Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

"Ships in 5-7 business days"
I guess it's kinda technically true on that timeline. The shipping takes 5-7 business days. The assembly, picking, packing, etc. takes a month though lol gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

theratking posted:

Hey all,
I'm looking for a Chromebook. I'm tempted to get the ThinkPad 13 Chromebook but I'm nervous about trackpad performance which in my experience has been awful with Thinkpads.

Budget is <= $500. What high-end CB in this range has the best trackpad?

Samsung Chromebook pro maybe when it drops? Don't get the plus.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

theratking posted:

Hey all,
I'm looking for a Chromebook. I'm tempted to get the ThinkPad 13 Chromebook but I'm nervous about trackpad performance which in my experience has been awful with Thinkpads.

Budget is <= $500. What high-end CB in this range has the best trackpad?

All the CB touchpads pretty much work the same, but they can feel different due to their materials. Some of the low-end models (e.g. Hisense/Haier CB 11) have, unsurprisingly, low-end plastic pads, while the Pixel has a glorious glass one. The HP 13 has I believe a plastic one that just feels really good, and the (discontinued?) Dell 13's is good as well (not sure of the materials off the top of my head.) The (discontinued) Toshiba CB 2 pads are good plastic, etc. Some of these models aren't available anymore so it can be hard to give recommendations unless you're willing to hunt around for used ones on eBay and elsewhere, however you seem to have done your research and narrowed it down to the Lenovo. That's good because you can get the fully-specced one (FHD touchscreen, Skylake Celeron which is apparently the only CPU option left) for about $500 from Lenovo right now, plus any tax/shipping minus any B&N or other discounts.

You're in luck because I actually ordered one (because I'm retarded and have far too many CBs for no good reason,) which I should have in the next day or two, so if you want to hear my thoughts just hang in there, I'll post here.

Other than that, the aforementioned HP CB 13 is a solid choice, and is frequently available refurbished on Woot, like right here, right now. You didn't mention any specifics beyond that model and price, so if you want something even cheaper and super portable the first-gen Asus CB Flip is great, as it's tiny, light, has great battery life with a smooth (albeit necessarily small) touchpad, at the cost of modest performance and a small keyboard. If you want to go further on recommendations or have questions about another specific model let me know.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I can get a new Samsung Chromebook 2 through work for about US $115 of my own money, after some stacking deals. This is the only notebook or tablet available through this deal, so I don't have other options to compare against.

I would use this for a secondary device, when I want something more substantial than my phone but don't want to sit at my gaming desktop. I've never used a chromebook, but it seems like a good option for a cheap moderate-use device.

Is this a decent choice for a first cheap chromebook, or is it too old and not worth buying?

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 9, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Science Goy posted:

I can get a new Samsung Chromebook 2 through work for about US $115 of my own money, after some stacking deals. This is the only notebook or tablet available through this deal, so I don't have other options to compare against.

I would use this for a secondary device, when I want something more substantial than my phone but don't want to sit at my gaming desktop. I've never used a chromebook, but it seems like a good option for a cheap moderate-use device.

Is this a decent choice for a first cheap chromebook, or is it too old and not worth buying?

That's an early 2014 model and it uses the Exynos ARM processor which got labeled as anemic for the job and was not used in later Chromebooks.

It's not terrible, the screen is gorgeous and there are slower Chromebooks out there with much worse build quality.

For your out of pocket costs I'd rate it 6.5 to 7.5 out of 10

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So I'm looking at a decent gaming-type laptop with a 10-series GPU. I am drawn a bit more toward the Clevo as I already have a win10 license and even a SSD I can drop into a laptop, so saving some money on those is nice.

I'm deciding between the Clevo P650HS-G (1070, G Sync Screen) at around $1500 or a CLEVO N850HP6 (1060 without Gsync). For the money, the better specs are nice but I am also interested in the better build quality of the P series over the N. Any feedback or advice?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Lockback posted:

So I'm looking at a decent gaming-type laptop with a 10-series GPU. I am drawn a bit more toward the Clevo as I already have a win10 license and even a SSD I can drop into a laptop, so saving some money on those is nice.

I'm deciding between the Clevo P650HS-G (1070, G Sync Screen) at around $1500 or a CLEVO N850HP6 (1060 without Gsync). For the money, the better specs are nice but I am also interested in the better build quality of the P series over the N. Any feedback or advice?

