Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I wonder when the first 8th gen laptops with dGPUs will come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Sorry, I meant one under $2000.

Edit: Seems like the Acer Nitro 5 Spin is the closest thing out there right now.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 25, 2017

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Arkangelus posted:

Thanks, all good to know. So these days quad core CPU's and 4 GB+ of GPU ram are basically required?
Unfortunately I don't think he'll go for a refurb/used so that obviously limits options quite a bit.

So I guess at the $750 price point this might be best option (assuming it arrives and the screen isn't terrible):
Dell Inspiron 15.6" Full HD Gaming Laptop (7th Gen Intel Quad Core i5-7300HQ, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 4gb)
and have him use an older HDD in the open 2.5" bay for now?

Or wait a little longer to see if a deal for a 7300HQ 1050 Ti 4 GB system pops?

Incidentally, is there a site like pcpartpicker where I can search by component but it will find full laptops? Or, alternatively, a way to do it on there that I'm missing? The whole "search just about every computer retailer there is" is pretty nice.

The Dell Inspiron gaming models are an OK value, but make sure you get one with an IPS screen. The original batch of 2017 Gaming Inspiron models had trash-tier TN panels. So I would look up that particular SKU to see what panel it has.

The 1050ti model with an IPS screen was on sale for $700 on BF weekend I believe, so you might want to hold out for that one.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

Now I'm mad at those people who suggested I get the $750 MSI with the 1050 at Newegg, because the screen is TN.
I don't actually care, because I'm not a very visual person, but given how much everyone here shits on non-IPS panels it's disappointing to have been recommended a machine with one, with no caveats. You jerks.

Some TN panels are worse than others. I've heard that the TN panel on those particular Dells are bad even for TN.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Yes, but I'd want smaller than 15 inch. That's the only reason I didn't buy a Clevo again.

XPS 15: 14.06 x 9.27 x 0.66 inches

Clevo P950HR (which seems like the smallest 15" Clevo SKU): 14.96 x 9.8 x 0.73 in

Clevo N850HP6 (which seems like the standard 15" Clevo SKU): 14.88" (w) x 10.51" (d) x 1.18" (h)

14" Razer Blade: 13.6 x 9.3 x 0.70 inches

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Would this be worth $750? There's a student coupon for $150 off that is glitched and not applying, but I might be able to get someone on the phone to fix that. It seems like a good laptop for if I eventually decide to try out an eGPU because of the HQ CPU. The downsides are the single-channel RAM and lack of numpad.

I don't generally play AAA games at ultra settings, so I kind of want an all-rounder that's portable, can do Excel stuff, and that I can bring downstairs and plug into an eGPU/monitor when I feel like playing more demanding games.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I'm picking up my 7577 from Costco tonight, and I'm planning on putting a fresh install of Windows 10 on there. Are there any Dell-centric drivers I should still install, or can W10 handle that?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Soup du Journey posted:

my costco 7577 didn't seem come with a ton of bloat. i took out maybe 8 things by way of control panel uninstalls and i seem to be doing okay. am i nuts? is this poo poo super stealthy now??

I don't know how much bloat it came with. I just wanted a clean slate to start.

Although I was getting super-pissed off that the Windows installation media wasn't recognizing the SSD in the laptop, but I finally fixed it by going into the BIOS and switching the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I just wanted to let the thread know that SwissArmyDruid's RAM arrived yesterday, and I installed it in my new Dell 7577 this morning, along with a 1TB Firecuda drive. I panicked for a bit when I turned it on and got a black screen, but 15 seconds later I got a screen warning me that the amount of recognized RAM had changed from the last boot up. :thumbsup:

I'm really happy with the specs of this thing considering the money I've put into it.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 24, 2017

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Is that Dell the specific one you're thinking about buying or is it a similar model? I ask because I don't see that it's MaxQ anywhere in that listing, unless I'm blind. If it's indeed not MaxQ, then that looks to be basically identical to the Helios specs-wise, aside from the fact that the Dell adds a 1 TB HDD, which is worth like $50. If it is the MaxQ version for the same price and everything else is the same, then note that MaxQ GPUs are basically like a half-step down in performance; a 1080 MQ is like a "1075", a 1070 MQ is a "1065", and the 1060 MQ would be a "1055"; it'd definitely be faster than the 1050 Ti, and perhaps close to the 1060 3 GB. Other than all that, I can't comment on the Dell's display, cooling, etc., so for the same price and nearly the same specs it's a tossup, but in general I emphasizing getting the most powerful components possible that are not user-replaceable (this includes the GPU, sometimes the CPU, and often the RAM nowadays.)

