Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So when does damage catch up?

Doing AR/Shotgun. Alternating through my skill points between Shotgun and AR damage, and grabbing the armor unlocks on the side. Currently have three points in AR damage, and 2 in Shotgun damage, then 1 point in each armor category.

On top of that, I just unlocked the end ranks of ARs, because I've been alternating back and forth between unlock shotgun stuff/ar stuff.

I can kill the horde zombies just fine, but the second I head to the beaches, and fight the mariners/draug, it takes me a hell of a long time to burn through them, usually 3-4 rotations of popping the point blank/grenade high damage AR/Shotgun moves. Anything over two mobs, and I'm toast, and I'm hardpressed to kill two at a time.

Also, I can buy two episodes on the store. When do those technically start in game. One apparently has something to do with the events of Kingsmouth, so I'm wondering if I should buy it now to have it unlocked by the time I finish the zone.

Finishing the story line is a good bench mark for the DLC, or at least getting to Transylvania and being QL 10 (including gear). Increasing the AR and shotgun skills is good, but the effect only reduces your chance to glance. To increase your damage you need better gear and weapons.

Your first real damage boost will come when you hit Rifle skill 5 and you go to Blue Mountain and buy a blue Rifle with the 50 sequins your hoarding from doing missions. A good mid step is to get into Polaris groups when you hear people looking for members in general chat, or best bet is ask in awful chat/mumble if any bored goons would be willing to do a quick run through Polaris normal. The overgear check is not that bad and most people in QL 10 blues+ should be able to solo it so you can get all the fat loots. Watch out for pubbie Polaris normal groups, if its a legit newbie crew I would hold off. Most of the time there are QL 10's who want kits or a specific weapon skin from Polaris and are nice enough to let young'ens in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
For soloing, I would go with AR as a healing choice. Doesn't need a ton of heal rating to be effective and the consumers for when you don't need healing hit pretty hard. But all three can do the job, pick the one that works for you.

You could always make a blood-rocution themed deck.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Bags of Ethereal Gambit are live, so go waste your sequins on them. :toot:

What are they? For 30 sequins of Soloman Island, 20 Sequins of Egypt thing, or 10 Sequins of Transylvania you can get a little lottery bog.

Some prizes inside:
Pax
More Sequins
Green/Blue signet bags
Blue/Purple Aux weapon upgrade kits
Talisman upgrade kits (10 green to blue, 10 blue to purple)

There are gags that can come out of it as well:
a 10 second rain cloud
forced dancing
things that cause your screen to change color for a few seconds
something that puts a short duration damage over time on you
Things

Buy them everywhere the Counsel of Venice sells its wares.

E: There is also a new clothing accessory slot, made because pubbies complained about wanting blutooth head pieces. At least headbands also go there for all you horse/unicorn headed heroes.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 26, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Is it just me or does this game run rather poorly? I use a gtx460 and even on medium setting I get slowdown and overheating. For reference, I can play beautiful games like TERA on high and have no trouble.

Have to ask, are you running in DX11? If so its very unstable and recommended to play in DX9.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

Gloves/Glasses/Chest/Legs/Boots. You can wear a jacket over it.

Its missing something, wouldn't it look better with a unicorn head and a black bandanna?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

Too drat much.

Not too much maybe, since it uses the same currency as the vendor in Egypt you can just load up on doing last train missions now until you hit the cap of 150 credits of Car Oreos.

Edit: Also managed to sell 10 lottery bags for a million pax each. Pubbies love their lottery.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 27, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
You can also upgrade the necklace to 10.5.5, which is kind of nice. I personally would of rather had unique effect signets like the head ones, but a blue-and-a-half is good enough for me.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Commissar Kip posted:

But when will the 1.7 content actually release? And is that Orochi suit already available or is it just on the test server?

It should be enabled next week, following week at the latest. And the Orochi suit will be available when 1.7 is.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
It has been way to many pages since we had a horse head, for your consideration:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

This also turned up. It doesn't go anywhere yet.

