Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hurray for horse masks. And finally, no more chaos/blade build suggestions :woop:

May I suggest the following sites for the "useful links" section:

Theorycraft your own deck (ability descriptions may be outdated)
http://www.badomens.net/calculator
http://www.drakkashi.com/secretworld/wheel.php
http://thesecretsandbox.com/Deck/

Glyph/gear calculators (for endgame purposes)
http://joakibj.com/tswcalc/
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=57674 (standalone gear planner)

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think the consensus on the Mumble info was that it's no big deal (and you can actually find it on public Enjin sites anyway) and might actually lead to more people joining it. It's not like we have to be afraid of a mass invasion of pubbies telling us what terrible people we are like in certain other games.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Conduit for Sale! posted:

How long is this trial?
72 hours: X6ZYGXC5UXK2FAJ6Q27N

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gerbil2309 posted:

Is there a consensus on the use of Assault Rifles as a DPS option? I'm not terribly far in - just made it to Egypt - but I've been largely playing with an AR/Blood Leech build for soloing up to this point and healed dungeons. On the rare occasion that I have run dungeons as DPS, it really hasn't been pretty. I'm now moving towards putting together something similar to what is discussed here, but I thought I should check in and see whether I'm barking up the wrong tree before I get too far invested.
What were your problems in dungeons? And what build were you using for assault rifle DPS? You can use it with basically everything (especially in below-nightmares content) so if you want to make an AR-blood build go ahead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There aren't, but it's not like those points are wasted - you just could have reached QL10 faster or branched out to different weapons earlier.

FrancoFish posted:

That won't really hold up once you hit transylvania, if it's anything like it was on release. You pretty much need to have some kind of survivability based deck to stand a chance. That place was a huge meatgate for alot of people around release time.
I don't know, I soloed everything but The Girl who kicked the Vampire's Nest and Last Dance of the Padurii in blues with a DPS build. The only things I adjusted were wearing a HP talisman and switching out some passives for specific nightmare areas (any self-healing for Ripples, Close Quarters for the hell soldiers in Shadowy Forest, Magnum or 12 Gouge for the spectres, Bloodsport for the cryo vampires in Carpathian Fangs). Even for emergencies I prefer to use QL3 leech potions instead of survivability skills.

Hinder/impair won't help as a general guideline though because vampires are debuff-resistant and nightmare mobs are outright immune, except a few which specifically want to be stunned/slowed to deal with their nightmare effects.

midnightclimax posted:

I'm in Egypt now, guess what I have been doing the whole time. :suicide: Ah well, time to go full glass cannon I guess.
Don't worry, you're not going to be noticeably more squishy, because those healing or survivability tracks don't make that much of a difference (the tank ones seem nice until you realize you probably shouldn't be soloing in tank gear so they will hardly ever proc).

Personally I always focused on my main weapons' damage tracks, but added one point in each track early to get the secondary effect (possible exceptions: pistol drone and shotgun turret skills). I think the only weapon where putting points into the secondary effect first/only is actually useful is elemental. The support skill gives a damage buff if manifestations hit (and you eventually want to use manifestations), the damage skill procs additional damage on nearby mobs, adding to AoE damage - and possibly pulling neutral mobs nearby.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

50 Foot Ant posted:

Glyphs
[...]
You can only put in defensive or offensive runes, BUT you can put two different types of runes in to get two different bonuses.
Actually that's not true, although I see every crafting guide out there perpetuating that statement so it probably was true at some point. You can't find them as drops or on randomly generated gear, but you can make hybrid offensive/defensive glyphs even though not all combinations are equally useful.

The chart lists all rune combinations and their glyph prefixes. Healers or DPS don't care about defensive stats in PvE but someone might use hybrid glyphs for PvP. Tanks on the other hand do care about hit and possibly pen so you could make hybrid glyphs with those and block or defense, eg.

