Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That is definitely the look of a man who thinks an ugly rear end Thinkpad is the peak of aesthetics.

Apples are boring.

I agree withe the man. *neckbeard aggressively fluffs up*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Thoughts on this?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233111

Seems the cheapest true quad core with gtx970m I've found.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

I was going to order a 15" XPS tonite, but dell.com don't offer it with 16 gigs of ram it looks like? Can I call them to special order one or is it just not available? Is the ram end-user upgradeable?

Lot of review sites say it uses SODIMMs so it should be upgradeable.

Edit: http://www.laptopultra.com/guide/dell-xps-9550-disassembly-ssd-ram-hdd-upgrade-guide/

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 4, 2016

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Trash tier. Get something with a 1080p screen at least.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Tigren posted:

Well that answers that question. None of the models support additional RAM? Any idea of the ASUS Zenbooks support it?

Only the XPS 15 has expandable RAM.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Vegetable posted:

My Yoga 2 Pro does a pretty poor job of dissipating heat. I'd be playing 2D indie games and it heats up to 80s-90s. And then it shuts down. What can I do about this? Would one of those laptop cooling pads help?

Not a Yoga but I did this with my Dell Venue 11. It made a hilariously huge difference.
(not a real solution)
:haw:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Moogle posted:

You may scoff...

No scoffing at all. I could push the Venue and it would stay at a constant 2GHz that was the max clock of the M-5Y10 without going above 60c. :D

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Serenade posted:

Yeah, this is a person I play the game with who I've known for years, so I am willing to more than match what they're putting into this. They themselves want to spend that much, but I want to spend enough so they actually get something good.

Having friends with lovely computers sucks.

Check out slickdeals.net - there's usually laptops with dGPUs for good prices.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Livingroom laptop broke and am looking for some input on a replacement. FWIW the one that croaked is a Dell Inspiron 7000 series with a 4th gen i5.

Been looking at the Lenovo Yoga 700 series 2-in-1's in stores and they seem decent with the 1080 IPS screens. Also the Dell 2-in-1s are nice in the $500-700 range.

Touch screen is a must. 2-in-1 is not much of a priority but would be nice due to the way you can prop them up on a couch.

Thoughts?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Hadlock posted:

The Yoga is best of breed for that kind of thing

Not sure why you need a haswell i5 for couch computing, if you have a desktop the Asus Flip chromebook is $250 with a 1366*768 IPS touchscreen, and has the ability to RDP in to your more powerful desktop

Yoga is a good choice though.

I got a steal at BestBuy when I got the previous Dell. Originally wanted a lower end Toshiba and the one they brought from the back had a huge gouge in the box. The lid of the laptop was slightly dented so they offered something in the similar price range. Lo and behold the Dell i5 w/ 1080p touchscreen for $300 less than normal price. Anyway, this is mostly for MY GIRLFRIEND who surfs on the couch a lot and like the touchscreen.

The i5 isn't a must it's just what the old one had. I'll keep an eye out for deals on the Yogas. Thanks for the input!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
So HP has new ENVY x360 laptops with the 7th gen AMD Bristol Ridge APUs (A12-9700P / FX-9800P). But, they crippled them with single channel RAM. :gonk: Set sail for fail and a backlash of people wondering why the latest APU's aren't as good as AMD touted.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I honestly can't fathom why people suggest those ancient Thinkpads with 4 - 5 generation old processors and tired old batteries.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Because most people spend their time with their laptop plugged in to a wall, or within 10' of an outlet;

Second, Intel has invested a ton of money in to improving battery life, not CPU performance. An i7 sandybridge laptop is roughly equivalent to an i3 or i5 Haswell laptop.

If you don't care about battery life and your spend 95%+ of your laptop time on Netflix, Facebook, Gmail etc, a refurb Thinkpad is a great deal.

With the Thinkpad you get amazing build quality and the laptop will likely outlast you. If that sounds appealing then yeah get a refurb

If you do particle physics and need 8 hours of battery life, then yes skip the refurb.

If you're suggesting that people buy a tired old laptop with a 1366x768 screen why not at least suggest something modern that doesn't way 7lbs with equal performance and a real manufacturer warranty?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Atomizer posted:

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-envy-x360-15-amd-fx-convertible-laptop?ref=el_gh_cp_4_d_ph

This laptop is up for the next ~24 hours. $450 for a [large] convertible with nice specs. Of course it has an HDD instead of SSD, but other than that it seems decent.

I'm not super familiar with AMD's stuff; I mean it works fine but just isn't competitive at the upper end (particularly for gaming) and whenever I pick up an entry-level system they come with Intel ULV stuff anyway. With that being said, from what I can gather, this quad-core AMD APU is roughly comparable in terms of CPU performance to the mid-range Intel ULV (dual-core plus Hyperthreading) parts (say, something like an i7-6500U) but the GPU part is better than most of Intel's integrated stuff.

