Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brain In A Jar posted:

Here's a cool Savage Coast tip: Skip 'Ami Legend', because that quest is some loving bullshit.

When I was levelling not only did I enjoy that mission but I repeated it for skill points :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be amazed if the close runners up didn't get made anyway, just released later.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed this game a LOT when they dropped the subscription model and I first tried it. I still load it up every now and then for a short burst but the content drought is quite noticeable. If you're not in a dungeon or grinding skill points there is pretty much nothing to do in the open world once you'e been everywhere. No spawning monster "hotspots" for players to converge on or anything like that to promote spontaneous co-operative activity.

Noting how even the official forums barely move I'd say its pretty clear this is on life support mode, which is a pity. I imagine season 9 is taking so long just because its probably the work of a skeleton crew.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just loaded this up and saw they added the ultimate outfit in the cash shop.

The Borat Mankini :staredog:

No idea if this is time limited or anything, but apparently while released on April 1st the outfit is legitimate.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drinkfist posted:

Is Tokyo done yet?

Not yet, they're currently working on Issue 11 which is basically Orochi Tower (or so its been heavily implied). The rest is done though.

I like Tokyo although the mob density can be a real pain in the rear end when you just want to travel somewhere. Blue Mountain has nothing on that place. Great atmosphere though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Issue 10 mission database broke sometime over Xmas. The icon to restart the love hotel mission is completely missing for me and I can't complete the first mission again because it refuses to acknowledge that I've found the secret clubhouse bunker. Despite the fact I can walk inside and everything.

Logged a ticket and its a known issue. Apparently the people who can fix it are on Xmas leave so it might be a while :toot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

No I'm pretty sure the game was bad, relatively speaking. If you're going up against single player games as well as another WoW expansion and Guild Wars 2, you need more than a few awesome investigation missions and a fresh setting.

I do not subscribe to the theory that more marketing would have saved Funcom/TSW. The game specifically failed to turn beta players into paying customers. As in, a lot of people DID play beta and they DID want something new, and then didn't buy boxes let alone subscribe. That isn't a marketing problem, it's a "this game is nice but it shouldn't be an MMO"-, a "I played beta and the game looked okay but ran like poo poo and crashed all the time"- and also a "I played Conan and after Tortage the game was poo poo so I'll wait and see" problem. On top of a "it's 2012 why do they want me to pay for box AND subscription" problem.

I think the problem is that after Kingsmouth there's this difficulty spike where you really need to start paying attention to mechanics that maybe aren't explained terribly well. People get frustrated because they're used to games with giant floating arrows and a cash register noise playing every time they loot a coin purse.

Also there's the slight problem that it launched (and still lacks) any form of automatic LFG tool which is pretty fundamental for a PVE focused themepark game. Yes, yes, do dungeons with friends sure, but that completely blocks out casual players who just want to belt out a quick dungeon or two after work and not worry about who is in mumble.

That leads onto the problem of how would you even implement an LFG tool when its pretty hard to lock down what qualifies as a healer or tank. Plus it can take quite a lot of PVE grinding to unlock abilities critical to those roles that you have no need for at all outside dungeons and are probably initially lacking if you're just doing quest missions.

Great game, I love it. But it has always had major design flaws.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Secret World easily has the best narrative and sense of atmosphere in any MMO. It also far exceeds most single player games in that respect too.

So there's a pretty nice diamond in the rough.

^ I think Funcom basically melted down financially? Yeah I was kind of surprised they pulled through, even if they are now basically an empty eggshell.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That sense of player empowerment in a horror situation is I think part of the charm in games like Secret World and (perhaps more so) in FEAR 1. Pity the sequels to that particular FPS didn't capture the magical gun play of the first.

I think when they fix the Issue 10 missions I'll dive back in and knock together some sort of half retarded assault rifle build. I've been using blood/blade for so long I can't remember what anything else plays like.

Oh wow speaking of horror situations you can't slaughter your way through, I forgot about that parking garage in Tokyo with the ghost schoolgirl things that instantly murder you if you turn away from them. gently caress that place :staredog:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 13, 2015

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One of the best tips for a new person is save all those special token things you get for completing quests. Once you have like... 40? or 60? I forget. Anyway, make a beeline for the trailer park in Blue Mountain and buy yourself a QL6 blue weapon or two.

That makes everything in those starting zones super easy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pesterchum posted:

Moon Bog is an absolute pain in the rear end to get through with all those shadow monsters and their many pulls but it's also filled with the only kind of zombies I actually kind of like in a setting. Listening to some of the things they mutter in that area is a little bit unsettling. "No no no please I don't want to do this it's making me do this I can't stop why won't it let me stop" as they charge over to bash your head in.

Insane mutterings is why I really liked Egypt even though it wasn't as classic Lovecraft as the first 3 zones. All those Aten cultists chanting about digging in filth and so on, great atmosphere.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think a thing has ever happened to PVP.

Well except at some point Fusang gained a limit on the number of players per faction in the instance so it never gets too out of control with swarms of 50 Illuminati chasing down 3 Templars or whatever. You'll still get your poo poo wrecked in seconds by someone in 10.4 and better ping though, so good luck.

