Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Luxury pickup trucks are just a modern replacement for luxury full size cars, Gen Xers and millennials are trying to be edgy using a 4 door truck as a family sedan, in the same way that millennials covet tiny houses as a rejection of boomer housing values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'd imagine the 12" wide steel stripe that is added to the middle of a car and defines compact vs mid or full size represents about $200 worth of additional material. Larger cars tend to get poo poo gas mileage. We have a large car with a very modern engine in it but struggles to get 20mpg combined.

Not sure about other countries but in France small cars were dictated by refinery capacity and gas being super scarce post war so they had aggressive tax policies to limit their purchase. Popular cars like the 2cv were marketed/named based on their tax-hp.

In britan large displacement cars were taxed to keep the reliable, American model T and A with 3+ liter engines from stealing sales from otherwise uncompetitive British manufacturers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought it was kind of bullshit until I tried walking my my 3yo through the parking lot of daycare and in rolls a lifted full size truck on tall tires, and not only was he struggling to navigate the parking lot, but he absolutely would have run over a toddler without seeing them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

drowningidiot posted:

I’m looking at a Dell XPS 15 9530 for work. My biggest concern is the 4K display and I’m wondering if all my apps are going to display properly.

How is their vision

Dell ought to be able to drop a 1080 or 768 in there for your more elderly users. You'll probably need to get on the phone with an actual human though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

US deals make me so jealous.

I’m looking at this 2022 ASUS g14. Between two stacking discounts it comes out to 1.1k euros:

https://www.mediamarkt.es/es/produc...me-1530847.html

I’m really not familiar with AMD stuff, how does it stack up today?

My use case is non-intensive game development (Unity, UE) and whatever gaming at potato quality if need be.

I mean, the price delta between that $1500 USD laptop and the $700 laptop is... The price of a round trip ticket to NYC and a hotel room? Might as well get a free international trip out of the deal? Might be cheaper/faster to fly through Miami haven't checked recently

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

Mid town hotels in nyc start at around 700.

The cheapest I saw just now was $130 but I didn't look very hard, 48th & 8th Ave midtown Manhattan. I think we paid $200/night for the millennium Hilton overlooking WTC in the financial district. You can obviously pay a lot more than that

Don't stay in the financial district, that was a mistake

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure there's an effective way to do the in software so that it only draws like, 70watts, probably involving under clocking

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah Chromebooks are fine/good as long as you don't have a hyper specific set of applications you need to use. Most critical developer tools run on Chromebook now as Google uses them internally for many of their engineers

I haven't tried it personally, but I think I read there's some support for steam now

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah my last Chromebook was purchased in ~2018 on clearance and it supported vs code via crostini. It was pretty rough back then, and unsupported but (checks date) that was six years ago now. That's probably also how beta level steam support works

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

and while it's no speed demon, especially compared to Intel Chromebooks, it does all the time-waste Internet stuff I need it to. And since it's ARM, it does it with zero heat production, no fan, and like 20 friggin hours of battery life. That is where Chromebooks shine and once you start getting into the 500+ dollar ones with i3/i5 chips they lose that fanless appeal

Adding this to the OP

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought this for an upcoming road trip about a month ago. Also I've lost all my other battery banks for whatever reason.

Anker Prime Power Bank, 27,650mAh 3-Port 250W Portable Charger (99.54Wh)

https://a.co/d/6Qp4WKv $189.99

I don't know if that's an affiliate link or not I'm on my phone apologies if it is. I don't think it is

It's pretty neat, it can do 125w to two different devices simultaneously. I'm in my dining room working from here and forgot to bring my charger and... It's fine? It's been topping off my M3 MacBook pro between 65 and 85w this morning, and kept my laptop topped off all day yesterday and still has about 50% charge left

I've been looking for a true travel battery for my laptop since like 2017 this one seems pretty good. I haven't taken it on the road yet but being an Anker, seems like a pretty safe bet

I guess Anker is selling a fast charger for the batteries as well, I guess they want AV guys to buy like six of these and use them on high drain devices and swap them multiple times per day, or something

Form factor is a little weird, it's shaped like a red brick, but it's about half the size, and comes with a little fabric travel pouch, which is nice because the battery has an OLED status screen. Supposedly it has Bluetooth but that just seems excessive imo I dunno what you'd even use it for

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ah interesting about the Bluetooth. Being able to make it chirp would be nice my office or suitcase is often a mess

bull3964 posted:

I've been tempted, but I have the slightly older 747 and I don't really have any need to change two devices over 100w at once.

