Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Painted another crow. Need to fiddle with this one some more (bring the body down more, clarify some of the body with more highlights) . Probably gonna go touch up all of them before I do the next one -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Gouache sketch of my cat.

Probably should have made the base lighter but i'm really getting the hang of it now I think?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
still messing around this with gouache thing a bunch

and some watercolors

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yer cactus is so happy :D I love it! Also the green mottling is really fantastic.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Kind of a minor thing but 1 year ago I was in serious treatment for my depression and I was just regaining the ability to feel and to really want to do things and I started a sketch book. I just hit sketch 100 in that book almost exactly 1 year after I started it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
hosed around with this watercolor for about an hour. From a photo I took at rialto beach a few year ago.

I hate water.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Thanks!

I've painted that a few times in different mediums over the last couple of years and its a good reminder that gettin good art is mostly just time put in. Im still not super happy with it so i'm gonna keep practicing because waves are just a pain and as much as I watch like eva wolf instragram vids on water my brain still just doesnt wanna do it right lol

One of these days i'll finish this. It's unfinished for about 2 years because the water stresses me out so hard. I also need to restart on the sky since I figured out cloud technique like halfway through that painting

However this was a water painting I did a few months back so I figured... its time to get back on this horse. I can fuckin do this. Lights and darks just like everything else. Middle ground it and work in and out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

deep dish peat moss posted:

Here's a work in progress album cover I'm making for a goon's album It's really smudgy right now though.

You can click it to view a giant 600 dpi scan

8"x10", various layers of gel pen, fineliner, marker, acrylic and gouache

Please do finish that it's hella rad!!

That neon pink is just right! Pops really well. Guessing that was gel pen?

Really enjoy the overall composition and keep staring to find more. Really love it!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Really clean print. It's hard to convey emotion through lino but I think you did it. Feels good to do straight up passion project stuff.

I just got a pan of samples for neon watercolors from hydra color and I'm very excited. Not sure what I'm doing with them yet but I'm excited!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Those are really cool. I feel like you could make a killing on etsy with those.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Messin around with my oil technique. Wet the oil a bit more than normal with more walnut oil. Not sure how I feel about it. Trying to reduce the number of layers i'm working. Still going to do a 2nd layer on the crow because I've got some cool oil iridescent blue that I want to layer on the wings. Also haven't decided what to do with the background.

The finch is ehhh a little muddy? I painted it in weird lighting but it was a fun study

Tried starting with black gesso and practiced some moss. Probably won't finish this particular one but hopefully something will happen in the future. I like the possibilities.

also been on the quest for the perfect palette that's the right size for me and also seals up so I can stop wasting as much paint due to drying. 8" square cake pan with a lid~

Dupersaurus - I am in love with your prints <3

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Fire actually is fairly low risk as long as you aren't stuffing a ton of rags into a tight ball in a closed bin. I mostly use blue automotive paper towels and just make sure I don't use alot and I distribute them in my trash. I used one rag for all that.

Fumes wise - honestly you don't need solvents. They're lazy. You can clean brushes with vegetable oil and dawn soap. I've got one very small container that's tightly sealed with odorless mineral spirits that I rarely use. It's only if I need to break up gunk on a brush. I open my window just because paint out of the tube has a bit of a smell but it's just linseed oil not solvent.

If you want to try oil, do it! But open acrylics can probably emulate most of why people like oils so it isn't a huge deal.

:3 those shell earrings are so neat

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Those are good! They've got a really creepy ethereal quality to them.

I never had any formal watercolor training. It's not something they even would cover in art school. The only stuff I ever learned outside my own experimentation was like "use salt to make little mottled dots" and eventually someone told me to use resist to keep areas bright white.

Anyway, Learning by doing and practicing is great!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've always felt really bad about wasting any paint. I always try to use everything but if for whatever reason I squeeze the tube a little too hard or whatever, I try to do something with the paint.
I also work for a company that does fast mockup CNC work so I pick up a ton of scrap wood. I usually grab a few little blocks and gesso it up and then when I have left over paint from a bigger project I end up practicing my values!

I really want to get back into doing portraits soon and this is my way of dipping my toes back in.

Zoben - holy loving poo poo that is awesome. Your detail is amazing.
Jackard - that's super cool - how did you end up getting into woodburning? Do you use an off the shelf kit?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Kinda depends what you want to do but babys first art tends to be "get a pencil/pen/crayons/whatever" and draw something you see. Got some oranges and apples? put em on the table and try to draw them.

but babies first art can also just be smearing colors onto paper/canvas until it feels pleasing to you.

