Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

That's kind of what I figured. It looked like a misprint.

This is also why I have been scoping out local Best Buys. In hopes of finding an open box deal and / or just beating Amazon's prices. Hard to beat Amazon's selection though. That HIDevolution G15 is looking pretty good despite what I know is an inflated price.

Last year's G15 is on newegg for 150 more than that G14 you listed at Best Buy.
https://www.newegg.com/brushed-black-asus-rog-zephyrus-g15-ga502iv-ph96-gaming-entertainment/p/1B4-005K-01S82

It is strage to me that there are so many G15s with different refresh rates. Also - I have found that newegg is usually marginally more expensive due to CA shipping / taxes.

Woah - that new Strix is just a *little* out of my price range at over 4k!!
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Keyboard-Windows-G713QR-ES96/dp/B08SJNPG9H/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Can someone who has a G14 and/or G15 attest to the battery life? Some places are saying 10 or more and some are saying less than 3 because of some problem with the gpu not sleeping.

What are some recommended laptops with 32gigs of DDR ram? 64 would be even better but it seems pretty hard to find anything configured that way by default.

This is not the best CPU / GPU combo but the price seems pretty great for 64gigs of ram and 4TB SSD (??)
https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-GX502GW-i7-9750H-IPS-Level-Computer/dp/B07TKBTHT4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Given how hard it is to find the G15 I want for under 2k, it seems like it would be wiser to get a MSI GS66 stealth or maybe raider and just upgrade the ram to 64gigs. Is there another high end laptop better suited to this idea? As noted earlier, the G15 only goes to 40 gigs and you lose DDR with the 32 + 8 (soldered on).

Seems like 64 gigs DDR + Ryzen + RTX seems like my best combo but in what model around 15-1800 or so? That Best Buy G15 RTX3070 deal just doesn't exist for 1800 anymore.

Ports on the back kind of seem limited to the Alienware, MSI Creator, MSI Raider, Asus Strix, this Gigabyte and a few others. Wish it was just an overall standard.
https://www.gentechpc.com/product-p/gigabyte-a5-k1-bus2130sh.htm

I *guess* it's possible to drive two 2k projectors with the G15 with a display dock, right? Actually what I REALLY need it to drive is an old Cintiq 21UX but it definitely is going to need a USB C to uh... DVI. Or would that be USB C to HDMI to DVI? Hm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 9, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

It depends on what you do but watching netflix with the screen dim but not all the way dim, wifi and BT on I use about 10+% an hour, so battery somewhere probably 8-10 hours. There's a few things you should do if you want to maximize battery life (like any laptop with a dGPU). The sleep thing got mostly fixed a couple months back, but it will sometimes decide to not go back every once in a while. A restart fixes it. Again, this is not a problem that only affects the G14, but since the G14 is marketed as a mobile powerhouse it's a bigger pain there and thus talked about more.

And honestly you're going in circles now so I don't think there is much more advice anyone can give you. Stop going to stores and causing a super spreader event trying to pick out a laptop.

That's good to hear about the battery. Definitely makes a difference. First two Best Buys I went to were literally being liquidated so I didn't spend more than 5 min in each. Regardless, it is unlikely I will go back unless it is to pick one up which was shipped.

Here is another G15 listed with a webcam. Weird. It's an older one with an older GPU but still seems like a decent deal.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/2021-ASU...edSellerId=8733

Xotic has an ETA of June for the Strix with the AMD 5900HX... uhhhhh....

Yeah - it does feel like I am going in circles because I wanted to buy a laptop in lieu of building a workstation due to the rarity of the RTX cards. Now I am questioning the wisdom of that idea. Newegg dropped a lot of 3060s and 3070s today but yeah... back to the problem of overpriced graphics cards.

Geez - this was literally available an hour ago. Gotta be quick! https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-3060-12g-p5-3657-kr/p/N82E16814487539

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 10, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If the reason you wanted to buy a laptop is because of the availability of RTX cards, and that's very literally the only reason, you should build a desktop. It sounds like it would be better for all of your intended uses at a lower price point.

Yes - that was the original idea. To maybe build a Mini ITX AMD but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I needed it for primarily VJ work, which the surface book2 just wasn't cutting it.
Surface book 2 is great for 2d painting and some light 3d work (especially fantastic with zbrush IMO) and I think I mentioned picking videos with a touch screen is pretty slick BUT...
Mixing 2-3 videos or more with filters and transitions just slows the surface book 2 to a crawl and notably the frame dropping is frankly embarassing when it happens regularly at a live gig.
Don't even think about running a visualizer with Resolume. The frame rates aren't worth it at all and visualizer will often crash running both.

Add to that was seeing my friend's GS66 Stealth, which was very impressive. Especially at the 1500 price point - which Best Buy is still running. Max the ram out on the Stealth or the Raider and you have a pretty good VJ machine and / or 3d workstation.

Since talking to you guys though and doing some research, I am very curious about the AMD G15 and the Strix series. Even that Riader from Cost Co just posted looks like a pretty good deal given that a VJ needs more screen space and HD space than most. That would certainly save me 600 bucks over Best Buy's Asus G15 3070 (which is finally back in stock at 1800). Still can't the open box deal to work for some reason. That's been very frustrating since it has happened on 3 occasions now.

Kind of amazed at the HP prices for the AMD Omen.
1400 for Ryzen 7 + RTX 3060 looks very reasonable.

Also - the AMD Strix 15 seems to have some pretty impressive horsepower over all. I just don't care about RGB lights. For a hot second I thought about getting the G15 animatrix thing or whatever because I sorely want it to say: "I am not the DJ. Stop requesting songs. I just do lighting." ... during a show. Just so I don't have to say it all the time.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The lid LED lights were only one one model of last year's G14 and aren't on any G15 iteration.

The GS66 Stealth is fine. You are leaving between 10-15% of CPU performance on the table and it will consume about 30% more power under heavy load than compared to the G15, but if the price is right and if you can get your hands on one, it's not a bad device. Keep in mind that it has a 1080p screen and not the 1440p one. That's also the lower end 1080p panel if it's the 240hz one instead of the 300hz one. The biggest differences between the two 1080p panels is brightness and contrast.

Compared to the 1440p display in the G15, it has a lower color gamut managing only 68% of Adobe RGB vs 86% in the G15.

