Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I know the OP says $640 is the new $500, but my work's budget for a 13"-14" laptop is $500. It needs to have enough horsepower to handle Adobe Connect (a Flash online videoconference/presentation program) and Google Docs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Rexxed posted:

Pretty much anything that's not best buy garbage tier will do that. Do you have any more requirements?

Well, it would be great if it didn't weigh like 5 pounds. What are my options for stuff that's $500 and not best buy garbage tier?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

B-Mac posted:

Anyone had any experience with the acer aspire s7 ultra book? Looks like there are some decent deals now them now. It has an i7-4500u, 256gb ssd, 8gb of ram and 1080p screen.

What are the deals you're finding for it?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

The Dell XPS 13 looks like the perfect laptop for me, but how is the trackpad/multi-touch gestures? I never realized how much I cared about the trackpad until I had to fix something on a friend's Toshiba work laptop.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Seamonster posted:

XPS 13 is the one to beat at that size atm unless you absolutely need OSX for whatever reason.

I believe the plain jane 1080p option is matte as well. Its actually a decent panel and critically claws back a big chunk of battery life from the high rez option. If you're a road warrior this is the way to go.

Keyboard is adequate. I'm used to the spread of 15 inch models (using a haswell XPS 15 right now) and came from thinkpad keyboards (still the best) before that so ymmv.

What's the battery life like on the latest version of the XPS13 when it comes to browsing+Google sheets? My MacBook Pro Retina is a couple years ago and struggles to get 6 hours these days.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is the new Dell XPS 13 FHD's battery life really that good (11-12 hours)? I'm on a 2013 rMBP 13 and I'm rarely getting more than 6 hours just browsing/using Google Docs.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Nope. I only was getting ~4 hours with mine browsing the internet. Streaming lasted longer b/c of hw decoders, and that was closer to 8. Mostly a great laptop, but the battery doesn't last as often as most mac stuff and the trackpad and wireless went on the fritz a couple times in the 3 days I tried one out.

drat, that sucks. It looks perfect for just about everything else.

Another thing: My wife and I both have 13" MBPr's, but we don't want to bring both of them on our trip to Thailand.

Any suggestions for a cheap netbook with an HDMI port?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So I'm moving to NYC and I don't want to bring my custom built behemoth of a gaming desktop with me. I am going to miss my GTX 1080 Ti, but not enough to lug it across the country.

My new job will involve quite a bit of air travel, so I'd love to be able to play Dead Cells and other resource-light indie games on the plane (while plugged into the outlet so I actually get to play for more than an hour). As for what I would do at home, it would mostly be Destiny 2, Warframe, Path of Exile, UX/UI design and programming. It would be great if I could also plug in 3 monitors + a proper keyboard and mouse to do the actual gaming and software development work on. Since it will pretty much always be connected to an outlet and I am always carrying a 12-inch Retina MacBook, battery life isn't a concern.

I know gaming laptops are pretty much huge compromises and it is always better to build a desktop unless you're dealing with unusual circumstances/constraints (and I think this would count as one). Based on previous posts, it seems like the Gigabyte Aero 15x would be a solid pick. I wish it had G-Sync though. The Razer Blade 15 looks great, but that keyboard layout is annoying.

Are there other options?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks! That is super helpful. I remember there was a lot of hype and excitement about G-Sync when it came out; is it not as big of a deal as people made it out to be?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

isndl posted:

Have you considered taking that 1080Ti out and slapping it in an eGPU enclosure? Would give you a lot more options in that you can pick just about any machine with TB3 support as well sidestepping the usual problem of laptop cooling being generally insufficient.

You could even get a new 13" to replace that MacBook and consolidate down to one machine, though most of them only have Intel graphics so whatever indie games you play on the plane need to be okay with that.

I was thinking about this! It looks like the quad-core in the MBP 13 isn't strong enough for Destiny 2 or other modern FPS titles, unfortunately. Are there any other quad-core laptops with a ThunderBolt 3 port and a beefier CPU?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

How is the Lenovo ThinkPad P1? I can't seem to find many substantial reviews for it, but it looks like a beast for the weight (3.76 lbs). The Quadro P2000 seems like an analog for a GTX1050 Ti, which is good enough for me when gaming on the go. And it looks like the RAM and storage are upgradeable?

edit: Seems like the ThinkPad X1 Extreme is nearly the same, with less of the enterprise workstation features.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 7, 2018

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm typing this on a 1080p X1 Extreme. I've only had it a few days, but so far I absolutely love it. Gaming performance is solid, the color accuracy is shockingly good for a 1080p matte screen from Lenovo, the touchpad is precise, the keyboard is wonderful, it's nice and light for a 15" multimedia laptop, and I can actually use it screen for work on the road. By comparison 14" and below feels a little cramped whenever I'm not plugged into a monitor (most UIs/tasks are fine, but it only takes one that isn't fine to make your whole workflow annoying).