Depends on what you want, really. For $1000 USD the Clevo N850Hp6 with the 1060 is hard to beat from a perf/$ point. Considering that the screen resolution is only 1080p, and the 1060 is able to play pretty much all games at ultra @ 1080p @ 60FPS, it's an exceptionally fantastic choice and the decent build quality is a solid plus.

I'd honestly go for that one.

The 1070 with Gsync combination is truely stellar, and my Aorus with similar specs blows many games out of the water. Things look super pretty and I'm very happy with it.

But it has a 3k resolution screen and it's still pushing nearly 60FPS at high-ultra settings, and with gsync you don't even notice a difference beteen 40FPS and 60. At 1080p the combination of a 1070 and gsync is ridiculous overkill, and honestly, you won't see much of an improvement over the 1060. Considering it's $600 more? Not even a contest, IMO. Grab the cheaper one, save the $600, use it to buy a laptop with Volta mobile cards when they release 18 months from now.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That is sorta how I am leaning. Anyone have experience with the N-series Clevo machines? I guess I am somewhat worried that the build won't be as good, but that might not be very warranted.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

After some ordeals with Lenovo's online ordering, my 3rd order is finally through with some consternation. Configuration is exactly how I ordered it this time and no weird quirks that came up after ordering. Now we wait.

:shepicide:

My order said it was going to ship May 29th. I got an email Sunday that said it was on it's way to me. This was right after I told me friend about the weird shipping time, which he said "Yeah, Lenovo is weird. Order something, it gets delayed, then you get an shipping notification..."

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Not sure if this is the thread to ask in so forgive me if not, but can anyone recommend me a laptop in the region of $300-$500 that will run the majority of games (not necessarily the newest AAA titles) at a decent fps? I dont care about graphics at all just stable frame rates. I play a lot of Overwatch so being able to run that smoothly would be great, also interested in playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds so ideally a laptop that could handle that on low settings would be fantastic. Thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know if a 1050 could handle that but either way it'll be a bit above 500. I got the Dell inspiron with the 1050ti for around 800 and it plays both of those games decently.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Not sure if this is the thread to ask in so forgive me if not, but can anyone recommend me a laptop in the region of $300-$500 that will run the majority of games (not necessarily the newest AAA titles) at a decent fps? I dont care about graphics at all just stable frame rates. I play a lot of Overwatch so being able to run that smoothly would be great, also interested in playing PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds so ideally a laptop that could handle that on low settings would be fantastic. Thanks.

You will not find a laptop that can play PUBG for under $500 at a decent FPS, even with everything set to low.

Something like this would run Overwatch OK, but you'd be turning stuff down. It'd do ok though:
http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-510-15-Intel-Core-i5-6200U-8-GB-RAM-1-TB-HDD-Windows-10-Notebook/product_2273845

If you stepped up to the $700-900 range you'd have more options, or the $1000 clevo I posted would run everything well.

If your stuck at $500, you might find a desktop that would work well, like this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

But I assume you have a monitor, an extra $100, and a Microcenter near you.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am looking to replace my old Chromebook (circa 2014) with a new one with a better screen and more power. I am currently looking at the ASUS C302CA-DHM4 and the Samsung Chromebook Pro.

The Asus looks to be the better laptop from all my research, but only has a 1920x1080 12.5" display. The Samsung Pro is 2400x1600, on a 12.3" display. Other specs are roughly the same.

Is it higher screen resolution something I should be concerning myself with; or is it just more of a vanity feature that will be unnoticeable unless I have my face three inches from the screen. Anyone have an opinion on either of them? This is going to be my travel laptop for watching movies on planes, surfing the internet, and citrix-ing into my work computer from hotel rooms.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Lockback posted:

You will not find a laptop that can play PUBG for under $500 at a decent FPS, even with everything set to low.

Something like this would run Overwatch OK, but you'd be turning stuff down. It'd do ok though:
http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-510-15-Intel-Core-i5-6200U-8-GB-RAM-1-TB-HDD-Windows-10-Notebook/product_2273845

If you stepped up to the $700-900 range you'd have more options, or the $1000 clevo I posted would run everything well.

If your stuck at $500, you might find a desktop that would work well, like this:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/474288/G151_Desktop_Computer

But I assume you have a monitor, an extra $100, and a Microcenter near you.

Thanks, yea I looked at PUBG and saw it's not that well optimised so sadly unlikely to run on anything fairly cheap. But the Lenovo you posted looks good. I'd get a desktop but I also need a laptop for travelling so a multipurpose one is ideal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

Thanks, yea I looked at PUBG and saw it's not that well optimised so sadly unlikely to run on anything fairly cheap. But the Lenovo you posted looks good. I'd get a desktop but I also need a laptop for travelling so a multipurpose one is ideal.