So, there are tradeoffs for the $300 you save, manageable ones (especially considering supply constraints.) But you do get the 2nd DIMM slot too.

What do you mean about leaving 10-15% on the table? The second DIMM slot is kind of a selling point. Kind of amazed that 4k screens are such a premium on Nvidia RTX devices. Part of me wonders why anyone cares about RTX on less than 2k screens but I don't game so...

The color gamut stuff is really interesitng. Why is there such a trade off with CPU / GPU vs. screen stuff? I would imagine you would want a decent screen to show off all that power. Weirdly - this is a point of compromise for me becuase I tend to send my laptop output to larger screens or projectors... so... maybe I have anwered my own question.

The lid lights are kind of a joke and I feel like Asus realized it and only had it on that one model.

Finally talked to a Best Buy rep about the weird G15 stuff and she said that yeah... the reps can order it... IF the shipping is available but it will be about a month before it ships. So... there ya go. Demand far outsripping supply.
If I were to order it online or in store - IF it was available - it would be shipped April 1.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The GS66 is an i7 and it's 10-15% slower than the ryzen on average.

Oh - I thought there was a LOT more difference. Looking at the CPU on the GS66 vs. the CPU on the G15 looks like a pretty big jump as far as CPU benchmarks go.

Since the G15 with the 3070 at 1800 is some kind of unicorn, how does this compete at about the same price point?
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-AORUS-15G-XC-8US2430SH/dp/B08V8BXZ6D/

The specs look pretty good and it has 32g of RAM. Not a Ryzen but ...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

On paper, the stuff with the same components should perform pretty similar. The devil is in the details and at this point I think you are going to have to start watching reviews on YouTube as what matters beyond the specs is thermal performance. There are so many models of stuff out there that in don't think anyone has encyclopedic knowledge of how they all do.

The broadstrokes are Ryzen is faster, cooler, and consumes less power than Intel which makes paying the same price for an Intel version of the same bag of specs less of a value from a performance perspective.

Everything else is negotiable depending on what you want and just watch a few reviews to understand the pros and cons of what you are considering.

The QHD panel is new this year, so when you look at last year models, it's not going to be there.

Generally there are 3 different panels offered in gaming laptops, there aren't many manufacturers of panels.

1080p 240hz
1080p 300hz
1440p 165hz

The last one is new this year, the other two were the two options most went with on last year's model as base panel and then upgrade.

That's very good info about the panels.

I knew all that about the Ryzen but I thought the difference in performance was MUCH higher. Now I am kind of reconsidering my determination to switch to AMD. Would love to see an actual software benchmark in Maya for Ryzen vs. I7 or I9 etc. All I see is Blender - which I guess says a lot.

The Gigabyte laptops are looking pretty good right now since the G15 is so drat hard to find in the variant I want.
ESPECIALLY this one.
https://www.adorama.com/gikc8us5130p.html?CategoryID=217633

I realize I love my surface book 2 4k screen and I don't really want to go down to 2k or under if I am getting a RTX under the hood.
Just wish the gigabyte power and ports weren't on the right side. Why can't everyone just make laptops with the ports in the back?

On the topic of wishlists: Why doesn't anyone make a wireless phone charger in a laptop lid? Seems so obvious. Like - I don't have my cable. I will just set the phone on the laptop here and let it charge.

Waitaminnit... https://www.adorama.com/gia5x12130sh.html Those ports are on the back and the CPU / GPU combo looks good but...
of course "temporarily unavailable".

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 13, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Does anyone have any opinion on the build quality of the gigabyte machines? Also - are the Razer machines worth the price bump? Not a big fan of the Alienware machines but the Razer's look pretty nice.

Realizing I need a laptop for "content creation" - not gaming. Although I do a lot of heavy 3d work, I don't t think a sacrificing a 4k screen and dealing with a soldered ram is something I really want.

Just watched this review on the G15 (3070)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfFx_t1OaH0
...and he kept comparing it to the Gigabyte Aero - which was the other one I was strongly considering. What I thought was odd was him saying that the Aero was a better machine for gaming and then immediately said the G15 was the absolute best bang for buck. I just wish it wasn't such a unicorn. Also - as a teacher I use that printscreen button every drat day. Very annoying but things like how the G15 charges and battery life is pretty cool (trickle charge and fast charge). On the other hand - that OLED 4k screen on the Aero should be on par or better than the surface book 2 which is finally starting to give out after years of heavy use.

I am torn. Don't want to give up a nice screen for power. Having an RTX without a nice screen almost feels like a waste.

Razer here?
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Blade-Base-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B086MFZBMB?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
or Strix Scar here?
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-i7-10875H-Windows-G532LWS-DS76/dp/B0876M6CG9?ref_=ast_sto_dp
The Razer has a better screen I think but the Strix Scar has a better GPU.

For Maya though... all I can think about is Ryzen multicore rendering which I am *SURE* is a better idea for 3d.

Obviously I am considering bumping my budget closer to 2k.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 13, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Maybe this is a silly question but at the end of the last review I watched the reviewer stated that although the Ryzen laptop was clearly the winner in all the benchmarks by a wide margin, the real word difference was negligable.

In fact the performance gap wasn't as much as I would have expected given the benchmark difference BUT the Ryzen machine crashed a lot more and overall was more unstable next to the intel. So my question is:

If Maya and other Autodesk applications were built on Wintel machines and with Intel in mind... Should I just stick with that "safe" combo? I don't want my renders crashing and more to the point, I REALLY don't want instability during a gig when my visuals are being shown to hundreds of people or more. I can't risk that. Not willing to sacrifice stability for performance. Also not the first time I have run into this. Last time I built an AMD workstation uh... in the late 90s... it ran hot and was incredibly unstable next to the intel chips. Never forgot that experience.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Bofast posted:

I don't think I've seen a single laptop review mention crashes on either AMD or Intel, but at the same time I obviously can't guarantee that it's just a single dud review unit.

Either one should get the job done, though, so it's not like going with an Intel laptop is going to land you with something terrible. You might have to pay a bit more and/or put up with a bit more noise and less battery life, but if it does what you want well enough at an acceptable price it might be worth it just for your own peace of mind. :shrug:

This was the review I was watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTCpLg0nOoY

Yeah - I dunno - I am seeing kinda mixed reviews on the gigabyte laptops.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The upgradeability and full keyboard on the Gigabyte's are appealing. However, I am hearing bad things about the wifi and heat.