Also for someone new who makes their own glyphs: You probably shouldn't make QL10 green ones, they take the same pure materials as QL10 blues/purples which consist of 5 sacred materials each, the highest material quality you get from drops and disassembled gear. Blue QL10 glyph toolkits will be plentiful in elites so don't waste your materials on QL10 greens if you can help it.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 4, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You definitely can, I made one two days ago to test just that (I already knew you could make them with other kits as I've done that before) when someone in Mumble claimed you couldn't.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Make one, Cheston. Every database or wiki for this game appears to have been abandoned within a few weeks after launch :(

Also re: the vikings/Solomon Island plot:
The draug are the filth-mutated vikings right? Stuck in the Red Sargasso Sea on the way home after helping the Wabanaki, they mutate and follow The Lady Margaret's fishermen after they take the viking's artifact, Excalibur, back to Kingsmouth. That's how the varangian, the guy wielding the sword in the last encounter in Darkness War, turns into the brutish abomination you fight in Polaris.

More on Egypt:
Your intro mission is about tracking some shady artifact smuggling to Egypt where you find the local noble warriors who are in a civil war against cultists who want to bring Akhenaten and his sun worship - atenism - back which would end the world or something.

In Scorched Desert you infiltrate the cultists briefly to find out they're working with the Phoenicians, who are themselves working with The Kingdom, undead Egyptian merchant princes. Or, were - the Kingdom got the Phoenicians the device that unleashed the filth in Tokyo, and now they feel kind of bad about it. With the help of one of these merchant princes and two Oxford researchers you retrieve some ancient artifact and find the entrance to the previously hidden City of the Sun God. Which is where you help the guardian restore the "song" of his children that keeps Akhenathen trapped in his black pyramid, go to this pyramid and vanquish Akhenaten - and then Orochi guys hit you on the head and take whatever artifact you were about to retrieve away.

After being knocked out the 2nd time, you end up in this dreaming prison again. Then, having identified Orochi as a problem, you follow their research programs to Transylvania.

The issue 6 mission chain "Last Train to Cairo" ties up some loose ends of the Egypt plot, the issue 5 chain "Vanishing of Tyler Freeborn" has more on the Solomon Island events including some very depressing revelations.

Sjonkel posted:

It's nice to hear that any build can work. I'll likely never raid in this game, but if I want to be able to (later on) heal dungeons/instances, can I just take any of skills with some kind of healing paired with anything else, and I'm good? Or should both skills be healing related some way? Like pistol/elemental? Or would I need something like pistol/ar or pistol/blood?
You will need a main healing weapon to heal. Unfortunately pistol is no main healing weapon, it has cleanses and some healing support abilities like drones and buffs, but no proper heals you can spam. You can get by with one healing weapon, and use your secondary for utility. If you want to heal and deal damage, your only option is using an assault rifle leeching build because blood and fist healing rely on more heal rating so you won't have any DPS stats left over anyway.

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 4, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tanks as mini DPS with hammers, I think. They still use Clearing the Path though, +40% penetrate chance is still a lot.

It's not tanking with Cold Blooded, that's for sure. Or is it, Rasheed?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's not really crazy. Once you start collecting AP like mad (starting in Egypt, roughly) you want to pick up certain passives which are scattered all over the ability wheel. There's no need to focus on a set of weapons, except maybe on Solomon Island when you really don't have the AP/SP yet to branch out.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You'll also max out the weapon skills far sooner than the ability wheel. It's still a good idea to mostly focus on a set of weapon because that allows you to do higher level content sooner (and get more AP/SP for new weapons faster than starting at weapon level 1 in Kingsmouth). But that doesn't mean you can't get one or two weapons up to your "main" QL, it's only a temporary setback and you always keep your talisman skills anyway.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Other than pubbies exchanging terrible ideas on the TSW forums and some outdated info, I can't find any actual signet "guides" for all roles and their most common builds. Does such a thing exist or do I have to research and write one myself?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks Cheston.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Are the purple head signets you get in Egypt from the credit vendor any good?