Its a better time now for multi-purpose than ever before, but the low-end for laptop gaming is still barren. I'd look for the cheapest 1050ti laptop you can find (probably end up around 700-$800) if you think you can save up to that. That'd put you in a position to play basically all games at lower settings until at least through the end of the PS4/XB1 era.

Interestingly, when you get above $1000 desktops and laptop converge quite a bit and I have definitely scoped out laptops in the $1500 range that are close to $1500 desktops.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Depends on what you want, really. For $1000 USD the Clevo N850Hp6 with the 1060 is hard to beat from a perf/$ point. Considering that the screen resolution is only 1080p, and the 1060 is able to play pretty much all games at ultra @ 1080p @ 60FPS, it's an exceptionally fantastic choice and the decent build quality is a solid plus.

I'd honestly go for that one.

The 1070 with Gsync combination is truely stellar, and my Aorus with similar specs blows many games out of the water. Things look super pretty and I'm very happy with it.

But it has a 3k resolution screen and it's still pushing nearly 60FPS at high-ultra settings, and with gsync you don't even notice a difference beteen 40FPS and 60. At 1080p the combination of a 1070 and gsync is ridiculous overkill, and honestly, you won't see much of an improvement over the 1060. Considering it's $600 more? Not even a contest, IMO. Grab the cheaper one, save the $600, use it to buy a laptop with Volta mobile cards when they release 18 months from now.

Went with the N850HP6, total cost was $950 with no OS and only a 120GB M.2 (which for some reason was the same cost as nothing). I'll post a mini review of it when I get it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

:shepicide:

By which they mean "will be modified to whatever customisation options you clicked by some Lenovo factory worker in China within hopefully 5-7 days but possibly up to a month if the right parts are out of stock (laffo if you didn't customise anything but the system thinks you did so factory worker guy will just have to grab a standard model off the line), after which your laptop will arrive in another 3-5 days plus however long it takes to resolve any fuckups on the way and for customs to look at it.

I recently ordered an X1 and Lenovo/UPS managed to gently caress up, so instead of going on the plane from Shanghai to London it ended up going from Shanghai to South Korea to Kazakhstan :wtc: to Germany where it's currently sitting for reasons.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I'm looking for a laptop for my dad. somewhere around 400-700 used. He needs a nice screen and something between 13-15 inches so he can work from the cottage (Autocad, sketchup, etc.).
A thinkpad S1, x270 and y50 looks to be around 700-800 CAD locally. Anything I'm missing? Last laptop I've bought is the 2009 macbook pro I'm using to type this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Just Chamber posted:

For reference, here's what you could play on the 940mx GPU that that lenovo comes with:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940MX.156033.0.html

Here's what you could play if you saved up to buy a laptop with a 1050ti:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-Notebook.168400.0.html

And here's what you could play if you saved up to buy that $1000 Clevo we were just talking about :

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-Laptop-Benchmarks-and-Specs.169547.0.html

The difference between a $500 shitbox and a $1000 dollar Clevo is impossible to overstate.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I got my Lenovo Thinkpad 13 Chromebook and have been using it for a couple hours, including right now, so here are my thoughts: The display is fine, I'm glad I got the touchscreen (and of course FHD.) The speakers are OK, which means mediocre but pretty standard for laptops. The keyboard is pretty nice; it's a Thinkpad-style one with slightly curved keycaps instead of the standard CB keyboard, and the keys have decent travel and "clunk." Not backlit, but comfortable to type on. The touchpad is plastic, and reasonably smooth albeit with a slight matte texture. Very usable, and ultimately ends up working like any other touchpad in ChromeOS. Two USB-C ports are handy. Performance is good; there's a fan on the left side that kicks on on occasion but it's not too audible, and I appreciate that it's there as I prefer active cooling.

The Science Goy posted:

Hadlock pretty much nailed it. For the price, that has some decent components like the 4 GB of RAM and a FHD display. I have no experience with that CPU though, but it'll probably be passable. It'll be fine as a secondary device, for browsing and streaming.

I think it does hit the "decent for a first CB" mark, especially at that price. Again, as Hadlock said, there are still plenty of new CBs with worse components, like less than FHD displays, less RAM, and mediocre Atom CPUs. I say go for it, because when you want to upgrade to a newer/nicer model you can resell it and still probably get most of what you spent on this one. You could do better for a first CB, but not for anywhere near that price.

