Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Len posted:

Probably exactly how you think it does.

You're in the beta, why don't you just test it out for us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You're in the beta, why don't you just test it out for us?

Not until 6/9/2017 at 11am

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Piell posted:

How does the "you have to pay to resurrect" thing interact with the quests where you have to kill yourself?

You still take damage and pay the fee.

And it isn't really pay to "resurrect". It's basically repairs per death but you pay with a limited currency that you can buy with real money. Which is definitely still lovely but you don't have to pay to literally Rez. Just after 10 deaths you do absolute poo poo damage until you pay the toll.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 10, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think when Legends is released I'll drop Illuminati colors and join Dragons this time around.

KG is pretty awesome but since the Dragons get Daimon Kyota as mission control post Tokyo that means that any future content for them (if Legends works out) will be cooler by default.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DancingShade posted:

I think when Legends is released I'll drop Illuminati colors and join Dragons this time around.

KG is pretty awesome but since the Dragons get Daimon Kyota as mission control post Tokyo that means that any future content for them (if Legends works out) will be cooler by default.

Frankly I liked the old handler, whoever he or she was better than Daimon. It felt like a really clever and bored Dragon analyst who has taken a liking to you and drops hints on whats really going on, or just interesting things to think about. Sometimes really rising with cool transcendant writing. DK debriefs are more "OMG I'm so crazy and chaotic lol", however it might be too early to judge since there was so few of them.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Welp I'm done with beta until 6/9/17 when my ban gets lifted. I was too negative

This is absolutely rediculous and clearly the devs are happy to allow this game to finally die.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Hmm still no word on open beta, if there is one... *cue jokes about release being a yearlong open beta*.

I started playing with my girlfriend a few months ago and we're just entering Blue Mountain but I put that on pause knowing the game was about to die and we'd have to replay it all anyways. I'd love to see a no-wipe open beta come along earlier so we can start playing, but of course I'd wait months if it meant that feedback would be listened to.

It is nice that they're leaving out Tokyo later content at the initial launch so there is less stuff to focus on fixing early on - maybe it would have been cool to launch one region every few months for a kind of staggered progression system, but I guess there isn't really a point to that. I'm a fan of time gating and I don't know why.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Frankly I liked the old handler, whoever he or she was better than Daimon. It felt like a really clever and bored Dragon analyst who has taken a liking to you and drops hints on whats really going on, or just interesting things to think about. Sometimes really rising with cool transcendant writing. DK debriefs are more "OMG I'm so crazy and chaotic lol", however it might be too early to judge since there was so few of them.

My impression was that Daimon was riding the chaos like he was surfing a wave and knew exactly what the outcomes would be. Definitely some kind of immortal playing the long game.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Richard M Nixon posted:

and we'd have to replay it all anyways

wait, what? I'll have to start over and can't continue my dude that's somewhere parked in Egypt?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mike12345 posted:

wait, what? I'll have to start over and can't continue my dude that's somewhere parked in Egypt?

Yeah characters from TSW won't be usable in SWL so you get to discard everything you've done to redo it with the new progression which imo is not good.

You do the Jack Boone quest because it's the first thing you see leaving Agartha but while TSW let you just go grab fuckin' anything and go hog wild the new system forces you to do certain missions, and not fun ones. Funcom chose standard action missions to force the player to do because shooting zombies is a good way to introduce players to the uniqueness of your setting.

The story is also level gated now. So once you follow it's trail of breadcrumbs you hit a point that says "you must be level 12 to continue"

The new skill system is also pretty bland and forced. Each weapon has a basic ability that you can use when you run out of energy and it's mapped to Q. Always and forever you can't put it in another slot. What is you don't have enough skills to fill out the bar and want to slot your other basic? No. That's not allowed to happen because gently caress you that's why.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Time gating only works wten you have something to occupy the players for that long. TSW zones just aren't that big or interesting.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
It sounds as if they're taking all the emphasis off the cool, unique stuff the Secret World has, and focusing on what I would consider the cruft that literally every MMO has.

I'm half tempted to just not bother with the reboot, but I don't want to play vanilla TSW after Legends launch (if that's still possible) because it'll be more empty than it already is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

The new skill system is also pretty bland and forc. Each weapon has a basic ability that you can use when you run out of energy and it's mapped to Q. Always and forever you can't put it in another slot. What is you don't have enough skills to fill out the bar and want to slot your other basic? No. That's not allowed to happen because gently caress you that's why.