I think some healers like the "healing" one, tank and DPS probably have better options.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fenrisulfr posted:

Howdy, I just picked this up and have been playing for a few hours. I'm trying a leeching AR/Blood build, which has been okay so far, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong or if I should be having as much trouble as I am. I've done about 2 dozen missions, filled out one of the AR tracks and about 2/3 of the other, with a few points in the Blood tracks and I've got both my weapons and Major and Minor talisman skills to 2, Head is still at 1. My gear is all QL1 stuff from mob drops and quests, maybe a QL2 talisman or two, I don't remember. Nothing outstanding anyway.

I was doing okay but now I'm getting missions that are sending me against the draugr and other mobs with 1500-2500 hp, and unless I'm really careful I'm getting slaughtered. My 50 damage or so with Anima Shot isn't keeping up with the incoming damage and my 37-point Blood Barrier doesn't really help either. I can manage fine one-on-one, but if I ever pull two it gets hairy and three is pretty much a death sentence. Is this normal for where I am in the game, and what can I do to improve? Also, what are some ways of getting decent gear early on? I read that graveyard mission gets you a QL2 weapon at the end of it, but the sniper guy destroys me in seconds, so that hasn't really been an option yet.
That sniper guy can't snipe you if you run up to him (on the other hand the cannonball will suicide-bomb you in melee range). Regarding your setup, healing builds aren't that efficient solo. You either don't have the heal rating from gear to heal for a lot (as you noticed), and if you get more heal rating you do less damage and just take more for the longer time it takes you to kill things, increasing the chance that something else aggroes on you.

Anima shot as a backup heal is fine though, but don't overdo it with healing abilities for solo work. Also make sure to always pick up the higher attack rating pieces first, before filling your gear for other roles. Green gear has enough HP on attack pieces so you shouldn't need HP-heavy tank gear for soloing. And try to get into Polaris (or join awful chat so some goon can run you through, refer to the OP) which will give nice upgrades as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Americans' afternoons and evenings are usually when I see the most people (that is relative, it's never more than 5-10). Some people don't always log into Mumble and just use awful chat (and vice versa) so if you're looking for people you kinda have to check both. Oh and blood/blade can work, although the specifics of a build can hold any combination back.

That mission is a pain, although it's possible to outrun/avoid most patrols. The puking guys were by far the most annoying to me, some are sitting near the filth wells you have to close and they seem to have ridiculous respawn times. Keep in mind that mission difficulty works off your spent SP so if you have eg. QL4 skills and QL1-2 gear for this QL2/3 mission it will say "normal" even though with that gear it's not.

As for "large groups of guys", they're usually AoE packs (three smaller dots instead of one) or two linked single-dot mobs with half HP. Big groups of normal HP, single dot enemies rarely aggro all together or if they do you really aren't supposed to fight them alone (sabotage- or group missions, overpulling things in proximity).

Although they don't help if you're massively overpulling, bring potions. I know they're not exactly abundant in Kingsmouth yet, but ask in our chat or Mumble, or make your own. Leech potions get really good with AoE packs and when your damage goes up. HoT/heal potions are also quite good in a pinch and work better if your DPS is low or you're not attacking. I'm no fan of barrier potions for soloing because they don't actually heal you, and they don't work against bleeds.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 10, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dreadwroth posted:

EDIT: drat why does this happen to me all the time.
Man I am not looking forward to the second bit of that, Egypt is hard enough as it is without a bloody maze too. Actually I think they could stand to thin out the number of mobs by a little bit, the Secret World is really crowded. Im suprised there are any normal people left alive what with all the wendigos, ghouls, alien bugs, and vampires every where.
I'm actually agreeing with the last statement in general although it's not really that bad in TSW. I guess players complain about boring barren worlds if you don't fill every square meter with something to kill.

