Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Issue #7 was cool as poo poo. Maybe my favorite so far and I've liked them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah me too.

Also jesus Dorito, good job with the Lore Library.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

I liked the DLC quite a bit. I would have liked it more if it didn't gently caress up its own twist.

"Grown fond of the spy girl, did you?" Actually, no. She was an annoying, shady, untrustworthy, incompetent excuse for a 'femme fatale' sidekick that did precisely jack poo poo to make me like her, who I wanted to punch and/or shoot in the face on no less than four separate occasions as a conservative estimate.

It is a Bond satire. You are supposed to see it coming.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yesssssssss thanks to Mumble crew I got right into a Fusang with a boss at 6 million and dropping fast, and got my last Shem in short order. Now I have all the golems and the three cosmetic items, and I can ignore the event for the rest of its duration. Thanks everyone!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If it stays as easy as it was to get in for me I might make a couple more bag runs for goons.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
One tip from Hugh I found useful if people are being dicks about the Fusang lore: throw on as much HP gear as you have (I had a comical 15k HP, even I was surprised) and slot the two Chaos Evade abilities (Illusion and Smoke and Mirrors). Charge straight to the lore, and activate your Evade buffs right before you start trying to get the lore. With a bit of luck the HP will keep you alive on the way in and out, and the Evade buffs will let you get the lore without being interrupted by people shooting you. I was able to get it the first time I tried it that way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

People think I'm joking, but the devs really do ... dislike Illuminati.

Good. So do I.

I know plenty of Illuminati I like just fine, but all the dicks seem to pick Illuminati.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Archonex posted:

About the only faction that gets off on that point is the Templars. Mostly by virtue of the fact that they don't give as much of a poo poo about absolute control of the world. They're more concerned with making sure that it doesn't end the week after tomorrow due to the cock-ups of the other two factions and whatever nasties are kicking around at the moment.

Don't kid yourself. The Templar are themselves authoritarian control freaks.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thegodofchuck posted:

Man, the self-appointed do-gooders in /anniversity got HALOS. And they look COOL.

That's certainly not going to make them more self-righteous.

http://sephorassecretcloset.wordpress.com/2013/07/13/resplendent-halo/

They actually glow in game, looks much cooler than that screenshot.

I've seen a few people complain about the people running it but I think they were great and deserve the reward. People cluttering up the channel with nonsense did need to shut the gently caress up so it could actually be used.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It is pretty neat that Funcom decided to make an unannounced reward for the people doing the helping, totally independent of what you thought of them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

I called out a few golems during the event. But I probably won't have anything to show from it.

I did too but I did nowhere near as much work as the main organizers. I have no complaints.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

WarLocke posted:

the discussion previously in this thread that paints the Templars in a pretty bad authoritarian light

Don't let me mislead you -- we're all sons of bitches.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lima posted:

I've been on the fence for the longest time on this game (because Funcompetence), but I caved in when it came on sale. Not dissappointed so far!

I got 10 silver badge-wotsits on the ingame store, but I can't find any info where they're from or what I should do with them. I did notice a QL9 AR that costs exactly 10. Good purchase when I can use it?

No.

Those are Veteran Points, they are awarded for every month that you're a subscriber (so you have some because you get a free subscription month when you buy the game), including lifetimers. (Note that a sub isn't needed to play, it just brings other benefits of varying worth like Veteran Points.)

There is very nearly nothing worth buying with Veteran Points, so the variance in this case isn't great. There's a sombrero, but it's badly made and not worth buying. There's a "Reconstructor," which repairs your gear and everyone else's in your group with an hour cooldown, so you don't have to go find a vendor to do it, but you still have to pay for the repairs. There are a few other kind-of-useful things and a bunch of dogshit. Most of us buy nothing, because as worthless as Veteran Points are, they might conceivably purchase cool things later and there's no way to get more if you use yours up except to subscribe and wait.

Definitely don't waste them on gear. You can get better gear without even trying when you're the right level to use it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Breakdown is the one that applies Exposed, right? Is that really useful for solo play? I would have thought things would die before you could get it fully stacked.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yes, every character can unlock every weapon and ability. It does take a lot of AP but special events like the Anniversary one help a lot, and quests start awarding way more XP (and therefore SP and AP) the further in you get. Many of us old-timers have the full wheel unlocked and only stop sitting on fully capped SP and AP for a little while when a new aux weapon comes out. When you get the full wheel unlocked you get an outfit reward (Panoptic Core, AKA Tron Suit).