Right now here are the top contendors:

GIGABYTE AORUS with 3070
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834725125
Gigabyte Aero with 3060
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233375

... Is the 4k screen on the Aero really worth it? The wifi on the aero is what I saw was a deal breaker. Seems to be a recurring problem and spotty internet is the last thing I want. Great screen or not.

MSI Leopard with 3070
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834233375
This one has ports on the back!!! Also a webcam but no thunderbolt (?!?)

Last year's ASUS G15 with the 2060 :(
https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-ASUS-Zephyrus-Display-i7-9750H/dp/B08SVMSZGC/
This year's G15s with the 3060, 3070 amd 3080 continue to be unicorns and I have given up trying to get one due to availability and / or price mark up.

Right now that MSI Leopard is looking nice but I wonder how it compares to a GS66 Stealth with this year's gpu? I have noticed there are quite a few variations of the Stealth and some are a LOT more expensive than others. Seems like overall it is still possible to get laptops with last year's gpus but even those are starting to go up in price and become less available. Getting laptops with this year's gpus is getting harder and harder.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Not to gainsay you but I bought 12 Surfacebooks for my company and only 3 of them survived past the first year. Expanding bulgey batteries that can barely be replaced because the laptop is glued shut, the keyboard half of the laptop permanently losing connection with the top half, screens cracking when handling lightly. The is the company that brought you 50% fail rate on the Xbox 360, I dunno if I'd equate them with "quality".

Which surface book? I have a surface book 2 and it has held up pretty well for the few years that I have had it. It has a discrete nvidia gpu (1060) and generally performs pretty well.

Totally agree that the keyboard half will lose connection with the top half occasionally but it also immediately reconnects. Also I have found that getting the surface book dock 2 completely fixed the power issues with the original power block overheating. For some incredibly dumb reason they decide to include an underpowered AC adapter. The wattage really needs to be higher on the manufacturer's power block.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My Aero doesn't have wifi problems but I'm on an old model (7700HQ / GTX1060) so that information is probably not that useful. One thing you should know is that the keyboard is quite stiff. I also appreciate having a numpad but it took a bit of time for me to get used to using this keyboard coming from your typical spongy office keyboards. Once I switched to a mechanical keyboard at home, though, I started to like the Aero 15 keyboard more for it's stiffness. By stiffness I mean force needed to actuate the key, though the Aero 15 keyboard uses is membrane style.

With that said, I don't much like that Gigabyte haven't updated their Aero 15 design. It's dated now, IMO and as I've seen newer laptop designs, I've soured on it. It is basically the same chassis as my model (like 4 years old) with an updated cooling solution and maybe some different ports. But this is more of a subjective thing.

IMO 4k is not something to bother with on a 15" laptop but I don't do any production stuff or need color accuracy, I just play games and type in word so that's more down to use case. I happened to get my Aero 15 just before they were refreshed with 8th gen (but still 1060) and 144hz screens. lmao pwned

As for your MSI Q's, leopard is a more budget line so expect worse build quality. Also, the stealth GS series will have the Max-Q variants of the 30-series, aka the lower tdp variants, if that matters to you or not. I also like ports on the back, especially power.

Well - it looks like my Best Buy order for the G15 3070 actually went through. Crossing my fingers something weird doesn't happen.

The Gigabyte AORUS 15G and the Aero15 were both strong contendors so I hope I didn't make the wrong decision. Battery life kinda won me over to the G15.
The main draw of the Leopard was the price point, the 3070 and the ports on the back but it is good to know the Stealth is a notch above the Leopard. Despite the ports not being on the back. Wish the Stealth had the same ports the Leopard does, and the MUX switch would be nice.

Hoping I don't immediately have buyer's remorse with the Asus G15 but there is always Best Buy's return policy so...

This is what alerted me to the Best Buy stock update. Might help you guys too.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 17, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Bofast posted:

I would probably have gone straight for the G15, as well, had it not been for my not being a fan of the soldered RAM. It looks really good otherwise.

That and the lack of a 4k screen were my main deterrents. I plan on maxing out the RAM though, so hopefully 40 gigs will be enough. The draw of the Gigabyte machines and MSI machines was how easy the RAM could be upgraded. Losing the DDR they offer is a bummer. Or will be, when I upgrade. Really hoping what people are saying about the build quality is true on the G15 and also hopefully the sound issues are really fixed.

Going to be really curious to bench it against my Surface Book 2 and my friend's MSI GS66 Stealth. Looks like the order went through so I will know in a couple of weeks.

Anyone have any RAM suggestions for the G15? I have been reading that "double stack" RAM is best.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 18, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Bofast posted:

ASUS doesn't seem to have any memory QVL lists for the G15 models on their website (or their support website is just terrible) and Corsair's website doesn't seem to list a G15 at all right now in their memory compatibility assistant, but Crucial's website has a few options listed if you look up the model

This is obnoxious. Trying to find some confirmation on what the best 32gig stick on the G15 would be.

Would this work?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1600347-REG/crucial_ct32g4sfd832a_32gb_ddr4_3200_sodimm_1_2v.html?sts=pi&pim=Y

... This looks like it might be better:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820374028

VVV Let me know how you like that Blade. I was very strongly considering one. VVV

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 19, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Whoops, you’re right, the one they have at Costco is the 2070, same deal and price online. And yeah, I don’t really care about battery life, and don’t mind a 17”, it’s basically going to live on my desk and I’ll also take it to work occasionally. But I’ve never had a laptop with a good battery life, at least not one that didn’t eventually need to basically be plugged in all the time, but yeah either way it’s not a huge concern.

My G15 is arriving in a few days but that Raider looked like a great deal considering how easy it is to upgrade. It's definitely chonky though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Got the Asus G15 a few days ago. Will have trip report soon. Initial reactions:

Trackpad is HUGE. It is the same size and relative weight of my surface book 2 but the trackpad is significantly larger. This means confusing left and right click perpetually. It is really annoying but I am sure something I will get used to - or just get a bluetooth mouse.

The speakers are LOUD. I mean REALLY LOUD. There was immediate popping (as I anticipated) so I updated the BIOS and drivers but apparently it was the windows update (new windows realtek drivers) which really fixed it. I knew the things were going to be loud once they were fixed but wow.

