Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

quote:

* Clarified Live Wire’s tooltip to indicate that it triggers off the 5th critical hit.
... so Live Wire is only 6% better than One in the Chamber, a non-elite? Was that done for PvP or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

What gets me isn't that it's worse than other DPS elite passives, it's that it's only marginally better than a non-elite passive.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Marx posted:

My least favorite part of the game is the City of the Sun God, which is the second part of Egypt. The storyline is interesting, but the environment just feels horrible. It's a giant 3d maze of valleys and ledges and navigating it for the first couple of times is obnoxious.

All the other zones are pretty good though.
CF is probably worse between literally everything leaving DOTs on you after combat, and Field Transfusion being the thing that should not exist.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Hey guys, if you were thinking about buying anything with your Last Train to Cairo tokens, you might have to wait til maintenance!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

If you disassemble a taco, you get a nacho. Where the filling goes, nobody knows. Maybe they ARE magic.

Also I've found that hammer/shotgun is a godsend for tanking with lovely gear because between Stonewalled, Trucker, Defensive Turret, Shotgun Turret with Improved Blasts, and Raging Volcano, it's stupidly easy to just pile up a ton of zero-effort mitigation on really short cooldowns. On the other hand, its AoE threat is kind of sketchy if you can't slot raging volcano because Ground Pound doesn't give bonus threat and Grand Slam doesn't proc Breakdown on targets hit by the AoE.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 16, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Ninja nerf discovered: Apparently you can completely avoid damage on Ur-Draug by running around a pillar because the Cleave windup is so slow that you'll LOS him before he finishes casting it. Your fun will be short-lived, however, because he'll eventually hit you with a 10-second uncleansable root with the tooltip "You've made the Ur-Draug mad!" and probably follow it up with Slam.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Machine Tyrant (and legit 3/6 HF) are pretty much the best fight in the game. Why anyone wouldn't want to do them is beyond me.
It's not so much that I don't want to do Machine Tyrant as that I don't want to do Machine Tyrant with the DPS I usually get grouped with for him.

And yes, Cleanup needs to go away. They could easily fix the problem by just making Cleansing Drone follow your defensive target instead of your offensive target, or just making cleanses as easily available and simple to activate (i.e. hitting your defensive target instead of self or offensive target PBAoEs) as purges already are.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 20, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

KaneTW posted:

Rift chloromancers

(ok ok you do a third-half the damage of yourself in a DPS role but still)
I dunno what it's like now, but pre-SL, Justicar hybrids were completely balanced on that front due to 2 things: First, their damage and healing stats were the same, which meant they didn't have to balance around the multiplier effect of leech percentages. (In fact, if TSW did that, it'd probably make Born Leader and 90% of the fist and blood passives not complete garbage.) Second, they were strictly AoE healers, which meant they weren't going to totally replace MT healers, they were just something you brought on AoE-heavy fights.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 21, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cheston posted:

One of the Elites makes a volcano!
Raging Volcano doesn't actually make a volcano, it makes you spin around and shoots chains at things near you. I really don't get it, but it's hardly alone in skills that look nothing like what their descriptions or icons would suggest (Rail Turret, Mortar Support, everything in Chaos).

e: Speaking of confusing spell appearances, it took me a bit to figure out that Reap and Sew was actually that and not some boss mechanic I was supposed to run away from.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 23, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Expect Binding to be the most useful if it procs for every enemy hit.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fewd posted:

Some are also gnarly old angries of an earlier mmorpg generation. Old habits die hard and for example in EQ it was considered really dickish to intervene with other peoples fights unless asked to do so. Etiquette was very different back then.
It also depends a lot on the tapping and XP splitting mechanics. If someone sight-aggros a big blob of things and then someone dumps an AOE on a bunch of them, tapping them in the process, then that's kind of dickish. It XP splits regardless of tap, then that's also kind of being a dick. If it's something like GW2 and there are no taps whatsoever, then sure, go nuts.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Please tell me this goes insane places
The plot doesn't "go" anywhere, it's a Donnie Darko style mash of random poo poo happening with all of the information that would explain what's going on deliberately left out.

orcane posted:

Get three round burst and possibly suppressing fire then ignore the outer ring for a while. Don't spend too much on self-healing if you can just kill things faster instead.
To be clear, if you're ever dying too fast in this, take a defensive cooldown or stack more max HP gear. The only heals that are worth anything for soloing are the one in blood that scales off attack power and maybe Regeneration.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cheston posted:

It's a flat 40% increase to your penetration chance unless you're already at 60% or above (unlikely, unless you're QL10 and in Kingsmouth), so I wouldn't worry about wasted potential as compared to Deadly Aim.
Yeah, but you can leverage more out of keeping the percentages in balance (though exactly what balance varies) because of the multiplier effect of them than you would with a flat increase. Same idea as popping buffs at the same time, basically. I don't know if it'll really be a gain though because penetration is stupidly good, crits only do +25% damage with no crit power and about +50% if you stack a decent amount of it, penetration is usually around double damage against harder stuff.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Yeah, i read tech reviews recommending DX11 over 9 for this game. How noticeable is the difference? And is it something a better computer can handle?
Random fights (particularly the last boss in HE) put me in single-digit framerates with DX11, so I've kept it off.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This game has GREAT use of tessellation on the ground.
That's not tesselation, that's parallax mapping (or something similar) and you see the same thing in DX9.

The two versions aren't really very different, the only thing I've noticed that's particularly different is that it seems like DX11's skin shaders don't redden to an obnoxious extent as often.

GEMorris posted:

Dreamworld is funcom's name for bees
Fixed.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 27, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

While we're sharing screenshots, for people who don't bother looking, this turned up in Agartha.

No way to get there yet, but meet Tokyo.
This also turned up. It doesn't go anywhere yet.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I'm seriously considering writing a defragger for those RDBs just to make this game's not-installed-on-an-SSD performance not go from terrible to even more terrible after every patch.

e: Stealth change since the hotfix: Jumping off Agartha and getting teleported back to the top no longer triggers a load screen.

It looks like they changed some spell effects too, Blowout, Ground Pound, and Shockwave look much different now. There's also a bunch of Orochi stuff all over Shadowy Forest that didn't used to be there, but not sure if that's from this patch or the last one.

They also removed the terrain-jump shortcut across Fang Run, gently caress you Funcom.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 29, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Apparently the 1.7 patch shat up the combat numbers or something, nightmare enemies are blocking a lot more and getting penetrated a lot less, even and everyone's DPS is suffering a lot as a result. As in, way beyond what would be explained by the multi-hit nerf.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 29, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

One thing to keep in mind for questing stuff is that it looks like the "multi-hit abilities" that got nerfed includes AoEs, so you'll probably be doing substantially less damage if your soloing strategy involves using an AoE builder.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Just rolled an alt and I think Regeneration deserves a spot in the "ridiculously good low-level passives" list because the description is wrong and it actually lasts for 10 seconds, which is about a third of your HP restored.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fewd posted:

Regarding the healer, if your buddy is aiming to heal the dungeons and all that, at least in my opinion it's easiest to start with fist and expand into blood. Assault rifle leeching is okay too but seems to take better gear to get full use out of it.
Fist-blood is really good for starting out, partly because Exquisite Corpse is still bugged and reduces the damage of a hit by 50% even if it's more than the barrier would absorb (making it amazing for stuff like Ur-Draug that hit like a truck), partly because Cold Blooded is an amazing elite, partly because it lets you be effective before you get Empowerment (unlike Fist-pistol), and partly because it lets you fix your group up during hide phases (unlike AR).

IMO best thing to do if you're really interested in healing is get, in order:
- Surgical Steel
- The Scarlet Arts
- Exquisite Corpse (use Angelic Aegis until you get it)
- Empathy
- Cold Blooded
- Cauterize (use Nurture until you get it)
- Healing Sparks (makes Surgical Steel more effective and procs Empowerment more)
- Empowerment (use Out of the Woods until you get it)

Also, start stacking crit rating because Empowerment is really good, but depends on continually getting crit heal ticks. Get Shadow Medic at some point at well.

If you want to actually do damage in the meantime with the same weapons, get Finish the Movement (from Blade), Bloodline, and Blood Shot and just alternate those for hilarious damage.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

WarLocke posted:

How pervasive is the cash shop in this game?
Mission packs are interesting and have nice rewards, but nothing you can't get in far more boring ways like AoEing Weekend Warriors to death.

Aside from that, if you don't want cosmetic items, you can safely ignore it.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jul 17, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

WarLocke posted:

Decent goon presence or would I be going in solo?

Sorry, am reading the thread but like 800 posts behind.
Get on Mumble if you want to do stuff, you can often find people but you might have difficulty at low levels. Grouping for missions isn't really a thing except for Transylvania signet missions (largely because there's very little incentive to roll alts), but with a decent spec you can tear through leveling content pretty effortlessly.

