Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I grabbed an Alienware 15 (not M15) on sale for a little under $1400 and have been pretty happy with it as a primary system. If you read reviews and watch videos people will have you thinking they are bursting into flames but I’m seriously not sure what they are doing. Mine doesn’t even run the fans when just web browsing or whatever and only ramps up a bit when games are capped to 60fps (default display is 60hz).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

SebAndSeb posted:

In terms of a regular laptop are XPS and ThinkPad still the most popular? I have a Precision 5540 for work which I guess is identical to an XPS 15 from the outside. It is pretty sweet but I've heard a bit about them being overpriced.

Yes the precision 55xx series is basically an XPS15 with Xeon CPUs and Quadro GPUs available. I have had a 5510 for about 4 years and it has been a great laptop. So much so I have held off on having work replace it, though that will come to an end soon as the battery is approaching half capacity.

From what I understand, the 7xxx series are a bit more chonky but will sustain boosts longer.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

I believe they are called carbon because they use carbon fiber. Most laptops in this price range do still use magnesium for the frame and bottom panel though. Guessing a mix of the two.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Well.....here's a stupid question. Am I cool holding down an SSD in my laptop with electrical tape? The cheap POS screw that came with it almost immediately snapped off the head leaving the hold down unusable.

Probably but personally I would sooner use a small blob of hot glue.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

99pct of germs posted:

First am I wrong for being bothered by the soldered memory? I typically get 3-5 years out of my laptops, I just want to know if onboard has legs compared to SODIMM. And while $1400 seems pretty good is it worth waiting for a sale or do I risk it being memory-holed for the 2024 version?

I haven't looked at the detailed specs of that model but soldered ram can usually achieve higher speeds and iirc low power ram can't be socketed at all.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Apple soldering storage is a problem because that's a wear item. It doesn't help that they don't use the highest endurance flash and their stingy defaults mean a lot of people run with high usage levels.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Bouillon Rube posted:

Yeah, the main challenge is finding one in decent shape. There are a ton on eBay (many with 1-2 year warranties) but a lot of them are clearly beat to poo poo.

Most MacBook pros in that age range will have some anti glare peeling which looks awful. Also assume any of those warranties will not be honored. Many have fine print of "warranty applies to the questionable no name charger we included which may or may not burn your house down", not the main parts of the laptop itself.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I went from an old desktop with a GTX 1650 to a rog ally often connected to a usb-c monitor/dock and can confirm it's nearly equal when plugged in.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah a rog ally is functionally similar to a laptop with a 1080p screen and an a ryzen 7 7840u. Coincidentally AMD just recently sent me a couple such systems (one with a 7840u and one with a 7840hs) so I've compared firsthand.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
A luxury pickup truck is probably the best parallel possible for a 16" 2-in-1 ultralight. It's cool that it exists but I don't know who it's for.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
17" laptops can be really nice for an only computer which is mostly used at a desk or countertop. Might be a good time to grab a Dell XPS 17 on clearance before the new models are out. Those new ones look awful, like they weren't paying attention to Apple's mistakes with laptops 4-8 years ago.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

isndl posted:

Armory Crate is trash if you actually try to use its features unfortunately. Get G-Helper, it's better in every way.

100x this. They have made some really nice improvements for the Rog Ally in recent weeks as well.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

Any major issues with the HP EliteBook line? There's a deal right now on this one that looks kind of tempting.

I have been using one of those and the slightly faster clone with the 7840HS (Firefly 14a). They are solid if you get the dream color display which it looks like that one has. My only complaint is that with an AMD APU I would actually prefer soldered RAM for the much higher clock rates. DIMMs usually top out around 5400-5600 MT/s while soldered can get in the 7000s.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I say this as someone who used to work in one of those stores...don't look to them for advice, even on the product they are selling.

There was some fuckiness with 3rd party switch docks several years ago but for the most part usb-c pd charging will negotiate the power which can be delivered before ramming 65+ watts down the wire. Most things will charge through usb-c though they may or may not charge quickly or operate at maximum performance. For example I have an 8 pound HP laptop which uses a giant brick with a barrel connector but it will also take power and charge from the hub built into my monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Lockback posted:

Yeah but a lot of laptops won't even go through the negotiation unless it hits a minimum, so your 10w phone charger might not register.

If it is actually charging Windows should tell you. It needs to negotiate the charge rate first though.

The standard phone chargers are often not USB-C PD, but they still won't cause issues even if they don't do anything useful. Oddly I have 3 devices which WILL charge from a little 15w Samsung phone charger. They won't show as charging in windows and often will barely tread water while watching YouTube, but the led will indicate they are charging. Fwiw they are the Rog Ally, an HP EliteBook 845g10 and an HP Firefly 14. Some of the Dell's I have come across will charge from those (and the switch charger for lols) but only when powered off.

In short, just get a real USB-C laptop charger which seems appropriate for the device and see what happens. Cross-compatibility is the main point of USB-C.