Weight is very light considering how powerful it is. It is technically the same weight as my surface book 2, coming in at 4.2 pounds but I swear it feels slightly lighter. Having said that - it definitely gets louder than my surface book 2 but not much hotter weirdly. They both get hot but I think *maybe* the surface book 2 gets hotter under load. This has to do with the surface book 2 power block being natively underpowered at around 100 watts. The surface dock 2 is a 200 watt block which solves that problem however (at 250$ extra charge) and when using the dock neither gets very hot.

Fans kick on randomly some times although I feel like that's just me not knowing which settings to use. The only real problem I have with it so far is keyboard seems to blink / pulse randomly when I am not using it. I mean really randomly, like there is some CPU activity or something - even when I haven't used it for an hour or so and just left the lid open. Will post a video of it when I get a chance. It's really odd. Maya has crashed a couple of times as well... not sure what is causing the incredibly random keyboard light flashing (no pattern) or Maya's instability but for the most part, it lives up to the hype.

Mostly surprised at how nice the screen is. Again - the weight, size and relative heat are on par with my Surface Book 2 but I was mostly surprised by the screen being almost as great also!! The material feels like plastic compared to the surface book 2 but otherwise it is a more powerful laptop in a very similar form factor. Well - if you don't count the 2 n 1 part. The surface book 2's greatest failing is what it markets itself most on... the dual tablet / laptop capability part.

I have two weeks to decide if I want to swap it for a MSI or possibly Gigabyte model but so far I am fairly pleased with it. Was afraid the lack of print screen button would be a problem but there is a keyboard combo / clip screen function which just means 2 buttons vs. 1 button to print screen so it isn't so bad really.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 31, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Roluth posted:

So, I'm trying to clean out some space on the tiny SSD drive my laptop has alongside a big HDD, so I can run a few things faster, but I'm not sure what's taking up so much space on the SSD. Is there a good program that can determine what's the biggest thing on it?

Wid Dir Stat ... I highly recommend it.

https://windirstat.net/download.html

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Pretty much everything at ninite.com is a wonderfully useful tool and effortless to install

That's pretty interesting.

So I only have a few days to return this Asus G15 (or not). I actually went to the only Best Buy in the area which had the thing in stock (at least had a display model) and the rep told me it was the fastest laptop they had in the store and she wouldn't return it, if it was her decision.

Also - she mentioned they were actually sold out and that was the last one left. I asked about the MSI GS66 stealth and especially the MSI Raider and she said "nah"... the G15 was better in almost every way.

So the MSI Raider they had was around 2100 I think and had 32 gigs of ram as well as ports on the back (and upgradable to 64 gigs of ram) but as she rightly pointed out, it is last year's model with last year's gpu and bigger and heavier by quite a bit. Not to mention costing more than 300 extra.

Then there was the GS66 Stealth which was no longer on sale and cost exactly as much as the G15 at 1800. It had been on sale a few weeks ago for 1500.

Anyways, long story short, I am pretty happy with the G15 except for one glaring issue which is a glitchy HDMI out. It makes my Vizio 4k TV flicker and glitch out randomly. It seems completely random but happens A LOT. Too much to use for my job which is completely a deal breaker. I am hoping maybe a different cable or a different port on the TV might fix it but I don't think that's it. I think it has to do with color profile or something since the tv keeps flashing HDR10 every time it glitches out. So frustrating... It has happened a half dozen or more times since I typed this. I may try the USB C to HDMI approach and see if it has the same problem.

In every other way the laptop delivers as promised. Super light and powerful with a very good battery. Surprisingly good sound and screen.

bull3964: That sucks about the fans. I think I mentioned earlier that I thought it was pretty loud (especially compared to the MSI stealth) but really it's the HDMI glitchiness which is driving me bonkers ATM. I keep my laptop plugged into my TV most of the time to run it out to nice speakers and watch movies etc.

EDIT:

I plugged the HDMI into the HDMI to USB C adapter and then plugged that into the powered USB C port. Haven't had a single glitch since. Not sure if I should be happy or sad about this. This implies that the HDMI port is either faulty or maybe connected to a GPU I am not currently using (?) Not sure. Also not sure if I want to return the computer over a faulty HDMI port if I can still make the video out work just fine via USB C. Hm.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 8, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Random issue. I am about to upgrade the Asus G15 (GA503) ram and have been doing research. Crucial recommends this chip.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-zephyrus-g15-ga503

(DDR4 PC4-25600 • CL=22 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-3200 • 1.2V)

However when I click on the amazon buy link Amazon CLEARLY labels it as single rank ram. Which is it? Dual or single?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLC7VNH/?language=en_US&cstrackid=dd681309-0149-4c60-8250-469ddeea1c7b&tag=microncsus-20
(ECC Type = Non-ECC, Form Factor = SODIMM, Pin Count = 260-pin, PC Speed = PC4-25600, Voltage = 1.2V, Rank and Configuration = 2Rx8)

My research is telling me that 2Rx8 means dual ranked so it looks like Amazon has mislabeled it as single rank (?)

This Samsung equivalent is almost identical but DEFINITELY dual ranked ram but I can't figure out how I can see if it will work with my GA503.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2666MHz-Memory-Computers-M471A4G43MB1/dp/B07N124XDS/

Better question is why shouldn't it work if the specs are identical?

While we are on the subject of upgrades. Can anyone recommend a SSD HD for the same system? It looks like I have a max limit of 2 TB on the Asus G15 so it would have to be a 1 TB SSD.
Sabrent? Samsung? WD? Definitely some price differences between them.

Oh - in terms of laptop performance - I am pretty happy with it. Still hate the trackpad however and I really wish the ports were in the back but I knew about most of the problems when I bought it.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 2, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Oh cool. I was pretty sure it was mislabeled.

Also I based that 2TB limit on an Asus commercial for the same laptop. I want an internal drive so a M. 1 (?)

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

I mistyped, it's m.2

So yeah. The WD one posted above is fine, I actually quite like the ADATA ones. Stay out of basement brands and you're fine. Do a youtube dive first to see how to disassemble and install an M.2 drive. You should be fine.