Alot of artists have youtube channels or instagrams on how to do what they do so if there's a particular style you like or artist, find them on the interwebs and check out what they are doing.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sab669 posted:

https://drawabox.com/

I've always felt like I had an aptitude for art/drawing, but man I have such a hard time putting in the effort because I absolutely hate/am disappointed with everything I draw. So hard to stay motivated practicing.

I think this is like an artist universal. I did a whole fuckin oil painting last night and I currently want to chuck it in the garbage. But art is a very 10,000 hours thing. Given time and practice everyone gets better.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think this is finished. Still need to varnish but it was fun af to paint. I love moss.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Practicing oil portraiture and feeling angsty af. Shits so hard.

Working wet into wet is so loving hard. You have put the exact color down in the right spot otherwise it's all muddy so fast

Whats weird is poo poo will look OK to me while I'm in there laying it down and then I step back and it's this disproportionate mess. Landscapes are so much easier.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
That loving rules. I love burn art so much. Had a classmate in college who went pretty wild with it. She did it in painting class. Painting with flame.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Doing more portraits, havent given up on them. Stealing references from my friends instagrams of them doing goofy stuff :p

Feel like im seriously making good progress on skintones and not letting my brain do weird chin corrections.

https://i.imgur.com/NwdTqux.gifv

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm sorry if I wasn't explicit, I meant rags - but sounds like regular soap in a bucket should be fine.

I cut up old clothes, underwear, etc for rags and throw them away.

Another trick I use is to have a block of scrap wood to scrap all my excess to dry on. The rags are only for getting as much oil paint from the brushes as I can out before I wash them in the sink.

Also because most paint pigments are insanely toxic and bad and have heavy metals in them - always try to get as much out as possible before you try washing them in a sink. Oil likes oil so one trick I learned in painting classes was to use vegetable oil to leach away oils into the rags before I wash them in the sink.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bonus of using a scraping block. This is about 6 months worth of scrapings and it's like just a cool abstract now.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is this the place to post my acrylic paintings and ask for advice?

I'm trying to paint a dungeons and dragons map every week for my game, using reference maps which are in the pre made adventure book. I can post the reference image and my own work, I'm doing the third one now. I really do need some advice or guidance, I've never painted anything in my life and they're not coming out great. I'm being patient with myself, I plan to do one a week for probably the next year, but I'm sure I'll improve more with some feedback.

hell yeah. post the arts.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Trabant posted:

My first proof was better than my "actual" print :negative:

I don't think I like layer-on-layer printing either, I must not have let the black dry enough (although the first layer dried 2 weeks so who the hell knows). Oh well. I'll print it again eventually, I lie to myself.

Its really good but your red is too transparent. Maybe try sliding some black pigment or white pigment in there. I've tried the red I think you have there and had the same issues.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been in a wierd headspace for a few months. Finally took a photo that inspired me enough to paint.

Just a first layer. Need to refine the feet and the fry but dont wanna muddy it up too much.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 19, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zoben posted:

done now

Wow.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

WaterIsPoison posted:

Finished my first painting today. Oils using the Draw Mix Paint method, not sure if anyone has tried it before. I've never really done art before, so pretty surprised by the results I guess.

That's fantastic.

I looked at the summary of draw mix paint and honestly that just sounds like how we got taught in my art school / painting classes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sigma 6 posted:

Moar coasterzzzz...

Do these sell pretty well? Been thinking about different form factors to push my art to and waffling

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Finally out of my "startups are horrible and work was horrible" funk and made some gouache paintings to kind of "get going" again

Its pretty wild how long it can take for burn out from work to wear off and feel creative again. Felt real good tho.

Super vibing with that gold leaf cabin painting.

Broken pottery pieces are giving me massive "we had to destroy the artifacts" feelin

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sigma 6 posted:

Stage with my projections from this last weekend.

thats so fuckin rad.

I uh have been going whole hog polishing my skills back up. Did this today. felt ~ good ~ same reference from a gouache i posted up above but oils today.

One thing that I havent figured out with oils is how the gently caress to get the lighting right to take a straight on photo. Glossy fuckin paint just blow everything out in photos. At least with a single light. I do realize I could set up like 2-3 different lights but setting up a full photo studio set up for mid work snaps is a pain

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Booyah- posted:

This may be a stupid question and the answer is just "go to the local art supply store" but does anyone have good resources for getting quality drawing paper in index card size? I like keeping around 3 by 5 index cards for doodling but the typical ones are very cheap paper

Short of cutting larger paper with a scissors I can't think of a good cheap option

I buy a ton of decent watercolor paper in precut small sizes by buying postcard books. Strathmore has some great ones. You can order online from dickblick, Utrecht, amazon, etc.