Just Chamber posted:

That 940MX laptop is probably the best you can do in that price range. I have a laptop with that GPU and it'll run most things with appropriately-lowered settings like you described; Overwatch for example runs with lower details and resolution scaling. I've seen some 960m laptops in the $500-600 range on Woot recently though, and while that's far from a great GPU it's still a jump over the 940MX. I have to agree that it's in your best interest to save up and get one of the 1050 Ti 4 GB laptops, however.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am looking to replace my old Chromebook (circa 2014) with a new one with a better screen and more power. I am currently looking at the ASUS C302CA-DHM4 and the Samsung Chromebook Pro.

The Asus looks to be the better laptop from all my research, but only has a 1920x1080 12.5" display. The Samsung Pro is 2400x1600, on a 12.3" display. Other specs are roughly the same.

Is it higher screen resolution something I should be concerning myself with; or is it just more of a vanity feature that will be unnoticeable unless I have my face three inches from the screen. Anyone have an opinion on either of them? This is going to be my travel laptop for watching movies on planes, surfing the internet, and citrix-ing into my work computer from hotel rooms.

You'd probably be fine with either one, although there are supply issues so actually finding a specific model may be difficult. There are supposed to be several C302 versions, for example, but only one or two are out now.

The displays really don't matter all that much, particularly the resolutions as both are FHD or better; the real difference is in aspect ratio. The Asus is 16:9 and will play video more comfortably, whereas the Samsung is 3:2 and is better for reading/browsing. You'd probably end up using resolution scaling on the Samsung (or even the Asus, because the display is somewhat small); I have a Pixel with a similar display and have ChromeOS scale the 2560x1700 12.85" display to 1280x850, which ends up being fine for normal use and I still get the advantage of the display's native resolution when I view high-res photos & video. Either the Samsung or Asus should work just fine for you, so go ahead and get whichever one is available unless your main use case is video or reading, which will lean you towards one or the other aspect ratio.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Science Goy posted:

Samsung Chromebook 2
The screen is 1920x1080, in fact the first Chromebook to come with one, but it's a TN panel so it's a bit washed out and not as good as the IPS ones found in later Chromebooks including the discontinued Toshiba Chromebook 2.

The CPU is also slow. It's OK for most websites but Google Drive crushes it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ouch.

Ya know, this makes me glad I could find a refurb configured exactly how I wanted back when I got the T460, that arrived in a week or so.

roomforthetuna posted:

I guess it's kinda technically true on that timeline. The shipping takes 5-7 business days. The assembly, picking, packing, etc. takes a month though lol gently caress you.

Rotten Cookies posted:

My order said it was going to ship May 29th. I got an email Sunday that said it was on it's way to me. This was right after I told me friend about the weird shipping time, which he said "Yeah, Lenovo is weird. Order something, it gets delayed, then you get an shipping notification..."

blowfish posted:

By which they mean "will be modified to whatever customisation options you clicked by some Lenovo factory worker in China within hopefully 5-7 days but possibly up to a month if the right parts are out of stock (laffo if you didn't customise anything but the system thinks you did so factory worker guy will just have to grab a standard model off the line), after which your laptop will arrive in another 3-5 days plus however long it takes to resolve any fuckups on the way and for customs to look at it.

I recently ordered an X1 and Lenovo/UPS managed to gently caress up, so instead of going on the plane from Shanghai to London it ended up going from Shanghai to South Korea to Kazakhstan :wtc: to Germany where it's currently sitting for reasons.

I did contact support that day about the disparity and they told me it since it was a new order that it was more or less a worst case scenario and told me to check back in a couple days when they have a better idea on shipment. Looks like that was it and got a saner ship date.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
The Yoga 720 is finally available in the UK and... only in 1080p :v:

Will continue waiting, and wondering...
Still not seen enough reviews anyway.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I asked around in the PYF products thread and was redirected here, so here goes.

My wife wants a new laptop for doing school work, since her old one has hit the old parts store in the sky. I'm looking for something inexpensive, but dependable and reliable. Just something that'll do great for homework, and maybe run some simple games (100% OJ, etc).

I'd like to spend less than $300, but I'm willing to go up to $400. Could you guys help me out?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Leavemywife posted:

I asked around in the PYF products thread and was redirected here, so here goes.

