Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

Putting a huge TV on your desk and treating it like a normal monitor is pretty dumb, yes. However, TVs at a normal couch distance are not particularly "too bright" (alternatively, if you have one that is too bright then you can just adjust the settings until it looks good) and won't "burn your eyes out of your skull" if you're in a well-lit room like a normal person :psyduck:

I can attest to text being absolutely terrible on a TV. It wasn't because that the TV is too bright or that I was sitting too close to it. It's just that TVs are that bad at displaying text. The edges of each letter were horrible to look at.

That said, my roommate had absolutely no problems with it. I don't get it, but there are people, like yourself, who don't notice, or don't care about the way text looks on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

V for Vegas posted:

Man that new zenbook is one sexy machine

The top of that looks so pretty with the blue finish and the Gorilla Glass. :swoon:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

QuarkJets posted:

How close were you to the screen, and how large was it?

e: Also, were you using a VGA or DVI/HDMI connection (please don't say that it was S-Video or something)? A digital video connection from my laptop produces a pretty crisp and clear picture, but a VGA connection on my older laptop definitely resulted in a noticeable degradation in quality.

I don't remember exactly how big the room was, but probably around 8' away from a 40" screen connected to his computer via HDMI.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

It's allowable on 11" and 12" screens.

768 pixels is still just...ugh.

Yeah. I can deal with a larger pixel pitch than anyone here would recommend. In fact, I have 1366x768 on my 16" laptop right now. What hurts more than anything, other than the physical pain of using that monster, is that 768 is just too few vertical pixels for comfortable use.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
For a Thinkpad, they all say "starting at x.xx lbs". What exactly could you configure to add weight to it, other than a larger battery?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

returnh posted:

Does anyone know the answer to this? I really like the look of the T430 / X230 but I can't wait that long for Haswell-updated versions either (I thought someone said they were coming this month?).

Someone earlier in the thread claimed there would be an announcement on the 13th, but that didn't pan out. Not really surprising seeing as how it was a completely unsubstantiated claim. IIRC, the T430 was released about two months after IVB was released, so take that for what you will.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

oneof27 posted:

I'm in a similar boat as you. I suspect there are a few folks who check this thread compulsively for news.
I have the money for my T430 and I'm waiting as long as I can for Haswell. If only for a cheaper non-Haswell unit.

On that note, I'm on the B&N Gold site configuring a T430. What the heck are the differences in processors? I'm more concerned budget wise about spending my money on getting RAM and installing it myself.

Beyond the i5/i7 having turbo, it's basically just down to how fast they run. I don't believe any of the i7s available for the T430 are quad core, so I'd just get the cheapest i5. For the few hundred MHz the faster ones run, it's not worth spending the extra money.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Am I imagining things, or are the T430 laptops on the Lenovo outlet pretty bad deals? I took a look at it to see what they were offering for a T430 with a 1600x900 resolution, and I can get one with comparable specs up here in Canada for cheaper.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
How much of a downgrade is the Thinkpad 1x1 wireless compared to the Intel Advanced N 6205? There's a T430 in the Lenovo outlet that has the latter, and I'm thinking about picking it up.

I would wait for Haswell, but given that my soft budget is around $625, buying new is probably out of the question. The one in question has the specs I want, save for the wireless, for less than $580. In addition, my friend who offered to let me ship it to him is leaving the states this month, so if I want to take advantage of the outlet, I have to act within the next week or so.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

Kinda a late response here, but you can easily pick up a 6205 card off ebay for $30 or so, and installation takes about 10 minutes (the first time--after you've opened it up once you can do it in 5), so that it doesn't have it from the get-go should not weigh heavily on your decision. If you do opt for that route, just ensure you buy a card that very specifically says it's for Lenovo/ThinkPad use, as the laptop will only work with brand-specific firmware (just like Dell or anyone else).

Thanks for letting me know. It looks like I can get one shipped from China for about $20. All I need now is another T430 to show up with a 1600x900 screen for less than $600 so I can jump on it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been doing some searching, trying to see what rumours I could about the T440 release date, and this seems to imply that there isn't going to be a vanilla T440. I haven't found anything else to help confirm or refute this, but has anyone else?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zalakwe posted:

Sorry bout that, think it might have gone. There was nothing dodgy behind it apart from a Dell website. Anyway this one is broadly similar http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=70e57894. Particularly wondering what 4GB of ram is like with windows 8.

Edit: One I was looking at reappeared http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=70fe1ac3.

You can't link directly to a computer on the dell outlet site.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Went to go order a yoga today aaaaaand they're no longer on sale. Does anyone have a Canadian equivalent to the B&N link in the OP?

I did a quick search for "lenovo barnes and noble canada", and found this link on the NotebookReview thread that popped up.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Thanks, but I don't have a code for that?

That's weird. Just look for it on the forum page I mentioned: http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/668683-best-place-buy-lenovo-t430-canadian-customers.html

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Seamonster posted:

Wait, so you're "forced" to get dedicated graphics with the T440s? (I am ok with this)

Also interesting they're going with a consumer chip rather than some quadro model... Time for :pcgaming: I guess.
It's not even a particularly good dGPU though. I'd much rather just the integrated graphics, but in a CPU with a larger power envelope.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need a portable space heater that will play games. Budget is $2000, TIA.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I'm another person who's just going to get a T430 instead of waiting for a T440/s. I'm still open to other suggestions, but I plan on ordering in the next week or so.

I'm looking for something that is <=14", has more than 800 vertical pixels, and decent build quality. Discrete graphics is unnecessary, and I'd want better than stock wireless.

Soft budget is $650 CAD.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

Where's the best place to get T430 ThinkPads in Canada? The Barnes & Noble gold thing isn't available and I feel like a sucker using the Lenovo website. Or am I just going to have to deal with spending ~$850 on an Ivy Bridge laptop with a TN panel. (850 because I'm looking at the screen upgrade, i5 and upgraded wireless)

Googled Lenovo barnes and noble canada, and on the notebook review forum, I found this link.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

Sorry I should have mentioned - I do know of that site from Googling but I didn't know the password.

I'm not sure what happened when I copied it, but the link on that forum works just fine; I didn't need the password at all for it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm going to replace my optical drive in my T430 with an ultrabay caddy. Is there anything I need to look for or stay away from? Will one advertised for the T420 work?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got a T430 a few weeks ago, and I'm finally looking at getting a second RAM stick for it. Will the RAM run in dual channel mode if I mismatch capacities? It has a 4GB stick, and I'd like to add in an 8GB stick, but if performance would be better, I can manage with a second 4GB stick.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

But gently caress the function key being where control oughta be.

You can change that in the bios. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm going to buy an adaptor to replace my optical drive with a second HDD in my T430. Is there anything I should look for, or would this be fine?