Compared to the XPS 15 you accept a larger footprint and 20% less battery in exchange for a bit lower weight, better cooling, a second drive slot, a non-nostril-view webcam, not having to replace the WiFi card, and (in my highly subjective opinion) a more sexy and professional all-black aesthetic. Also it comes with the Trackpoint nipple but unless you're an old grandpa at heart like me, you won't care about that. It just comes down to your preferences on those minor factors.

My only beef with it so far is that it's a fingerprint magnet, which is also true of the XPS 15. Notebookcheck reviewed the 4k version and gave it very high marks in spite of its flaws, and none of those flaws apply to the 1080p version except the fans and CPU performance on battery which are easily user-corrected. Unless there's some major issue I haven't found yet, I think it's on par with the Holy One (assuming you buy it from the B&N Gold link in the OP to get the same price).

I can't quote you the differences between the P1 and X1, I thought it was just the graphics card but I didn't look too closely because I knew from the start I wanted Geforce, not Quadro

Awesome, that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, especially a beefy CPU that can scale up with an eGPU. I definitely want the 1080p version (I still don't get the lust for 4k screens on laptops).

Which CPU did you get with it?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

I got the standard ready-to-ship model with i7-8750H. It's much cheaper than a custom config of the same parts (at least for now), and aside from the lack of IR camera it's pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Got it. Did you undervolt/plan on undervolting?

Also, I think the link in the OP for the Lenovo B&N gold deal doesn't work anymore? nm, it works

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 7, 2018

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Are there usually Black Friday/holiday deals for Lenovo laptops that are worth waiting for? I won't be getting my laptop until I move in November anyway, but I don't know if there will be deals better than the B&N Gold program.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

space marine todd posted:

Are there usually Black Friday/holiday deals for Lenovo laptops that are worth waiting for? I won't be getting my laptop until I move in November anyway, but I don't know if there will be deals better than the B&N Gold program.

Any ideas about this?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any news about the 2xxx generation of mobile Nvidia GPUs? The Lenovo X1 Extreme looks just about perfect, but that 1050 Ti is right at the bottom of what I would want from a GPU.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

People have been saying this since the first time I looked at this thread, which was... 2015, apparently? So unless there's a specific new concern it seems like an unfulfilled prophecy to me. :shrug:

You seem to be treading the exact same FOMO loop I did, with very similar requirements, so let me save you a couple weeks: get an X1 Extreme or XPS 15. The 1050ti is fine, unless you have very specific gaming requirements that you haven't mentioned. It runs everything I've thrown at it at 1080p with medium/high settings, and a GTX1060 or above in laptops tends to get expensive and require annoying sacrifices or big money or both, as we've already discussed. This poo poo is subjective af but in my opinion that is the point at which you're probably better off with a separate laptop and desktop (unless you have Aero 15x money and really want one machine). Also the XPS 15 has 4-lane Thunderbolt 3 which will allow for external GPUs in the future should the 1050ti ever fail you. I have no idea if the X1 Extreme does, I may have to figure out how to test that myself.

The fingerprint scanner issue on my Extreme seems to have been due to me pressing too hard, a light touch works fine. I haven't gotten any BSODs or weird poo poo in a while now either, so I think the last BIOS update corrected whatever that was (knock on wood). I think I'm going to stick with it.

Kind of pissed at Thinkpad support though, my last few experiences were great but this time around I've been waiting on a support call since Saturday, still no love. I guess you have to call in.

Haha, you're totally right. By the way, the X1 Extreme has 4-lane TB3 so eGPU is definitely an option.

Do you know what the DPC latency is like? Here's a tool if you want to test it: https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Reporting in to say that I got an Alienware Area 51m (i9 9900k/RTX 2080) and it is absolutely ridiculous. Having always built my desktop computers for audio production, I am not used to any fan noise at all. But it is pretty unnoticeable unless I am gaming or mixing (where I can't hear it anyway).