So something like this then?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBW3VD/ref=twister_B07WPG52FF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely willing to max the HD to 3TB because I definitely need the space for generating animations and VJ work.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Was about to upgrade my Asus G15 SSD when I noticed a competing brand had much faster speeds at the same cost.

2 TB WD @ 2600 MB per sec
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627133-REG/wd_wdba3v0020bnc_wrsn_blue_2tb_sn550_nvme.html/overview

vs.

2 TB PNY @ 3500 MB per sec
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1614794-REG/pny_technologies_m280cs2130_2tb_rb_2tb_cs2130_nvme_m_2.html

Is there any reason I shouldn't get the PNY since it is faster and exactly the same price? Or is just PNY considered less trusted vs. WD? I read somewhere Sabrent is very good but it is definitely more expensive.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1597326-REG/sabrent_sb_rktq4_2tb_2tb_rocket_q4_nvme.html

Also - have the price of the Asus G15 laptops gone up a few hundred dollars in the last few weeks? It sort of looks that way.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 16, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The Lenovo X1 extreme is getting an RTX3080 graphics card along with an i9.

That sounds pretty great. If it was under 2k it would be even better...

So I still haven't gotten that SSD upgrade because I saw this and had second thoughts.
https://johnmakphotography.com/best-ssd-for-lightroom-and-phototoshop/

In the meantime the one discussed in this thread has gone up in price by 50 bucks and actually sold out.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627133-REG/wd_wdba3v0020bnc_wrsn_blue_2tb_sn550_nvme.html/overview

Wondering if it is worth 100 bucks more to go with the WD black vs. blue. (2600 vs. 3400 MBs) It is rated as best for video editing which is close enough to VJ work (video mixing) for me.

The Sabrent looks like the better deal TBH
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1597326-REG/sabrent_sb_rktq4_2tb_2tb_rocket_q4_nvme.html

... wait... is this the same thing 100 cheaper?
https://www.newegg.com/sabrent-rocket-q-2tb/p/0D9-001Y-00025

Other thoughts about the Asus G15.

1. The track pad left click vs. right click thing is super annoying. The right click seems to extend a lot farther over vs. left click. Half the time I am obviously clicking on the left half of the trackpad but it still thinks it is right click. Maybe it's the size of the trackpad. Maybe it's me ... but it feels apparent.

2. Power / activity light is noticeably bright and impossible to turn off AFAIK. Not that big of a deal but if you are sleeping anywhere near the thing it is pretty drat bright.

3. Still haven't successfully been able to get it to default to Nvidia when I unplug it. The thing always insists on going to the onboard GPU when I unplug it. I have tried changing the settings in the armory crate but it still seems to turn off the Nvidia gpu randomly. Very annoying because I wouldn't use the onboard GPU AT ALL if there was a choice to disable it. Guessing there might be in the BIOS.

4. Screen is very thin and has noticeable flex. This maybe isn't a bad thing but coming from the surface book 2 the build feels cheap. I mean it has a LOT less glare then the surface book 2 and that part is great but it's the only part of the machine that gets me worried. The fans blow directly onto the screen and the flex is definitely there - so don't push too much on any given corner.

5. Audio also is noticeably quieter compared to when I bought it. I don't know if this is again becuase of battery vs. being plugged or some other random power setting but it just isn't loud anymore. I remember it being astonishingly loud when I first bought it so I feel like there must be a setting I am missing somehwere. Logically the audio and video would change when unplugged but I really don't want it to change my power settings just because I unplug it.

All of these are relatively minor things compared to the overall portability and power. The trickle charge from the USB C charging is very slow but that is to be expected from using an alternative method of charging.

Does the G15 take only the 3rd gen M.2 or will it also support the 4th gen M.2?

EDIT: Hmm. Looks like if it works with the G14 then probably will be fine for the G15
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/hazb31/sabrent_rocket_q_2tb_fits_perfectly_into_the_g14/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 23, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks for the quick reply!

Maybe a dumb question but is there enough room for the SSD with heatsink in the Asus G15? That heatsink looks kinda thick. In other words - should I buy the one with the heatsink or the one without? Notably the one WITHOUT the heatsink is more expensive and again sold out.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1451809-REG/wd_wdbgmp0020bnc_wrsn_2tb_black_sn750_nvme.html

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 24, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

Why would you want to use the Nvidia GPU all the time on a g14? That's going to suck up a ton of battery for no reason. It'll switch to the dgpu as soon as you do anything that needs it....

It's a G15 and I actually occasionally work in 3d without having the thing plugged in.

Does a M.2 NVME need a heatsink in a laptop or is there even enough room for it? I can't tell from the photos.

EDIT:

Well - it looks like the WD Black SN750 definitely WILL NOT fit in the Asus G15. At least not according to this compatibility list

https://documents.westerndigital.co...lack-sn-750.pdf

The Sabrent Rockets definitely do work however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwelEjE9Ieg

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 24, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

CFox posted:

Yea you go into the nvidia control panel, go to the programs tab (I think that's what it is called), find your application there and select prefer high power or something along those lines. You can also add the .exe if it's not already in the list. You can also set it here to always prefer the dGPU but you absolutely don't want to do that since it will run out of power fast on battery and there's just no point to it when you can do it per program.

Yeah - I just need to make sure this is the case for Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Resolume etc.

The WD Black SN750 keeps going up in price sadly. *ugh*

Saukkis: That's really good info. However as a VJ there are actually 2-5 layers of video going on simultaneously + FX all in realtime. In addition there might be a visualizer (which is very resource intensive) in ADDITION to mixing video. It isn't going to be some kind of file server but VJing in 2-4k with a visualizer can slow down even the beefiest of computers.

Lockback: I am going to double check all the settings and see if I can make the thing switch only when I want it to switch GPUS. If I am working in 3d with only the battery it's because I have to. I rarely work on that laptop without using 3d apps or VJing. So - generally speaking - the IGPU needs to be off and not switched to without my knowledge. It's annoying because OBS and Maya and many, many other apps simply won't work anywhere near as well with the IGPU. The Nvidia GPU is one of the main reasons I bought it, so I don't want it to default to the IGPU unless I explicitly want it to. Probably some setting I am missing or not using properly... You are probably right, and it's just a setting I am not getting.

