboard - Racing reference to the course on Notre Dame Island, which was also an Expo island. (Has the outline of the course changed over the years?)
The Hat - St. Helen's Island, an Expo island.
Netherlands Theme - The Netherlands pavilion.
Hands and nose - Calder's initials and the sculpture.
The neck outline - Swan Lake on St. Helen Island.
The "stairs" blow his neckline - Place des nations pavillion
The Runes - The logo for the 67 Montreal Expo, which are in the design at the Place des nations.

Putting these on the map, you get:

At the place where jewels abound - The place where the cask is has...
Fifteen rows down to the ground - 15 wide rows from top to ground
In the middle of twenty-one - 21 stairs on each side of the rows
From end to end - The length of the grandstand
Only three stand watch - Three sets of stands
As the sound of friends - Expo logo represents "Friendship Around the world" according to the official guidebook
Fills the afternoon hours - Around the world
Here is a sovereign people - Place des nations
Who build palaces to shelter - The awnings at the Place des nations?
Their heads for a night! - The logos are people, their heads pointing the direction?
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
- The expo logo is made up of the earliest known drawings of a human, interlocked, and then duplicated in a circle
Near this site. - Near the Expo logo

The Place des nations:

the race course hasnt changed a bit.

also crazy thing I just noticed (can google maps confirm?) but there looks to be four ridges near the top of the dudes hat. can those ridges not be a mountain, but actually the outline of "le monstre" (its the wooden rollercoaster at La Ronde) and is still there to this day (and its an awesome coaster too! :) )

edit: cause if that theory works; another thing to transpose but if we use the dudes head as a map will give us compass bearings, just like that awesome theory for new orleans on this page (if I were a N.O goon id be running there imo)

stab fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

CronoGamer posted:

I like what you have so far with St. Helen's Island and definitely find it intriguing. But I think you're in error here in this picture. Look again at the sigil, specifically at the P part of it. The P you're pulling from the Expo logo is different from the P on the gnome's badge. His P is like a backwards 4, with the angle on the right being like 45 degrees. Yours looks much more like a P and the angle is (roughly) twice as large. I had thought I'd seen the rune-shapes in a few other places around Montreal but you have to be careful on seeing it correctly.

I'm also not sure I agree with the legeater being a general symbol of Montreal. How famous could it be? I think the general-outline map of Ohio, or the silhouette of the tower/use of the Chicago water tower in the windmill are certainly examples of well-known established landmarks being used for general location, but the legeater isn't the kind of thing someone could recognize and go "hey, it's Montreal!", is it?

I never noticed it or heard of it and I work a street away from it fwiw. buuutttt its around an anglo institution that was known to cater to the elite, the bourgeoisie and the writers so again it might have definetely been something that caught the authors eyes...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MassaShowtime posted:

Le Monstre wasn't built until 85.

yup, youre right. google map if we can see mount royal from any of the four directions?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

so im at mount stephens house now... let me get home and ill upload the pictures I took. fyi there are six legeaters and what looks to be the flower in that cask pic is plastered all over the building (goons will correct me if im wrong) give me ten hours or so...

edit: personal note, after seeing it in person, I feel we can rule out st.louis beyond a shadow of a doubt...

stab fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, my guess is the writer just traveled to Montreal and was looking for distinctive landmarks, and the legeater is pretty distinctive.

they are not as distinctive as you think, they are super tiny and I can see why I never noticed them before

stab
Feb 12, 2003

did i say ten hours? i meant ten minutes!

load of pics incoming!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

I work in the sunlife building fyi.

I checked out both squares. marie reine du mondes dome is directly across from the mcdonald statue, and theres three statues there as well. its a block and a half away from the legeaters.

there is also a flowerbed identical to the cleveland find in the square. but I cant find anything that lines up with the verses. ...

ohh and all the tiles on the ground match the checkerbox pattern...

stab fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

some pics of dorchester square

the interesting one is the fountain...look at the hollow part of it and compare it to the hat.

as well, its part of a statue of a lion lying down, dedicated to her SOVEREIGN queen victoria...does that fit a verse?

thanks tia

stab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MassaShowtime posted:

Cool pics, but that info on the plaque that adds to 15 won't help since a lot of those buildings were built after '81-'82 and the plaque itself is from 2004.

tell you the truth i didnt even notice that! :psyduck:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Guuse posted:

Verse 2 has

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

The "palaces" could point to her being a Queen I suppose. Was she the Queen that granted Canada it's independence? If so then "sovereign" could refer both to her and the newly independent Canada.

