Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Fat_Cow posted:

No, do touch screens have worse screen quality than other laptops?
The touch part is just another layer in the screen assembly and shouldn't have any effect on the display quality. The majority of high-quality displays being produced in the world are for touch screens. On my laptop I couldn't get the nice (high resolution and IPS) screen without it being touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Going from 768 to 900 is the same bump as going from 900 to 1080; approx 8.5% more vertical space
You shouldn't post things like this if you're bad at math.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't need something with a crazy high resolution screen since that just seems like an waste of GPU power/battery, unless I'm just mistaken on that front. Budget is $1200 and I'm willing to wait for prices to come down a bit. It looks like the ASUS Zenbook, Acer S7, and Thinkpad X1 would all be good choices. Any others?
Have you checked out the X240? It ticks all of your boxes. A lot of people bitch about the trackpad but it's just fine for me. It's worth a look at least.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I thought a lot of people here said they hated/returned the X240.
The biggest complaint is the clickpad and lack of separate buttons. The X1C and first gen Helix have the same setup. I have an X240 and use the clickpad for almost everything. No complaints here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'm a big screen sperg too and went with the 1920x1080 touchscreen IPS option on my X240. I haven't found any defects whatsoever.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The one I have a problem with sometimes is the three finger press for middle click. It seems to work every time unless I have my fingers in a vertical line which isn't a problem unless I'm using it at an awkward angle.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bpower posted:

:awesome: When will they be available?
"Coming soon"
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/ces2015/#index.html?0=0

PCIe storage, too!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

havenwaters posted:

My fingers can't deal with fn - ctrl after 10 years of ctrl - fn and navigational keys on the far right side of the keyboard.

Oh well, still looks nice otherwise.
You can swap them in the BIOS.

e: fn and ctrl, that is.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

How do I get a two-finger tap to register as a middle-click instead of a right-click? I cannot find the touchpad driver options for the life of me on this ASUS UX303LA.
Does three fingers work for a middle click?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Xae posted:

And they still only have 4GB of RAM.
If you upgrade to the i5-5300U there's an 8GB option. If you upgrade to the i7-5600U you're forced to get 8GB.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Xae posted:

By the time you add in the cost of those items you're near $1500 and you could get much more machine for the money elsewhere.
That's cool, but

Xae posted:

And they still only have 4GB of RAM.
is incorrect.

If you use the link in the OP it's $1300 for the 5300U and 8GB RAM.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Newegg has the ThinkPad Ultra dock for the T/X_40 series models for $165 today and tomorrow.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA55W1P08450

I think I'm going to pick one up since it'll be nice to have and is an outrageous $270 from Lenovo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

apathypuff posted:

It would be for light use, like web sites, facebook, facebook games. A touchscreen would be a nice bonus, I'm sure. I bet she'd dig a convertible or 2-in-one. Storage space isn't important at all, seeing as she never saved anything to her desktop computer.

I think she would like to spend $3-500 or so. Thank you.
That's what Chromebooks are for.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Spare 2TB SSD in ultrabay (4TB total) $400
You paid $400 for your 2TB 2.5" SSD? You got ripped off, man.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

No 1080p T440's show up in the outlet, just 1600x900 :(
But there is a 1080p T440s for $682.50!

e: Well there was just a second ago. Now there's a refurbished one with a 256GB SSD and 1080p multitouch IPS for $604.10.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 3, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

The new Pixel is out.
$1000 for the i5 with 8GB RAM and 32GB storage or $1300 for the i7 with 16GB RAM and 64GB storage. Charges via USB-C just like the new Macbook but has 2 type-c ports and 2 USB 3 ports. Same 2560x1700 screen as the previous model.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I didn't see a replay so I'm asking again what the thread's opinion is on the Samsung Chromebook 2, http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-11-6-Inch-Jet-Black/dp/B00J49ZH6K
Don't get it. It has an ARM processor and a terrible screen. $30 more gets you the Toshiba Chromebook 2 with a 1920x1080 IPS screen and an Intel CPU.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

You can already get the adapters but they're janky and require a PCIe connector on the laptop which is probably going to have 4 or fewer lanes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

USB-C has dedicated high speed bus lines but I think it's all routed through a USB controller chip. I might be wrong, it may be a PCIe extender as well.
USB-C is just the connector. USB 3.1 is the new spec. And even then not really. All current devices with USB-C ports are USB 3.1 Gen 1. Which is actually USB 3.0 that was renamed because the USB-IF is retarded. So they're really only plain old USB 3.0 5Gbps ports on a USB 3.0 controller but with a fancy new connector.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Is the power negotiated separate from the data controller? I think the current "blue" box style connector is only rated for 4.5W while the type-C connector is technically rated for 100W. The actual power consumption of a Macbook lies somewhere between those two numbers so I am thinking a new controller chip is being used here, last time I checked people still didn't know the mfg or model of the chip
I think the 4.5W (900mA @ 5V) is for host to device. USB Power Delivery is a separate thing and has existed for a while. Probably since 500mA stopped being enough to get our phones charged in a reasonable amount of time and vendors started making things out of spec. You're right that the Power Delivery spec does have extra modes for the Type-C connector.

So yeah, I should have specified that charging through the port is new but for all other purposes it's USB 3.0 with a new hole.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro when I put an SSD in my X240 without any trouble. It even read the key from the machine so I didn't have to type it in. Not sure why that's not working.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kreez posted:

Bought an x250 trackpad to put on my x240. So much better. Better yet, Lenovo added back the ability to have the middle button act as a simple middle click for the x250 pads!
I've been using a 3-finger click for middle on mine but that might be worth it. Can you link to the replacement trackpad you bought?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

teagone posted:

I wish Google would make an 11" Pixel :(
It's the same width as the 11" Air and a little over an inch deeper.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

M.2 drives are named for their size, typically 2242 or 2280. mSATA is something like 30x50. I think all of the 2242 drives are SATA and you have to go up to 2280 for PCIe.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

There's also an Acer Chromebook 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Above Our Own posted:

What are the sexiest looking chromebooks? I'm looking for small form factor, ultra minimal, and a great display.