EDIT: Mob nameplates have a lot of information including their strength relative to you. There are three things to look at:

1. Enemy DOT color

The color of the dot -- NOT the name -- tells you a mob's strength relative to you:

Blue - Pushover.

White - Normal. You can probably take 1-2 of these at a time without a problem.

Yellow - A bit tougher. You can kill it, but it might be a bit more difficult, especially if your build is bad or it gets the drop on you. 2+ of these might kill you.

Red - Significantly tougher than you. Avoid solo.

Orange - This mob is part of a quest. The color alone will not tell you much about its relative strength, although they are usually dangerous-but-doable if the quest is appropriate for your level of equipment.

2. Enemy dot type

Single dot - standalone mob. Think of this as 1 enemy.

Three dots in a triangle - a group of weaker enemies. Think of this as 1 enemy. Aggroing one will aggro the whole group.

Skull - Dangerous monster.

Crown - Rare or group mob.

Skull with crow - Dangerous rare or group mob.

Flag - Mob is part of a quest.

I'm a little fuzzy on the skull/crown/skullcrown stuff but I think that's right.

Skull with * - Named rarespawn. Killing this MIGHT net you an achievement -- more on that in a moment. Killing all of them in the game will get a clothing reward. Catch: these rarespawns are on respawn timers. They will spawn sometime after being killed, usually 15-30 minutes (not quite always, I think), but it isn't always the right one -- sometimes a "placeholder" will spawn instead. This placeholder will be pretty much the same, but it will have a different (also unique) name, and will not award the achievement. These can be infuriating when trying to locate the "real" one. If you want the achievement and only the placeholder is up, you'll need to kill the placeholder and wait for the respawn, and hope the placeholder doesn't just spawn again.

3. Enemy NAME color

Enemy name color has nothing whatsoever to do with its strength, only its aggro tendencies.

Green - This mob is friendly. It can't be attacked and won't attack you. Note that some quest mobs start out this way and turn hostile for storyline/quetsline reasons.

Yellow - Nonhostile. Won't attack first but will turn hostile if attacked.

Red - Hostile. Will attack if you get close enough, or you hit it first.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 19, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

OneEightHundred posted:

For the newcomers, here's your handy soloing cheat sheet:

- Buy some QL10 glyphs on the auction house and slap them on anything that takes glyphs. Stacking pen rating is particularly hilarious.

While I generally agree with your advice, I'm not sure this is worth doing given how fast you replace gear.

Actually, I don't recommend buying weapons on the AH either unless you just can't seem to find one. The game vomits gear at you.

quote:

- Every zone has a dungeon, find a group for the dungeon in the group finder if you're doing OK in the zone so you can get upgrades and the massive first-time-run XP payout.

You can also just advertise in /LookingForGroup.

Pilchenstein posted:

I am still loving terrible at it. Can I get anywhere in the late game with shotguns? I got as far as Beseiged Farmlands with shotgun/elemental, but beyond that I just get my poo poo caved in almost instantly. Even going back to Egypt to do the issue 6 missions is a loving slog at times. My build is all about strikes and crits, with weakness & defensive turret for damage reduction and inferno & hurly-burly for aoe.

The issue missions are generally meant for endgame QL10 people, even if they're set earlier. Don't feel bad if you have trouble with them, although many of them you aren't meant to have to fight through. (Like the first one you're supposed to use the bombs, the second one you're supposed to sneak.)

Your build is probably the biggest source of your problems, although you do probably give up too much damage with that much HP. Pop in Mumble and we'll see if we can't sort you out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

deichkind42 posted:

Been playing since a few days, I'm only putting points into Blood (Profane/Sacred) now, since i want that to be my primary focus and access the advanced 6 Blood fields.
(I understood this correctly, yes? I need to buy all the Sacred and Profane abilities to be able to use the later ones in Blood?)

Still in Kingsmouth and doing super fine with the Missions right now, but i'd like to know when i should start putting points into a second Field? And which one is recommended with Blood? Was thinking Blades, Elemental or Chaos, since they seem the most interesting to me. (I want to mostly solo the Story missions probably so it doesn't have to be perfect but I want to make sure I don't get stuck in some later Missions)

You do need to fill in both halves of a weapon's inner ring to reach the outer ring abilities, yes. But you should be putting a few points in a second weapon right off the bat. You are leaving damage on the table by not having a second consumer, because most builders build resources for both equipped weapons.

