Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mark Larson posted:

For people who want to say their laptop has an i9. The i3, i5, i7 names are just marketing anyway, they may have denoted performance at some point but now a Pentium on the desktop can crush an i7 in a laptop. The name of the game is thermal dissipation, and laptops simply don't have as much headroom. To use a car analogy, it's like BMW coming out with a 335i moped.

That's an ultra-thin though, a 'proper' laptop i5/i7 is still going to be faster at least in fairly short bursts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd go with the laptop.

Make sure they order you a proper dock too, not some generic Thunderbolt one (had bad luck with those) or the cheap one with only a single Displayport

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

multi monitor just works so much better when every screen is the same resolution.

So long as you're using the same scaling on each display I don't see why resolution matters, especially where the screens are different physical sizes.

Scaling is still important though as you still run into loads of apps that don't support per monitor scaling well (Visual Studio and Office 2016 still go blurry when you shift them off the primary display)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Truga posted:

I'm so glad I still see well enough to not need scaling. All that wasted desktop realestate :cry:

I don't see how anyone could be comfortable with a 13 or 14" 4k screen at 100%. It's pretty drat small regardless of how well you can see, the click targets in Windows would be tiny.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I have an Elite X2 1012 at work. Low end model so only 4GB and some Y series processor.

It's fine I guess and certainly much better built and more durable than my Surface Pro (which is the most disappointing bit of hardware I've ever purchased) but I still don't get the form factor at all - most of the time it just seems flat out worse than a normal laptop.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

etalian posted:

The build quality is great, it's just the concept ended up making it a pretty expensive machine with some annoyances such as sky high pricing and also the gap due to the unique hinge design.

Fit and finish is good but I'm of the opinion that actual build quality doesn't become apparent until the system is a few years old.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

How are the keyboards & trackpads on mobile workstation-class units in the big boy sizes? Specifically the dell 7730/hp zbook g5/lenovo p71, which look like the exact same terrible trackpads as there were back when a Bush was president.

I’ve been decently happy with the razer blade stealth & don’t want to take too much of a step down from a 2013 era macbook pro in terms of feel, but I’d also like to be able to compile ue4 in less than a day.

I'm curious as to what you expect to tell about the quality of a trackpad by looking at it.

Anyway I don't have a ZBook but the trackpad on my EliteBook 830 G5 is just fine - it's a click pad but isn't floppy like the older Lenovo ones, it still has separate trackpoint buttons (unfortunately the trackpoint itself isn't Lenovo quality), uses precision drivers and is made from proper glass. No real complaints from me.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

They just look like throwbacks to an era where trackpads were really awful, with really tiny touch surfaces and actual buttons. Some configs look like they stuck a fingerprint reader in the corner of the pad, which sounds incredibly annoying too.

Actual buttons are a good thing though - these systems are huge anyway so there is a good amount of palmrest space left for the trackpad surface even with proper buttons

This is the ZBook 15:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

an skeleton posted:

Why do you think I would have to replace it in 18 months

That's certainly been my experience with Surface models - they're beautiful but very fragile and Microsoft has never figured out a way to make a battery last properly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

I have no idea how i missed the fact that even the zbooks have a stick too...ugh.

Of course they do, why on earth would they get rid of that selling point? I know we wouldn't consider deploying anything that didn't have both pointing options (well at least not in the traditional laptop for factor)

Really it sounds like the best you're going to do is the Precision version of the XPS15 - it's in a more consumer orientated chassis which you will probably like if you like Apple gear. Probably going to run into similar throttling issues there though.

I'm not sure I really get your first complaint either - the current Apple gear is just as 'workstation class' as anything from previous generations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

Did history forget the 17” pro already?

You mean the one that had exactly the same guts as a 15" model of the same period? If that was 'workstation class' then the new ones are too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

So it turns out I'm a loving idiot who solves problems one step at a time instead of looking at the big picture. My work is paying for 75% of this laptop, and I'm paying for 25%. My former desktop PC (i5/1070) died of a motherboard failure and I was planning to sell the leftover parts to pay for my 25% of the new laptop. I decided I should get something with a low/mid power discrete GPU for now, and then build an eGPU in the future when it gets long in the tooth and I hopefully have more cash to burn.