It should generally be competent in lower-demand gaming (think the mainstream F2P stuff like LoL or Dota, WoW, older FPSs like CS:GO, etc.) however you should expect the CPU performance to be the bottleneck, so games that heavily emphasize GPU performance will fare better.

I was looking at these a couple weeks ago. For the price you get a great machine. BUT, they only have 1 DIMM slot and the APU is crippled by the single channel RAM :(

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Might as well use some door hinges and bolt a 21" monitor to a mITX case. :lol:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

TrinityOfDeath posted:

I opened it up and the fans work just fine. It is definitely a grinding/chugging noise coming from the GPU.

It's probably inductive coil whine.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
God drat that's hard to not pass on.

Been looking to replace my poorly aging HP Pavilion dv6 w/ Haswell i5 + GT650M. Games are starting to really tax it.

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 25, 2016

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

AbrahamSlam posted:

To be entirely honest, and someone very likely said this earlier on;

If you're going to break the bank on the gaming laptop, it'd be far more worth it to spend that money on a custom desktop. Results will be way, way better than a laptop can ever net in the first place.

That being said, the new ASUS Zenbooks are quite nice for general usage if you were in need of a laptop, but didn't wanna game on it.

Maybe some people want a super portable gaming rig. :angel:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
It's getting harder and harder to resist waiting until Kaby Lake quads come out for laptops with all the GTX1060 laptop deals going on. :homebrew:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Talked to System76 and they hinted at their Oryx Pro (Clevo P650RS) might be getting a processor refresh in Feb. :crossarms:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Quite A Tool posted:

Basically what Watermelon said. She has a mouse but if she just wants to chill on the couch and not deal with it it's kind of ridiculous to have to plug in a mouse. It works plenty fine on the old MSI. I really want to like the laptop, and have actively encouraged her to try it out for a few more days/I'm going to see if some drivers can fix the issue. But buyer's remorse is setting in pretty hard and I can't say I blame her, especially given our previous experience with Dell not being great.

Is it the trackpad itself or Windows mouse acceleration messing with input?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

eames posted:

At least one major OEM — I believe it was Asus — stated that they won't make 1050ti notebooks because the chip's price/performance ratio is unattractive, with OEM pricing being too close to the GTX1060.

Looks like they decided to make one: ASUS GL553VE-DS74 :confuoot:

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl553ve-ds74.html

eames posted:

Razer's answer to that Acer Predator up there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnrOhvUA8o8

:psyduck:

:eyepop: Holky gently caress that's cool!

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Huh. Alienware 15 R3 has an RX 470 option now. No mention of FreeSync, though.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, normally Newegg's Flash Sale emails aren't that great, but this is a pretty damned good looking machine: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-9SIAATJ4YJ6078

15.6" with a 6GB 1060, confirmed NVMe 256GB boot, and seemingly non-lovely cooling. The HDD is 7200rpm and the memory is DDR4-2400 as opposed to the usual 2133.

Two year stock warranty, too. The only clunker part seems to be the WLAN card.

EDIT: This is a Clevo laptop that's being sold by "Prostar," whoever the gently caress they are. I don't advise buying from We-B-Laptops sellers, no matter how amazing the thing sounds spec-wise.

Recently ordered this same chassis from a different reseller. Ordered it with an i7-7820HK and 1070, though. :getin: Came out to the 'original' price that the newegg one lists for.

Would imagine that the Clevos with the 6th gen procs are going to continue to drop since the 7th gen models are now out.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
HP Currently has a GTX 1050, i5-7300HQ, 1080p IPS laptop for $599 for those looking for a cheap laptop with some power. http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&urlLangId=&langId=-1&storeId=10151&catEntryId=1581652&quantity=1

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Technically $649 because the 4GB 1050 would be preferable to the 2GB. What they're trying to charge for the 16GB upgrade is highway robbery, though.

Yeah, the upgrade prices in the customize options are a bit painful. Minimum would do the 4GB 1050 for sure.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Danger! Ostrich! posted:

So I've been using a thinkpad t430 for the past 4 and a half years and it has worked great, but it's starting to show its age a bit. Since I got rid of my desktop with no intention of replacing it, I think I'd like my next laptop to be able to do a bit of gaming. After doing some research, I came across the hp pavilion 15t with an i5-7300HQ, 8gb ram, 256gb NVMe, 1080p screen, and 1050 2gb for $683 after 25% off coupon.

