Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Question, does a Surface Pro 3 charger and keyboard work with a 4? I have a broken 3 at home and considering getting the 4 and using the peripherals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah that definitely warrants a return.

Why did you buy a laptop with a 950m, if you don't mind my asking? If it was for games, that was a very poor buy at the moment.

There are a lot of really good laptop deals right now featuring a 950m in the $450-$600 slot (with SSDs on the higher priced). If you'd be happy with Intel graphics and a 950m is literally the same price, it makes sense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The 860m/960m is a solid little GPU if you are looking at mid-power type games (which tend to work better on a laptop anyway). I have a toddler who broke 2 seperate mobile computers (one of which a Surface Pro 3) so I am waiting for him to get a bit more responsible before getting a new one, but I had a 860m on a Lenovo that was plenty powerful. I think the point was even the 860 is significantly better than the 950, but at that low price point it's a good bargain.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

signalnoise posted:

How's the ~gaming laptop~ scene these days for stuff that isn't super high end? I just want to play Blizzard games and I'm going to be starting a job that has a lot of travel.

There were some i5 and i7 laptops with 960ms available for around $700 or less, but none that I can find right now. That would run Blizzard stuff really well, not so much high-end games (which a 1060 absolutely would run, but those are arouns $1300 right now). Its kind of a weird time to buy right now, the next gen GPUs are just hitting the market but not enough of them to cause last gen to be firesaled yet. Combine that with black friday and xmas deals coming up means there isn't much.

I suspect the 960m deals for around $600 might be good values, but that depends on the 1050 and 1050ti prices. For the 960m deals you can check this link now and then.

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...src=SearchBarV2

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

I like big screens, call it a personal quirk if you will.

This is what I'm getting. Just 1,549.95! Reviews for this computer on Amazon and Newegg are great.

Eluktronics P670RP6 Premium VR Ready Gaming Laptop -
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad Core
Windows 10 Home
6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
17.3” Full HD IPS
512GB Performance SSD + 1TB HDD 32GB DDR4 RAM

Do you have a Microcenter near you? Here is basically the same laptop for $350 less.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/471814/Predator_17_G5-793-72AU_173_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A better laptop will likely have better cooling in general. I don't know if that applies to that particular Chinese laptop.

A 1050Ti is a pretty nice laptop GPU for 1080p. You won't necessarily be able to have every graphic option turned on in big, AAA releases, but it's a nice card for mobile.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

joedevola posted:

Has anyone got any experience with buying refurbished laptops through Amazon?

I'm looking to spend 5-700 pounds on something that will last me for at least the next two years, so something with a relatively recent spec processor and decent amount of RAM.

I'm a little unnerved that this seller pretty much admits the price of this unit is wrong because of hacking or something.

What are the odds a refurbished laptop will be some old display unit with a buggered battery?

I'm sorta confused, because the price on that link is ~2000+ pounds. But in general it depends on the seller. This seller isn't Amazon, so take a look at reviews of their products and what people say. There's always some risk, but usually the product isn't a hot mess or anything.

If longevity is what you want, refurb usually isn't the best bet. If you want the most horsepower for the lowest price, and longevity isn't as big of a concern refurb can be a good deal. How much these things are worth are up to you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I'm looking at a decent gaming-type laptop with a 10-series GPU. I am drawn a bit more toward the Clevo as I already have a win10 license and even a SSD I can drop into a laptop, so saving some money on those is nice.

I'm deciding between the Clevo P650HS-G (1070, G Sync Screen) at around $1500 or a CLEVO N850HP6 (1060 without Gsync). For the money, the better specs are nice but I am also interested in the better build quality of the P series over the N. Any feedback or advice?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That is sorta how I am leaning. Anyone have experience with the N-series Clevo machines? I guess I am somewhat worried that the build won't be as good, but that might not be very warranted.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Not sure if this is the thread to ask in so forgive me if not, but can anyone recommend me a laptop in the region of $300-$500 that will run the majority of games (not necessarily the newest AAA titles) at a decent fps? I dont care about graphics at all just stable frame rates. I play a lot of Overwatch so being able to run that smoothly would be great, also interested in playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds so ideally a laptop that could handle that on low settings would be fantastic. Thanks.

You will not find a laptop that can play PUBG for under $500 at a decent FPS, even with everything set to low.

Something like this would run Overwatch OK, but you'd be turning stuff down. It'd do ok though:
http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-510-15-Intel-Core-i5-6200U-8-GB-RAM-1-TB-HDD-Windows-10-Notebook/product_2273845

If you stepped up to the $700-900 range you'd have more options, or the $1000 clevo I posted would run everything well.

