Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.

Anti-Derivative posted:

I do want to wait to see what Haswell offerings they produce.

Any idea of when Lenovo will start announcing Thinkpad whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
Honestly, I'd be thrilled if they just threw the innards of one of the Y410p laptops into a Thinkpad body. I'd buy it in a second.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm honestly extremely surprised by how well my old system still runs fairly new games. I mean, I'm obviously not going to be running Crysis or whatever at max specs, and I honestly don't care to, but I'm running games like Max Payne 3 beautifully with a graphics card that was already old by the time I bought it. My max resolution for the forseeable future is 1440*900 or 720p, so that's not an issue.

I'm sure a lot of it is the fact that this console generation has extended a lot longer than most, which means games have focused a lot on optimization. Maybe the new console generation will ruin it for the rest of us cheapskates.

However, if I can get the kind of mileage out of a Haswell laptop that I got from my old-rear end desktop, I'd be more than happy.

I would start looking through NotebookCheck, see which laptop GFX cards support your needs, and go from there.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M-SLI.76545.0.html

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

What's the current feeling on the XPS 15 9560?

I'm currently looking for a light gaming / working on the go rig, and really like the 4K screen to do Lightroom/photo work with, and found an open-box going for around $1500 with the 4K screen.

T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

OutofSight posted:

Can't go exactly wrong with this price for the 4k model and a solid windows alternative to a MBP. Better screen (color gamut) than most gaming laptop alternatives.
Shame you can't make it a hackintosh to annoy apple people (the geforce gpu andd wifi card won't work under MacOS).

The big battery model(97wh) is recommened for the 4K screen.
The HDMI 1.4 don't support 4k 60Hz external Monitors, only 30Hz and the TB3 2lane (with USB-C/display adapter) only one monitor.
Make sure to check the build quality on your model (even color andd brightness on screen, ghosting, correctly aligned ports, coil whine, keyboard and so on. There should be a list of some nightmare build XPS to avoid or send back.)

Is there any way to do the 4k 60hz over HDMI with the TB3 lanes? I ask because I use my 4K 60hz TV as a monitor off and on with my current setup, and it'd be nice to keep that going for when I'm actually home.

Looking at the XPS 15 owner threads, it seems that's a middle ground of people having no issues or a nightmare. Considering my original aim for was for a Blade 14, the QC issues (and realization of "how much am I actually going to game on the go"), is QC that bad with Dell right now enough to wait for the Coffee Lake refresh? It seems for the open box price, it's worth the risk.