Do either of the churches by Place du Canada have a bell tower? I'm wondering if maybe that would match the "sounds from the sky" in Verse 7. It kind of looks like St. George's does, but I can't tell for sure. It looks like there's a series of Xs on the roof of St. George's, too.

It would be pretty amazing if you ran across a series of dark bricks in the ground that matched the geometric shape in the square with the legeater.

Also, do you have any idea when the building across the street from the George Stephens Club was built?

its the YMCA across the street, and according to their website they moved there in 1911.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

id kill for somebody to break down the mtl picture, the ones on the net reference st.louis in them...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Merlot Brougham posted:

Montreal
(Probably not Verse 2)

Do we have any real consensus on the symbolism beyond the actual legeater itself?

After learning the New Orleans connection to verse 2, I'm sold we need to try and match another verse, and see how the others may or may not align with some of the proposed areas.

Of course it makes everything I said earlier in the thread about the Place du nations relatively meaningless.

I like the Trafalgar school image:

ok bear with me, this is a stretch and a half but it's kinda cool imo

I wiki'ed trafalgar SQUARE (the square in the px thing gave me the idea)

this is a description that shot out at me:

On the north side of the square is the National Gallery and to its east St Martin-in-the-Fields church. The square adjoins The Mall entered through Admiralty Arch to the southwest. To the south is Whitehall, to the east Strand and South Africa House, to the north Charing Cross Road and on the west side Canada House.

to the north we have the church (du monde basilica, which matches the neckline), to the south we have the monument for canada in the Boer war, fought in south africa, to the west we have the john a macdonald statue, the founder of confederacy, and to the south, we have a big rear end white building (the sunlife building). education and justice? we have sir wilfred laurier monument, the founder of our school system. justice? the queen victoria monument of course.

oh and this to say about canada house: Canada House (French: Maison du Canada) is a Greek Revival building on Trafalgar Square in London that is part of the High Commission of Canada in London. Canada House hosts the cultural and consular sections of the High Commission, while the political, trade and administrative functions are carried out from Macdonald House in Mayfair

oh and last thing, the lion i spoke about with the victoria monument is in the SAME position as the lion in trafalgar square at the base of Nelson's statue.

one hell of a stretch, but eh, why not?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

if we go north past the church door, it brings us to the second park where macdonald is. what about giant pole giant step? thats what is bugging me, was there or is there a giant pole there? im guessing veres 7 is very close based off the last observations...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Merlot Brougham posted:

Montreal

Such as the Boer War statue.

Has anyone considered comparing the horse's legs on the Boer War statue to the guy's fingers in the image?

god drat how did I miss that connection.
read the wikipedia page (can somebody copy paste for me im on my phone) the section on the five memorials forming a cross? (go to the boer war memorial page)
can somebody google earth the memorials and form a cross for us? and more importantly, where do the five memorials intersect (ie the middle of the cross)?

also bad news, tons of renos in 2009 in this park where they uprooted everything...so if by magic the cask was here, the odds of it surviving the renos are super low :(

stab
Feb 12, 2003

anybody feel like checking montreal's city archives? I was just told by a friens who works for the city that they photograph every 5 years all landmarks :)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Guuse posted:

Huh. It turns out that the Boer War was an "object of Twain's attention," too.

"I talk the war with both sides - always waiting until the other man introduces the topic. Then I say, 'My head is with the British, but my heart and such rags of morals as I have are with the Boer - now we will talk unembarrassed and without prejudice.' And so we discuss and have no trouble."

The Lion of Belfort monument that's associated with Victoria/the British is just east of the Boer War monument in the park, right? Maybe it's between the two? Or like you say, where the horse is pointing?

I don't think the legs match the fingers, but maybe it's just the angle I'm seeing in pictures. It looks like there are bronze reliefs on the base of the statue. It would be neat to get photos of those and see if we can make matches from those.