For my very specific use case (I move around too much to justify lugging around a desktop), it is perfect.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How are temperatures under full load? Would you mind sharing some general impressions?

I was looking at the A51M and didn't realize how big and oddly shaped it was until I saw it had 16 x 16 inch dimensions. What kind of bag do you use to carry it around?

I've been eyeing a DTR recently and looked at the A51M as well as the Clevo DTRs (870TM, 775TM, 751TM).

Definitely! Temperatures...aren't great, but it's also packing an i9 9900k and RTX 2080 in a (relatively) tiny shell. In games and multimedia production, the CPU will go above 80 degrees. Maybe 90 degrees? I haven't really been paying attention. I'll do some tests tonight and post later with actual numbers. If there's a specific test you'd like me to run, let me know.

If I am running PRIME95, then it definitely hits 100 degrees and then it throttles back down to 3.5GHz. But since I am using this for games and rendering/mixing instead of stress test benchmarks, that's fine by me. I haven't done any undervolting or anything yet.

Temperatures are also not a personal problem for me because I use an external keyboard (Topre switches all day!) and pretty much never touch the actual laptop keyboard (nor the trackpad).

In terms of expectation management, it is best to think of this thing as a very small high performance desktop than a very large laptop. I actually haven't gotten a bag for it yet, but I will be getting this one because I also have to carry around a 15" Retina MacBook Pro for work (oh god my back).

The fan noise will definitely pick up when I'm playing or producing, but at that point, I'm wearing headphones or the music/game sounds are louder than that anyway. Honestly, it staggers me how (relatively) quiet and cool it is considering what is in this drat thing.

I looked at the Clevo DTRs, but they are ugly as hell to me. I have never been a fan of the Alienware aesthetic either (my desktops have almost always been in windowless Lian Li or Nanoxia cases), but I think this computer is actually really nice looking, at least in white. I have also never been a big fan of RGB poo poo, but I actually think it looks really nice because of the white trim.

I am not a professional display critic and haven't calibrated the display, but I love that it is 144Hz *and* has G-Sync. I have a Razer Blade 15 RTX 2060 right next to it, and I think they both look great in terms of color quality, but the Alienware's G-Sync makes for a much better experience when framerates inevitably go below 144Hz.

The Tobii eye/head tracking thing is useless for me, but maybe it'll be cool at some point? The auto-dimming thing is kind of annoying, but easy to disable once you know why it's happening.

I can't tell you how good the speakers are because I plugged in my audio interface the moment I unpacked it.

I got 16GB and the 256GB SSD option because I am planning to replace both with 64GB and 2TB for cheaper. I'm excited to try out the upgrade process. I do wish it had 2 Thunderbolt ports though!

Again, if you share this very specific usecase with me (lots of cores and threads in something that is somewhat portable), I think it's an amazing "laptop". Otherwise, I would recommend something like Gigabyte or Razer (or building your own desktop).

Let me know if you have any questions!

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any reason why a Razer Blade 15 won't boot into Universal Boot CD from a flash drive? I hit F12 to go to the boot menu after restarting -> I select the UBCD option and hit enter -> the screen goes black for a half second and then it just shows me the boot menu again. I can select the regular boot to windows option and it boots that up fine, but it just won't boot the UBCD.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 5, 2019

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

wolrah posted:

Is Secure Boot enabled? It is by default on a lot of OEM-built machines (because it's a good thing for most users in most situations).

I'd assume UBCD is not using a signed bootloader, so if it's enabled you'l need to turn it off.

Good point! I thought I turned it off, but I'll verify. Thanks!

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there a particular SODIMM make and model I should get when upgrading? I'd like to get 32GB of DDR4-2400.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any way to use three finger drag on Windows like you can on Mac OS X? It's a small thing, but one of my favorite things about using Mac laptops vs Windows ones.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DrDork posted:

The correct choice for typing experience continues to be the ThinkPad line, with basically no other serious competition.

Which reminds me: has anyone heard anything about a X1 Extreme refresh with a 16xx GPU? I assume they'll throw a 1650 in it to compete with the XPS, but Lenovo also is often a bit late to the game with new parts, so I've no idea how long I might be waiting to see whether I like the look of a X1 E or the 2019 XPS 15 better.

