Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Unsure if this is the right thread or not...

The thin top layer of plastic(?) that covers my laptop trackpad has started to flake off.
  • The under layer is rougher and stickier.
  • It still works, but it just feels unpleasant to the touch.

Is there a way to fix the track pad surface myself?
  • Do I have to send it in to the shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends hoping for some info and a recommendation for a gaming laptop.

I tried researching around Newegg, Reddit, and Google, but there’s a lot of variance in the info I found. I thought there was a Reddit mega thread with recommended laptops in different price brackets but I couldn’t find it.

The last gaming laptop I bought was well before the pandemic so I’m not sure what the technology is now and also what the appropriate price points are.

I mainly play older games and games with low requirements like Path of Exile but sometimes stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Things I want to play in the future: Starfield and Diablo 4.

Are there any useful articles I could read / YouTube’s to watch / goon wisdom I can get?

Budget is $2k - are there any clear best in class goon preferred options?

E: https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g16-g614ji-xs96-gaming/p/N82E16834236376

Seems like it is a solid choice?

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 21, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lockback posted:

Sorry I can't be more help, there may be more/better deals in a week and for sure I think there would be more by this summer. So it depends on your timeline.

You were an enormous help! Your input helped guide my research in a more educated and effective direction!

Thank you for taking the time to draft such a useful effort post :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Also cross posting - Is there a goon guide of what software to install, packaged software to uninstall, and other best management practices for a new pc?

I’m assuming bloatware needs to be removed and some system settings should be optimized.

I ended up going with the asus over the Lenovo (mainly because of the huge difference in shipping time). https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g16-g614ji-xs96-gaming/p/N82E16834236376

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I had never even heard of ninite before! I look forward to exploring!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

sirbeefalot posted:

This combo specifically has been great for me, the 10ft cable is nice and flexible and has lots of reach. The charger is ridiculously small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T5QN2TR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PVPTNZL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

What a neat and useful device!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Jiro posted:

Should this person note down drivers needed beforehand?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Best thing is usually to format and clean install of Windows. It's reasonably straightforward these days - and shouldn't take very long. Would you be willing to explore this as an option?

I also just got a new laptop as well and honestly it’s kind of scary to do a format and clean install because it’s my new laptop and it works right now and I don’t want to break it even if I k is it’s pretty straightforward to reformat lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lockback posted:

In general laptops have gotten much better, especially since like 2018 or so.

For gaming, Lenovo and Asus are generally really good, Gigabyte, HP, MSI are generally good for more budget options.

To avoid I think Dell's non-XPS line is generally crap (and the XPS line is usually pricey because they are targeting corp buyers). I would not buy an Acer Nitro, and I am a bit weary of Acer in general though admittedly you can do really well. Those Walmart no-name things are generally "You get what you pay for". Razors are fine but I think they are over-priced and run hotter just for the same of being very slightly slimmer than a Legion 7 Slim. Alienware is usually overpriced and they run hot & poor battery life but they are solidly built and when they have sales they can actually be great deals, especially if the laptop is just going to live on a desk anyway.

I wouldn't buy top top of the line for laptops either, usually things with maxxed out specs are going to be priced poorly and usually generate too much heat.

Honestly, I don't know if this is really that needed. The last couple higherish-end laptops generally had a antivirus I uninstalled and a "try Office 365" and otherwise that was it. The included programs like myAsus and such usually have really good features that you can use and are pretty lightweight.

A budget laptop might be bad, but the decent machines are usually pretty clean these days.

Good to hear! I have an Asus and will follow advice accordingly.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Btw ty everyone in this thread for helping people with their laptops :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’ve got this rascal: https://www.newegg.com/eclipse-gray-asus-rog-strix-g16-g614ji-xs96-gaming/p/N82E16834236376

When I play BG3 the fan goes hyper drive like the laptop is getting ready for takeoff.

The armoury crate software shows the fan going to 3500 rpm’s and the internal temp going to mid 70s.

Is that normal?

I don’t think my laptop has made that much noise or needed that much fan for any other game… the software of BG3 runs smooth At ultra graphics but the fan noise and temp seems a bit much. But when I turn the graphics down, the fam intensity nor internal temp have any change…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love to game on my laptop, thank you thread!