Xpadder should fix this. But I basically used xpadder to do what swl is supposed to do, mouse look and left and right click bound to powers. Worked less and less as I played the game though, so I'm looking forward to a real implementation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Colgate posted:

It sounds as if they're taking all the emphasis off the cool, unique stuff the Secret World has, and focusing on what I would consider the cruft that literally every MMO has.

I'm half tempted to just not bother with the reboot, but I don't want to play vanilla TSW after Legends launch (if that's still possible) because it'll be more empty than it already is.

A lot of that unique stuff was not appealing to the general population. It didn't retain players before so they're trying something different.

It might work, it might not. But leaving things as they were was stagnation and eventual closure.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

DancingShade posted:

A lot of that unique stuff was not appealing to the general population. It didn't retain players before so they're trying something different.

It might work, it might not. But leaving things as they were was stagnation and eventual closure.

Yeah, I know. I felt like venting a little.

TSW had some issues that I couldn't overlook, which is why it always lost my attention after a while. I never did make it through Transylvania. But I did always feel like this was one game where the point of it wasn't really the loot grind, which I was glad because the loot system was REALLY boring. I'm probably wrong about that, since I never did make it to the endgame stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh no it was terribly boring loot. The game was all about shooting the poo poo with the mumble crew and playing pretty princess.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Len posted:

Oh no it was terribly boring loot. The game was all about shooting the poo poo with the mumble crew and playing pretty princess.

That's why the four flavors of cat ear were random drops!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tallgeese posted:

That's why the four flavors of cat ear were random drops!

No lovely pubs are why those existed :colbert:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

The loot definitely needs to be something other than tiny icons that all look the same. Needs a pleasing 'ding!' and some sparkly crap to give people that pleasing positive reinforcement sound.

Basically make looting monsters pleasant in the same way that a slot machine sounds pleasant to a compulsive gambler, nice sounds, pretty pixels on the loot screen, that sort of thing. Also make it on a toggle so people who don't want 'ding!' can turn it off.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DancingShade posted:

The loot definitely needs to be something other than tiny icons that all look the same. Needs a pleasing 'ding!' and some sparkly crap to give people that pleasing positive reinforcement sound.

Basically make looting monsters pleasant in the same way that a slot machine sounds pleasant to a compulsive gambler, nice sounds, pretty pixels on the loot screen, that sort of thing. Also make it on a toggle so people who don't want 'ding!' can turn it off.

Good example: Diablo. Loud ding noise, big colored beam emitting from the item, star on minimap.

Funcom went the exact opposite direction with this. No random drops. I don't think they understand how mmos work.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 11, 2017

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
My feeling is that they wanted to demphasize loot grind and instead focus on story, world building, yadda yadda yadda. Which seemingly worked up until a point, that point being when the shut in weirdos who play 60+ hours a week reached max level and started throwing fits about the lack of end game content. So of course they tacked on a fairly generic gear grind end game but without all the things that actually make that model workable.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

They're already going with loot boxes. Why not take it one step further and make the game gacha?

One guaranteed *** rare in every box!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Problem is, even with the cutscenes and chats with NPCs and investigation missions, there really isn't an enormous amount of story. For an MMO, sure, but certainly not enough to keep players occupied for more than a couple of months without some kind of gatekeeping, distraction, or constant drip of new narrative.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I dunno, I felt the opposite. There is an enormous amount of side stories that you might be forgetting. Even dungeons are neat stories by themselves.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There's a decent single player RPG's worth of lore and infodumps there, maybe a few extra days of leisurely farting around, hunting lore drops or watching the honestly good infodump cutscenes. I won't deny that it can be interesting the first time around, and a lot for an MMO, but when you're running the same instances again and again, or repeating missions for XP analogues, that story quickly loses its impact and urgency.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I only played TSW for the story, thus never ran a quest more than once (other than Tokyo tower defense). Hopefully this won't be necessary in SWL.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I only played TSW for the story, thus never ran a quest more than once (other than Tokyo tower defense). Hopefully this won't be necessary in SWL.

I did the Orochi tower so many times I got the special magic xbox controller that let me teleport to the lobby.

