Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Senf posted:

$680 seems like a really solid price for this guy, but I know how this thread usually feels about IdeaPads. Thoughts? Is this really an XPS competitor or should I be concerned about its lower build quality?

IdeaPads fall apart after 2 years, but they sure do seem solid during that first year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, that definitely looks like an M2 slot. The 960 EVO is coming out in like a week and would be a really nice upgrade that you could put in that slot (I'm going to do this with my new black friday ASUS laptop, suffering through the factory install in the meantime)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Longbike posted:

Help, thread.

I am considering purchasing a big, dumb gaming laptop. I believe that my use case is fringe enough to justify such an expenditure, but I am open to suggestions and/or being told I am silly and need to re-evaluate my life choices.

Use case and requirements:
I already have a Surface Pro 4 as my mobile laptop and primary work machine. This will be a largely deskbound machine, and will spend most of its life plugged into a keyboard, mouse and 1440p monitor.
I spend a significant amount of time working overseas (the UK) and fly back and forth several times per year. I currently use a Y50 which I purchased on this thread's recommendation nearly two years ago. It has been fine, but the 860m is getting a little long in the tooth, and struggles running Path of Exile at 1440p, much less anything more demanding. I'd like something that could feasibly run witcher 3 at 1440p without having to dial everything back, so am probably wanting a 1070.
I will use this machine primarily for personal use, but am increasingly running VMs for work purposes and will likely find myself running a couple of instances of Server 2008 along with a few instances of windows 7 for testing training configurations. As such, I'll probably start out with 16 GB of ram, but will upgrade to 32 if needed.
On the whole, I strongly dislike the styling on gaming laptops. I may need to bring this machine into the office from time to time for demo purposes and want something that won't embarrass me with its looks.
I'm not real concerned about weight, since it won't be moving around a lot, and only ever expect to need 1-2 hours of battery life. I'd prefer to keep it at 15.6" however, since when I do need to move it it must fit into a padded case and then into a pannier. I'd like something with solid build quality though, since I'll want this to last 3 or so years of getting hauled around in carry on luggage and occasionally transported by bike.

I am resigned to the fact that a laptop meeting the above criteria won't be cheap, and am expecting to pay something between $1400 and $1800.

So far I've found the Clevo P650RS which looks like a good and decent looking option with all the branding removed. Anyone here got a trip report on these? Its my favorite option of those listed and looks like it is probably easier to service and upgrade than the other two.

The Clevo P650RP6 looks to be nearly the same as the one above, but has a 1060 instead of a 1070. Is the lower power consumption of the 1060 a big factor on this laptop? I'm willing to pay for the substantial performance increase of the 1070, but only if its not going to end up sounding like a hairdryer and/or throttling under load.

The MSI GT62 appears to have decent specs and build quality for the price, but looks pretty annoying. I guess I could live with it if I had to.

The ASUS ROG GL502VS also suffers from too much edgy :pcgaming: styling but looks decent otherwise.

Speak sense to me.

A 1060 would also satisfy your requirements and is a better value proposition. You can also usually save money by choosing a model with an HDD and upgrading it to an SSD yourself, but ymmv. But if you want the 1070 and the SSD then those choices seem fine

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Medullah posted:

How awful are USB docking stations? I'd like to use my laptop as a desktop occasionally, if not always, and unplugging/plugging in monitors and such is a minor inconvenience. I can't see a docking station that connects via USB taking advantage of a laptop's graphics card, right? Or am I crazy.

USB docking stations don't use your laptop's video card at all, as far as I know, but for web browsing and the like they're totally fine. Some high-end USB docking stations have a PCIe slot for a graphics card, which is a somewhat-viable option for people who lack a dedicated hardware GPU