I disliked city of the sun god for similiar reasons though, sometimes you have to run miles to get anywhere and the whole zone is just depressing IMO. Some areas are full of annoying mobs who always put some DoT on you, turning off sprint after a tick or two, or delaying tacos after every fight. And the missions didn't impress me either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that paints Kingsmouth/Solomon Island as some kind of Tortage just in TSW, and that's not really accurate. Sure, the investigations are frontloaded and later zones have more "kill stuff" missions, especially in Transylvania. So one could make the point that they did indeed run out of steam (and time/money) towards the end. Still, beyond that the regions are indeed disjointed to some extent and that has to be on purpose. The themes connecting the zones are the filth, Orochi and the old gods or whatever they are, but the actual zones then focus on the local effects of these themes in different ways and that's good because that way whatever legend never gets stale.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to have more actual towns, like Kingsmouth. Al-Merayah is my favourite area in the game, you have a wide variety of missions in and around the town. That's also why I'm not a big fan of Transylvania - there's never really a town, it's just like one or two houses or a romany "trailer park", and some quite old ruins which make the whole thing feel like some regular fantasy MMO at times, always in some woods or monastery ruins or graveyards fighting weird creatures and ghosts. At least Carpathian Fangs has the Red Hand installations, but those mostly shine in their dungeon variants (Facility mostly, I love that place).

Maybe Tokyo will be the "town" zone I'm missing, though.

Edit: I also don't understand why they didn't flesh out the starting cities more (well other than not having the time and money for it, obviously) and even after launch concentrated most services in London. NY and especially Seoul are quite pointless.

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 10, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're all about that chaos theory. Their mission debriefings are hilarious (in a disturbing way, I think they're pretty much the worst guys that are not Orochi out there...) but all the briefing cutscenes in Seoul are basically :words:

No more blowjobs though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have they ever determined what kind of hub the other cities are? Lore jumping puzzle hub and raid hub?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just wish I could keep that roman garb as permanent clothing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man Raiser, even I figured that out :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fewd posted:

What's the point though? Only thing it accomplishes is creating extra re-registering/inviting nonsense to the goons who visit this game every few years (like me). Or they'll just skip getting into any guild at all, in which case the guild has even less playing people than it would without kicking inactives.

:confused:

I'm probably gonna sub for a month or two some time later this summer or fall.
On the other hand there's nothing really in the cabal that someone who only shows up that rarely needs from the cabals for which Mumble or the chat channel wouldn't be better. Someone who needs gear or dungeon runs has to hit up goons in these channels anyway because we're already scattered across three cabals and chances are those who are on aren't in your faction.

TSW doesn't have cabal member limits so there's no real need to get rid of inactives, except for those in officer positions (especially rank 5s of which a cabal can only have what, 3? - and if you can't kick them you basically have to remake the cabal, thanks Drinkfist) but at the same time there's also no real use to having hundreds of people who never play this game again.

Maybe that all will change when they revamp the cabal stuff, but that's far in the future. Funcom is still catching up with new devs, after the old one who did the cabal UI and systems left the company.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 11, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess it's time to finally drag my alts through nightmares.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pervert!

Are we getting new stuff to spend our points on today? I got the grandmaster pack yesterday and have quite a few points atm.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I didn't know lifetime subs come with another character slot. You know that's right: Another signet mission alt :whatup:

DanimalJenkins posted:

Tonight after I get back from taking my car to the shop, I'm going to try and take down the Gatekeeper. I tried twice last night, his third initial attack nicked me both times. I was ALMOST out of the circle before it popped. Oh well. This is going to be expensive.
What RevDr said, there's no durability hit if you die to the gatekeeper. He also wrote a good guide on Enjin. Read that and ask if you need further hints on how to cheese the fights.

orcane fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 12, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I used to teach pubbies how to do NKL-107, I think I can help goons get through slaughterhouse elite :D

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rasmussen posted:

I've been logging on this weekend to get my boots and potions because I haven't had time to play. Will the potions vanish from my bags at the end of the weekend?
The ones you claimed stay.

Sadly, I'm a clown and forgot to claim all four of them. I remembered when I logged off yesterday and couldn't be arsed to load London again (playing FF14 beta for a bit made TSW's loading times even more obviously terrible). Those pots are gone now. At least I got free boots, but this special weekend was a complete bust in my opinion. The special stuff was lame and they couldn't even be arsed to leave you the "rewards" if you didn't hit claim often enough :(

E: Also I'd like it if this game could stop getting me stuck on ladders.