Yeah, you want a Chromebook, especially for that budget. If you insist on Windows, I don't know, look for an Asus Zenbook maybe? Something like this? You're otherwise going to have a hard time finding good+cheap+windows+ultraportable (pick three.)

According to reviews, the Dell 7577 has such a good enough heating/cooling profile that they didn't have to downclock the 1060 much, and it's only 5-10% slower than a regular laptop 1060.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there any good roundup of CES announcement articles? A SA thread? I can't seem to find anything good.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
What would be my best option if I want to use a <$800 laptop as an HTPC, assuming it'll have a multimedia/streaming focus with occasional gaming? Should I just wait for another Costco Inspiron 7577 deal?

Best Buy has this at the moment, but I don't know if I want a 1050ti at this point, even if I don't really plan on gaming much on it. The Coffee Lake processor is better than the i5-7300HQ the 7577 has, though.

Also, would I have a problem with a laptop generating too much heat while closed even if I disable the screen?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I ended up buying this Dell G7 as my HTPC. There's currently a 15% off (up to $100) PERFECTDAY ebay coupon, so I got this for $718 before tax. The main minuses for this model seem to be meh screen and battery life, which do not affect my usage case whatsoever.

My desktop set up in my office is an i7-860 with a Radeon 5770 that's essentially acting as a NAS for me at this point, so I can use this to bounce back and forth between HTPC and office usage, too. It has TB3 in case I want to be lazy and go the dock route.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 29, 2018

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

Well ya, it's 4gb vs 2gb. I just meant for me personally it really wouldn't make much of a difference. Also, Best Buy told me the other model with the 7th gen i5 and 1050 ti was out of stock and discontinued due to being the "older model."

There is an 8th gen/1050 ti model

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

A Ceiling Fan posted:

I''m looking for a gaming laptop around the 1100-1300 range. Trying to find something normal/professional looking, so I could take it out in public without it screaming "gamer". The new Acer Predator Helios 300 would be perfect, but I can't get past the case. Is there anything out there with roughly the same specs that looks less obnoxious? I'm planning on installing my own SSD (512 GB) and RAM (16 GB), so that's not really an issue. I'm more concerned with the graphics card/screen quality/processor. I'd prefer something with 2 M.2 slots or more in case I wanted to add another SSD, but it's not required. I was thinking of getting a Prostar/Sager, but I have no experience with those brands. Any suggestions?

Edit: Also, does anyone have any experiences with SSHDs? What do you think of using them rather than a normal 1 TB HDD?

The Dell Inspiron Gaming (now G5) line is pretty subdued for gaming laptops. If you wait for deals, you can get a 1060/i5/8GB combo for $750-800. I don't know whether there are 2 M.2 slots, but there are two drive slots.

Edit: This isn't the exact model I just mentioned, but this is how it looks

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Are there any BF deals on a 13/14" ultrabook with a TB3 port? The best I've seen so far is $999 for an XPS 13, while I was hoping for something closer to $700. There are some good deals in that range, but no TB3 ports. I wasn't expecting TB3 to still be such a scarce feature.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

isndl posted:

TB3 is new enough that you're not going to find it on anything besides current gen and BF deals are mostly on old stock that the retailers are trying to clear out of inventory. You might be better off waiting to see if there's any Christmas deals and keeping an eye on the Dell outlet in the meantime.

Yeah, seems like I'm going to have to cross my fingers for a sick XPS 13 deal or wait awhile.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

I'm guessing that one doesn't have TB3 considering it has a 6th gen CPU in it.

Unsinkabear posted:

This actually seems pretty good, depending on the RAM. Where is that?

I think so too. They finally have the 512gb/16gb/1080p model in stock right now, and as soon as they got inventory the price mysteriously rose from $650 or whatever it was to $1144. I really wanted to get one below 1k but I'm considering pulling the trigger and just being done with it. :smith:

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/dell/product/ra8mpseq4/

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yep

I don't think there's been any substantial changes since the T440 or so. Just marginally better battery life, measured in minutes, and maybe 5-8% cpu, but I doubt the average lay person could tell the difference in performance.