One day I'll grit my teeth and wade into there so I can get enough tokens to upgrade my rifle to 10.2. It's just not a priority right now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish you could take an advanced character back through your faction story missions from the start. So many good moments.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Saman posted:

With the changes to the main quest that came with issue 9, you should, if i recall, be able to go to your faction headquarters and accept the faction missions somewhere in there? They made a big thing of the change to how the main story missions worked when it launched, i could have sworn that was one of the highlights of that.

You sure about this? I know people have wanted the feature for a while but I don't recall it coming in.

I went to Illuminati HQ and did a quick look around the New York zone and didn't see anything new.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can redo the Issue 9 & 10 story missions if thats what you were referring to?

I don't think I can face off against Beaumont in the Academy again though, or watch Cassie steal his fancy letter opener.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

have they patched in controller support yet? I'm having real trouble playing this game properly on a keyboard. Also, what is a good AR/pistol solo build? The discord link in the op has also expired.

If you're having trouble with a keyboard I'm not sure how a controller will help but you can bind whatever you like to whatever you like I think.

It's hard to recommend a build while you're still unlocking all the various skills you need for the high end stuff. That being said a leech rifle build based around anima shot should get you a long way. Don't even worry too much about your secondary weapon when your primary is a rifle, you'll barely use them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

:haw: Get wrecked you RPing dickhead. (to clarify: the Vice person)

Also who the hell expects a backwater mission hub that nobody ever has reason to revisit to be have players hanging around it? RPers, that's who.
(I've never seen players RP in game ever and I've played TSW since it went B2P, maybe they just suck at meeting people outside their lovely little cliques?)

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 26, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

That isn't even the coolest mission hub to hang out in. It's small and bland. London is probably the best bet since it's the only city that's actually got things in it. New York and Seoul are worthless unless you're Lumi or Dragon

I suspect that like many RPers in many MMOs they never actually develop their characters because all their time is spent drinking fake beer at a bar telling people about their drow/vampire/dragon heritage.
The second zone on the starter island may have been as far as they got :v:

I never go to London anymore since I can get everything I need in New York and the Pyramid is a cool place where the nice man on the loudspeaker reminds people about their mandatory drug injections.
New York streets though... unless you want to spend lucky coins or get plastic surgery then no reason to go out there. It is however a nice break seeing a "normal" looking street though after all the disaster zones and non humans casually going "sup?" in most other places.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

I found RPers in the one mansion where the widow lives in Innsmouth, and told them I was delivering a shipment of Illuminati autism-causing vaccines I needed a signature for and was told OOC to leave.

You did good work.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One's first time in the Polaris dungeon is incredible. All the time you're thinking "why aren't dungeons in other games this good?" and "I hope the other dungeons are as good as this one".

Yes. Yes they are!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brave New World posted:

TSW Database:
http://www.tswdb.com/

Seriously, some of the quests in this game are nigh-on impossible to solve without some help. TSWDB is by far the best place to look when you can't figure out how to solve a quest.

This isn't a joke either. Unless you can literally translate ancient languages or have Sherlock Holmes deduction skills you'll need help from an internet guide for more than one investigation quest.

Feels pretty good when you do figure one out though.

"Here's an obscure clue and no objective marker, off you go!" *kicks you out the door*
(also some investigation missions take place across multiple zones)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Polaris is the best intro to MMO dungeons ever.

Oh you thought you finished? Hell no, it's Cthulhu time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

All this TSW talk is making me debate reinstalling. You guys are awful people.

I didn't reinstall. I always have TSW installed, even when I go through long droughts.

Actually played a bit relatively recently. It's still a really loving good game and I hope that Funcom breathes some more into it for 2017. Beating up the unbound was a genuinely cool mission.

Certainly I want Funcom's next conan game to be good too. Plus I want another Dreamfall game so there's that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

flatluigi posted:

The best part of the game is its writing and its missions and if they keep all that while turning the combat/progression from 'things to get used to or overcome' to 'things that are easy to grasp/use and work well with the rest of the game' then we'll be in a great spot.

This.

My first thought was "oh no my character I spent all that time getting to 10.4 / 10.5 and the filled ability wheel OMG nooo".

Then realised that if they completely rework all combat & skills to something better, update the visuals to something modern and let me port over my vanity stuff then... I'm totally ok with it.
Also I'll add my voice to the "gently caress aegis" crowd.

Hopefully we get combat & graphics more similar to the Conan survival game. I mean I can dream right?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tallgeese posted:

It's all going to be the same mobs, missions, etc.

The main differences are going to be in itemization, character progression, and (supposedly) the way combat is conducted.

Yeah there are no ways to un-gently caress those things without a complete do-over, which we're getting. And with our vanity stuff carrying over that's a fair price I reckon.

It's better than the alternative which is "maintenance mode eternal", which is still technically an option for anyone who doesn't want to make the leap.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Abroham Lincoln posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/29/exclusive-interview-funcom-on-the-secret-world-legends-reboot-and-the-end-of-updates-for-the-secret-world/

Little bit of a Q&A with some small clarifications. Original TSW is full on maintenance mode, main story missions are doable with friends, general improvements to "many missions and story flow." First part of season 2 story is later this year.