Also I just remembered that some of the signet rewards need a token you only get from issue 6 and 7 missions, but I don't know if those are even the best signets, and if they are then the difference is marginal.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Savage Coast is like QL 3-4 and Blue Mountain is like QL5-6. A QL 10 weapon is total overkill.
I disagree completely, I ran an experiment rushing a QL10 weapon on my alt and it wound up being about 20% more base damage on top of pretty much never glancing, which is a lot more difference than I think I'd get power-leveling talismans.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I think Chaos might be an exception to that because defensive cooldowns are really good for soloing and Fleeting Fortress makes the Chaos ones significantly better.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

For the newcomers, here's your handy soloing cheat sheet:

- Buy some QL10 glyphs on the auction house and slap them on anything that takes glyphs. Stacking pen rating is particularly hilarious.

- Focus SP mainly on getting a weapon to skill level 9 so you can buy a cheap QL10 on the auction house, you will kill poo poo much faster between the better weapon and not glancing. You don't have to completely forgo talismans, but you should pretty much ignore them unless there are some in your inventory that you can't equip AND you're not glancing at all.

- Aim for about 3000 max HP.

- Stupidly good skills for soloing: Hit & Run (in Kingsmouth at least), Regeneration, Breakdown, Raging Volcano, Clearing the Path, Elemental Force, Trucker, Raging Volcano, Improved Blasts + Shotgun Turret, and any defensive cooldown.

- Melee weapons are absurdly good for soloing because defensive cooldowns give you a huge survival advantage and Breakdown gives you a huge damage advantage.

- Don't do side missions that force you to go out of your way to complete them.

- If you get an item that's not an upgrade, not QL10, and not a blue BoE, vendor it. If you get a rune and it's not "Sacred" or "Pure," vendor it.

- You can repair at any vendor.

- Get sprint upgrades ASAP (Quickened Anima at the faction dealers)

- You can pick your respawn point when you die, also you can kill yourself with /reset combined with the previous fact to get places fast.

- Every zone has a dungeon, find a group for the dungeon in the group finder if you're doing OK in the zone so you can get upgrades and the massive first-time-run XP payout.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Chaos is Tanking, Shotguns are tanking/support.

Ele has a few neat CC tricks like Flicker, Molten Earth, and Coldwave. And if you go Ele Support, the Mainfestations could prove useful.

Blood is healing I think, so I have no idea.
Shotgun and ele both have a lot of "strike" attacks, which are easy to stack bonuses on. Use Flame Strike as your ele consumer, either Ignition or Striker as your builder, and either Out for a Kill or Raging Bullet as your shotgun consumer. Take Strike Force and Improved Strikes.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

If you're going to solo as blood, consider getting Expulsion.

Re: factions, the biggest difference between factions are some faction-exclusive story missions and, long-term, deck outfits.

The faction missions are basically one mission involving running around bullshitting in your faction's city, and a horror mission that either resembles FEAR (

Templar: The MMO version of FEAR, and a dumb puzzle mission.

Dragon: A stealth mission, and a mission that sends you to Silent Hill.

Illuminati: A stealth mission, and some mission based in Quake 2's crate factory.

Also goons seem to like the Illuminati handler a lot, and Dragon dialog is pretty much information-free deus ex machina dreck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

HughGRect posted:

We talked about the filth drakes flying around a couple days ago, and here are some screen captures I tool a couple minutes ago of the live server compared to the testlive server (patch hitting tomorrow) of the progression of the filth from Tokyo.
How do you get rid of the terrible DOF filter?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

If you want a blade/hammer soloing build then use this:

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.0902.05230008g.051k.048401.09.058.09002.09.09.043.09000/5h7a5l7g4z6j7seqbi40504u9s6k6mep

Basically unkillable and shits damage.

Also someone said that Signet of Order was "the other good tanking head signet," so what's the other good one?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Len posted:

Thwoompa I know that you are an endgame player and have all the endgame gear. But you keep commenting on newbies and telling them how they should be playing if they were in the endgame gear.
I'm not a complete newbie (I'm MaxSerious), I just got a blue Order from a signet bag and I'm wondering whether I should slap it in a LTTC headpiece or if I should sell it and get something else.

Nostrum posted:

Which paths do you put SP into while leveling this? Just straight DPS? Do you just wear straight DPS gear?
I tried some different SP paths and the best return I got was from just dumping them into weapons until I hit skill 9 and could buy a cheap QL10 off the auction house, doing that gives you more base damage and makes you pretty much never glance, as opposed to talismans which are mostly just stat chunks. I think the best balance would be put points into whatever lets you equip the best blue items in your inventory, and if you have any leftovers, put them toward getting a weapon to skill 9.