The Hynix SSD in the G15 is very high performing and I am trying to find a 2 TB NVME for 350-400 on B &H and much of it is either climbing in price daily or back ordered. The silicon shortage seems like a very real thing.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Yeah, but I would assume that is all down to CPU power and it won't matter what kind of SSD you are using. You should be able to check the speed requirements from Task Manager's Performance-tab while you are doing VJing, it shows graphs for your drives. WD SN550 is the standard recommendation with good performance and not overpriced.

Even the SN550 is backordered 2-4 weeks at this point.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1627133-REG/wd_wdba3v0020bnc_wrsn_blue_2tb_sn550_nvme.html
Admittedly it is a lot more reasonably priced than the WD Black and others.

Turns out the WD Black will work fine with the G15 but I can't figure out if the heatsink will fit in the chassis or if it isn't necessary at all.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG15/comments/ma57v9/need_help_in_choosing_right_ssd_for_zephyrus_g15/

Seems like people are adding thermal pads but judging by some of the heatsinks I have seen on other NVME drives, it might not fit.

Any thoughts on this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1569814-REG/transcend_ts2tmte220s_2tb_m_2_2280_pcie.html
Currently available and has speeds close to the WD Black but I have never heard of Transcend.
People in the SSD thread like Crucial and that matches my RAM upgrade but that is also out of stock... hmm.

I am reading that I need to pick one with chips only on one side. Notably the SN550 has chips only on one side but I am not sure about the rest. The WD Black looks like it might have them on both sides. Does this really matter?

On the topic of SSD heatsinks - this looks insane.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1614802-REG/pny_technologies_m280cs3040hs_2tb_rb_2tb_xlr8_cs3040_nvme.html

At this point availability might be the main deciding factor, since so much of it is backordered.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 25, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sad to report that dead pixels have started to appear on my Asus G15 bought from Best Buy. Looks like at least 8 pixels spread randomly across the screen. Unfortunately a few of them are very bright.

Not sure what to do about this since I am pretty sure I am far past whatever Best Buy warranty was (looks like maybe 60 days?). Uh yeah - shipped 03/29 so... wayyyy past the the Best Buy return dates. Any advice? Is the Asus warranty worth looking it?

Aren't enough dead pixels to make it unusable but drat is it annoying. Also seems to be getting worse because I am positive they weren't there when it shipped.

Ugh... looks like I would qualify for RMA but that means I will get a used one back. Have not had good experiences with RMA in the past.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/811

Wait - am I reading this right? I can only return the laptop within 3 months of purchase?!? That can't be right. Can it?
https://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/694/

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 27, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

That's the referb warranty page. You should have a year. I've never had to rma but 8 pixels means your panel is dying. It's just going to get worse so get it in.

Also, you probably will get the same laptop back just with a new screen, though possibly/probably refurbed. Your looking at the monitor policy (which doesn't apply, it's a laptop) and refurb policy which doesn't apply if you bought it new from best buy. You probably should call Asus.

I will. Thanks for the prompt reply. Didn't expect it to be so bad so quick. I will say the surface book 2 is hands down a better display and I miss the touch screen. What I don't miss is the overheating, the inability to upgrade and rubber strips literally peeling off the base. I replaced those rubber strips and they peeled off again. The surface book 2 is great in THEORY but in practice doesn't work well for any heavy lifting. Photoshop or 2D graphics are fine on it though.

Frustrating parts of the G15 so far:

Dead pixels (!!)
HDMI port is finicky. I have found the USB C to HDMI to be always reliable but the HDMI port itself is not.
Left / Right click on the track pad is also finicky. For most people this might not matter because they use a mouse but it's loving frustrating when I don't want to carry around a mouse.

On the plus side it's the fastest laptop I have ever used by far! Rendering in Arnold has been a dream on it compared to most computers.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Dammit. My Asus G15 screen is going out after less than a year and this just comes out.
https://www.engadget.com/asus-pro-art-studiobook-16-oled-review-the-best-windows-creator-laptop-150041474.html

:(

Now I just want to exchange the G15 for the Studiobook since it is actually made for artists.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

Whats going on with the screen? It should be under warranty.

It has dead pixels and more dying periodically. Really I just want to trade the G15 in for the Asus Studio Book because the specs are very close to the same but the 4k OLED screen and jog dial are VERY appealing.

I am about to send the G15 back for a RMA but I have to use it for a NYE gig first.

Also - although I have mentioned it before - the trackpad left click vs. right click problem is driving me a little nuts. I don't carry a mouse every where I go but I now I feel like I am forced to.

I see the Asus Studio Book has both a jog dial and THREE ACTUAL MOUSE BUTTONS!! Maybe they realized how bad their track pad buttons are? Nothing is more infuriating than trying to teach or give a demo and half the time right click happens when you mean to click left. Trackpad is huge on the G15 but right click shouldn't take up 60-70% or more of the clicking area.

Of course the Asus Studio Book is 3k (?!?) :(
https://www.engadget.com/asus-pro-art-studiobook-16-oled-review-the-best-windows-creator-laptop-150041474.html

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 17, 2021

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Just curious. Does anyone have an opinion on the best tablet / "transformer" out? I learned to really love my surface book but I am not sure if I want to go the same route for a tablet built into a laptop. It has been tempting to just get a used ipad ... I can't believe I just typed that ... but used Surface Book's go for significantly less than new ones do, it is possible to get a pretty good deal on a used one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165292449217?hash=item267c329dc1:g:QyIAAOSwjV1h6Tli

Honestly, I hated not being able to upgrade my old surface book but I loved having the tablet built into the machine. Having a separate tablet (wacom / monoprice / huion whatever) to plugin on the go is a pain compared to the surface book. On the other hand the surface book is kind ridiculously priced new and I am curious if there are serious competitors out there for the same experience. HP Envy?.... I hate that most of these "transformers" don't have Nvidia GPUs. Radeons just not very appealing. Just wondering if any CG artists wanna weigh in on their tablet of choice. Wacom Mobile Studio was a hard no for me. Trying to carry around less and I don't want to have to carry around a bunch of extra stuff. Including an extra ipad to plug into my current laptop but at this point it might be a strong option over buying another surface book. Cost of ipad vs. used surface book 3 vs. Envy? Hmm.

