Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

poemdexter posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for stores to get acrylic paints? I'm looking at some of the heavy body acrylics (Liquitex and Golden) since I'm tired of applying 4 coats of everything and they are obviously more expensive. I can always wait for Michaels to have a coupon here or there, but I'd rather not buy one tube at a time due to coupon or run out of something due to a larger canvas and have to pay an arm and a leg to finish a piece.

Paying up to 15 dollars for 2oz is gonna my bank account fast. :(

Jerry's Artarama and Dick Blick are my gotos for online art supplies, and their paints (liquitex, at least) are usually a few bucks off of store price. And price depends on the color, so you can cheap out on pigment. But don't think you'll be one-coat-and-done, you'll still need a few for solid coats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Franchescanado posted:

Have you been using any matte mediums or pastes or anything for any of the coats? Liquitex's Matte Medium or Ultra Matte help me out, and the glazing medium is good if you want it to be brighter and have a light shine.

*takes notes*

For content, I submitted for baby's first art fair and had to put together a prototype booth. It was neat to see all the work from across the years all hanging together

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

What's the year range for these?

All of the hanging paintings are within the last two months. Most of the prints are about a year old, though the square one is more like four.

poemdexter posted:

Thanks people! I just pulled the trigger on some heavy body paints and matte medium. To contribute, here's a painting I finished last night. You can see where I tried to apply 10 coats of cad red light hue with a touch of black as the shadow and it's still blotchy. Also two smudges that I fixed after I took the pic...

I had your stuff in mind but I couldn’t remember if it was you or another gamedev threader

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Monochromatic birds (minus the beaks).

Also, I got my heavy body acrylics and matte medium in yesterday and started reworking an old painting. My life has just become 100x easier now that I can paint instead of reapplying the same color over and over. Thanks again for all the help.

New question: Anyone have experience getting their paintings into prints? All my friends and family are dying for a print of the birds. I'm reading about scanners and taking nice pictures outdoors with grayscale cards and touching up in photoshop and all that. It's pretty overwhelming and I'm not even sure where to go after that. I'd rather people have the option to get prints on demand instead of me ending up with 200 prints in a closet or something crazy.

There are sites like Society6 that do print-on-demand like that. Unless it can fit on a scanner, find yourself a friend with a ~24MP camera and some good glass and you can do prints up to 13x20 or so. Take pics outside on a cloudy day or in the shade on a sunny day, tweak in photoshop as needed.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

HungryMedusa posted:

What kind of art fair did you enter? Was it juried? I have been doing (mostly outdoor) fairs for about 5 years, so let me know if you have questions.

A local juried outdoor fair. Waiting to hear if they'll have me, but if they do I'll probably have some logistics questions, thanks

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Back at the bench after a little soul searching break. Trying out some new (to me) Japanese papers, too.

Still new to woodblocks, do I need to seal the wood first? I feel like I'm losing a good amount of ink to the grain.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Fantastic blocks! I never sealed mine and we were never instructed to in print class. Then again, you don't think about that when your class is providing all the materials either.

Tru dat

I applied a coat of clear acrylic gesso to this to see if it helped. It did not. But there's no shortage of suggestions on the web to try out.

It occurred to me I haven't really ever done shading in prints, so it's been a fun challenge. Despite that, though, it's been a return to the basics, which has helped shake off some of the anxiety I've had over My Style

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The highlight on the shadowed cheek might work better if I used it elsewhere

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it. But it’s the first time I’ve really done a landscape, though, and I’m generally happy with all the textures.

That bit of hatching on the left was ill-advised. A little torn about the clouds but don’t know what I’d do with them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Handen posted:

Whenever I see someone doing single colour woodblock prints I have to ask, have you heard of our lord and saviour: reduction prints? Why rely on lines when you could use COLOURS!? :q:

Serious question: How many different cutting knives do you have at your disposal, and what kind? I'm seeing evidence of two sharp V or deep U gouges? With a shallow U gouge or two you could do some neat stuff with pointillist style dapple-work where linework and crosshatching might a.) not turn out as well as you might imagine on paper and b.) become difficult to manage from a mechanical standpoint as you start ripping chunks out of the wood both parallel and perpendicular to the grain.