My wife wants a new laptop for doing school work, since her old one has hit the old parts store in the sky. I'm looking for something inexpensive, but dependable and reliable. Just something that'll do great for homework, and maybe run some simple games (100% OJ, etc).

I'd like to spend less than $300, but I'm willing to go up to $400. Could you guys help me out?

It's a little over your price range, but: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...AoK8YkTDDvOUkr0

It's dual-core, but it's quad-threaded: http://ark.intel.com/products/88193/Intel-Core-i5-6200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_80-GHz

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 11, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Leavemywife posted:

New: chomebook. Can't game on that but there's apparently decent models in the price range.

Used: Thinkpad. Solid, ok for really light gaming etc. Note that the good thinkpads all belong to the T, X, W, P series (models after *30, ideally after *40 for better battery life and screens are good options). Dell Latitude 7000 and 5000 series are also ok.

In general, don't get anything that has a trash tier 1366x768 screen unless you're trying to dump her :v:

Alexei
Aug 16, 2007

Can I please get a sanity check before I pull the trigger?

I've been thinking of getting a base T470, then upgrading RAM & HDD separately because gently caress Lenovo's overpriced upgrades.

Intended usage is web browsing, casual coding & maybe games (2D stuff, nothing graphics intensive). I looked on eBay for T460 models, but couldn't find any with the config that I want (FHD display and backlit keyboard). After reading the OP multiple times, I picked Lenovo for its durability and the supposedly nice keyboard, but I'm not too attached to the brand otherwise. Goons, please help find the right laptop for me! I'm willing to spend up to $1,000, but the less I spend the better.

Base laptop, configured through Lenovo's website:

Lenovo T470 - $689.43

Notable specs:
Core i5-7200U
4 GB RAM DDR4-2133 SODIMM
500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200 rpm
Bumped to 14" FHD (1920 x 1080 IPS)
Bumped to Backlit keyboard
everything else stock

Upgrades:

Crucial 4GB Single DDR4 - $32.31
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Single-PC4-17000-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B015HQ9SI6

Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 250 GB - $109.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

Total: $831.73

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Alexei posted:

I've been thinking of getting a base T470, then upgrading RAM & HDD separately because gently caress Lenovo's overpriced upgrades.

Intended usage is web browsing, casual coding & maybe games (2D stuff, nothing graphics intensive). I looked on eBay for T460 models, but couldn't find any with the config that I want (FHD display and backlit keyboard). After reading the OP multiple times, I picked Lenovo for its durability and the supposedly nice keyboard, but I'm not too attached to the brand otherwise. Goons, please help find the right laptop for me! I'm willing to spend up to $1,000, but the less I spend the better.

Lenovo T470 - $689.43

Notable specs:
Core i5-7200U
everything else stock

Upgrades:

That was more or less what I was going for until I decided I didn't want to deal with plastic clips to do my upgrades and wanting a WQHD screen the T470s I ordered has. With the T470, you at least have more flexibility in upgrades plus better battery options. The 6 cell one provides a poo poo ton of battery life.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Ended up pulling the trigger on the Thinkpad CB 13. Thanks for all the info, Atomizer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Alexei posted:

Lenovo T470 - $689.43

Notable specs:
Core i5-7200U
everything else stock

Upgrades:

https://www.techbargains.com/dell-inspiron-15-5000-deals

4K on a laptop screen is a bit cancerous, though.

I also don't know if you've got one nearby, but: http://www.microcenter.com/product/475522/FX53VD-MS72_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black_Metal

Sure, it's a 2GB 1050, but 2GB dedicated is always going to be better than integrated, and fat chance finding a 7700HQ for that price elsewhere. It also has space for a 2.5" drive since the model with 16GB, a 4GB 1050Ti, and a 256GB M.2 SSD also has a 1TB HDD. The upgraded model is $999, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 11, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

To those with Aero 15s...welp: https://www.techpowerup.com/233170/notice-to-readers-gigabyte-is-recalling-its-aero-15-gaming-laptops

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

It seems that the 'recall' may be incorrect information that even the CS department at Newegg has been falsely spreading, all picked up off an unconfirmed Reddit post.

This is from a post of a Gigabyte reseller: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gigabyte-announces-new-aero-15.804148/page-29#post-10524533

Either way, I guess we'll know more soon. I was looking at picking one of these up, too, slow screen be damned.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thanks, guys! Appreciate the help!

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What are your thoughts on desktop replacement laptops being true desktop replacements these days?

