Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What is this kerfuffle about the buttons on the new vs. old Thinkpads? Are people talking about the buttons above the trackpad you'd use while using the nipple? I can't see myself getting that much up in arms about that, as I've never thought the mouse nipple was all that great to use. Granted, I've tried it out for maybe a total of 10 minutes. Are they really that great once you get used to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For someone who isn't as concerned about exterior/case durability, would one of Lenovo's IdeaPad ultrabooks be something to reasonably consider vs. the X230?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cream_Filling posted:

They seem pretty unremarkable and there are better consumer ultrabooks out there. Outside of the Thinkpad line, Lenovos are pretty hit and miss in terms of quality, value, etc..

What other recommendations do you have around $700? Battery life, a reasonable amount of power (my netbook gets bogged down way too often with just Chrome open), and reliability are what I'm looking for.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Along those lines how practical is it to reformat the small SSD that comes in some of the ThinkPads and install Windows on it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cream_Filling posted:

Why would you do that? Just buy a regular one and install your own SSD.

Because some of them come with it already installed? Why pay for a hard drive twice (well, I guess like 1.5 times)?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Because you can buy an SSD yourself for half the manufacturer's upgrade cost. Plus you still get the mechanical drive as a bonus.

We might not be talking about the same thing. Are you also talking about the SSD that's a secondary sort of cache drive, or are you only talking primary drive?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the Surface (/2/Pro) the thing with the best pen input that's reasonably priced (<$1k)? I've been taking notes more and more on my laptop, but it'd be nice to be able to write or draw things that aren't easily typed, like math stuff or diagrams.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
About the battery thing - is it OK if the laptop's plugged in but asleep? How about completely shut down?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I noticed that the first post got updated recently, but the second, which has the recommendations, is several months old. Is Lenovo still the default recommendation? I'm looking to replace my aging netbook with something that can actually compile projects in a reasonable amount of time. I also want to stick with Windows since I've been using OneNote pretty extensively. I was considering a Surface 2 Pro, but I'm not sure how good the handwriting-to-ink is for OneNote, and also not sure how much stuff I'll be doing for the rest of my CSE curriculum will involve lots of equations. I'm looking at ~$1000, preferably less. I do have a B&N Gold account, for what that's worth. Anywhere else I look?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks, I didn't know the laptop world still moved kinda slow-ish. I was expecting more like the Android phone tempo.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 29, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How are Lenovo refurb units?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks to advice from this thread and happening to find a refurb unit at $600 from Micro Center, I now own a Yoga 2 Pro. For anyone familiar with the Lenovo software, is there anything that might be worth keeping?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On my new Yoga 2 Pro, I have a problem with Chrome often zooming instead of scrolling. I just disabled the pinch-to-zoom gesture in the trackpad settings, but it's still happening. What else could be causing this?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife's grandmother is looking for a new laptop. She needs Windows because she deals with Office documents pretty much exclusively. She's also looking for something lighter than what she has now (not sure what that is; she didn't bring it with her on her visit). Other than that, nothing fancy. I think she would really prefer to buy from a brick-and-mortar store while she's visiting. Any recommendations?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My Yoga 2 is starting to show its age, and since I've finished school it isn't used as a portable computer very often anymore. What are some good options for "should be portable sometimes, but doesn't need to be the lightest thing in the world"?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

My Yoga 2 is starting to show its age, and since I've finished school it isn't used as a portable computer very often anymore. What are some good options for "should be portable sometimes, but doesn't need to be the lightest thing in the world"?

Anything, please? Budget would be under a grand for sure, hopefully more like $600-$700.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sorry, yeah, it's just web use, maybe some streaming, and like JackBox. Nothing intense. I'll check out the Thinkpad stuff. My main lack of information is for things that aren't on the spec sheet, like how good the keyboard is and other ergonomic stuff.

Edit: do any of the T-series Thinkpads have an HDMI port?

hooah fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 1, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What are the common deal sites people keep an eye on? I assume the Dell and Lenovo outlet sites for starters.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

Just go to Slickdeals and set up a deal alert for whatever you want.

I try an repost good deals here when I can.

Their registration process is ...weird. I entered my email, then no password field was presented. I clicked the button in the email they sent, but it wouldn't load. Pasted the URL into my phone's browser and got a different registration form, this time with a password field. Filled the form, but oh no, my email is in use already! Then I got an email saying there was suspicious activity on my account...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Except the T420 looks to have a spinning drive, which is going to feel a lot slower than the other that has an SSD.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Apple switched over to Macbook trackpads that work with pressure and haptic feedback as opposed to a physical mechanism. They're surprisingly awesome, but that's probably because Apple is the only manufacturer left that prioritizes how the trackpad feels.

When did they make the switch? I've got a 2016 or 2018 MacBook Pro for work and the trackpad definitely moves down when I click it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Early 2016. Are you positive it moves? They're shockingly convincing, most people don't even notice a difference in feel until they turn the machine off and realize it doesn't click anymore.

Yup, I can watch the depth of the trackpad compared to the unibody grow with the two levels of click.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you have two levels of click, it's haptic. Turn the machine off and try again, bet it won't click.