As far as sealing goes, I've been using matte clear Minwax polycrylic varnish to seal my drawings to lino and it works great, granted your use for something like that and mine aren't exactly the same. My only other thought would be to make sure you're using the appropriate wood for the job.

Edit: Also if you haven't already, follow the #woodblockprint #woodcutprint #linocut and #reductionprint hashtags on instagram for ideas on how other people tackle the problems you might not know how to ask. The day I followed #reductionprint is the day I got hooked.

I've had my eye on reduction printing for awhile now, but my mind works best in one or two colors so I've been focusing on that. I'm trying to gear up to start selling, so the simpler the better for now. Good call on following the tag, though.

I have a #12 V, a few #9 gouges in various sizes, and a few Japanese gouges that are probably about #5. The V and my 3mm #9 are my workhorses (though I'm probably going to grab a 1mm #9), and I need to get the Japanese gouges sharpened and start using them. The wood has been baltic birch plywood, and it's been a champ. I've been sealing with a coat or two of Elmers, which has made printing easier and might actually be helping keep the wood from splintering.

Cheers

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Those colors are boss. Marker?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

I honestly don't know whether saying "here's how other people do it" is cool in art, but... here's a couple of examples of clouds in printmaking I thought were cool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/926m0c/orion_landing_blockprint/
https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/8h7m9u/made_a_3_color_reduction_linocut_of_spacex_falcon/

But I like yours a lot!

The Reference God always appreciates new tributes

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jack Daniels posted:

anyone use Clayboard ? sounds like fun from what people are saying. GIVE ME YOUR TIPS AND TRICKS :woomy: :gritin:

edit: claybord :razz:

Use an xacto #12 or scalpel to do any scraping, the standard #11 is useless. Pelikan tusche ink is the best dip ink I know, cheaper India inks tend to sit crustily on top. Watercolor would probably work but I haven’t tried.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jack Daniels posted:

UPDATE: this stuff is cool :stare:

edit: very cool

It really is. I should get back to it.

Be careful, it might be a gateway drug to printmaking.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah, as much as we love Bob, what you see is decades of experience and training, and him using as a template a painting he had made before taping that was sitting just off-camera. A lot of planning and experience go into making those happy accidents.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If you’re phone has a decent camera (anything Apple or Samsung in the last few years definitely) there are apps on both platforms that let you manually set shutter and aperture. Taking a good photo of an art is going to be more about the setup (aka good lighting) than the camera for anything short of print reproductions

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Hello traditionalists! I've been living in the daily thread in a post-show stupor, here are a bunch of quick little 6x6 drawings I've been pumping out in prep for my next fair appearance. Working small and fast has been a fun way to detox, I highly recommend it

And just started carving again for the first time in a few months

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I absolutely love your art. It's my favorite thing in this thread (which is full of amazing art). It makes me want to go paint something immediately.

Thanks! Coincidentally my art is inspired by loving hating to paint.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Fair in a few weeks and getting laid off means it’s printing time!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Jack Daniels posted:

these are frekaing sweet

Thanks!

Finished printing another one

And screwed up alignment on another, so had to debug. Although now I think I’m changing my color scheme for them...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Yesterday a group of folks at my company participated in an event called "Steamroller Smackdown" Basically you carve a gigantic linocut and then ink it and a steamroller rolls over it to make the print. It's pretty fun and a rare opportunity to work super big!
The theme this year was Bridges and when we got the theme I think most of us knew it was going to have to be political, given our current state in the US.

The translation of the graffiti is "There are dreams on this side too"

We took first place and its basically the only time i've ever won anything for art and i'm super jazzed because I feel like we all really kicked butt.