The hardest part it learning what kind of paper you actually like - cold press, hot pressed, gsm, etc. But once you figure that out finding pads of it gets really easy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I used to work for a frame shop and you could buy single like 8-12-16ft lengths of any specific frame from our local supplier but the key is learning whatever that is in your local area. I'm like 15 years out from this but I think we used Jayeness in seattle.

One thing you might be able to do is call a local framing company and ask if you could buy frame moulding by the foot and piggy back on their order or just find out what their supplier is by browsing around and being nice and asking questions. I think we did that sort of thing at our spot every so often.

Searching for local millwork shops can help too. Just google maps and click around the industrial district of your area.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

HungryMedusa posted:

I have worked at places that give artists special discounts. Cultivating a relationship with a framer or two would be my advice. Most framers have at least a few sticks of moulding they would love to sell off.

Yep I forgot about this but we did this too and did tax exempt sales to people with a business license. I remember having to enter ITN codes in now.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been working more consistently lately so i've got a few things to share :3

Probably need 1 more small detail session on this one but its close - saw some cute lil duckies at a near by park

About to varnish this one - Crow from my back yard

This one I just got pretty close to tying up last night - need to futz with the dry grass some more but super happy with the crow itself.

Selling through my existing inventory and its really puffing me up.

Also started making time lapse videos on insta and TikTok - Probably gonna tie the time lapses into my listing on etsy.

Im definitely feeling continual improvement. There was a while where I felt like I was stagnating and im really happy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Crain posted:

This was really helpful. I went into old town here and found a independent framing shop (and rug store, and art gallery, and carpet cleaning service, 60% off everything, lol) and asked the old guy there about this.

I told him what I was up to (trying to frame 5 pieces to submit to an open call for submissions, my first one) and he was very excited for me, and said he loved my stuff. He took me to his basement full of random empty frames and molding and said to have at it and ignore the price stickers as he offered to do all 5 for $250 flat (matboard and glass included).

I don't even care if that's ultimately crazy profit on his part because that's the cost that Michael's and a couple other stores quoted for one 8x10 piece for boring as gently caress framing.

I put two aside that I really liked but couldn't decide on the rest so he said to come back with the other pieces and "we play around, like trying on suits". He did also say he could sell me some lengths of raw molding but honestly I don't have the space or tools to work with it in right now anyway.

That's so rad! And an incredible deal. In my experience local frame store folks really get into it for the love of being around art and interacting with artists and your experience reinforces mine :3

HungryMedusa posted:

These are really cool - you get a lot of great detail into small canvases!

Thank you! I figure working small is one of my better bets to keep selling things easily and idk a couple of years ago I got sucked in a blick sale and bought like 24 8x10 canvases and another 20 something 9x12s so I figure ill burn through them then work up through my 14x18s and 16x20s once I get my shipping game locked down.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Took a break from all the birds and decided to do some transportation and sunset. Little bigger here at 9x12. Also switched up to a thinner medium. The smell from liquin Impasto was just murdering my brain.

Also a variation from the same photoset and ferry. Just like 20 min earlier

Having fun getting better at waves. I used to hate doing things like boats but I'm really feeling goof about these. I actually found them quite exciting as they came together.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Hi thread. The art front has been pretty quiet for me this year, largely from feeling stuck. But in the last month, the dam very suddenly burst open

Prints

And workshopping a new vibe with some paint markers

Love em so much.

2nd one is my favorite. That gradient you got is baller.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Won some watercolor ground boards from ampersand. Weird and different to work with but I don't hate it.

Ill definitely gently caress with em more.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
A ton of really great work on this page!

Those painting and wine events seem like they'd be really fun just to tool around at.

Fussing around with gouache tonight and feel like im getting more confidence with it

Re: oil painting: Took me a long time to realize I can just scrape poo poo off or just let poo poo dry and regesso a canvas to start over. Yeah the paint is more expensive and it takes longer to dry but at the end of the day, its ok. Also if you aren't loving poo poo up sometimes you probably aren't challenging yourself and learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Changed up my process a little and started using a brighter under painting and galkyd. It's made for some neat vibes.

Also hosed up and didn't put enough dryer in my orange so some of my leaves are gonna be wet for like month lol.

Also painted a whole bunch of water color postcards for the holidays and sent them out to folks as reminders that I care.