I think Burns, Boer and Belfort form one line of the cross, and Laurier, Boer and the kiosk form the other. Were they that way in 1982? So Boer in the middle I guess.

with better weather ill take requests for anything in the square. so ask specifics and ill try to get them in to you guys for friday.

rule out the checkerboard tiles folks, those were installed in 2009. :(

and in that square alone, that is the correct formation, with macdonald on the other side of the street across from marie reine du monde.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Why? It's not even Russian, it's Ukrainian. If you really want more pictures of it ill take some tomorrow, I pass it on my way to work.

For NYC goons, it's across the street from McSorleys.

not like It means much, but wasnt ukraine part of the ussr (russia) in 1982?
:eng101:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Montreal (crapload o'pics)

so i took a bunch of pics from dorchester square

yes, i missed a giant loving flagpole my first time by, some explorer i am.

the steps is the closest ones to the flagpole

the seagull directed me to where the cask might be

i think it's under the squirrel!

also, can somebody run the names from the queen victoria lion statue and tell me if they mean anything?

thanks talk away...lots of these pics mean nothing but its a batch upload to help you guys out. also fyi, marie reine du monde and st.george's church are a street apart, i never even knew that! can somebody research to see if st.george's has a belltower? it has a spire but that could mean anything... also, i couldnt find the wooden door at marie reine du monde and there was a turkish protest (wtf) outside the church so didnt feel like going around there too much. also if you count the posts and the doors of the sunlife building, theres 21 of them but i put zero stock in that.

and theres always a ton of people there fyi

stab
Feb 12, 2003

umm also can somebody blow up the X in cask 9? what if the x is actually roads or paths intersecting? theres a circle im seeing in the thicker pat of the x... could that be the where to dig clue?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

yeah the canons are right next to the macdonald statue, didn't take a pic of them because I didn't really see the relevance of them. (yet I did of a squirrel taking a dump)

stab
Feb 12, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

I've gone over street maps and historical imagery as far back as I can for NYC and just about every city in the US with a significant Russian-American population; I haven't found anything past a vague resemblance, especially going on the assumption that the irregularities in the panels behind the bird are significant.

No idea why it would be outside the church, but this is why
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552249

Yes, it's been discussed repeatedly.

oh im very aware of the trouble in Turkey, I was just confused on their choice of location!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

rookhunter posted:

Im sorry I should explain. That backyard is the parking to the former Mount Stephen Club.
The Long/Latitude led us to Montreal. The legeater lamp was found to match the one infront of that club. There are no others we could find. There are "X"s on the adjacent buildings that match the image. The slender path leads behind the club where "cars abound".
The whirring sound is the airconditioner unit you would only be able to hear in summer. The middle of the "V" refers to the thin plots of land used as planters surrounding the parking lot.

yeahhhhhh going to need more than that or something a tad more specific.

fyi I work two minutes from mount stephen. also, what verse are you using? what images match? etc etc

stab
Feb 12, 2003

tell me what you want pics of, ive posted over a hundree in this thread...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

rookhunter posted:

Pictures of the parking lot behind the Mount stephen club. Pictures of the planters might help my theory. :D

ill try. the area is closed since 2010 and its under heavy renovations so no promises as I have to enter a construction zone

stab
Feb 12, 2003

were the cannons used to take down airplanes in a war?

sounds from th le sky, ace is high makes me keep thinking of planes....curse you Iron Maiden (the song "aces high") deals with planes during war.....

I got nothin'

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Ive posted angles of the legeater multiple times in the thread. Go look for my batch pics for montreal, its in there...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Ceciltron posted:

I don't know if they were there before, in 82, because they aren't there right now.

I keep seeing the cathedral, from the back, but it's attached to the rectory, so I'm not sure anymore.

edit (again)

poo poo, looks like the oratory

No, they are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Since no one commented before, I'm just going to repeat and add something:

The majority of the population of Montreal speaks French. The book was printed in English. Was it even released in Canada?

If it was not released in Canada or in French then Montreal is not going to be one of the cities. There is not going to be a cask in a city where no one had access to the book.

Fifty four percent of montreal considers english their first language .

Its okay, us anglo montrealers are used to that.