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 17, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
We have cabals for all factions but the thing is they're pretty much useless in this game. All you get out of that is a faction bank and cabal chat nobody uses. Chances are the few people who are on outside of US primetime aren't in the same cabal. Which is why all the action happens on Mumble or in awful chat.

Maybe one day they implement cross-faction cabals, fix the cabal roles (as in make them customizable) and make cabals worth a drat.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Maed posted:

Could someone give me a trial key? I'd like to try this out while I'm still unemployed and have so much free time.
LHSX3PVL9UWYYJN8LHT6

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
New tube bra + several coats = invisible torso/arms :haw:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HughGRect posted:

Because if goons do not make the wiki, then another goon can not sweep in and make stupid T-shirts with the wiki's logo to sell to the community.
Are you suggesting we recruit Badr back?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's mostly preference. You get a different intro/handler and two faction-specific missions between the regions, and text debriefings when you turn in missions are faction-specific as well. Pick who you thematically like more (dragon = chaos theory stuff, illuminati = moneyhats and Kirsten Geary, templars = classy old farts sitting on artifacts and books), or based on the faction uniforms/deck outfits:

Dragon: http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/category/factions/dragon/
Illuminati: http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/category/factions/illuminati/
Templar: http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/category/factions/templar/

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
E: Templar outfits and Virgula Divina do, yes :colbert:

The deck outfits are just rewards for buying the abilities contained in the premade deck, if you hit the "claim reward" button they go into your dressing room, usually in the form of uniform outfits or uniform + something like hats or glasses. You can wear any clothes with any abilities.

The main reason to go for the deck abilities is to unlock clothes, not to use the actual deck because unfortunately the premade decks are ranging from average to bad, you're almost always better off with a custom build. They sometimes show you working combinations for a build, like specific attack -> proc weaken -> proc damage or buffs if you hit weakened targets. However, while that works and may have been intended to be used, the flat damage procs aren't that good and in min-max terms stacking percentage buffs is far more beneficial after a while. At lower gear/skill levels you can use them to get free damage that may still outscale 10% more damage on top of "not a lot".

orcane fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 19, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Cleanup and AR DPS as well as leech healing need to be nerfed hard on grounds of basic game balance but we all know if they ever do that they won't actually change the design that mandated both CU and AR dominance in the first place, which will just make everyone miserable and content needlessly annoying.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Except for Hugh, that is.

Also all the servers are in the US and other than PvP (which is supposed to balance faction imbalances by merging servers into battlegroups for the PvP zones - it's not always working though) it doesn't matter what server you're on. There is no open PvP ie. no PvP servers as such.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In terms of design theory, nerfing the one that stands out is usually the safer bet than buffing the 80% that are not working as well, even though technically it achieves the same thing and is more fun to players. Fact is, rebalancing the vast majority of useless or underpowered abilities is a huge task and if rebalancing one weapon downwards is too much for Funcom, rebalancing five or six times as many abilities upwards is even less realistic. That's basically the only reason I'm against messing with AR and also Cleanup, but I realize "they probably can't do it" is not really a good reason to keep the status quo.

Leech healing is similar. I know people love it and I totally understand why but there's a reason games with holy trinities don't give healers the tools to massively contribute in damage and healing at the same time. That fist still has a niche doesn't really change anything, not adding what, half a damage dealer's DPS and 100% healing is clearly sub-optimal in the content where it matters.

Basically why I'm saying they need a nerf is because AR combines mechanics and performance in one package that beats everything else in most situations. If performance was nerfed to be in line with other DPS and healing options, players who like the mechanics can still pick AR. I'm not saying nerf it to the ground to stop it being used, but in a balance utopia it should be equally viable and no longer be the default once you filled specific buff and niche healing requirements.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'd like that to be useful as well. You can kinda make it work but a bloodline healing build is basically a worse AR healer - you need targets, you do a little DPS, you actually use an AR quite a lot and the blood barriers are in a secondary role. Although it's interesting to play, actually.