Important change: character levels are going to be a thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be down for more Dreamfall references in future Secret World content. I'm not sure I can wait another 10 years for the next one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mercurius posted:

When it was first launched it completely neutered Leech builds and you needed to repeatedly do the tower defence mission to get more controllers.

Those lovely badly tuned tower defence missions were never repeated ever again once I filled out my controller collection.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Loops posted:

Yeah I meant as forum rules go, I don't think the NDA is much of a risk :) so uh anyone have questions about anything specific? I haven't really kept up with the leaks from Reddit so I'm not too sure which info is already out there.
The best new thing that stood out a whole lot to me is the new Agartha, it's definitely lovingly designed with the needs of the players at the forefront and really good looking to boot (although having bankers and auctioneers inside Agartha is weird as hell lore-wise because gaia-empowered immortals playing storage clerk, really?).
Worst new thing that stood out to me was that they added a whole new extra tutorial mission that comes before the Tokyo Subway one and it's kind of horrendous so I'm really hoping this one's just a beta thing.
They also made tweaks to the Tokyo Subway mission that are odd, like outright stating that Orochi was very involved - before there were only mentions of Orochi Tower as one of the affected areas, now it's very explicit that the corporation is deep into it somehow. They also have NPCs in the tutorial visibly use various buffs, cleanses, blood heals and stuff which all feels like a shoutout to old players (hey remember DABS? hmmmm?????) but would probably be just confusing to new players because what are all those random effects happening all the time? Particulary since you can't easily mouseover a buff to check what it's effects are (permanent reticule mode and all), so all you see is a bunch of nondescript yellow icons with mysterious timers. They even have a NPC (Rose White) use Blue Wings at one point, which... um.

The only question I have probably can't be answered right now anyway - how smoothly does importing your bling from Ye Olde Secret World go?

I'm assuming that's not available for testing yet though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CoffeeBooze posted:

It could very well be this. It seems like the games original fan base is pretty wound up about the rerelease and just looking for an opportunity to revolt. A miscommunication about a design decision thats not yet set in stone could lead to some pretty bad PR which Funcom really doesnt want considering how so far theyve actually built some decent hype up about the game.

If they game was so dead that it was relaunched then I'm sure all 80 people who still logged in regularly across all date/time zones will be furious.

Original TSW was never going to get any more content anyway. So it's this or nothing.

Question is: how appealing is nothing?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think when Legends is released I'll drop Illuminati colors and join Dragons this time around.

KG is pretty awesome but since the Dragons get Daimon Kyota as mission control post Tokyo that means that any future content for them (if Legends works out) will be cooler by default.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Frankly I liked the old handler, whoever he or she was better than Daimon. It felt like a really clever and bored Dragon analyst who has taken a liking to you and drops hints on whats really going on, or just interesting things to think about. Sometimes really rising with cool transcendant writing. DK debriefs are more "OMG I'm so crazy and chaotic lol", however it might be too early to judge since there was so few of them.

My impression was that Daimon was riding the chaos like he was surfing a wave and knew exactly what the outcomes would be. Definitely some kind of immortal playing the long game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Colgate posted:

It sounds as if they're taking all the emphasis off the cool, unique stuff the Secret World has, and focusing on what I would consider the cruft that literally every MMO has.

I'm half tempted to just not bother with the reboot, but I don't want to play vanilla TSW after Legends launch (if that's still possible) because it'll be more empty than it already is.

A lot of that unique stuff was not appealing to the general population. It didn't retain players before so they're trying something different.

It might work, it might not. But leaving things as they were was stagnation and eventual closure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Oh no it was terribly boring loot. The game was all about shooting the poo poo with the mumble crew and playing pretty princess.

The loot definitely needs to be something other than tiny icons that all look the same. Needs a pleasing 'ding!' and some sparkly crap to give people that pleasing positive reinforcement sound.

Basically make looting monsters pleasant in the same way that a slot machine sounds pleasant to a compulsive gambler, nice sounds, pretty pixels on the loot screen, that sort of thing. Also make it on a toggle so people who don't want 'ding!' can turn it off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dumb and kinda scared posted:

I only played TSW for the story, thus never ran a quest more than once (other than Tokyo tower defense). Hopefully this won't be necessary in SWL.

I did the Orochi tower so many times I got the special magic xbox controller that let me teleport to the lobby.

I kind of liked that expansion, even if aegis was a terrible idea that needs to die in Legends.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks goon beta people. It sounds promising enough.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well still no beta invite for me so I probably won't get to tinker until launch. Not going to reserve my idiot dumb name anyway, time for a new one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Did government type ever do anything?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

Does it still have the fun feature where it just keeps downloading well after 100%?

I hope so though the best feature was corrupting your install after successfully patching so you basically wanted to verify everything each patch anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just want to see all the TSW steam players form a "boycott TSW Legends" group then all play it anyway like the COD:MW2 people did.

• Locked thread