Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Been meaning to dive into this band for a long time but never did, came upon this thread (a bit late to the party) and have recently been working my way through Filth, Cop and Greed. It's an enjoyable slog but I'm also definitely looking forward to reaching the new albums that you folks sound so keen on.

Also I saw Built to Spill at Music Hall of Williamsburg the other night and learned that I had missed Swans the night before. Dangit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait. Am I year late?

No reason not to dive in. I made my own schedule and am up to Love of Life and it's goin great.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

El Miguel posted:

That was the first thing I ever heard by them - I caught the video on 120 Minutes one night, and it was revelatory.

Revelatory is right. It's pretty weird listening to their stuff and having these weird deja vu moments where they'll recall my favorite bands (Godspeed, NIN, Mogwai, Radiohead, MBV etc.), often at the most unexpected moments.

I can appreciate the earliest stuff, and I understand why Burning World is the unwanted misfit album, but regardless working through them chronologically I've really enjoyed each more than the last.

Real curious to see whether that trend holds or if the middle period will stay my favorite in the end. The fact that I've been working through Swans for weeks and have yet to scratch their no fewer than three massive double studio album works is baffling / humbling / amazing.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Combined with Bring the Sun I think. It was rad.

Although, this was also the Swans show (third in as many years) where I started to realize that the rhythm section and Thor are doing about 90 percent of the work, with a whole lot of apparent overlap in the guitars/lap steel. Westberg seems like more of a grizzled old mascot than anything else.

Haven't been following them that long so not sure if that's new, and I don't necessarily mean it as a criticism in any case. Basically the previous times I've seen them it was with some distance and they felt like an otherworldly monolith of sound. This time I was close with a good viewing angle and I feel like I've peeked behind the curtain a bit and realized they're just a band.

Decades fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 30, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Today I realized that Ted DiBiase's entrance theme played at half speed = A Screw

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah specifically requesting of someone that they never have sex with you is a pretty strange way to think of these things. As far as the actual incident of assault goes, it sounds like they're both telling legitimate versions of the truth, and that it was more a weird drunken at least partially mutual mistake or miscommunication, more than something calculated or actively malicious.

The accusations that Grimm has made about the ongoing relationship being predatory and exploitative are more upsetting to me at this point, but as some have mentioned the specifics sound pretty out of character for Gira. I'm sure again that there's truth to both sides, but I have a hard time swallowing Gira as a cartoonish music industry villain telling Grimm "Stick with me kid and I'll make you a star" as he lowers his thousand dollar sunglasses and slinks his arm around her. It sounds like they had a complex relationship.

The bit about Grimm getting cut from the label shortly after this sounds damning, but I also keep hearing that the majority of the Young God roster was cut around the same time. I wasn't paying attention at the time. Anyone know the full story on that?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Ok all the talk of this seeming "out of character" for Gira needs to stop unless you have spent a considerable amount of time with him, yeah?

I see your point, though I did say "sounds" rather than "was", it's maybe more of a question of language than character. The quote Grimm uses even with no context sounds more like something from a biased account than something a person would literally say to another person without irony. I'm sure Gira's account has a degree of bias too, it's how these things go. I believe Grimm and mostly agree with her ideas and admire her apparent intentions.

It sounds like Gira, regardless of how exactly it was initiated, had sex with someone who he should've known wouldn't have had sex with him sober. It's obvious that that was wrong, because both accounts agree that Gira acknowledged as much and stopped. We could argue about definitions of assault and consent - I'd be reluctant to call him a rapist over this.

The important practical question we should each ask ourselves is in situations like this is whether it's right to continue supporting the artist. Bowie arranged coke fueled threesomes with intoxicated minors and I still bought Blackstar. Whatever Gira did falls well short of the Bowie line, so this is basically a wash for me in that sense. We could still talk about whether or not he's a lovely person. Safe to say he's flawed. If this is the worst thing he's ever done then he's lived a better life than I'd have guessed.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
It makes me think about how Johnny Cash is a murderer, David Bowie is a space alien, and Nas is literally Pablo Escobar. Disturbing revelations indeed.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Got my vinyl with the download code but the link doesn't work. Has anyone else been able to download from Young God, or is it just not actually up yet?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I definitely missed Frankie M last time I caught them in NY. Probably related to Thor's absence, which also sucks. Still one of the most interesting bands in the world though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
It's already one of my favorite Swans songs. Encapsulates everything I love about the band in a nice not so concise 20 minutes.

• Locked thread