Also - although not a transformer / tablet - I saw my friend's Legion and was kind of impressed. Ports on the back, webcam and number keypad are kinda nice. RGB keyboard is a little obnoxious though. SUPER bright and animated.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 21, 2022

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

For art it's basically iPad Pro or Surface. The Envy is capable but you'll just end up wanting a WACOM pad anyway. I like the Envy (and Spectre) line quite a bit otherwise, and generally am pretty positive around the 2-in-1s, however if your use case is "I want to use this thing to make art without a seperate drawing peripheral" I think you'll regret not going iPad or Surface (and the iPad probably takes the top spot).

Hmm. My friend attached his ipad to his MSI GS66 Stealth and I was shocked that the ipad would work as a tablet (basically a cintiq) for zbrush on his laptop. He was running zbrush on the MSI and using the ipad as a cheaper cintiq alternative. He said he had to pay for an app to do it but that's still a better alternative to the cintiq I think. Cintiq's have gone way down in price but the "ipad plus apple pencil" thing feels better and more natural and (used) is definitely cheaper and smaller than a cinitq.

Just really got spoiled using my surface book for all those years and am trying not to lug around a bunch of extra stuff. However an ipad will fit in the same bag with this Asus G15 pretty well I think. Just fought getting an ipad forever becaues my surface book 2 really did serve me very well for many many years. I am anything but a mac fanboy. I kinda hate the ipad format (no USB?!? WTF?!?!?) but I can't argue with the drawing / painting experience with the apple pencil and procreate. I guess the appeal for me here is to run zbrush on this beefy Asus laptop with the advantages of the ipad as a tablet (apple pencil / portability). Just haven't figured out the right portable setup yet and surface book 2 did it very very well for years and I am missing that tablet / portability thing. Also there are a LOT of ipads to look through. Soooo many of them. The range is a little staggering and if I am going to pay close to 1k I feel like I should just go ahead and buy a "real computer".

OK - after talking to my friend about using an ipad for zbrush he told me the pressure sensitiivty DOES NOT WORK with zbrush using his MSI. That's why he ended up buying a Huion Kanvas. So that's a deal breaker. :(

The cinitq pro 16 is very portable but not cheap apparently (due to the 4k screen) but there seem to be a lot of used non pro versions in the area for a lot less than 1k ... drat ... back to square one.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 22, 2022

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

Ditto, good choice. Really interested to see reviews of this year's model for a potential upgrade.

I think I read they upped the price to 2500 for this year. :(

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Bakalakadaka posted:

Ty for the input I think I am gonna go for this legion 5 https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Display-Processor-Storage-82JW00BDUS/dp/B09BDGD2TZ

Looks fairly close to the one linked last page (this one https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=82NWCTO1WWUS1) but with 16gb of ram and doesn't have a 2+ month ship time (I don't know if that's accurate but I don't want to wait that long).

Very seriously considering getting a Legion as well. Pretty much given up on the idea of getting a transformer / 2 n 1 because power to price wise, most of them can't compare to something like the Legion or the Asus G15 (which is my primary laptop ATM). Carrying around a small wacom tablet or even an ipad just seems like a necessary thing at this point. Although - TBH there are more and more awesome transformers out every day. Asus has a BUNCH of them now and then there is this crazy thing.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd7ezel

Just not sure if I trust Acer's build quality but drat... cool design!!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6494629

The spec sheet is confusing because Asus only has that model with the i9 and UHD display, but the specs and confirmation in the Q&A says it’s the FHD+ model.

Guess i’ll find out Friday.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/53627-asus-rog-flow-z13-review/

This review implies that the model number is for the storage/processor config and the screen can be either option for the top end.

ROG Flow Z13 GZ301ZE: Core i9-12900H 6C+8C/20T, Nvidia RTX 3050Ti 35-40W, 16 GB LPDRR5 memory, 1 TB SSD, FHD+/UHD+ screen options

ROG Flow Z13 GZ301ZC: Core i7-12700H 6C+8C/20T, Nvidia RTX 3050 35-40W, 16 GB LPDRR5 memory, 512 GB SSD, FHD+ screen

ROG Flow Z13 GZ301ZA: Core i5-12500H 4C+8C/16T, Intel Iris Xe, 16 GB LPDRR5 memory, 512 GB SSD, FHD+ screen

I know the thing is wattage limited and is a bit pricy, but it's still an insane amount of power in a tiny package.

I mainly want it because I'm finding I don't want to lug out the G15 and associated lap desk if it's just a bit of casual couch gaming. Given that the G15 is a traditional design, the fans pull up from the bottom and necessitates the lap desk to keep them from being blocked. This being a tablet with a kickstand, it will work perfectly fine and unobstructed on a lap. So, if I want to screw around in some midlevel games, I feel like I'm more likely to do so when I can use a package with less bulk/setup.

I mean, the SteamDeck when I get it will have a lot of the same purpose, but I'm a gadget junkie and it won't be quite as powerful.

I'm also very tempted to get the external GPU to keep connected to the TV so I can easily use it to play AAA PC games on a TV. It's just a little pricy for that though, so we'll see.

This looks pretty cool but I don't like that an (expensive, external) gpu is needed to get the most out of the device. On the other hand, the bang for buck is pretty great and much better than a Surface Book 3 for example. Or even this thing - which I gotta say - looks pretty interesting, if not over priced.
Form factor on that Acer looks REALLY cool and I *like* having a keyboard built into my laptop. The way the surface book detached is what caused almost ALL of the problems with it. The ROG Flow seems very cool and the dead pixels on this Asus G15 means I can possibly trade it in for something better. For almost a year the G15 has worked pretty drat well but the dead pixels (more dying slowly) means it could be swapped for the Flow or the Acer Ezel or maybe even the Legion.... I kinda want the Flow or Ezel because I really miss the built in tablet / Surface Book 2 experience. On the other hand, the Legion's power, price point and ports on the back make it very tempting.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6455135

What's the best transformer / 2 in 1 for digital (3d) artists? Seems like more and more are coming out daily. Also - are ALL of Best Buy's laptops under powered or just some? Seems like there are "best buy" versions of certain laptops which are underpowered but I have not idea how one figures out which are which.

I would rather order from somewhere else if I am getting an underpowered machine and I wish I knew that before buying from Best Buy.