This also fits the thread as well because I still am cleaning ink off various parts of my body because inking something this big and then cleaning up afterwards is insane.

Here's a link to the event for perspective http://slublockparty.com/#art

That’s rad as gently caress

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Hey printmakers, anyone know the pros and cons of relief printing with an etching press vs a press like this or a bottlejack press?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I always liked running my blocks through etching press rollers because the blankets give some amazing embossing effects.

For my home relief printing i'm just using a baren though. I've been considering one of those flat presses just to see how it would go. I assume you could get the same embossing effects just buy putting a felt blanket over your paper like you would etching rollers.

I've only been barren and wooden spoon so far, but I'm starting to do bigger pieces and it's getting real inconvenient. I have speedball's little hand press and haven't been too impressed with it (assuming I'm not doing something fundamentally wrong, I'm suspicious about my inking game), but I hope/assume the woodzilla presses have more power? I was sold on one of those, but I just discovered these guys and their cheap roller press, and it seems pretty compelling. I guess it loses some oomph with rubber instead of metal rollers, but surely that wouldn't matter much to relief printing?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

$5 a sheet? cheese and crackers.

That's a pretty standard price for quality cotton paper. But also at 22x30" you can easily get from it 4-8 sheets at the smaller sizes that a lot of people work at.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

How many cancers do you have now?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Was commissioned to make a big version of a little old sketch. This is the second thing I’ve made on clayboard this week — after a few years of not using it — and I’m remembering how nice it is (and all of the annoying frustrations)

11x14” ink on clayboard

The aforementioned other thing, for the Art Dome

Trabant posted:

My "OK, gently caress this, gently caress me, this is the best it'll get, I give up" print of the year:

I think I did OK with the carving, I just could not get this one to print well.

Rad

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Flavius Aetass posted:

I was looking at a bright patch of a cloudy sky yesterday and it really stumped me. How can a bright area of the sky look simultaneously light yellow and light blue, but not green in any way? Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

As I understand it, it's a mix of 1) it's not like the sky is a single gradient from red-to-blue, it's caused by separate processes that are both not friendly to green wavelengths, and 2) there is a little bit of green, but our brains split it between the blues and yellows it's surrounded by

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

(1) I'm not exactly thrilled with the quality of the prints I've been getting, namely the uneven coverage. I doubt a kiddo would notice/care, but it does lead me to...

Get thee a wooden spoon

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah white ink over black is an exercise in futility. Goache or acrylic paint is the “professional” thing, but really you should only be inking what needs to be inked and nothing more

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My creative energy has been focused elsewhere, but I’ve started doodling again and I feel an urge to print bearing down

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Deep in the printing mines for the first time in a few months, getting in some production runs of some new pieces for the holidays

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Haven’t been doing much art lately, but I’ve hit a kick these last few days. Even changed mediums! (never mind that everything starts as pencil)

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Doing some workshopping for a new print, probably a big one

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I'm showing at four holiday markets and one holiday popup store, so when I haven't been tearing my hair out printing old stuff (which promptly sold out), I made a few new things

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

The holiday market circuit was good to me this year

Time to learn engraving

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

sigma 6 posted:

What the flying gently caress is that?? I just use a laser.

Yeah, the engraving happens elsewhere, but then ink it up and run it through this to print the engraved image

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Exciting day, first prints off the press and my first intaglio prints!

Not my best drawings but it'll do to start

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

My first market of the year is coming up in two weeks (and two weeks after that, and two weeks after that, and a week after that...), so I've started production of some new stuff. The headline? Using the etching press for the first time and ohmygoditmakesthingsomucheasier I've never had such a big area of solid ink come out so smooth

Edit

https://i.imgur.com/HLvdJyU.mp4

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 17, 2022

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Made a bunch of new prints for the spring markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Started working on my biggest print to date, I only have checks notes a week to carve and print it before the next market