I hear that will one day lead to the Counsel of Venice and/or the scenario system.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

IMPORTANT THING I JUST CHECKED: Signet of Fury no longer counts up for every hit of a multi-hit ability. Nothing of the like was mentioned in the patch notes, so I'm assuming this is actually a bug of some kind. I'll float the question over at the forums.

It was a bug that it wasn't affected by the global cool down, it was fixed.

And the ele force losing double crits but working correctly for focusthe attacks is what is pushing pistol users above AR, a full crit shoot out is just stupid damage.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 28, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

That wasn't mentioned in the patch notes. And I don't think any 'global cooldown' influences this fact.

I'm still checking; The Business now only procs it once, Shootout two to three times (it's inconsistent, but according to the tooltip text on the ability it should be proccing five times), Gun Crazy three times, and Safety Off once both with and without Extra Bullet.

Look at the testlive patch notes, its right there. Live and testlive are using the same build.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So, PvP exp gain seems hosed.

I just wanted to do enough to unlock the Basic PvP Armor Models. So I started running El Dorado's/Stonehenges. After 6 horrible soulcrushing losses in which we got base camped, I now have just over 1000 exp.

I need 50,000. And apparently 4 more ranks after that.

This seems to be a horrible grind even to just unlock the basic stuff, am I missing something, or is this just poor planning in action.

Yeah, the top tier requires 200 of those little tokens. And I am currently up to 70 out of those 200, not including what I already spent to get the first tiers. The easiest way I have found to get pvp xp is to use the fight clubs with a willing opponent who doesn't mind getting beaten up for an hour. In the mini zones you get 30 xp per kill, in fight clubs you get 100 (-5 per kill).

^^Pvp is the reason for every major ability nerf since the game went live. But they can't get the actual pvp mini games to work and be enjoyable to anyone other then the 10.5.5's running around inside.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Looks like we are getting an anniversary event:

• There is a flare gun, no clue what it does.
  • A T-shirt
  • Nine bosses to kill, with titles. The theme is guardians of Gaia.
  • 13 new pets - 1 for each of the bosses (no clue on drop rate yet, 4 others)
  • Some new lore
  • A ton of new clothes, not sure when they will get released.

^^^^^Every 10,000 xp is 5 tokens, sometimes it bugs out and gives 10. Every battle rank is 50,000xp.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 1, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

alfheimwanderer posted:

Regarding the bosses...what I'm interested in is why we're supposed to "bring down" the Guardians of Gaia. I'm just hoping the world won't be as borked as with the Winter event.

Kirsten Geary says it best:

"We're getting reports that they've been showing up where the filth outbreaks have been most prevalent. Which means all of the wonderful hotspots you've been visiting recently.
Management thinks we already have enough competition for the title of Last Man Standing after the apocalypse. If you see any more of those things, get rid of them. They're about as effective at saving the world as buying a Prius and they're almost as annoying.
We want to remain the dominant loving parasite."

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

guppy posted:

Sweet. Any word on when it goes live?

The anniversary event starts on the 3rd and goes until the 7th or 8th. At the end of that event, 1.7 content goes live.

Now we need to get a group or two together to go out and kill all these guardians for the achievements.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

JayJay posted:

Guess I am just non-repenting cheater scum.

I'm right there with ya. I believe that if your not cheating, your not trying.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it worth throwing my tokens at these bag of ethereal gambits? Particularly the eqypt ones, if it makes a difference.

The bags of ethereal gambit are more of an end game thing for spending the hundreds of sequins that have accumulated. With that said, the real only use for sequins I have found is the Soloman Island ones, to buy a cheap QL 6 weapon.