I really want to see the ezel in the wild before making the choice. Seems like the Ezel would be sturdier to draw / paint on overall and more flexible.
https://store.acer.com/en-us/conceptd-7-laptop-cn715-71-73a9

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 12, 2022

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Lockback posted:

iPad Pro and Surface Pro kinda stand alone for digital artists. Nothing else is particularly close. The Yoga's are ok but its a significant step down in terms of drawing.

And there isn't really a "Best Buy version" it's just the manufacturer websites typically only list higher end configs and best buy is one of the few big box stores around that still stocks multiple configs. Just always make sure to walk down the spec sheet regardless where you get a laptop.

Thank you.

Been considering buying a used 2018 or 2019 ipad pro but I am not keen on any lag. People are telling me there is a lag with the ipad when connected to a PC laptop. Then realitzing that I need a secondary laptop anyways, I thought it might be good just to make the jump to a secondary machine. The surface book 2 WAS the secondary machine but it's glitching out pretty badly at this point and I am not keen to spend the 650 on refurb when I can use the money on a modern computer instead.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...8a-a29f768d43ff
Surface Book 2 - 15" = 649.00

The Samsung might be good but the point of the tablet is 3d sculpting more than digital painting.

About to go to Best Buy to return the G15, so I will see what they have available. Thinking I will probably get the card refunded vs. Best Buy credit but it is tempting to get that Asus Flow or Legion today vs. getting a replacement G15.

Will check out the Surface Pro because I loved my Surface Book 2 - just not sure if it has the power I want for zbrush / maya combo. Guess if I give up that idea; then the Samsung, Yoga or even Ipad Pro would make a lot more sense. Kinda wish there was something between the Flow and Ezel. The form factor of the Ezel with the newer specs of the Flow - or perhaps be ready to spend a LOT on the Quadro version of the Ezel (?) The Flow is certainly lighter and newer but is more of a tablet vs. a "transformer." Also - looking a little more closely at the Flow it looks like there is no way to upgrade to 32g of ram or more. drat.

For price comparison. 1500
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6452915

vs. Ezel.... yeesh... 3700
https://www.adorama.com/acnxc5baa002.html

Actually this Ezel has older guts but it's 32 gigs and only 1800 - Hmmm.. I have never seen one of these Ezel things in person and they definitely aren't at Best Buy. Not the biggest fans of white laptops but those specs aren't shabby. It's really a question of portability vs. power I guess.
https://store.acer.com/en-us/conceptd-7-laptop-cn715-71-73a9

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 12, 2022

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

So the Geek Squad at Best Buy told me the screen on my Asus G15 is repairable and it's currently out for repair. Assumedly sent back for RMA, since I don't thing Geek Squad handles screen replacement.

This led me to buy a MSI GS66 because I need a laptop for work - with the idea of taking it back within the 2 week window. Basically a loaner until I know what's going on with the G15.

Not the ideal situation but I need a portable 3d workstation to work. In any case, I plan on taking the MSI GS66 back but it's a pretty impressive machine and arguably a little snappier than my G15. Definitely a LOT quieter and "feels" a little faster with every day tasks. Also no bright charging light on the back of the laptop. That annoyed me more than I thought it would on the G15.

When I get the G15 back I plan on upgrading the ram and HD but I will be a little sad to return the MSI GS66.

In the meantime I definitely need to decide on what to get as a secondary laptop - since I wasn't planning on keeping the GS66.

For 3D artists, is there one artist laptop which is best for a budget of around 2200?

Would love to make it a hybrid / 2 n1 but I am not sure if that's absolutely necessary if I end up carrying a tablet around anyways.
The MSI Creator looked good but it doesn't have a wacom digitizer. The MSI G76 doesn't look bad for pure power and of course this Legion.
https://www.newegg.com/p/2WC-000J-01A01?Description=legion&cm_re=legion-_-2WC-000J-01A01-_-Product&quicklink=true
Also see some sales on last year's Alienware but I am not a huge fan of them.

The surface book 2 (which is being replaced) is glitching out 20-40% of the time and it's almost impossible to use. Never will I buy a laptop that detaches in half again. It was great when it worked though.

EDIT:

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks the MSI Creator might be the thing for Zbrush. Although I know a local artist who swears by his Legion.

https://ecomputertips.com/best-laptops-for-zbrush-modelling-artists/

quote:

5 Best Laptops for ZBrush Modelling Artists:
1. MSI Creator 15M A9SD – Best Overall
2. Alienware Gaming AW17R5 – Runner Up
3. Acer Nitro 5 – Value for Money
4. Lenovo IdeaPad L340 – Privacy and Security Features
5. Dell XPS 15 9570 – A Good 4K Display

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Helter Skelter posted:

Those models listed are all 3 CPU generations behind at this point, I feel like you could do a lot better with your budget.

What are the 12th gen I9s that work in this price range? Kinda feel like the Legion is calling me but there is no doubt the new Asus Creator line is very impressive.
https://www.asus.com/us/site/letscreate/

The MSI Creator line for 2022 is equally impressive and at least as expensive. *groan*
Are these OLED laptop screens really only good for around 2 years?
https://us.msi.com/Content-Creation/Creator-Z17-A12UX/Specification

My Asus G15 is in for repair for dead pixels but yeah...

Pros:
Very fast / strong
Separate volume buttons (this seems minor but helps a lot in low light)
USB C charging (very slow trickle charge but it has come in handy more than once
Very fast charging on normal AC adapter!

Cons:
Fans are loud once it gets going
Charging light is much brighter / obnoxious than anticipated
Trackpad left vs right click is glitchy. This is solved with a mouse but can be annoying otherwise.
Sound was initially very loud but driver updates seemed to have capped it. Pushing VLC past 100 volume seems to be the only way to get it near previous volume levels.
No web cam.
Screen (obviously had problems with dead pixels)

Thoughts on the MSI GS66 since I am currently using it:

Quietest laptop I have ever used.
Very snappy / responsive with every day tasks. Haven't benchmarked this against the G15 but for every day tasks I would say I like it better.
Not particularly ergonomic but definitely sturdy build.
Having a webcam - no matter how bad - is a begrudgingly important feature.
Finish is smudged very easily.
Both the G15 and this GS66 have the best batteries of any laptops I have ever used. The MSI GS66 screen and features edge out the Asus G15 overall, but probably hard core gamers would prefer the G15.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 20, 2022