I've spent literal days hunting for a loving unicorn that suits my dumb use case, and most of you are probably already seeing what I missed.

I can just use that loving 1070 in the closet to build an eGPU now, and buy a tiny cheap whatever with a Thunderbolt 3 port on it. :suicide:

If you're keeping the graphics card anyway I'll bet it's be cheaper to grab a new motherboard for the desktop than getting an eGPU enclosure. It's not like the other components of a desktop PC have any real second hand value.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Rime posted:

Matlab with large datasets? You're going to want at least 16 gigs and an i7 at minimum. That poo poo eats power.

You need to be a lot more precise than that. A current gen ULV i5 is going to do significantly better than a previous gen ULV i7 because Intel finally went to four cores. Also the difference between a current gen ULV i5 and i7 is small enough as to be insignificant.

etalian posted:

Also due to the thin bezel craze they are only slightly heavier and slightly larger footprint than a 13" laptop.

Not really because 13" models have also downsized.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lenovo batteries don't seem to hold up as long as other manufacturers do.

I'm still using a cast-off HP 2570p (which is an X230 equivalent) and it'll still do 5 hours on the battery. Not too bad for a 12" Ivybridge machine that has been in use for six years.

My personal T430s on the other hand needed two new batteries under warranty and the third one gave less than two hours by the time I got rid of it in 2016.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mzuri posted:

Hello laptop savants!

I'm currently rocking an HP2570p with a 128gb SSD that's served me well for many, many years. I love the keyboard when it's in laptop mode and when I dock it, it's adequate enough to pull two 27" screens, as long as I stick to my usual business activities (webmail, Google docs, slack and whatsapp).

It's getting a little long in the tooth, and the more tabs I have open, the more the fan spins. The screen and its limited viewing angles are also starting to annoy me a bit, as it has to be positioned just so to not distort the colours. I'm also getting the Civ 5/6 itch - I have a PS4 for other games.

I'm looking at replacing it with either the T480 with an i5 and an IPS panel or an XPS13 with an i5. Both with 256gb. The Matebook X Pro was also in the picture for a while, but I've had enough uncomfortably hot laps from my ancient Macbook Pro to say "never again" - I also tried the keyboard and didn't much like it.

Portability is important, but not absolutely essential. I'll be using it 60% docked at the office, 20% at home and 20% on the road. It *will* get bumped and scraped, but not an ungodly amount.

The T480 appeals to me because of its sturdiness and because it's the first thing that came to mind when I started thinking about a new laptop, but if the XPS13 could also last me 4-5 years of (ab)use, I'd seriously consider it. The last time I bought a computer, Dell was known for shoddy workmanship, but things move fast, I guess.

I guess I could go for a cheaper option, but I'd prefer to pay extra for durability, a good screen and a better-than-good keyboard that will last me for 4+ years. Are there any realistic alternatives?

E: I could also maybe go for a used 4th or 5th gen X1 Carbon, maybe.

If you want to stick with HP I have no real complaints with my work 830 G5. A little bulky compared to the competition but coming from and old Elitebook you won’t notice it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah 1440p is crucial here since I'll be remoting into a machine with that res and it's a pain to switch res for the remote session for various reasons. Not sure how that would work with a 2160p screen but scaling might make it horrible and 1:1 will be way too tiny.

Maybe I just get the Gram17.

You'd be better off getting a 4k screen for the remote system, opens up your laptop options immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Even if I could swing it (it’s a work machine and work doesn’t like snowflake configs) I would be on a larger desktop 2160p display and I doubt that would work well keeping the same res and UI scaling while going down to a 17” for the laptop.

It won't make any difference - 3840x2160@150% is exactly the same as 2560x1440@100% so far as desktop size goes.