If your stuck at $500, you might find a desktop that would work well, like this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

But I assume you have a monitor, an extra $100, and a Microcenter near you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Thanks, yea I looked at PUBG and saw it's not that well optimised so sadly unlikely to run on anything fairly cheap. But the Lenovo you posted looks good. I'd get a desktop but I also need a laptop for travelling so a multipurpose one is ideal.

Its a better time now for multi-purpose than ever before, but the low-end for laptop gaming is still barren. I'd look for the cheapest 1050ti laptop you can find (probably end up around 700-$800) if you think you can save up to that. That'd put you in a position to play basically all games at lower settings until at least through the end of the PS4/XB1 era.

Interestingly, when you get above $1000 desktops and laptop converge quite a bit and I have definitely scoped out laptops in the $1500 range that are close to $1500 desktops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Depends on what you want, really. For $1000 USD the Clevo N850Hp6 with the 1060 is hard to beat from a perf/$ point. Considering that the screen resolution is only 1080p, and the 1060 is able to play pretty much all games at ultra @ 1080p @ 60FPS, it's an exceptionally fantastic choice and the decent build quality is a solid plus.

I'd honestly go for that one.

The 1070 with Gsync combination is truely stellar, and my Aorus with similar specs blows many games out of the water. Things look super pretty and I'm very happy with it.

But it has a 3k resolution screen and it's still pushing nearly 60FPS at high-ultra settings, and with gsync you don't even notice a difference beteen 40FPS and 60. At 1080p the combination of a 1070 and gsync is ridiculous overkill, and honestly, you won't see much of an improvement over the 1060. Considering it's $600 more? Not even a contest, IMO. Grab the cheaper one, save the $600, use it to buy a laptop with Volta mobile cards when they release 18 months from now.

Went with the N850HP6, total cost was $950 with no OS and only a 120GB M.2 (which for some reason was the same cost as nothing). I'll post a mini review of it when I get it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's a Lenovo which can be hit or miss, but an i7 with a 1050ti for $717 is a great deal for anyone who wants a cheap gaming laptop.

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...sV1M0&PID=10451

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1050 is a bit anemic, the 1050ti is much better option if you want to play games like fallout 4. The 1060 matches up against the desktop 970, so that's a helluva card for a laptop.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The 41 FPS figure is from one of the opening cinematics with tons of NPCs and foliage though, and is on "High".

If gaming is a high priority one should indeed likely look beyond the 1050, but it has that upside that it is significantly faster than the gpus games are primarily designed around (ps4/xbone), giving a bit of margin for a bad port. As such it really is a sweet spot for a lot of the more casual among us.

This is true, I think the point is usually the step up to the ti is generally worth it, vs the larger leap to a system with a 1060. The guy asking about FO4, to me, means a step about casual. Understanding future-proofing is not possible, I generally also try to get a few years out of a laptop. While 40FPS is probably pretty playable for most people, I'd try not to borderline a target game the first day I had the machine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I just got my Clevo N850HP6 from Pro-star. It has a 7700k, 8GB Ram and a 1060. I got it with a 128GB M.2 and no OS, but I had a Windows 10 key and a 850Evo 500GB sitting around. It was $940 to my front door.

So far, I really like the Clevo. Tossing in the new SSD was really easy, and the thermals on this are great. It is significantly cooler and quieter than my old y50. The build quality is great, and I am quickly in love with the keyboard. It has a USB Type C and one of the better 1080p screens I've used.

If anyone is interested in a 1060 for around $1000 (or their 1070 version around 1300) I would recommend it after using it for like 3 hours.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xgalaxy posted:

I somehow ended up with $1500 in rewards points at Dell... which is confusing and I think a mistake. Because I've only ever bought 3 things from that site in the last 5 years.
Looking at the transaction history is a confusing mess. Some "API" thing has been depositing and removing rewards points for the last three months multiple times a month.

I guess I'll hold on to it until I see a sale.. possibly Black Friday. Hopefully the points don't disappear by then.

Someone got your account username/password and is trying to launder through your account.

Change all your passwords.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the 14" Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Laptop on sale for $800. 60hz panel and only 8gb soldered ram but it has one open slot for expansion. Open-box - Excellent for only $680 as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS Octa-Core (16 Thread) Processor
14" 1920x1080 display (non-touchscreen)
8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM
512GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card
Backlit Keyboard
Windows 10 Home
Weight: 3.64 lbs
Ports:
2x USB 3.0 Type A
1x USB Type C (Charging)
1x HDMI
1x DisplayPort 1.4
2x USB 3.2 Type C

This is a great deal. I'm hoping the 2060 version has a similar $300 price cut soon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hooah posted:

I see it for $1,100?

Yeah, looks like it'd dead.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FoneBone posted:

The Acer Nitro 5 I bought for ~$750 back in January 2018 needs what the repair shop is quoting as $500 in repairs (I don't think i'm getting stiffed - it's separate repairs on the laptop hinge and display, the battery, and new thermal paste that I procrastinated dealing with individually). So with Black Friday coming up, I'm just going to replace it.