At endgame in Nightmares, Blood/Elemental is viable but very, very hard to play well; nothing else is, really. But when leveling the correct pairing is literally anything.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mango sentinel posted:

I wish I knew this like an hour ago.

So with the fact this game doesn't have levels, how bad is it if I change my mind and want to start down a completely different skill path from what I've been doing? Do I always gain AP at a static rate?

You can just buy a QL0 one for like 100 PXR from the Venice vendor near the police station in Kingsmouth. You haven't really got a problem.

Changing your mind is completely fine. The amount of XP required for 1 SP or 1 AP is static but the further into the game you go the more XP everything gives you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Don't get run through Polaris by goons, nor any other dungeon. If you want to be run through after the first time, fine, but the first time through you should go in blind with a group that's level-appropriate. It's way more fun that way, TSW dungeons are cool as poo poo and deserve to be experienced properly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You guys aren't on a Wednesday/Sunday schedule anymore?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

WarLocke posted:

I'm not sure if you need an optimized ability setup, but it's pretty hard if you're in QL1 gear. I was glnacing all over the bosses, and when we got to the rear end in a top hat that electrifies the water we ended up wiping. One dude got his purpled-out friend to come in and blaze us through it. At least I got a QL3 talisman and elemental focus out of it (plus QL3 shotgun from the mission turn in).

VVV: Wait, I thought people had hinted that Cassandra and Bauemont were just really, really old beelords? So now it's not that beelords are immortal (or at last unaging), but there are actual immortals separate from the PC's type?

You do not need to optimize your build for Polaris, but you will want to be in at least a mix of QL2-3 greens.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I agree with Thwoompa, I don't put signets or glyphs in poo poo unless it's custom gear. It's not worth it, you won't have it long enough.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The first post has a huge section labeled "New Players."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Pilchenstein posted:

Some of the ability names are ace, but none have tickled me as much as "Blood for the Blood Dog" in Darkness War. Simple things, eh? :v:

I love this one and also the Red Guard's attacks in Nightmare Facility -- wikis don't seem to have the names but I believe they're Hard Right and Extreme Left. Elite doesn't have the same ones.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
At the risk of asking a dumb question: are you a subscriber or grandmaster?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That is actually not true -- I've gotten stuck in terrain before and it's gotten me out. It's just permanent falling doesn't count, and that's what happens way more often.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We are going to need more information before making any judgments. If the issue + scenarios are more than the monthly GM/subscriber points, we are going to have a problem. We don't know one way or the other yet.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Hold the phone.

In issue 6, doesn't Saïd say that his reason for helping is that no one including his people are anxious to see "another Tokyo"? I think he even admits fault for Tokyo in the first place. That would seem to point to "Tokyo," as shorthand for the Tokyo disaster, as a past event.

Now, that event is clearly ongoing. Does the flashback have to be from the start of the event? Or could it still be in the future?

Semi-related issue 6 question: I vaguely recall that when you leave the past, a guy dressed like a native steals something from you. I don't remember what it was or if it was ever addressed. What was it, and are we still waiting for the other shoe to drop from it?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Wait, that's Saïd? The cutscene as you're reentering the time tomb? :aaa:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Chains are also garbage for anything but AOE, so you mostly won't be interested in them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Plague Dynasty posted:

So I'm about halfway through Solomon Island I'd assume, finished the Amusement Park and just about to finish the school and have the mission to go to Blue Mountain for the main story. Right now my build is looking like this and I'd appreciate any feedback. It seems to be working out half decently but I've wasted a ton of points (at least until I recuperate the AP/SP)

Actives: Suppressing Fire, Fire at Will, Both Barrels, Lock and Load, Breaching Shot, Turn the Tables, Slow the Advance
Passives: Eagle Eye, Immortal Spirit, Gnosis, Extra Clip, Sharp Shooter, Hit & Run, Probability

Its a real mishmash of AR/Shotgun/Blade and Chaos trees. I have the Chaos and Blade basic trees maxed out with the AR/Shotgun trees maxed out with some into the subsections, I was hoping to get Twist the Knife soon but I feel like I'm dumping points randomly. My Blades and Chaos are both at 6 and my AR/Shotgun is at 8 with my Talismans at 3 each because I don't really have a great one to wear besides a QL10 one called The Snake that is really good health/pen/crit with a free slot that I got by a group randomly letting me do the Elite Transylvania dungeon after I accidently queued for it.