I kind of liked that expansion, even if aegis was a terrible idea that needs to die in Legends.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
New beta patch today with Transylvania. Patching servers don't appear to be up yet. I'll go check things out when they are and see if any of the monetization is unfucked.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Changes (To be updated as I test).

Positive
  • Pax is now Anima Shards. Used for upgrading weapons, inventory, and repairs which means...
  • No more limited currency to pay death bills (very positive change)
  • Logged into 12 dungeon keys, 2 scenario keys, and 3 lair keys. Unclear if that many is refreshed every day or if they just stack over several days now.
  • Passives/Actives now only cost 20K Marks each (down from 60k). Edit: 20K/20K for the first active/passive; 30K/30K for the second active/passive; 60K for the second active/passive. Not sure after that. Might be better in the short term might suck more later.
  • Random dungeons now have a bonus rewards icon (doesn't say what it is yet though)
  • Interface shows how much AP/SP you have
  • New better nameplates
  • More daily marks from challenges
  • Lower requirements from challenges
  • Most of the UI reskinned
  • Half of new Dressing Room in, looks pretty good
  • Blade is in. Looks awesome.
  • Multi-faction Cabals

Negative

Unclear:
  • A gamble box that gives appearance items and/or some of the best epic weapons/armor. It costs Cache Keys. Unclear if these are random drops from bosses or if they are purchasable with cash. Probably the later...
  • Auction House looks to have a 10 item sale limit and a 10 item purchase limit. Probably a f2p only limit but not clear yet.
  • Reduction of Anima Shard drop rate but increase in quest rewards. Feels a little poorer overall but maybe that's just pre-Transylvania.
Overall Mood:
  • Hopeful. While there are some positive changes that have happen, there is still some really questionable stuff like Cache Keys and how much they actually changed about dungeon keys. I will probably play through Trans this weekend to see how it goes.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 13, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lawlicaust posted:

Blade is in. Looks awesome.

Well duh, Wesley Snipes is a very handsome man.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The fact that they're observant enough to see the currency system needs changing and are actually working on improving it is a pretty big thing for Funcom. This is very good news.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks goon beta people. It sounds promising enough.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
New wave of beta invites went out and I got into phase 4. I'm in Europe too, if that matters.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jeez, I have disastrous luck.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Sounds like they're making some promising changes with the monetization and such. Now if I could just get in any beta earlier than the last two weeks...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I honestly just want to get into beta so my girlfriend can see char creation.

She has two names on her account, but isn't sure what to reserve until she sees faces.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Amante posted:

Sounds like they're making some promising changes with the monetization and such. Now if I could just get in any beta earlier than the last two weeks...

It's still a little early for me to say the changes are promising. Right now they've only doubled the dungeon keys and removed one of the monetization sinks. You still only get two free dungeon runs and additional keys still cost 500 marks. It's also unclear whether the reduction in price for new weapons is intentional or not. Character created before this phase got the reduction. All new characters didn't. In true Funcom fashion, they answer no questions on the forums outside of bugs related to abilities.

I'll have a better idea if things are better or worse when I get through Transylvania. Right now Egypt is a major slog. Levels take a huge amount of xp and lots of the main quest is level gated. You pretty much have to do every mission in Scorched Desert (all side missions, investigation, etc.) to hit the level requirements to move on.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 13, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well still no beta invite for me so I probably won't get to tinker until launch. Not going to reserve my idiot dumb name anyway, time for a new one.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Lawlicaust posted:

It's also unclear whether the reduction in price for new weapons is intentional or not. Character created before this phase got the reduction. All new characters didn't. In true Funcom fashion, they answer no questions on the forums outside of bugs related to abilities.

Maybe I'm giving Funcom too much credit, but this sounds like they might be A/B testing it and trying to figure out which works better.

I mean, there's still over a month until launch. Monetization isn't content and can be tinkered with right up to the last second (and beyond.) I'm not taking any of the numbers right now as gospel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

Maybe I'm giving Funcom too much credit, but this sounds like they might be A/B testing it and trying to figure out which works better.

I mean, there's still over a month until launch. Monetization isn't content and can be tinkered with right up to the last second (and beyond.) I'm not taking any of the numbers right now as gospel.

If that's the case letting players know that was happening would be nice. As it is there's another feature/bug debate it sounds like.

• Locked thread