Is this a good deal? I know the build quality won't be as nice as a thinkpad, but does anyone here have any experience with pavilions? And my main concern is battery life, any idea what could be expected browsing the web and doing web dev? Thanks!

I got mine today. It's a typical plastic chassis but seems very sturdy so far. It has a 63Wh battery which is decent though I have not put it through any tests yet.

Here are the guts. Extra RAM slot and an M.2 NVMe capable SSD slot.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Augh, Acer, what the gently caress? What happened to "pea sized amounts"?

Gotta make sure it works reel gud.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

What's with the hate for Asus in this thread? I was under the impression their laptops, in particular ultrabooks, were a solid and competitively priced choice.

The Zenbook hinge design is garbage and the plastic frame on the lid it bolts to usually ends up breaking.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Comatoast posted:

The thermal envelope on the 1050 is 20 watts lower than the 1050ti. The fans would sound like an even bigger jet engine than it already does with a more powerful chip.

I'm fine w/ that.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

dissss posted:

The problem is you can't just pick it up and expect it to work straight away like iOS - even if it doesn't have a dead flat battery it'll take an eternity to wake up and become usable and god help you if it decides it's update time

'Huge phone' is still a better tablet experience than Windows, at least Windows on x86 IMO

I've used a Venue 11 pro for quite some time and it perfectly fine as a tablet with Windows 10. Not sure what the fuss is about. If you're going to spend 500+ on a device it might as well have a real operating system. The updates aren't bad like you make them to be. Most of the notable Windows devices have SSDs o it's non issue. :shrug:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

dissss posted:

I'm having a good chuckle at that last part - lets just say I'd strongly disagree.

Do you even own a Windows tablet?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

dissss posted:

Yes as I said I have a Surface Pro 3 and a Nexus 7

I also have an HP Elite x2 1012, an an iPad Pro on my desk at work and have had a couple of Surface Pro 4s in the past.

Welp missed that then. Fair enough!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Whats the best reasonably portable 15" laptop with a 1060 or 1070 that has gsync? I tried gsync and I dont think I can ever go back.

edit: vvv Yes, I know... doesn't matter. adaptive refresh is what I want.

Buy my Clevo p650rp6-g :getin:

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Pretty much any machine will do everything you requested except for the 5+-year-old gaming part. You don't need anywhere near a loving $2.4k Mac or even the Gram. In fact, you'd be fine with 8 GB of RAM and an i3. I mean literally a $200-300 Chromebook would do all of the non-gaming stuff. I recommend this Acer which will do what you're asking, for $350 plus whatever you want to add in terms of RAM (I recommend just adding another 4 GB module for $25, although you could buy a 16 GB kit if you really wanted) and an m.2 SATA SSD. The i3 and HD 620 are fine for general use and light gaming, and it has a 15.6" FHD display plus a backlit keyboard.

Those Acers have a really terrible TN panel. FYI

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

GargleBlaster posted:

It'll no doubt get me a ton of hate and disgust but idgaf it's my money.. Decided to stop worrying about what to get and just get a Donglebook Pro. I'm more confident it'll stay useful for ~5-6 years than I was with the HP (reputation of early failures). Went 13" after all and think I made the right choice, no regrets so far. Physically hardly any bigger than my 11" Air which is nice.

Keyboard actually quite nice to type on, if a little noisy.

I am truly sorry for your lots

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Wirecutter did a rundown on 15" laptops for photo and video editing.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-15-inch-laptops-for-photo-and-video-editing/

The XPS 15 and the Macbook Pro they recommend are uber expensive but you can get an HP for $1500 with

Intel Core i7-7500U processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 512 GB solid-state drive, an Nvidia GeForce GTX 940MX, and a 15.6-inch 3840×2160 IPS touch screen

An i7-7500U for video editing with a 940MX for $1500? What are they smoking?!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
I guess this is a pre order? Saw it on Amazon looking for MX150 laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone posted the Google PixelBook yet? $1299 premium Chromebook

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixelbook-chromebook-price-release-date/

DOA. Didn't they learn from the last one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

OutofSight posted:

Oh dear.
Looks like my T530 is slowly succumbing to heat death due old age. Not a big problem on itself, because i use it only privately and out of nostalgia these days.

But i am a stubborn and curious fool and consider trying to fix things up for challenge and that it may make it another year. How easy can you still get the relevant replacement components for such a old machine?
At best it is the thermal paste, which needs to be replaced. At worst a whole i5 dual core "ivy bridge" (Which is hilarious considering the thread title).

Any ol thermal goop will do the trick. Get something highly rated/cheap off Amazon. Those older laptops are pretty easy to get apart, just keep track of screw lengths. If Lenovo/IBM is anything like HP, they'll have full service manuals to get to the parts you need to.