I feel like my actual stats are pretty bad at the moment.

609 AR
73 Hit
89 Pen
Some crit and crit severity

Should I just grind out and go hard into the AR builds posted before or switch this up. I love the ability to kind of spec whatever but picking and choosing at what feels right to me doesn't seem to be working.

All of your stuff right now is AOE, which makes a certain amount of sense in the very beginning but should be falling off hard by now since you're going to be more concerned about single, bigger enemies than lots of trash zombies. So I'd suggest changing over to single target stuff, though for soloing it is handy to keep something like Suppressing Fire around for when you do hit packs or you over pull. Safety Off is still the go-to single-target AR builder, Three Round Burst still the go-to single target AR consumer. Out For A Kill is usually considered the best option for Shotgun single-target.

Twist the Knife is great and features in most DPS builds, so you're on the right track there. In general you aren't going to have the "optimal" passives unlocked for the most part, what you've got seems decent enough to start. You can toss out Immortal Spirit if you've got something better, the passive healing stuff falls off fast once you're out of Kingsmouth. If you're ditching Lock and Load then Extra Clip obviously becomes extraneous as well,

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Killsion posted:

As expected, certain vocal pubbies are raging hilariously about the grave injustice that is the monthly item is not super serious enough for them.

I hope next month is another horse mask. Not even a different color or anything, just the same one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mango sentinel posted:

They show up on the store but in a separate "bonus points" thing. But I just spent them so it was just kind of unintuitive.

Bonus points expire, "regular" Funcom points don't. That's the only difference.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I understand the frustration, but here are three notes on solo instances:

1. Funcom has noted that they weren't well-received and stopped making them.

2. You can sometimes get into allegedly solo instances with Meet Up.

3. The solo instances drop off dramatically after the early bits, and they aren't long. Many aren't even combat.

For now: this game shits gear on you, you should be able to build up a basic DPS set pretty quickly and it isn't really possible to get healing abilities without also picking up damage ones.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GEMorris posted:

I know we probably don't want to be steering people towards blood, but a lot of posts as of recent have forgotten (or chosen to ignore) that bloodline + finish the movement + bloodshot spam is a real thing.

That being said, don't go blood DPS because everyone will hate you for not having group buffs.

Blood DPS is also very hard to do well. It involves careful management of Blood Offering in addition to more nuanced resource management.

Finish The Movement/Bloodshot is not a new idea, Crowd did it a year ago very, very well. (I did it quite poorly.) It's just if you do a bad job of it, it will perform markedly below specs that are easier to play.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Jedit posted:

I'm still in need of some carrying. Got my QL10 Assault Rifle, but everything else is still around QL5.

There's not a good reason to overgear unless you're trying to break the game. If you're still in QL5s then you're probably, what, still in Solomon Island? Just do the dungeons as you get to them.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Someone else will get to this before I figure it out I imagine but everyone else, where the hell are the keys, I know I used to have some in my account and I know I haven't used them.

If no one does get back to you before, you can post or PM me your email and I can send you one that way.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

8LBN4QDDEFJ9PDFFQMAT

(You can find it under "Invite a Buddy!" at https://register.thesecretworld.com)

I was there, but it only has the form to enter an email now. Unless you just send one to a dummy account and copy/paste the code.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thehumandignity posted:

Okay? I don't understand what the purpose of this was.

To get Mayan Remains in bulk. You needed a shitload of Mayan K'in currency to buy stuff like the holiday clothes, and they didn't drop that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

thehumandignity posted:

The pistols are the primary means of attacking, same as my general purpose build. Really the only difference is the passives that keep me alive when soloing or in a small group are switched out for pure damage.

You can do whatever you want in normals and usually in elites but it will get you kicked from Nightmare groups. A lot of the mechanics put melee DPS in increased, unnecessary, and severe risk and also limit their DPS output because your contact time is reduced, and they haven't buffed melee accordingly because PvPers are whiny pricks. If you show up with melee weapons to DPS a Nightmare dungeon, you may very well be kicked outright before you start. If you aren't, and you get yourself killed by a melee range mechanic, you will hear about it.

• Locked thread