Yeah I don't need this ability but a lot of the dual USB-C stuff is like, yes it does up to 100w but if you so much as have a second cable plugged in, not even a second Device attached, the first port goes down to 60w max

Dual 125w means I can plug my phone and laptop in and not have to worry about it, it will just charge both at near max. Not worth upgrading for today, but nice feature to have

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's a pretty good deal, I wasn't super happy to pay... Checks Amazon invoice... $179.99 ... But been very pleased with the result

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BT for driver updates makes sense; if Apple releases new hardware or breaks compatibility, that's the death knell for sales for your charging device

I think USB-C PD is pretty solid at this point, but Bluetooth is pretty cheap insurance (about a dollar) to make sure you can keep selling your high margin, $100 charging widget with no hardware updates/revisions

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

As far as USB-C power, yeah the base stuff is solid but these types of things go beyond that.

First and foremost, PPS is still pretty new and

Oh, that's a deep rabbit hole. PPS stands for programmable power supply, I guess this is pretty new, the details aren't on the USB-C wiki page, you have to go dig for the USB-C PD page

I guess this is pretty fancy stuff. We're finally living in the future. I guess to output 125w it shoves ~3.2A @ 28v over the wire

Time to go throw out all my non 240w certified power cables

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah looks like the note 10+ came out in 2019 and the pixel 6 came out fall of 2021.

I say "pretty new" because I still have a pixel 5 (refused to keep the pixel 6 once I realized how big it was*) and so the only PPS Device I (probably) have is my work mac laptop.

I can't find anything to support the idea that either steam deck does PPS

I'm not the world's leading new tech guy but if I don't have any personal devices that support it, it's still pretty new, to me at least

*The pixel 8 is just barely bigger than the 5, finally, so probably going to upgrade soon

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can buy a pretty nice, external USB numpad for like $25 if you need a "full keyboard"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They will do a run every periodically

Some middle manager somewhere determines the schedule based on personal opinion which is based on order volume

If you ordered something obscure it might be longer than the 4 week lead time given. If an enterprise customer cancelled their order it might be ready tomorrow

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nintendo has a slightly nonstandard USB-C PD implementation which was like, probably an accident on their part, but makes it incompatible with like > 20% of 3rd party chargers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What year was your laptop built? 2019+?

Generally the lightning bolt means it's a thunderbolt 3 port but it could be indicating fast charging. If it's thunderbolt 3 then it should be able to charge your laptop since bidirectional power is a big feature

Not all USB-C ports will charge a laptop but if it was built 2019+ I'd give it 90%+ odds it works

If you have a cell phone or device charger you can try plugging it into your laptop and it might complain the charger isn't powerful enough, which would be a strong indicator you can charge from that port

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking forward to the day when USB4 is the defacto standard

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

We're going off topic but I'm considering moving from a 8T to a pixel 8. Good move? I don't want a phone as big as the 12R.

I had a pixel... 3? And then upgraded to the pixel 6. It was way too big, immediately returned it and downgraded to a new old stock pixel 5 as it was the newest reasonably sized phone Google sold

Turns out the pixel 8 is only like max ~1mm larger in any dimension than the 5. The battery is starting to crap out on my heavily used pixel 5, probably going to get the 8 soon

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Google-Pixel-6,Google-Pixel-8,Google-Pixel-5/phones/11732,12143,11394

Edit I guess it's 5mm taller

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 1, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well, loving stop then. You're not a college intern anymore

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

buffbus posted:

The only way I would consider using the same laptop for both work and personal gaming is if I needed to use something like solidworks for my job and had a mobile workstation with an RTX 5000 Ada or similar. Even then, I would dual boot and have the volumes encrypted and hidden from each other.

Strong agree

That was the wildest thing I've read posted by a grown rear end adult in this thread, probably ever

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kibner posted:

It’s more I don’t want the corporate monitoring and anti malware software on my personal machine.

Strong agree

Not to mention if your machine gets compromised for any reason and there's a breach of data you're instantly fired

My work stuff lives on my work laptop, if it gets compromised that's my works problem because there's nothing unauthorized on there

Having this conversation just reminds me of living in 2004 and why there's constant customer data being leaked all over the Internet because people want to game on their work computer

Just because your peers do irresponsible poo poo doesn't give you the right to

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe he's a semi freelancer YouTube editor thing. Media scales way up and down. Sony Pictures would not approve, but the local concert promotion art department probably don't care if their customer marketing email list gets sold on the black market

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

Bold statement from a guy that when you were probated complained that not being able to post on the SA forums of all things was literally interfering with your career and life. :raise:

Yeah but I didn't post it from my work laptop

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Like, the backlight is off, or really dim? Is it uniformly dim? Does it flicker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some light goes through and can bounce off the back. Not a lot, but enough to read a high contrast thing like black letters on white background my guess is that your backlight died for some reason