That said, this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth - the previous gaming laptop I owned (a Lenovo) lasted me five years without repairs until the hard drive finally bit the dust. I never had hinge issues with that, or with the laptop I owned prior to that. Did I just have bad luck with Acer, or is my inclination to go with Lenovo or another brand prudent?

I'm looking to spend ~$900-$1000 circa Black Friday (edit: or Amazon Prime Day, maybe), and know I'd want a 1660Ti GPU at minimum. If I can afford it, is an RTX 2060 worth the extra? The difference between that and the 1660ti seems pretty marginal in most benchmarks I can find. The lack of raytracing support on the 1660 doesn't really matter to me.

$1000 might be tough to find a good 2060 for, but it's not far off.

Agreed, Acer QC is real hit or miss. But I am pretty sure the Hinge/Display is probably most of that repair cost and Lenovos suck at that too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FoneBone posted:

What brands are best for build quality?

Depends on the model a lot too. I'm holding out for a ASUS G14 (Will probably jump on anything below 1200 for a 2060). Other Asus aren't as good though. I am replacing a Prostar (same as MSI & Sager) that I thought was good for the money but it did just die on me after 3 years and change. I dunno, I thought that was a good run.

I've heard good things about the Razer line too, and the HP Omen though the Omen's hinges look like they'd like 20 minutes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I see laptops for sale with an extra feature of “with Amazon Alexa built in” and it seems like they’re maybe slightly cheaper than the non-Alexa equivalents. Is the preinstalled virus.exe badware that They call Alexa fully removable, or is it going to be bound to the Windows license or some poo poo like that so that even a wipe & fresh reinstall will always include Amazon’s little spy?

I know of no Amazon/Windows mix like that so I assume it's just like any other bloatware. I can't say how easy it would be to remove, but if you intend to just wipe it anyway you're probably good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

My impression was that the Zephyrus series was also a plastic chassis, but maybe it's still more solidly made nonetheless. Maybe I should just stick with the G14 or G15 and not overthink this, though I'm tempted to go above my ideal price range ($1500 or so) for the MSI GS66 Stealth.

The G14 is a pretty good plastic chasis, though the G15 probably isn't super cheap or anything. The G15 you posted is going to be considerably thicker, heavier, and I'd be a bit concerned about the heat dissipation and definitely battery life.

Keep in mind, this is the 2070 Mobile (NOT the super, not Max-Q) so while you get some great performance, heat and power usage is definitely a concern here. That 2060 is almost half the wattage for ~20-30% perf drop, that's a really good tradeoff especially at 1080p.

Don't get me wrong, without reading an in-depth review, this looks like a great laptop IF you are looking for more of a desktop-replacement and you have a cooling pad or something when doing more intensive gaming.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have there been any updates about laptops with the NVidia 3000 series cards? I’m guessing next summer at the earliest with supply issues but was wondering if there was anything more concrete.

Early 2021 announcement (probably), though usually there is a lag. You'll see high end, desktop replacement-type stuff first. I'd guess next summer for when they become more mainline is probably a decent guess, though you'll probably find them before then if you want to pay a nice bit for them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A cooling pad will make a big difference on that laptop. I think if you keep it on there you'll be fine most of the time.

Consider using frame limiters too so you're not having your GPU push 300 FPS then throttle itself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Don't discharge lithium batteries all the way to preserve their life. That was advice from the old NiCd/NiMH days that DOES NOT pertain to lithium. Lithium batteries do not need periodic discharges at all, there is no memory.

The best thing you can do is leave the charge down to about 50%-60% and then tell the PC not to charge it anymore. Check it every once and a while and let is get back up to 50-60%.

If you can't do that, then every few days unplug and let it get down to 50% and then charge it back. Don't let it go all the way to 0, being at 0 and then at 100 all the time is sorta worst case scenario.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dell G5, 15" 144hz 1080p with a 2070MQ for $1200. Pretty good deal.
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/5vgs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The ROG G14 with the Ryzen 9 and 2060MQ a bunch of us were waiting for is available at Best Buy for 1200, which is probably as good as it'll get as it's Best Buy's Black Friday price. BB is also doing returns until Jan 16th.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403816

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

and its worth mentioning that as of the time i post this, you can get that very model AS open box, for under 1k

I think the only ones that were under 1000 were "fair", which can be pretty sus. I suppose the extended return makes the risk a helluva lot less though. So if you're really gunning for a deal I'd check them out sooner rather than later.

Either way, ordered my new one, and picking it up today!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Ampere is a smaller process node though, so it should realize immediate power/thermal gains at the same performance levels.