Oh, they added USB-C charging in, either the T-470 or T-480. That's worth upgrading for. The T-480 has Thunderbolt 3 so I'm not sure what the T-490 is going to have that's worth the upgrade.

It would not surprise me if laptop manufacturers stop offering Thunderbolt 3 on low and mid-range laptops, as it makes laptops as expendable and upgradable as desktops and destroys the need to upgrade

I'm having a hard time finding TB3 on ultrabooks outside the XPS and Thinkpad lines, anyway. Seriously, are there any other lines that have it?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
How compatible are TB3 docks? I might be getting a Thinkpad at work + a Lenovo dock for when I'm home, so does that mean I'd be stuck with Thinkpad or bust for a personal ultrabook if I want to use the dock with it?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the answers.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I apologize if this is a bit off-topic, but I recently bought a USB-C hub for when I work from home. However, my Thinkpad's screen is too small for it to sit on my desk as a second screen, so I'd like to hook up a second monitor instead. My hub only has an HDMI port, so I was thinking of using a converter with one of the USB 3 ports.

I don't care whether it's VGA/DVI/HDMI, so what's the cheapest thing I can buy to convert USB3 to video that will support 1080p and won't be a glitchy piece of crap? I'm not going to be doing anything graphically intensive on it.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Any standouts so far from the Project Athena Ice Lake models that have been announced?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you can get past the soldered everything, the new XPS 13 2:1 is reviewing better than the traditional XPS 13 model.

The reviews do seem pretty great so far. I guess the main competition would be the Spectre x360.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

i vomit kittens posted:

I got a new Asus 2 in 1, the Q546FDX (for some reason it is not just called a variant of the Zenbook Flip?). It works great, but sometimes the screen will flash black, usually whenever I adjust the angle it's at or bump it in some way (though not every time). Is this normal or does it indicate that something is wrong? If it's the latter, is it just something I'll have to deal with or should I consider replacing it before it turns into a bigger problem?

I'm certainly no hardware expert, but that sounds like a loose cable.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Capri Sun Two posted:

Excel, R, SPSS. Lightroom for photos.

Speaking as someone whose relatively modern Thinkpad with an i7-8550 and 12 GB of RAM still throttles/chugs on Excel and Power BI, I wouldn't recommend a $400 laptop unless your datasets are in 5 figures.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I've been looking for a device that can, in decreasing order of importance:

1. Act as a netbook when I'm downstairs in front of the TV. Discord and web browsing only.
2. Tablet/convertible (preferably tablet) form factor to be an epub and/or recipe reader
3. Something light to throw into my bag when I want a combo of 1, 2, and 4
4. Something to play low-requirement, touch-friendly Steam games on like VNs and Slay the Spire
5. Plug into a USB-C dock in my office for light productivity

Just to confirm, it seems like my main options are

1. Chromebook Duet, in which case I have to toss out 4 (due to having an ARM chip, although I guess I'd be able to use the Steam Link Android app even if I don't have native support?) and 5 (because apparently the Duet's USB-C port can't handle 1080p/60hz output).
2. Base iPad, which will be fairly more expensive with a decent keyboard attachment, plus I still lose out on 4.
3. Spend way way more money on a tricked-out m3/8GB Surface Go 2 + keyboard attachment, because the Pentium Gold/4GB model runs like garbage.

Am I missing any devices?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

etalian posted:

Comrade Dave Lee's review of the 5i Lenovo Legion refresh.

Note the partial tear down / pop the cover part of the review shows the 5i uses the traditional heat pipe cooling system whole the more expensive 7i does use vapor chamber cooling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsd-6xjHfw

It's weird that he reviewed the 5i instead of the 5 when the 5 is cheaper and he just had a review last week titled "Razer Blade Stealth 2020 - Cursed by Intel"

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

etalian posted:

He already reviewed both the 5 series and 7 series when they were originally released.

Would be interesting to see the review for the higher end 7i to see if gets any better thermals or fan noise performance for the more mainstream 5i series refresh.

Do you have a link? I looked at his video list, and the last Lenovo video before this one was 10 months ago for the Y540.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

etalian posted:

The Y700s series review is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUytmEYx6s

Note looks like Lenovo still has the last gen Legion laptops gen stock as clearance items (Y500s / Y700s).

Oh. I was originally talking about the brand new Lenovo Legion 5 with a 4xxx AMD CPU, the AMD equivalent of the 5i.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Am I missing something about the ads? Because I never see any.