Also wondering the same thing! An X1 Extreme with refreshed Intel and Nvidia guts would be amazing.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Extreme-is-about-to-get-even-more-extreme-with-the-2019-Gen-2-refresh.420457.0.html

quote:

Last year's ThinkPad X1 Extreme continues to be one of our highest-rated business laptops because of its stable chassis design, excellent CPU performance, 4K UHD panel with no flickering, and ease of serviceability. Lenovo will be upping the ante this year with the ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 by including Intel 9th gen Core i9 H-Series CPUs and a GTX 1650 Max-Q GPU to supplant the 8th gen H-series CPUs and GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q GPU of the 2018 model.

Other new features include a brighter 4K OLED touchscreen and an even higher 4 TB storage option. The OLED panel will likely be the same panel as found on the upcoming OLED IdeaPad C730 and OLED Razer Blade 15.

Welp, July can't come fast enough.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DrDork posted:

I will be very interested to see how much being a Max-Q part hurts it. The drop from 50W to 35W is pretty significant, to the point where I wonder if it'll be meaningfully faster than the Gen1's 1050 Ti, albeit at a lower power profile. Also real interested to see what exactly the $1500 configuration actually includes (I'd assume 1080p non-HDR, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5-9(3|4)00U).

For me, the use case is 75% productivity-on-the-go and 25% indie gaming, so I am definitely okay with more of the same GPU if it means a lower power profile. Still, I'll be interested in benchmarks when they are available.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ocrassus posted:

I'm a bit concerned about these. On the one hand, the colour reproduction and high contrast ratios would be super nice to have, but I am eternally concerned about burn-in and display degradation.

Yeah, same. I forget if it was this thread or the display one, but there was some discussion about OLED burn-in and iirc it was still really bad :cry:

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

marjorie posted:

Is there a consensus on typical, real-world performance of the i9-9880H versus the i7-9750H (e.g., whether the thermal situation of laptops wipes out the performance improvement of the i9 due to throttling)? I couldn't find many reports outside of simulated benchmarking.

I'm guessing for gaming (even if CPU-heavy games are in the mix), my money would be better spent upgrading from a 2070 to a 2080 if the cost is roughly the same (e.g. an i9 w\ 2070 vs i7 w\ 2080), but I'm not sure.

What games are you playing? What's your target framerate? Is weight/bulkiness a consideration or is it going to be just occasionally moved from desk to desk?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Looks like MSI is going to release a competitor to the Alienware Area-51M in the form of the GT76 / GT65 (?)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT76-Titan-officially-confirmed-and-already-winning-awards.421170.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Exclusive-leaked-images-show-MSI-GT76-laptop-dragon-baring-its-gaming-fangs.420772.0.html

15 / 17 inch, 9600K/9700K/9900K, RTX2080, slim bezels, a decent keyboard.

IIRC MSI's 2080s also have higher TDPs than Clevos (180w to 150w) but still lower than Alienware's (200w).

It'd be interesting to know just how many units of these kinds of DTRs (laptops with desktop chips like the A51-M or the Clevos) are moving for MSI to bother, since their Titan series has been using the HK chips for a couple of generations now and they already have their 8950HK / 2080 Titan, which will no doubt be refreshed to the 9980HK.

Probably be 4k at minimum.

Yeah, I saw this and was really interested in how the thermals are going to be. I love my insane Alienware Area-51m, but I am super curious to see how MSI is going to perform.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

DrDork posted:

Dell's updated XPS 15 lineup is live: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/laptops/new-15/spd/xps-15-7590-laptop

For $1150 you get a 9300H/8GB/256GB/Gtx 1650 with the 97wh battery, which seems like a pretty decent deal for what it is.

An extra $400 gets you...a 9750H, which unless I'm missing some other upgrade in there seems like a hilarious waste.

$1950 gets you a 9750H/16GB/512GB and the OLED screen, which is honestly less than I expected that was going to cost.

Now I really want to see what Lenovo is gonna price the X1 E at.

What was the final verdict on the 1650 vs 1050? All I want is something to play Destiny 2 on.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

AgentCow007 posted:

Yes and please put a big sign on the front that says "PREDATOR" because everyone will associate me with badass aliens and definitely not child enthusiasts

lmao

OLED looks amazing, but it is killing me that all the options are currently capped at 60Hz.