Also get Shoot 'Em Up last unless you need it for something else because Blade Torrent + Perfect Storm is only slightly worse.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 28, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Azubah posted:

Is this what comes after Tokyo?
Based on the conversations I heard, it's what comes after London.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I remember the Black House's damaging effect being called "Leave This House"

None of it has anything on Scrapyard Edgar though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Edgar's ability names in Tyler Freeborn are good too. Unfortunately I don't remember what they are right now.
I know one of them is "Orbitities" and one is "Crazy poo poo"

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Bauxite posted:

If you really like blood/elementalism, you can make a build involving afflictions and using chain attacks.
Don't do this, afflictions don't scale with pen/crit which makes them really pretty lovely aside from taking one easy-to-apply one to trigger bonus effects (i.e. Clearing the Path, Blaze).

Blood/Ele is actually a really good spec, but what makes it good is that you can take Finish the Movement and Bloodline to spam out Bloodshot non-stop, and use low-resource consumers in ele (Blaze, Flame Strike, Mag Wipe) to both boost your average attack damage and keep Highly Strung up.

Also if you really need a defensive ability on that, get Expulsion.

Blood/Ele is also mainly for ST, if you want an AoE spec for soloing then take Blade because Clearing the Path is just way too good.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Cheston posted:

Did they remove /reset, or is it just not letting me for some reason?
You can't use it in combat. Which is of course the best news in the world when Facility 6 bugs out.

Killsion posted:

Most are fine for story progression purposes etc, but once you get to endgame you are pretty much forced into something cookie-cutter.
Even "fine" is only true to the extent that pretty much anything works, but some specs are drastically easier and let you be much sloppier about aggroing random poo poo and running bad gear, and then if you want to solo nightmare mobs the viable set gets pared down even further.

The problem is that the vast majority of mechanics suck for pretty glaring reasons. Afflictions and extra-hit skills suck (beyond using affliction as a trigger for bonus effects) because they don't pen/crit. Crit is underwhelming because penetration is absurdly better. Evade sucks because it takes way too much evade rating to get any, and it's spiky as hell on everything that isn't Machine Tyrant. "Paladin" soloing builds suck because it takes too much heal rating to beat just wearing one max health. Melee DPS sucks because it doesn't bring buffs, doesn't do much more than ranged, and gets poo poo on by the absolute deluge of bosses that either dump AoEs at their feet or force you to hide. Everything that triggers on impairs/hinders sucks because they're not good enough for something that's only usable once every 30 seconds. Most elite damage abilities suck because they either run into something else mentioned here, put CC immunity stacks on bosses, or have some other dumb limitation (i.e. rail turret doesn't pen/crit even though shotgun turret does).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

The only alternative to Cleanup that's even remotely usable on Machine Tyrant is to have absolutely everyone take Collaboration.

Purges are a complete non-issue because ele can purge one target every 3 resources or purge an AoE every 10 seconds so who cares.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Scrapyard Edgar skill list:
Pshew-Pshew
Orbitities
Crazy poo poo
Circus Dances
Super Splash
Leash Lash

elhondo posted:

Besides those two bosses then, it seems like the issue is that you're in a group with 3 DPS, all with the same attitude regarding CU (since, you only really need 1 person in the group to have it, for most fights). Maybe you could just advertise for players that have CU, and form the group that way (which is what I guess everyone else is doing that caused the issue to begin with).
Nobody's denying that CU is completely unnecessary outside of those fights, it's just that it's basically mandatory for some fights, and the only alternatives are even more expansive tweaks to your group composition. If you want to run 18s and don't have Cleanup, then you get to go grind.

It's worse because Lifeburn is a terrible mechanic that doesn't really do anything interesting for the fight, it just forces all of the DPS to run Cleanup, and if they nerf Cleanup into uselessness (which they tried to do, and only made people run another copy of it), then it'll force everyone to run Pistol or Blood.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

PSA for whoever kept asking for help to do Research of Tyler Freeborn: Hide behind the backhoe and equip melee weapons. If a Guardian comes over to you (and few will, most will bother the NPCs instead), just one-shot it with a consumer. Repeat. Did it today and didn't even get a single stack of filth exposure (and barely took any damage at all because they always open with Anathema).

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

GEMorris posted:

At the point in the game you get it, every version of London underground is difficult.
The Dragon version is a complete joke, you can just sprint past everything, clicking the objective, and leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

HughGRect posted:

replace them with fluid defense and Overpenetration.
Minor nitpick, don't take Overpenetration into a dungeon, Iron Maiden is strictly better than it unless your tank isn't applying affliction for some reason. They also don't stack with each other.

Another thing too is that regardless of staying in a range bracket, melee DPS has serious issues in NM because it doesn't do much more than ranged, but around half of nightmare bosses will either dump AOEs at their feet or have some other gently caress melee gimmick (i.e. Recursia's shields).

• Locked thread