Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

New tour dates up, tickets for the Chicago show go on sale Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Every song on White Light is boring as gently caress and uses too much reverb except failure.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

im permabanned poster moneystomper58. i first started making music when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "no-wave" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "I see it all" and "Someone less privileged than you should rape you" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "no-wave" style of NY music was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" no-wave to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Beyond sane knolls posted:

The song is good, but that bullshit about kids playing the song is loving incredible. There's no way it's true.

Yeah, it's too obviously Gira singing, and it's not exactly a "lost" track- it's been on Body to Body, Job to Job forever.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Filth: 8.1 new reissue

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like The Body Lovers is criminally underlooked. It's Gira, Jarboe, and co basically continuing the Soundtracks-era noisescapes and drones. Goddamn harrowing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrOCteaZfns

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish Gira still beat the poo poo out of audience members on the reg.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

centaurtainment posted:

One of my friends took me to a Swans show a few years back. I had only ever listened to Your Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky a couple of times when it came out and liked it well enough without having a particularly visceral reaction to it. We went to the show in Boston on The Seer tour and my friend handed me a pair of earplugs when we got there. We smoked a joint and went into the lovely, cramped, dank venue and bought tallboys of PBR. Once the floor was pretty full the lights went down and the band took the stage.

They began with a massive, crushing assault of sound that I could feel reverberating in my diaphragm before stopping for a moment of silence and then issuing forth an even louder, more sustained burst. These were akin to the opening shells of an artillery barrage, and soon the the tubes in the amps were glowing red and Thor was beating a steady crash of symbols into my soul.

After the first song (or maybe it was during a lull, I can't remember) Michael Gira looked up at the booth and yelled something to the effect of "Where's this air coming from?" or "Why is there air blowing on me?". And the venue turned off the weak fan mounted in the center of the ceiling over the front of the crowd that had evidently been distracting Mr. Gira. He then proceeded to lead the band in an unrelenting, awe-inspiring performance that felt like a glorious tour of duty.

That show was the single most intense concert going experience of my life. It held every part of my attention for its entirety. My thoughts were reduced to simple bodily functions like remaining standing and slowly moving away from the stage over the course of the set. I put earplugs in only after a few songs and almost certainly did permanent damage to my ears. That show ruined all other concerts for me; no other band commands your attention so completely and rewards you so greatly for it.

I love their most recent three albums (Bring the Sun is incredible and at times reaches the heights of that live show) but I find time to listen to them all the way through so infrequently that I have never explored beyond those; I still feel like I'm discovering new songs each time I listen to them.

Ok but now listen to Swans are Dead.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Public Castration is a Good Idea would be the greatest live album ever made if not for Swans are Dead.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm a big fan of New Mother and How I Loved You, but as they kept making albums I started to check out of the AoL.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Ok all the talk of this seeming "out of character" for Gira needs to stop unless you have spent a considerable amount of time with him, yeah?

Yeah, the guy that wrote this would offer to make people stars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRnPUhSdA8

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I rate that post an 8.0 on the rape scale.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If this turns out to be true I'm gonna toss all my SWANS stuff except my Public Castration is a Good Idea t-shirt because that will become deliciously ironic.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Bolocko posted:

If you owned a Caravaggio painting would you get rid of it because he murdered someone (while attempting to castrate him)?

You shouldn't joke about that poo poo, I'm the guy he killed.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I asked het to do it a couple days ago but that guy got an anime avatar so I bet he don't understand good jokes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Carmant posted:

drat can't believe Gira is a rapist, just like Conor Oberst.

but not Isaac Brock!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Carmant posted:

I'm going to be honest they should have stopped releasing music in *checks wikipedia page* 1996 and Gira should have killed himself or something to make the old Swans albums even cooler

You're wrong.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Great Annihilator is kinda boring but the songs are all redeemed on Swans Are Dead.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1000942931/where-does-a-body-end-a-documentary-on-the-band-sw
Kickstarter just launched for releasing a documentary about the band, the filming's almost completely done (they're just gonna get footage of their last live show when it happens) withtons of cool rewards designed by Gira.

Molestationary Store posted:

Swans are Dead is one of the missing pieces of my collection, perhaps I should remedy that. Also I totes wanna fight you on the internet for slagging TGA. :toughguy:

I listened to Swans Are Dead first and it's tough to go backwards with the songs getting worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nobody really does what Swans does now because they're insane, but go back in time and listen to Throbbing Gristle, early Sonic Youth, The Contortions, Mars, and a bunch of other No Wave stuff.

• Locked thread