I want to bring up the MSI13L, AKA a barebones GT62VR which is one of their gaming laptops. It's a chassis about 1.5" thick, with a 15" screen. The reason I'm bringing up the barebones is because you can actually get it with a desktop CPU; the 7700k for example, and pair that with a GTX 1080 at max, and overclock both.

Temperature-wise, it can handle the load though is toasty. The two options I know of are the Eurocom Tornado F5, and the EVOC 16-L-G. I've linked the product page for the latter.

On the notebookreview.com forums there's a owner's lounge thread where people detail their experience with this beast, and it seems that after a good repaste, you can run 5GHZ 24/7 on the 7700k and temperatures will peak in the mid-80's only, which is pretty fantastic. The trade-off, is of course, noise.

The laptop is also upgradeable in theory; the CPU is socketed and the GFX card is an MXM form factor. Obviously it depends on if a better CPU with the same socket comes out (probably not) or a future card retains the same MXM design (more likely).

Since the GTX 1080 will be perfectly capable at 1080p for a long time, however, it seems to me that as far as desktop replacements go, now is probably the first time it ever seemed even remotely sensible. The 980m of the last generation had too many compromises to be a true desktop-glass do-it-all machine.

And, of course, it ain't cheap. How I would personally configure mine would end up costing 3k USD.

What are your thoughts?

The biggest problem with desktop replacements remains the crap monitor refresh (< 120hz and <144hz) and the lack of upgradability. That's why everyone says buy a nice desktop which will be faster than your expensive prospective laptop and a basic laptop of the side. It will still be cheaper than the gaming laptop.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

^^ There are 120hz screen options for that DTR (desktop replacement) but in general yes I agree. I did have a chance to snag one w/ a 7700k + GTX 1080 + 32GB 2800 ram + 120hz screen for a hair under 2k shipping included, which is a really good deal and honestly similar to a desktop price once you factor in PSU / monitor / case, but ended up needing the money for something else and had to pass.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It seems that the 'recall' may be incorrect information that even the CS department at Newegg has been falsely spreading, all picked up off an unconfirmed Reddit post.

This is from a post of a Gigabyte reseller: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gigabyte-announces-new-aero-15.804148/page-29#post-10524533

Either way, I guess we'll know more soon. I was looking at picking one of these up, too, slow screen be damned.

It's a hell of a thing when CS reps at Newegg incorrectly say there is a recall because they were linked to some Reddit post in a support email. :psyduck:

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 11, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alexei posted:

Lenovo T470 - $689.43

Notable specs:
Core i5-7200U
everything else stock

Upgrades:

This is a good, sane decision... What are you planning on doing with it? 8GB should definitely be your minimum which I see you're upgrading to. Backlit keyboard is a smart decision as well.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm looking into getting a little laptop for NOT GAMING (bizarre, I know), mainly for things like hooking up to my 3D printer, maybe running things like a SNES emulator (so an HDMI out or something similar would be a plus), small internet-type tasks on the go, etc. I'm not afraid of Linux, so the OS doesn't really matter as long as I can reinstall on it. I wouldn't be looking for a huge harddrive, but something a little bigger than the 16-32 I'm mostly seeing on Chromebooks might be nice. I'm not looking for much in the way of specs; I'm even considering going for an old-rear end e-machine or something, but modern hardware would be nice. Any thoughts?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142380360149

Am I missing anything with this? I'm looking for an all-around laptop to last me the next several years.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm looking into getting a little laptop for NOT GAMING (bizarre, I know), mainly for things like hooking up to my 3D printer, maybe running things like a SNES emulator (so an HDMI out or something similar would be a plus), small internet-type tasks on the go, etc. I'm not afraid of Linux, so the OS doesn't really matter as long as I can reinstall on it. I wouldn't be looking for a huge harddrive, but something a little bigger than the 16-32 I'm mostly seeing on Chromebooks might be nice. I'm not looking for much in the way of specs; I'm even considering going for an old-rear end e-machine or something, but modern hardware would be nice. Any thoughts?

This is pure Thinkpad territory. You can pick up something nice for $200 with an X220 then more or less depending on your RAM requirements.

edit: that's a 12" screen and sweet keyboard and most importantly, a proper computer laptop. If you want something more throw-away you could go for a Toshiba click mini which is hella portable or something like that?

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142380360149

Am I missing anything with this? I'm looking for an all-around laptop to last me the next several years.

Not really. It's just an Intel generation older. All you're really missing is Type-C which is slowly becoming the norm on laptops.