Anyways, to answer your question: Go ahead and buy the bags, not much else to spend them on.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Some additional undocumented stuff regarding the event: Possible Spoilers, tagging in case someone cares about surprises still:

There is a reward for defeating each boss, which appears to be a loot bag. These bags are called 'Genizah of the X' X being a relation to the boss you kill. One is Genizah of the Flowing Stone, another is the Genizah of the Lunar Metal. There are nine total. The contents of the bags are unknown, but I will make an educated guess on what is inside; 8 black bullions and/or a pet based off the boss.

The pets are named similar to the bags, only their title is Shem of the X.

• Pitiqtu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Living Clay - Kingsmouth
  • Anzanunzu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Raging Torrent - Savage Coast
  • Abnu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Flowing Stone - Blue Mountain
  • Isatis Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Liquid Fire - Scorched Desert
  • Basi Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Unforgiving Sand - City of the Sun God
  • Halbu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Elder Forest - Somewhere in Besieged Farmlands
  • Erbu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Crawling Plague - Somewhere in Shadowy Forest
  • Kasu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Frozen Truth - Somewhere in Carpathian Fangs
  • Kaspu Nasiru - Genizah/Shem of the Lunar Metal - Fusang

There are 9 pieces of new lore, located near where the bosses spawn at.

For the curious with a quick google search, Shem and Genizah appear to be Hebrew in nature. Genizah is a temporary repository. Shem is a little more open ended and could mean a few things, maybe name or descendant here.

I think I posted the mission completion texts earlier.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 5, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bursk posted:

Subscription Stuffs

You should be able to complete 30 missions playing casually on and off during that month, and use those bonus points to pick up either a outfit to start your pretty pretty princess career or one of the issue pack DLC's.

The other rewards are kinda meh and wont cause a loss of sleep.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Need goons to kill a guardian, Kill and I found one!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xanthan posted:

Is there a way to tell where these event monsters will be in advance other then random luck?

You can also join the pubbie channel #anniversity. Yes they misspelled it, but there are 300+ people shouting where the monsters are currently. Its useful, if chaotic.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Tin can Shem, best Shem.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
The guardians are being summoned by the gatekeeper, whom is one of Gaia's champions, to control the increased frequency of filth events from the current source in Tokyo . The gatekeeper operates on a scorched earth philosophy, destroy everything and let Gaia sort it out later.

The factions come into play because the guardians don't recognize filth from earth. So the factions are on damage control and trying to protect civilization while countering the filth. Plus a ton of big giant golems running around is a PR nightmare, so there is that as well.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 5, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I think the trans clothing might be fuzzy earmuffs, calling it here first.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Funcom is going to keep the Golem's active until the 15th, but everything else will end on the 8th.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

JayJay posted:

Really? I tried to kill a golem and couldn't seem to hit it, then I died, and when it died I didn't get any kind of acknowledgement that I participated at all. :( I'll try again later I guess.

Supposedly there was a bug with not getting rewards for participating, I have been using some QL 0's, and even in the well after dying I would get credit.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Issue 7 is now set for the 9th according to the announcement on the forums.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Issue #7 is just Trans missions and Flamethrower? c/d

Pretty much, and the poor mans custom neck piece with the blue-and-a-half signet. Though I did enjoy the story so far from the missions, better then Freeborn and Cairo.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Pierson posted:

Besides all this anniversary stuff has there been any more story/episodic content added since Mystery of Tyler Whatshisname? That's the main part of the game I enjoyed.

Last Train to Cairo was added since that.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

There are a loving TON of solo instances and it really makes playing as a two/three-person group a pain in the rear end. It's hoping that your buddies are able to solo the content themselves, and if they're not and you can, it's no fun. Does this trend continue past the Savage Coast, because it's making playing together a royal bitch.

Funcom acknowledged this, and has said there will be less, possibly no more, solo combat instances. But what's there, is there to stay.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Fewd posted:

Tranny golems are now live, just killed the SF one.

To tack onto this, the clothing item is glowy eyes, not ear muffs like I hoped.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The glowing eye thing, will that be available until the 15th?