I removed all of the tiles so my start menu looks like a Windows 7 start menu, could that be it?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I posted this in the display megathread but didn't really get any responses, so I'm wondering if this would be a better place.

Are there any attachable portable laptop screens out there that are less than $250? I see a bunch in the $150 range, but they all seem to be kickstand-only.

This is the type of device I'm talking about, although I have no idea how good this one is because Google doesn't really seem to have much information on any of them:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Portable...ps%2C159&sr=8-4

My current laptop is a Dell Gaming Inspiron 7577, if that matters.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Do you mean attachable to the top of the laptop's monitor? Like so it'll sit on top of the laptop and presumably fold back onto the laptop's lid?

Or do you mean attachable to the side of the laptop's monitor? So that you get 'ultrawide'?

To the side, like in the link. Basically to get a dual-monitor situation with a laptop.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you look around at T480 and T480s overheating, it's actually pretty common. If they are connected to AC power, they seem to idle VERY hot. The thermal management on them seems to be pretty terrible. They'll do this thing where they idle super hot on AC, spin up the fans full tilt which drops it below a threshold, they they basically stop and start the process over again. Over time the whole chassis heat soaks and weird stuff starts happening.

I've had it connected to three different docks including the official one and all exhibit the same issues. Only way to resolve is bounce the machine and it will behave on AC for a little while.

Inside is as spotless as a clean room. It's 100% a firmware bug that people have been complaining about since 2018.

Beyond that, the capabilities of the external monitors is just terrible because they made too many compromises with the way the internal displayport is handled to stick a dumb HDMI port on the thing.

You can choose dual 1080p monitors, anything beyond that is on your head. If you are LUCKY, you can get the thing to settle down for a bit and knock a 4k monitor down to 1080p60 or 4k30 to allow a second monitor to be detected and that config might be stable for awhile. But then the AC bug will hit which drops and reconnects the dock over and over again, confusing the poo poo out of any monitor configuration.

The most stable solution I've found is to drop back to a USB-C dock with Displaylink rather than try to use thunderbolt. It's actually able to use the monitors without issue if the USB-C port is behaving.

My first T480 lasted about 9 months before it developed a memory fault. I know before we closed down the office (pre-covid, we all just went remote 100% of the time) there wouldn't be a week that went by without someone sending back one that failed.

Confirming that my work T480 also constantly shits itself due to overheating/throttling. Sometimes I have to get up and walk away for a few minutes and pray Excel doesn't crash on me by the time I get back.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Probably the wrong year to be pushing a premium travel charge card, but the platinum amex is one of the few cards that still covers electronic items for a year after the mfg warranty. You'll have to read the fine print but it's a pretty nice perk if say, you're buying an apple device which only has a 1 year warranty.

The platinum card is pretty pricey ($500/yr) on it's own, but if you break down the perks (and Covid ever ends and we can travel again) it almost breaks even; an apple care plan would probably push you in to net positive. I think the gold and lower tiers dropped their extended warranty stuff in the last year so it's just platinum now.

I just got a Chase Freedom Flex, and I'm pretty sure mfg warranty extension is a perk on those.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

150w GPU, woof. The 2080 non-mq was 150watt and basically a nonstarter.

150W is the maximum TGP of any Ampere laptop part. The 3070 maxes out at 125W.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Am I missing something about how Thunderbolt works on Macs, or are there just no USB-C keyboards or mice out there?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I gave up and bought the stupid Legion 5 Pro.
Only had it for a day, but here's some thoughts;

Apart from the lid logo, it's not very gamer-y which I appreciate. You can turn the lid logo glow off and I ordered a sticker to slap over it.
While robust, it's not actually a metal construction which I'd seen implied on previews.
It's not terribly heavy and the fans/noise levels are good.
You can't order the power brick separately so have fun lugging that thing around.
I haven't messed with all the settings yet but it looks like you have to go into the BIOS to switch between the iGPU and the dGPU. My understanding is that this improves performance?
Screen is good. Speakers are good but again not as amazing as the copy would have you believe. Keyboard is good. Trackpad seems mediocre but I'll almost never use it.
I appreciate that you can turn the lid logo on/off, change keyboard backlight modes, and switch between performance modes without installing any bullshit software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msh5tXdsFhY

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

How are you getting $850? I'm seeing $989.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Still $989. I tried manually copying the link into a new tab, too. Also tried Firefox and Chrome.