Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

go3 posted:

Physics pretty much says you're not getting thin, light and awesome CPU/GPU. That heat has to be dealt with somehow and if not it'll throttle down to nothing.

Fan noise and maybe fan durability is what limits that. You can cool anything with enough fin surface area and airflow, if a shoebox would work too.

Oh and I'll just put here the idea of using a turbulent airflow to take better advantage of fin surface area, in case that hasn't been patented or isn't in common use yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
A used T420 with 1600x900 would be good (or analogous 15" option), if you can't get a 1600x900 screen on the E440. If I remember correctly, you can get a 1600x900 screen on the E440 though.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

SSJ Reeko posted:

Flipperwaldt warned of the iffy screens in the S440, and shrughes gave an excellent idea about looking at older thinkpads. Going a few years back to the T420 seems like it'll net me a very nice machine for a much lower cost than I'd pay otherwise.

I assume that in the realm of flash heavy websites and high res video, the 2nd gen i5 or i7 in the T420 would knock things out of the park? It may not be AS fast as Haswell, but I'm not buying this to edit video and in practice I can't imagine it'll really make that much of a difference. I looked at some pictures of the screen and it seemed better than the S440 for sure, anyone have impressions on that?

I'm really not seeing any downside to nabbing an older T420 with a 1600x900 screen outside of making sure I buy a good one from a good source. Anything I should know about it?

Either the T420 or the 520 would work, I should specify. I read that the 520s actually got the better screens. Assuming I can nab one, is that a better route to go? I also find that the X120e has a pretty fantastic screen, so if people think that screen is awful too then I'm probably gonna be fine either way.

The 520's have fantastic 1920x1080 screens and good 1600x900 screens. Also, 2nd gen CPUs easily hold up today, imagine a 15% penalty on their clock speed.

The X120e does not have a fantastic screen in the same sense. It's a usable screen like the T420's.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

SSJ Reeko posted:

Any word on how the 1366*768 screen is on the T520? I know that res on a 15.6 inch screen isn't ideal, but that model seems to be the most plentiful second hand.

That's just a horrible idea in general.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Notebookcheck has a review of the Portege R30 with FHD screen.

Turns out the screen is good. Unfortunately they reviewed the dual core and not the quad core model. The T440p's probably a better portable quad core option even though the screen is worse, because the keyboard is better.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo also came out with a thing yesterday.

7.5lbs of 17 inch gaming notebook.

Wow, it has exactly one monitor output.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

internet inc posted:

Are docking stations still a thing? My dad wants a laptop he can occasionally carry around the house (so portability isn't much of an issue) but wants to be able to dock it in his office so that he can use a standalone keyboard, monitor, speakers, etc. He also likes being able to securely attach the docking station to his desktop so that he can lock his laptop in place. My younger brothers who still live with him have "borrowed" his laptop for days at a time before and he'd rather lock it than try to reason them.

You don't need a docking station to lock your laptop, and maybe not all docking stations have the ability to "lock" the laptop to the docking station. Most "business" laptops have docking stations. I think many can "lock" the laptop by means of some kensington lock slot and a switch with a lot of them, but I'm not sure.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 3, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

internet inc posted:

Yeah, I should have been clearer. Any good business laptop recommendation that can be used with a lockable docking station?

It seems that Lenovo uses docking stations that don't lock. Same thing for Dell. This is going to be harder than I thought. Might have to settle for a simple docking station + Kensington lock.

I don't know about Lenovo's newest docks, but I think Dell's do: https://i.imgur.com/y12BKtb.jpg

I think the lock/unlock slider (in the bottom right picture) won't be movable to the "unlock" position if you have a Kensington lock in that hole above it.

Edit: Likewise, you can see a similar-looking thing with Toshiba's, and you can see an actual lock on some pictures of HP's, but on others... there's just a plastic cover? I don't know what that's about.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 3, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Calidus posted:

Thinkpad Docking stations can lock onto the laptop with a key and the dock can also accept a laptop lock. So you would connect the lock to the dock then connect the dock to the laptop. I have a ThinkPad Ultra Dock for work which is connected to two external monitors and it works great with my T440p.

Okay, the ultra dock looks like it still has the key-based lock. The Basic dock doesn't seem to have it though, based on pictures. So... pick the right one.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
There's an interesting picture of the upcoming new Thinkpad Helix here: http://liliputing.com/2014/08/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-2-ideatab-s8-leaked-ahead-ifa.html

There are also people saying on internet forums that the word is that physical trackpoint buttons will make a comeback in Broadwell.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

I think someone here bought a Helix when it first came out

That doesn't look like a bad machine but at the same time the market seems to have rejected the "Tablet with detachable keyboard+extrabattery" product segment. Maybe I'm mistaken but nobody's mentioned buying one of those types of machines in months in this thread

That was me. I think the interesting part of that link is the rendering, with discrete buttons.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Isko posted:

Well I just got my new Thinkpad T440s and I'm quite happy with it so far. I guess I lucked out and didn't get the crappy screen. I was pretty much planning on replacing the screen myself if that happened. In case anyone didn't know, the T440s originally shipped with an AUO brand screen for the IPS choice which lots of people liked but then later on started shipping an LG brand screen that a lot of people thought was a lot worse. Weirdly my screen is actually listed as Lenovo even though it has the same model number as the AUO brand. The screen is good though. Not sure if this means they have phased out the crappy screens finally but just wanted to share my experience.

Was it a touch model or non-touch model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I guess you should consider the Razer Blade and also the MSI GS60.