I also wish Razer put G-Sync on their Blade 15s, but instead, they're going with 240Hz panels. That seems to be a great benefit for...CS:Go players?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Sniep posted:

ya'll hatin' on razer but i'm not seein that in evidence on their new poo poo. seems good af so far

They look awesome but god I would much rather have 144Hz with G-Sync than 240Hz without.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Atomizer posted:

Do you have V-sync enabled in the game and/or in the nVidia settings? Even if not, at higher refresh rates tearing is less obvious because the partial frames exist for a shorter period of time and thus are less noticeable.

That makes a lot of sense. Still, when I was testing out a Razer Blade 2080 at the same time as an Alienware Area-51M with G-Sync, I could definitely feel a difference in user experience, especially in competitive FPS games.

It's a bummer too because the Razer Blades look so good.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there much difference between the 8th and 9th generation 6 core Intel i7s in the Razer Blade 2019 and its refreshed version for gaming/thermals/acoustics?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So I have an Alienware Area-51M with an RTX 2080 for my home machine and just got a Razer Blade 15 with an RTX 2080 Max-Q. I pretty much only play Destiny 2 and I easily hit 140+fps on the Area-51M, but I am only seeing 70-80fps on the Razer Blade. After a steady 144fps, it's pretty jarring to go back to 70-80fps, especially on a non-G-Sync display.

I know this is just nitpicking with a bunch of really expensive hardware, but is there really that big of a difference in performance between the laptop RTX 2080 and the RTX 2080 Max-Q?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Yes. The 2080 Max Q is only about 5-10% faster than a full TDP laptop 2070.

drat, that's crazy. I knew it was slower, but I didn't realize it was by that much. I think I'm going to return it and get something cheaper for now.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Yeah, the battery life difference between the Blade and the GX502 is pretty massive. Of course, I'll primarily be using it in hotels, but still..

bull3964 posted:

I feel almost like a shill bringing it up again, especially since I'm not serious about buying right now, but take a look at the GX502. It won't be quite as good a form factor, but it's a lot cheaper, has a full TDP 2070, and has switchable Gsync and Optimus.

Yeah, the GX502 looks amazing, but I love the Razer Blade design so much. I figure if I'm spending almost $3k on a laptop, I better like all of it.

I'd even be okay with the Razer Blade as it is if it had G-Sync.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Toalpaz posted:

lol

My 2016 razer blade stealth refurb I got 2.5 years ago's charger port/mobo shorted. My 3rd charger (I've replaced them about every 9-12 months) started blinking indicating a mobo short a few weeks ago and I was like, drat another defective charger. If I left it plugged in it would eventually start charging again though stopped blinking so I thought well whatever.

Last night while the laptop was on my chest I noticed smoke and was like 'wtf' then my charger port started sparking and lit up in fire. I removed the charger and put it in the sink and the fire went out. The laptop still 'works' but I don't know if the mobo/battery/charging port/charger is the issue or would need to be replaced and I'm informed I should be looking to buy a new one rather trying to replace the parts and it's a hazard.

It's sad! It was a really good machine for browsing the web and playing eve on wine but like... nothing really justifies that happening on a 1500$ cad machine.

drat! That's scary.

Did you get the latest charger from Amazon or straight from Razer?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

The Razer Stealth is getting i7-1065G7 Ice Lake (at 25w) and you can spec it out with a GTX1650 if you want.

https://www.cnet.com/news/razer-blade-stealth-ultrabooks-it-in-white-with-ice-lake/

Edit: Models equipped with the DGPU are 15w for the CPU instead of 25w.

Wow, they're sticking to 100W USB-C PD even for the GTX1650 version. This looks really compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure if it had any sort of adaptive frame rate on the internal panel, Razer would be crowing about it. That said, I'm really seriously considering getting rid of all the various PCs I have (XPS15, Surface Pro, Desktop), distilling down to the 4k model, and tossing my GTX1080 into Razer Core X Chroma for extra ommph on external monitors and calling it a day. I mean, even if it is a 15w mobile part, the i7-1065G7 has to be close to my desktop's i5-3570k's performance running a GTX1080, right?

In other news, UNLEASH THE NEXT POINTLESS SPEC RACE at IFA. A bunch of new models from Acer are getting 300hz panels. Because...that's needed with notebook graphics being what they are.

Yeah, I'm still baffled as to why Razer doesn't offer G-Sync on their Blade laptops, even as a premium. It would be especially useful for the lower end models where they are definitely not exceeding the refresh rate of their displays.