Believe so, unless they change the loot tables.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Except for the Transylvanian DLC. We don't have much to form a pattern on there, but it definitely looks to me like they pushed that back in favor of this event. And that's not fun.

And damnit, the clothing reward for the Transylvanian leg is glowing eyes? :sigh: That one I actually might have to get...

Issue 7 is not ready to be released that's what is causing the delay, not this event.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

Whatever idiot thought Flare Guns were a good prize should be strangled. I want my last pet drat you.

(My apologies to those who haven't got any yet, but the RNG god has swung between getting pets first try and giving me flare guns 24/7 this event).

If the bags were bound to your character and had a 24 hour cooldown on collecting ii would agree. But two hours, them being tradeable and require little effort makes me like them the way they are.

On the note of trading, I will do a one for one, based on the bags region. I have all the pets and clothes, so I'm just hoarding until these bags get rare after the event is over.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Bursk posted:

I'm going to start playing for the first time with someone who wants to be a healer. Any suggestions as to what sort of build(s) we should go for?

Also, is there anything in particular a new player should be doing before the end of the anniversary? If there are cool bonuses or whatever it'd be a shame to miss out on them, despite being completely new to the game.

Kill each boss once and collect the lore associated with the event at the minimum. This will cover the achiements, the bosses also have a chance to drop clothes and pets that are unique to the event.

The bosses are also worth a healthy chunk of XP, even at low levels.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xanthan posted:

So what are the chances I'll see Fusang today for the golem there? I only need that one and the one from the Besieged Farmlands to round out my kills.

Zero, people are reporting ques of 12+ hours. Funcom broke something with the match making for Fusang, coupled with there are only two instances of it and your only allowed into one AND the population cap is about 30 per side. Its best to wait until a server downtime or Tuesday when a fix is supposed to happen to address it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
A little PSA for new goons regarding black bullion:

There is an awful rumor going around the TSW forums that its better to buy talismans over weapons. This is the worst advice ever. If you find your in a position to spend some bullion before your doing Nightmare dungeons on cooldown, get a weapon that matches your highest skill.

I plan to amend this post with numbers to support my case when I get home. The reasoning is that attack rating will hit diminished returns well before your weapon, when calculating combat power.

• Combat Power - The statistic that matters when it comes to how much damage you do, it is derived from Weapon Power and Attack Rating (or heal rating). Here is a link to the formula.

Case 1: Your in QL 10 greens or below, and you want to know if you should choose a custom weapon or a custom head piece.
The maximum attack rating you can have in Green gear is 1264 and a green weapon has 270 weapon power. This leaves you with ~347 combat power. If you replace the weapon you will get ~416 combat power. If you replace the head piece you will get ~394 combat power.

Replacing the weapon will give a higher boost to combat power, resulting in more damage.

Case 2: Your in QL 10 blues, or a mix of blues and greens. Do you take a weapon or head piece?
The maximum attack rating you can have in Blue gear is 2395 and a blue weapon has 347 weapon power. This leaves you with ~545 combat power. Replacing the weapon will give you ~583 combat power. Replacing the head piece will give ~557 combat power.

Again, replacing the weapon will result in higher damage from a higher combat power score.

One arguement is that if your undecided on what weapon you want to use, in that case a head piece might be a worthwhile alternative.
Edit: Numbers and stuff

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 8, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Fasheem posted:

You got in. How did you get in? Or did you buy the pet bag? (I can't find any pvp bags to buy, even assuming I could afford them.)

I qued up immediately after a server reset. Not sure how it happens, but after awhile the que for fusang stops working and no one can get in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Marx posted:

So far I've spent issue 7 murdering children.

I spent Issue 7 in a missile firing snow mobile mount mission, lighting things on fire with the flame thrower, and watching Lilith get kicked into Tokyo by Emma who just wanted her teddy bear back.

• Locked thread