After shutting it down, it will do one level of click. It's hard to say if that's hardware or software though since the laptop immediately boots when I click the touchpad. But that click is definitely there.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Well now I'm curious. What model is it specifically? What color is it?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) is what "About This Mac" says. It's the sort of dark-grey metallic color.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yeah so

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP776?locale=en_US

ya got bamboozled by that apple magic

So is it supposed to flex at all?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hadlock posted:

Literally every device in our house is either wireless charging (wife's iphone) or USB-C, with the sole exception of our fitbit charger cables, and my 2011 era B&N Nook e-reader, which just won't die and still works great

I've got one of these too, and I love it. I'm going to be hard-pressed on what to switch to if it does eventually die since I have a fair number of B&N e-books on my account that seem to be impossible to de-DRM. (Also, it was released with Eclair, which was already 2 years old at the time, :lol:)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the 14" Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Laptop on sale for $800. 60hz panel and only 8gb soldered ram but it has one open slot for expansion. Open-box - Excellent for only $680 as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...p?skuId=6403425

AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS Octa-Core (16 Thread) Processor
14" 1920x1080 display (non-touchscreen)
8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM
512GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card
Backlit Keyboard
Windows 10 Home
Weight: 3.64 lbs
Ports:
2x USB 3.0 Type A
1x USB Type C (Charging)
1x HDMI
1x DisplayPort 1.4
2x USB 3.2 Type C

I see it for $1,100?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Costco has two versions of the Flex 5 14" that I'd be interested in. One with a Core i5-1035G1 for $600 and the other with a Ryzen 7 4700U for $750. Is the Ryzen worth the extra $150 for non-gaming use?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, the only gaming I currently do on my old Yoga 2 Pro is the occasional Jackbox, and I think Tabletop Simulator once.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So due to some Costco fuckup, I thought my order for a Lenovo Flex 5 14" with a Ryzen 7 4700U with 16 GB of RAM got lost, so I told them to cancel it ordered a refurbished ThinkPad X390 with an Intel Core i5-8265U with 8 GB of RAM from the Lenovo outlet. The prices were $750 from Costco and $713 from Lenovo. Turns out, the Costco order was just seriously delayed, and it's going to arrive Wednesday with the other laptop. Thoughts on which one to keep?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lockback posted:

Flex is going to be generally faster/more future proof and be much better for gaming. Fit and finish is going to be better on the thinkpad, as is the battery (assuming it's a good refurb).

I'd mostly say it comes down to:
1. Will you be doing gaming on it? (Even light)
2. How much do you value refurb vs new?

1. Little if any. Like Jackbox or Tabletop Simulator at most.
2. Not really sure. I tried to find what the warranty is for their refurbs but was unsuccessful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do we have a thread that's specific to docking stations, or is this as good a place as any?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For work, I have a Macbook. My personal computer is a self-built Windows machine with a Ryzen 2600 and an MSI B450M Mortar motherboard. Work provides a Targus DOCK190USZ docking station. I have my keyboard, mouse, and webcam connected to the dock. For video, I have one DP and one HDMI cable going from the dock to my monitors and the same from my PC to the monitors. I have two cables that are USB-C on both ends. One goes from the work laptop to the dock, the other from my PC to the dock. Intermittently, I'll repeatedly hear Window's device removed and added sounds about every 10 seconds after waking up my PC. Besides the constant bloops being irritating, my Index VR set doesn't work right when this is going on. Usually I can resolve this by rebooting the PC, but sometimes a single reboot isn't enough.

Because of this problem, I'm considering some other kind of solution to using the same peripherals (keyboard, mouse, webcam) with the two computers. Software solutions are out since the work laptop is quite locked down (we can only install software from the work-approved repository, and I can't even ping my PC when both computers are on due to the VPN). What would be a good thing to use to either replace the dock or augment it so this doesn't happen?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bike tory posted:

You've probably already done this, but the first step with any dock is to make sure you have the firmware up to date. Beyond that it's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you've tried to do to debug this. I suspect having the screens plugged into the PC as well as into the dock, which is also connected to the PC, could cause issues.

A keyboad, mouse and webcam will work totally fine through a $30 USB hub, if that's all you want. It's the multiple screens that usually need way more bandwidth than a hub can provide. If your screens are going directly into your PC anyway, you could just get a dock for those and plug it into your laptop along with the dock when you switch to that?

Unfortunately I don't see anything on the drivers & downloads page for that dock that looks like firmware.

I don't quite understand your second paragraph. I should get a second dock to plug into my existing dock? I also still need a way to get video from the work laptop to the monitors. I may just get a USB switch plus a hub, at least initially. It'll certainly be cheaper than any dock.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bike tory posted:

Sorry I should've written "use the dock for those", not "get". I'm suggesting you get a hub for the KB/mouse/webcam that you move between the dock and the PC.

Like I said though, my hunch is that the issue stems from you have the screens plugged into both the dock that's connected to the PC, and the PC itself. Have you tried unplugging them from the PC?

Ahh, I see. Not really practical to move something between the dock and the PC regularly. I'll try unplugging the video cables from my PC for a few days. I was worried about DisplayPort vs HDMI but since I'm not doing like 4k gaming it's probably not a concern.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Ahh, I see. Not really practical to move something between the dock and the PC regularly. I'll try unplugging the video cables from my PC for a few days. I was worried about DisplayPort vs HDMI but since I'm not doing like 4k gaming it's probably not a concern.

Edit: never mind; Windows decided to re-assign display numbers for some reason. Maybe now it'll be stable.

hooah fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 18, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Ok, so this works, but for some reason it takes several minutes for my PC to pick up the video signals when I wake it up and switch the dock input cable. Any ideas why that would be and what I can do to make it switch faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I got 10 years ago that I think is finally on its last leg, both physically and computationally. I only use it for web browsing and coding while I'm away from home. I'd like to get something not expensive (maybe $500 max) that will run a browser, IntelliJ plus a JVM or two, and maybe Postman or something, without any hiccups. Doesn't have to be Windows. Any recommendations for what consider?