It's also a bear to cool right now. Smaller node means more challenging cooling. The memory is also a power hog, though I guess there's no reason they can't swap that out.

We'll see desktop-replacement Ampere before too long in early/mid 2021 but my guess it'll be a minute before mobile stuff makes its way out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Harvey Baldman posted:

Looking for a hot take here -

https://www.microcenter.com/product/621985/maingear-element-3-173-gaming-laptop-computer---black

I'm trying to get a gaming laptop that I can also do video editing or 3d modeling work on while I travel. This checks a lot of my boxes, but is it worth grabbing one now, or is Black Friday a better thing to wait for?

That LOOKS to be similar to the MSI/Prostar/etc. Aggressively OK. I think gaming or doing anything intensive on that GPU is going to hit thermal limits unless its on a good cooling pad. Lower-end battery life (and my Prostar had absolutely crap speakers) but otherwise decent components.

I think this is a reasonably good deal, but probably not screaming.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I got my daughter one of the cheaper Flex's with AMD and I was really surprised by how nice it was for like $450. I believe the Flex are basically the same as the Yoga. I sorta thought the 2 in 1 was kinda gimmicky but it's a way better feature than I thought.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hace posted:

why is everyone acting like usb a is dead when it hasn't even started to fade away yet lol

Yeah I have no idea. The vast majority of mainstream chargers are still A to C and most C devices still come with A to C cables. Not having a USB-A is absolutely still a headache, even if it's reasonably easy to workaround.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Counter: I use a wireless mouse with my laptop that has a USB-A receiver (do those even come in C yet?) I have two headsets that use USB-A to plug in (as do every headset on Amazon when searching for "USB Headset") and thumb drives are way more prevalent than pocket SSDs with USB-C.

So while all these things are workaroundable by buying new accessories or getting dongles, that is kind of a pain. Just because individuals anecdotally don't need USB-A doesn't make it an invalid requirement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The lower powered ROG G14 also went on sale for $700
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

This is the Ryzen 7 4800HS, 512GB SSD and a GTX 1650, and I think the 60Hz screen. There's a subreddit around this and apparently this one can get you some ridiculous long battery life, and a 1650 is decent for lighter games.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ROFLBOT posted:

Would i be right in thinking that if i want a 2070/2080 gaming laptop that isn’t a gimped MaxQ, i have to rule out 15in ones at this point?

Not at all. The Strix G15 has a full-boat mobile 2070, https://www.newegg.com/rog-strix-g15-black-asus-g512lw-es76-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834235464 as does some of the MSI/Prostar/etc types. https://smile.amazon.com/MSI-Leopard-10SFK-062-i7-10750H-RTX2070/dp/B085B3GFRL Keep in mind, the MQ isn't "gimped", it's clocked lower to give significant power/thermal improvements. If you're mostly keeping it docked and on a cooling pad then fine, but if you intend to actually play games portably the MQ is a significant improvement, because your 2070 is going to be sucking a lot more battery to end up thermal throttled anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, you're getting a better screen on the macbook, a better pretty much everything else hardware-wise on the Carbon at that price point. But yeah, mostly "What OS do you want?"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Your desire for a large screen is something that'll help make everything else possible, actually.

Rog Strix SCAR 17 is probably my choice if there's no budget. You'll get ~5 hours on normal use and a 2080 Super which will be great for gaming. You can save money by looking at 2070s. Either way you'll probably want RDR2 gaming sessions on a cooling pad. MSI GS75 Stealth is also a good choice there, probably up to walking through which one you like.

Don't be afraid of the MQ GPUs. Those lose some performance but at a much better thermal/power usage. For a lot of these the non-MQ will hit thermal limits even on a cooling pad, so the MQ can be functionally faster.

You can probably look at 2070 laptops too if you want to save some money. That's still really fast for a gaming laptop.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Any suggestions for a laptop whose sole criteria is browser stuff and Sims 4? The cheaper the better, obviously as long as it's not garbage.

From what I gather Sims 4 doesn't run great without a dedicated GPU.

Something with a 1650 and an SSD

Probably this guy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6419028

Bestbuy has a kinda cool return thing going on so you have until Jan 6th, that's a nice amount of time to test drive/see if anything from BF shows up. Generally I think thats probably about as good as you'll find on BF.

The step up from that is probably ~700 for 16GB of RAM and a 1660ti, but that is overkill for Sims4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Carbon is all about being super portable (light) with a long battery life. For Battletech you probably want a 1660ti (a 1650 would probably be ok, but I'd say step up to the 1660ti).

The cheaper ROGs for ~$800 would probably be a great fit there, or the MSI/HP Omens are decent selections at around that $800 price point.

If you really like the Thinkpads I think you're in the P1 "mobile desktop" category there, or else the legion 5i or the Y740 would work pretty well.