Fewd posted:

I don't really understand why AR dps would need nerfing either. Nor cleanup for that matter. :confused:

I've tried ar a few times and just ended up going back to sg/ele for ranged dps every time, except for some rare encounters like Machine Tyrant that needs the extra range. The other ranged dps trees also get some indirect dps from party skills like breaching shot, fuse and that pistol crit buff, which makes them all the more appealing.
All other cleanses are personal skills or have a small range or radius and affect limited people. CU does it group-wide, no LoS required, without significant range restrictions, and it purges to boot. The only skill that comes remotely close is win-win. CU is necessary due to how Funcom designed some stuff like Machine Tyrant and the only reason why no one is seriously calling for a nerf to CU is because Funcom doesn't seem to understand their own encounters or why people bring the abilities they do. A nerf would undoubtedly end in a massive clusterfuck but technically a nerf would be justified.

Regarding the other ranged weapons, yeah they're also good, and I'm not saying AR DPS needs a huge nerf, just small adjustments. But you do get more out of this weapon than other ranged ones in general. At a lower gear level the burst abilities on AR mean better chances to proc something (which is in itself completely dumb, the game should work with a ppm system, not proc-per-attack for stacking buffs and proc-per-hit for other things), you get to use Ferocity that's otherwise restricted to melee, and you're still free to bring a secondary weapon for buffs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cheston posted:

Because they don't want healing to be incredibly fun?

I'd take "they probably can't do it" as a very good reason to keep the status quo, but we'll see how it goes. The signet rebalance looks like it'll improve quite a few of the "worthless" ones, and the Burst nerf looks mild enough to be reasonable.
Actually, because one "class" that is mini-DPS and a full healer and another that can only heal really well requires niches for the pure healers or their preferred gameplay becomes non-viable in challenging content.

Historically, better balanced MMOs made DPS-style healing a non-competitive solo option or kept DPS mechanics but with low actual damage so healers weren't brought for their DPS. People who prefer pure healing exist even in TSW but you could alienate them by design and just make all healing options mini-DPS.

And yeah what I meant with "not a good reason" is that devs shouldn't ignore bad parts because they could do even worse. If they are actually bad or incapable of rebalancing the game without wrecking everything, I take the status quo too.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 20, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

If they nerf Cleanup (again) and don't make anything else better probably everyone will just stop running Hell Raised, or at least the last boss of it. Including me. I have most of what I'd want to buy with bullion, I don't need that kind of headache.
Other than outright changing Lifeburn because it's a dumb mechanic that doesn't do anything interesting at all (so they won't change it...), I think it would also be reasonable to have a nerfed CU if personal alternatives were actually good. There already are passives which cleanse you, but they do so if you hinder (nope) or finish focus attacks. Obviously there's no use bringing the latter for a pistol or blood user right now because everyone else needs CU anyway.

The game is in dire need of a bit of a redistribution of certain effects in general. Purging is mostly concentrated on elementalism but you can purge with magnetic variance (although it's not terribly reliable) with everything. Exposed is on all tank weapons now. I guess that's a start but other critical effects like cleanses and the major hit buff are restricted to very few (usable) abilities, it's stupid.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You could give that function to the anima "well" so people have to clear their stacks before MT is dragged over it and cleaves everything (or wait for the next one to spawn). At least it would be hilarious to watch but people would probably rather bring CU than that :haw:

Reverend Dr posted:

While this is true, the other 80% of the cleanses are just garbage; it isn't just that CU is so much better than the rest, CU is the largely the only usable one compared to all of the rest. [...]
Yeah I agree with that completely, my 80% comment there was aimed at "keep AR, buff everything else back up". Group-wide debuffs call for group-wide cleanses or spammable, easy to use personal/target cleanses eg. as passives. Right now you'd have to bring a full group of pistol users wasting a slot on a cleansing builder/consumer, or have everyone use focus attacks and the corresponding passive, it's terrible game design. A targeted builder could work since you could put it on a healer or one DPS, but currently cleanses are just crap.

That aggro oddity with shields would explain a few aggro mishaps I've experienced in elites recently.

orcane fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 20, 2013

• Locked thread